Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just back from my 7m pace run - well it was 11.9k, so just over. PMP is 5.35/km and averaged 5.29/km over the run, despite it being deliberately hilly. Felt pretty good all the way round, only a couple of twinges. Feeling a wee bit more confident now about tackling the Clonmel half on Sunday week, only my second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

After battling a stomach bug over the last few days I ventured out to try and run 3-4 miles last night. I felt surprisingly good apart from the feeling that my stomach was in some way detached from the rest of my body! I didn't have any pain, my tummy just made strange gurgling noises:rolleyes:

It was a very humid evening so I sweated buckets but I had take a few dioralytes to keep hydrated.

Anyway I had just gone past the 3 mile mark when I nearly stood on a tiny little bird on the road. I stopped and examined him and he appeared hurt. I am a sucker for animals esp if they appear injured in any way so I picked himup and walked home with him cupped in my hands.

When I got home I examined him further and it appears to have a broken tail. I gave him some water and soaked porraige and put it in a box.

I didn't know if he would make it through the night but when I checked on him this morning he was looking up at me from the box chirping:) I hope that with a kittle TLC his tail will grow back an he'll make a full recovery.

I just thought I'd share this with ye. It's the little things that make people smile...and shorten their run!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Did my 7 mile pace run last night, as others are saying it was… challenging! I averaged a pace of about 8.45 minute miles which I managed for the full seven miles. But it was very humid and muggy and I was very out of puff and sweated buckets. I can feel it in my legs this morning. I will be going for a very, very easy recovery run tonight. I suppose some runs are just going to be tougher than others.

As my husband said to me when I arrived home puffing and sweating… if it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 slobberdanim

Hi guys,

There have been two entries put in the sheet - one last week by "custom" and one this week on the same line by "Barso"

Neither of these names have been active in the thread that I can see. Would you mind letting me know if either / both are you (am trying to figure out if this is the same person / two seperate people or someone messing about)
    Hi Pageant Messiah, Barso is real - it's me - and the "custom" is not me as I only searched and found this forum this week. Have been running casually for a year and did DLR 10K and enjoyed it a lot. If I put the km in, I hope to do full 42km in October.

I should add: I am new to Boards and the spreadsheet, so perhaps messed the spreadsheet up a bit. Sorry! If someone can fix it up that would be great. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

darabbit wrote: »
    Anyway I had just gone past the 3 mile mark when I nearly stood on a tiny little bird on the road. I stopped and examined him and he appeared hurt. I am a sucker for animals esp if they appear injured in any way so I picked himup and walked home with him cupped in my hands.

When I got home I examined him further and it appears to have a broken tail. I gave him some water and soaked porraige and put it in a box.

I didn't know if he would make it through the night but when I checked on him this morning he was looking up at me from the box chirping:) I hope that with a kittle TLC his tail will grow back an he'll make a full recovery.

I just thought I'd share this with ye. It's the little things that make people smile...and shorten their run!!

Good on you, nice to see people are willing to take time out of their lives for this kind of thing well done.

• Advertisement

hey guys....anybody do foam rolling as part of their preperation? If so, do you do it before/after runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

another humid day out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Trampas wrote: »
    another humid day out there

Yeah and I put off my 7 mile pace run last night in favour of tonight. I'm doing it in a gym as well which doesn't have air conditioning so I'll be sweating buckets and may have to make it a slow run instead.

Has ayone joined any meetup groups or anything similar yet for these long runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi Pageant Messiah, Barso is real - it's me - and the "custom" is not me as I only searched and found this forum this week. Have been running casually for a year and did DLR 10K and enjoyed it a lot. If I put the km in, I hope to do full 42km in October.

I should add: I am new to Boards and the spreadsheet, so perhaps messed the spreadsheet up a bit. Sorry! If someone can fix it up that would be great. Thanks.

Welcome !

That's no problem at all. If you don't mind I have changed your name on the sheet to match your username here. It's easier for us all to have the same name so that we can message each other / refer to the sheet on thread etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

slim4life wrote: »
    hey guys....anybody do foam rolling as part of their preperation? If so, do you do it before/after runs?

I do mine after runs, then follow with a bit of stretching. I do it religiously after long runs and if the mood takes me after the midweek ones :o. i find it helps a lot with ITB niggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I use a foam roller as I have suffered with ITB in past and find the roller prevents the injury from reoccurring. I tend to use it on my rest days esp before my long run. I sometime us it if I feel my hamstrings tight.
    It was the best few quid I ever spent but you don't even need to buy one as you can use wavin pipe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Mr Slow wrote: »
    This is 'The Stick' it's great for your calves in particular.

This is 'The Grid' Foam Roller, can be used on your calves but more effective on your IT Band and Quads.

This is a Sliotar, great for Glutes:eek:

This is Tiger Balm, (available in your local Chemist) get the red one work it into your calves with your thumbs over the course of a few days and you should feel great benefits.:)

If you're running, you'll benefit from having some routine involving at least some of the above.

Just bumping this post from Mr Slow, might answer some of the queries about rollers. Wondering if the roller would be beneficial for calves, that would be the area I get most tightness in.

Edit, just adding this link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055898631

darabbit wrote: »
    I use a foam roller as I have suffered with ITB in past and find the roller prevents the injury from reoccurring. I tend to use it on my rest days esp before my long run. I sometime us it if I feel my hamstrings tight.
    It was the best few quid I ever spent but you don't even need to buy one as you can use wavin pipe too.

Jinxremoving and darabbit thanks for the tips. Had heard about the wavin pipe but would sooner buy one, have this vision of it snapping under my weight and stabbing me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Jinxremoving and darabbit thanks for the tips. Had heard about the wavin pipe but would sooner buy one, have this vision of it snapping under my weight and stabbing me lol.

I use the Grid after long runs and find it great. I bought mine in Physio Needs on Bath Street, Dublin 4 for around 40 euros.

http://www.physioneeds.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

rasher_m wrote: »
    Yeah and I put off my 7 mile pace run last night in favour of tonight. I'm doing it in a gym as well which doesn't have air conditioning so I'll be sweating buckets and may have to make it a slow run instead.

Has ayone joined any meetup groups or anything similar yet for these long runs?

There is a running club in my area but the times really don't suit me with work hours I run with music so I dont know how I will get through the race next month

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I'm using mine every day. I'm nursing a knee problem that I'm trying to keep at bay. It's really good for keeping everything from tightening up. On run days I use it after my run. Really good piece of kit and I'd recommend getting one to everyone that hasn't yet. I've got a pressure point one for extra torture!

Real life kind of getting in the way of training this week. I still have a knee problem thats worrying me. I'm broke from all the Physio visits. Got 3.5 miles done Tuesday. Last night was to be 6, however hubby couldn't get home from work and my little fella had football training. Decided to improvise and thought I would just run laps around the field they train in. Got there and the grass badly needed a cut, started running, one lap was 0.3 miles. I knew I was in trouble then, gave up at 2 miles. I just couldn't run around that field one more time. The boredom, plus it was like running through water trying to get through the grass. So it was abandon ship. I've a 5k race tommorrow so my new plan is 2 mile warm up plus race. It's not quite the six miles but it will do. I'm a bit worried how my knee is going to react from here on in with the mileage increases but I'm giving it a go any how. Have to go now watch Bolt win the 200 metres

bad run this evening. pain in the ball of my foot has worsened to the point of not being able to run on it without bad pain. also pain in my hip on that side, i assume from the foot pain causing me to run weirdly on it. feel so frustrated.

can anyone recommend a physio by pm? Terenure area or even city centre?
    Think its time i got this one sorted!!

bad run this evening. pain in the ball of my foot has worsened to the point of not being able to run on it without bad pain. also pain in my hip on that side, i assume from the foot pain causing me to run weirdly on it. feel so frustrated.

Sent you pm

Loads of people including me have bought runners from base 2 race and they seem to have a physio so I guess he wouldn't be bad

http://www.base2race.ie/stores/dk-orthotics/

I have my own physio but in Kildare so no use to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Comeback continues ...

Ran home from work tonight - total distance of 9km. About 600m shy of the scheduled 6 mile but will take it. Had a couple of elective walk breaks on the way - with a subtle difference that I had planned a couple of 100m walks along the way and took the first one in particular even though I didn't desperately need it. Conquered a bitch of a hill non stop (it's a 22 metre climb in 1 kilometre according to google earth) after 7k. Covered the 9k in just under 59 minutes but didn't feel shattered at the end. I know it's relatively slow but it's a good time for a comfortable mid distance run for me.

Hi, I don't know what the problem with the ball of the foot is in your case but that was happening to me for ages. It felt inflamed or really sore and raw, then I bought the proper running socks as in the ones that cost about 17 quid and i dont get it any more. Im guessing the sweat and friction was irritating the skin and causing it to become tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Just shy of 15kms tonight. After 10km of a steady aerobic run, I picked up the pace for a few kms towards the end, and I'm pretty happy that I could maintain it as it's the first time I've put in sub 5 minute kms since coming back from my torn calf muscle.

Legs feel like jelly now though :(

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/208589705

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

jprender wrote: »
    Just shy of 15kms tonight. After 10km of a steady aerobic run, I picked up the pace for a few kms towards the end, and I'm pretty happy that I could maintain it as it's the first time I've put in sub 5 minute kms since coming back from my torn calf muscle.

Legs feel like jelly now though :(

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/208589705

I know the feeling.;)

Absolutely destroyed by an 18 mile LSR. I know its unknown territory for me and i shouldn't be fresh as daisies after it but i was like a zombie by the end. Just got out of the wrong side of the bed me thinks.

I'm just gonna tick over until race on Sunday, then rest week thank God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

corny wrote: »

I know the feeling.;)

Absolutely destroyed by an 18 mile LSR. I know its unknown territory for me and i shouldn't be fresh as daisies after it but i was like a zombie by the end. Just got out of the wrong side of the bed me thinks.

Don't over do it corny, i'd rest up till Sunday if your racing. 18 miles will take it out of you especially in that heat outside. Great running by the way.

corny wrote: »
    I know the feeling.;)

I second that, brilliant running...I havnt gone there yet but hopefully in a few weeks I'll be talking my 18 miler ;)

thanks a lot everyone, i am going to book an appointment with a physio - thanks deedee! will also try new socks and try some new trainers and hopefully i'll be back on track. this thread is great! :D

I was thinking of clocking some miles on the DCM course for LSR but it isn't very friendly for staring anywhere from phoenix park on wards to create a loop back without running over 20miles.

I wanted to run from around Crumlin to Ballsbridge are and back to Crumlin as I think it would help a lot on the day.

On running in Dublin what is it like as I live in the sticks so hardly ever have to deal with crossing roads with traffic. Do people run on the road and/or footpath especially when it comes to traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Aches & Pain, Niggles & Injuries

Anyone who is experiencing difficulties that are more that just aches and pains need to get medical advice from an expert and shouldn’t leave it too long, sooner rather than later, but there are plenty who have aches and pains and this will happen as the mileage increases and you are running further and for longer!
    Here are Four general tips for dealing with aches and pains – R.I.C.E

Rest - most aches and pains will go away with a bit of rest, and if you are pushing on during runs when you are tired, this will lead to picking up an injury. This is why a good marathon plan will include some stepback weeks and this is why you should not mess with the stepback weeks.
    And sometimes you'll need some more rest. Take a day off, do an easy recovery run or some light cross training instead. Keep you runs slow!!

Ice - bag of frozen peas to the sore area for 15 minutes will relieve pain and reduce swelling

Compress - with a bandage, training tape, or support. Reduces swelling, and supports the area during recovery

Elevate - put your feet up! Also reduces swelling

And don't worry too much about missing a session here or there. If you complete 80-90% of the marathon training program, you are doing well. You are better off resting when you need to than running yourself into an injury, and in any race you will perform better if you are 10% undertrained than 1% overtrained.

Gels in training and races

Its time to buy a few and try out the different types of Gels and Part of LSR's training is to improve our bodies ability to obtain its energy requirements from Fat stores. This is achieved by running down its current fuel store (glycogen depletion). The taking of gels too early in training runs will hamper this process. Think of it like a petrol tank, when the yellow light comes on then we put in a bit of fuel.

The point at which the yellow light comes on varies from person to person and how effective their aerobic system is. Most runners should be able to do a 12/14 mile LSR without requiring a gel. Yes you will feel wrecked and slow down but this is because the body has to, in order to facilitate the generation of energy from fat stores. You should not need more the 1-2 gels on runs between 16-20 miles and do not take them until the later end of the runs.

It is more important to fill the tank back up after the run. Make sure you eat properly after the race and throughout the day, eating good food and not too much crap

But when Racing, this is different…When doing Races, we need to keep the tank topped up as much as possible. So we take on some form of simple carbs (gels, jelly babies, bananas, whatever) as early as possible in the race and continue this process until the later stages or end if you can still stomach food at this point.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »
    I was thinking of clocking some miles on the DCM course for LSR but it isn't very friendly for staring anywhere from phoenix park on wards to create a loop back without running over 20miles.

I wanted to run from around Crumlin to Ballsbridge are and back to Crumlin as I think it would help a lot on the day.

On running in Dublin what is it like as I live in the sticks so hardly ever have to deal with crossing roads with traffic. Do people run on the road and/or footpath especially when it comes to traffic lights.

Run on the path and then when you get to the lights its a matter of being lucky, sometimes theres no traffic or some people will stop their cars to let you pass but its always footpaths. I always jog on the spot if i'm caught at the lights.
    Keep an eye out for the cycle tracks as well. Some paths are half pedestrian/half cycle lane and its easy to drift off into the cycle lane when you're moseying along and then some lunatic skims by you which can be a rude awakening.

Advertisement