Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks Meno. I saw you running back out to cheer on the stragglers. Fair play! The pacers were brill to be fair. Really helped me out up the hills. Was sorry to see the balloons disappearing:D

Haha, I was actually running back out to clock up the 20 miles I had on my program for today.

You would definitely have kept up with the balloons had they been able to run at 1:50 pace all the way. If you are doing Dublin Half you will definitely be capable of 1:40 I think. I'll be one of the 1:40 pacers and I am petty sure the course won't be too long :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha, I was actually running back out to clock up the 20 miles I had on my program for today.

You would definitely have kept up with the balloons had they been able to run at 1:50 pace all the way. If you are doing Dublin Half you will definitely be capable of 1:40 I think. I'll be one of the 1:40 pacers and I am petty sure the course won't be too long :D
    Kilkenny half is the next target...nice flat course or so I'm led to believe!!!! You may as well take credit for cheering on the stragglers anyway....sounds a bit better than just making up your distance for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

13 miles this morning, including a chunk on the DCM course, wanted to see Clonskeagh rd, Roebuck rd for myself. I was trying to picture myself at that point in October, it was fine this morning cos I was only 7 miles in at that point, it will be a different story 20 miles in. It was useful to give part of the course a go and I think I will continue to do the LSR on the course. Will try to jig things so I get to Clonskeagh nearer the end of my runs. My knee started to hurt at mile 2, I needed to pee from 2.5, I'm not a squat in the bushes sort of girl so that was starting to worry me. Luckily the dropping well at Milltown was open for breakfast and I'm very grateful to the barman who let me use the facilities! Stitch started at mile 3! I brought a sports drink and water in two hand held beakers, luckily I brought money cos the water ran out at mile 8 and I had to buy some. I think food was a problem from 10 miles on, I started to feel I needed something, will def get some gels for the next run. Was only scheduled for 12 but the loop left me finishing a mile from home and at that stage I just wanted to get home so I ran the rest. 2 hours 20, I'm very happy with that I'm not a fast runner and never will be. Got into an ice bath when I got home and I swear my legs feel better than they usually do after a LSR and my knee which has been a problem for the last 5 weeks isn't too bad. Went off this afternoon and bought a belt to carry water bottles, hopefully that will make things more comfortable. Got a boost in confidence from this morning, tough but doable!

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    13 miles this morning, including a chunk on the DCM course, wanted to see Clonskeagh rd, Roebuck rd for myself. I was trying to picture myself at that point in October, it was fine this morning cos I was only 7 miles in at that point, it will be a different story 20 miles in. It was useful to give part of the course a go and I think I will continue to do the LSR on the course. Will try to jig things so I get to Clonskeagh nearer the end of my runs. My knee started to hurt at mile 2, I needed to pee from 2.5, I'm not a squat in the bushes sort of girl so that was starting to worry me. Luckily the dropping well at Milltown was open for breakfast and I'm very grateful to the barman who let me use the facilities! Stitch started at mile 3! I brought a sports drink and water in two hand held beakers, luckily I brought money cos the water ran out at mile 8 and I had to buy some. I think food was a problem from 10 miles on, I started to feel I needed something, will def get some gels for the next run. Was only scheduled for 12 but the loop left me finishing a mile from home and at that stage I just wanted to get home so I ran the rest. 2 hours 20, I'm very happy with that I'm not a fast runner and never will be. Got into an ice bath when I got home and I swear my legs feel better than they usually do after a LSR and my knee which has been a problem for the last 5 weeks isn't too bad. Went off this afternoon and bought a belt to carry water bottles, hopefully that will make things more comfortable. Got a boost in confidence from this morning, tough but doable!
    Sounds like an eventful run:D I'm a convert to the ice bath as well (actually not been brave enough for ice yet but way I look at it cold water same thing:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ok Week 8 is now ready (again :D) Apologies to anyone who entered data this morning. Unfortunately some of this was wiped out sorting out the issues reported earlier.

Good news though is we're over 9,000 miles logged.

• Advertisement

Yay I don't have to scroll down anymore to find my name :D Thanks PM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭fungirl1

Hi5 the pre dissolved one without caffeine berry flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Finished off the week with an 8km recovery run yesterday, and 21km's today.

The run today had the final 13kms at PMP, and I was knackered after it :(

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/209618346

Rest day tomorrow, but I might try and get some cross training done just to keep the legs ticking over.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Folks I'm wondering has anyone else got a pain on the outside of one of their knees. Mine only start hurting after I finish any run over 11 miles. The pain goes after a few hours.

From what I know it's muscle swelling do needs more stretching. Going to see the physio this week to get it looked at. So I was just wondering is anyone else got something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

stevekavo wrote: »
    Folks I'm wondering has anyone else got a pain on the outside of one of their knees. Mine only start hurting after I finish any run over 11 miles. The pain goes after a few hours.

From what I know it's muscle swelling do needs more stretching. Going to see the physio this week to get it looked at. So I was just wondering is anyone else got something similar?

Sounds like ITB problems, but the physio will confirm. I get it sometimes. Constant repeated stretching will sort it (generally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Alanm

I see from the logs that a few of us are already running 16+ mile lsr's at the weekend. Would any of you mind sharing your long run distance plans between now and the marathon? I've been roughly following HH2 (about 3/4 weeks ahead right now) and I'm not sure whether I should repeat a 3 week block or if I would benefit more from adding some extra miles each week and maybe getting a 21 and 22 mile lsr in. I've read time and again that I should trust the plan (I'm trying to) and that it will work - but I still can't get my head around the fact that my longest run will by 10k short of the full distance we'll be running on the day...

My 17 mile run today went well and I've been building very gradually which seems to have helped keep the injuries at bay. I never really expected to get this far into the plan without picking up a few niggles and having to rest for the odd week here and there (I had quite a few problems while training for connemara full which meant I dropped down to the half)!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Did my LSR of 14m yesterday morning; that's the longest distance I've ever covered :D I've done a few half marathon races before and there's always been lots of ceremony about it - people cheering you on, t-shirts & goodie bags etc. Yesterday I finished the run, stretched, lunch with family & just got on with the day. This must be what it's like to be a "proper runner" I thought... :rolleyes: It's a big psychological hurdle out of the way now, as I know I can go further than my previous max of 13.1m. And looking ahead at the training schedule, there's a run longer than a half-marathon almost every weekend between now & the DCM! :eek::eek::eek:

Anyway 14m was not as bad as I thought it would be. I did a scorchio 4m during the week carrying 10oz water which was long finished before I got home. As it was a somewhat cooler / less scorchio morning yesterday, I'd enough water (20oz) to keep me going til about 12.5m, at which point I was near home again so popped in to fill up again & get the last 1.5m done properly, rather than passing out from dehydration on my doorstep

Pace was very slow (intentionally to start, and then it was all I was able for by the end). Total time: 02:48, average pace was a fairly consistent 12 min/mile. Took a High 5 IsoGel (orange) at about 9-9.5m. Wasn't too keen on this as the flavour was pretty bland. I've another berry flavour to try next week. I don't really know if they're doing anything for me, but I'll concede to the expert consensus on this! Since I was carrying a snack pack of gummies I took those at about 11.5m (I'd already decided I was heading home for water at this stage).

Next weekend: 15m LSR! :eek: I'm back in Dublin so I think I'm going to venture out of the Phoenix Park & see a bit of the south-side of the DCM route. I'll bring some money to buy water en route, and I expect it to take even longer than 12mins x 15miles, with stopping for lights, dodging pedestrians, etc.

Was planning to just join in the DCM route in the park, cover the next 15m & take the bus back home, but now remembering how sweaty / sunscreeny / dusty I was on Saturday afternoon, :o I think I'll take the bus across town & run home! Also can get my nuts, milkshake & stretching started as soon as I finish rather than having an hour's trek back across the city. Looking forward to the change of scenery next weekend!

Alanm wrote: »
    I see from the logs that a few of us are already running 16+ mile lsr's at the weekend. Would any of you mind sharing your long run distance plans between now and the marathon? I've been roughly following HH2 (about 3/4 weeks ahead right now) and I'm not sure whether I should repeat a 3 week block or if I would benefit more from adding some extra miles each week and maybe getting a 21 and 22 mile lsr in. I've read time and again that I should trust the plan (I'm trying to) and that it will work - but I still can't get my head around the fact that my longest run will by 10k short of the full distance we'll be running on the day...

I'm one of the total novices on here, but Hal The Man reckons a max 20m run is enough. Maybe do a few 20m LSRs if you want, but he doesn't think it's necessary. He posted a link to this article on this twitter last week 20m max article

Alanm wrote: »
    I see from the logs that a few of us are already running 16+ mile lsr's at the weekend. Would any of you mind sharing your long run distance plans between now and the marathon?
    Hi Alan. No prob...but I will have to kill you after :p Sorry lame joke I know! I'm doing HHN2 as well and I'll be pretty much sticking to the distance of the lsr in the plan. Only exception will be wk 15 where the run in the plan is 20 m but the one I have mapped out is 23 m. Can't really get round this unless I have someone come and collect me but I think it should be ok cause I'll be tapering for the last 3 weeks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Iangolf

This was my first week of over 26.2 miles. So I now know I should be able to complete the marathon even if it takes me a week. 20k LSR on Thursday went well, I did it in 1.57 which I probably started a little too quick. Finished the week with the Celbridge 5k race in 22.59 which I was very happy with.

Looking forward to the 10 mile in the park in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Alanm

I'm one of the total novices on here, but Hal The Man reckons a max 20m run is enough. Maybe do a few 20m LSRs if you want, but he doesn't think it's necessary. He posted a link to this article on this twitter last week 20m max article

Thanks for the link, I didnt realise that the 20 mile max was for most of his plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Alanm - if you think about it, your plan will bring you up to 30-odd miles in your longest week. When you taper down, you'll be doing a handfull of miles in the week of the marathon, just to keep you ticking over. By marathon day, you'll be bursting with energy and raring to go, ready to burst through those 26.2. Or that's a theory anyway! :confused:

Shortie, I've also found little benefit in using gels that early. While it's useful to try them out at this stage, just to pick one you think you can work with, you'll probably find you haven't exhausted your glycogen stores yet (if you can remember back a couple of thousand posts to where this was all explained :p) so they don't really have a benefit. And, if I understand it correctly, you shouldn't really get a bang of energy from them - just you shouldn't run out of fuel. I find jelly babies are great for the bang of energy though.

For myself, I got my 14m LSR done yesterday, followed by just under 50k on the bike this morning (2 hrs). Should sleep well tonight hopefully.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I find jelly babies are great for the bang of energy though.
    And they're definitely tastier! :p
    Sweet dreams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Just looking for opinions on this, have 17 mile LSR for next Sunday, i'm running Slane 10 mile that day which i plan doing at MP, is it alright to do the remaining 7 miles later that evening at easy pace as i have to rush into work more or less after race. What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

stevekavo wrote: »

I'm not a physio but from personal experience it sounds like like it's your ITB complaining. I had this problem before I found out about the foam roller. I roll out my ITBs with the foam roller.. Hurts like hell but worth it in long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm not a fast runner and never will be.

Oh yes you will! We'll work on that after the marathon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Well I ran a 16 mile lsr this evening. Its the longest I've ever run. I took the dog again and had to endure 11 miles in the park pulling her back from going for other dogs but she was good company and it was a bit like doing Fartlek training cause she would burst into a sprint when she caught sight of another dog about 100m away and then back to the jog again.

I brought a water belt with me and there are two bottles on it, I thought I could have done with another pint of water towards the end but I got around anyway. For the last 4 miles my knees were sore enough but I ran a quickish 8 miler on Friday so I was probably a bit tired from that too.

I also didnt find any benefit from the gel, I had the get at about 12 miles and before that had an Electrolyte mix in the water bottles. Still its good to experiment and find out what works.

I think I'll bring another bottle of water next time and some jellies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'm looking for a bit of advice please - instead of my 15m LSR this weekend coming I'm going to do the Clonmel half. My target marathon time is <4hr, my 1/2 marathon PB (only half) is 1:56 (Wexford '12), set after way too few weeks post-injury training.

There are 1:45 & 2:00 pacers in Clonmel but the course is hillier than Wexford - still I'd love to crack 1:50. Would I be nuts to try go with the 1:45's, risking burning out & falling back, or would I be better to start with the 2:00's and try push on after a while and see where I can get? My only problem with that is that I prefer to run at a consistent pace, so wouldn't be thrilled with trying to push on and claw back some time in the 2nd half of the race...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm looking for a bit of advice please - instead of my 15m LSR this weekend coming I'm going to do the Clonmel half. My target marathon time is <4hr, my 1/2 marathon PB (only half) is 1:56 (Wexford '12), set after way too few weeks post-injury training.

There are 1:45 & 2:00 pacers in Clonmel but the course is hillier than Wexford - still I'd love to crack 1:50. Would I be nuts to try go with the 1:45's, risking burning out & falling back, or would I be better to start with the 2:00's and try push on after a while and see where I can get? My only problem with that is that I prefer to run at a consistent pace, so wouldn't be thrilled with trying to push on and claw back some time in the 2nd half of the race...

You don't have to go with pacers just because they are there.

If you are looking to run 1:50 then starting at 2hr pace is too slow and starting at 1;45 pace is too fast. Neihtr will give you an optimum result.
    You should go at you own pace between the two groups. Maybe use the 1:45s as a guide and let them drift away from you over the first few miles. Alternatively just try to hold an average of 8:20ish pace if you have a GPS watch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Go with the 2hr group i would suggest and push on if you feel you can Dilbert, 1.45 is average of 8min miles, if you feel you can sustain that pace for the duration of the race go with them. Otherwise as i said start with 2hrs and push on, say your well capable of 1.50 looking at out training log.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Younganne wrote: »
    Stretching .. its just a matter of getting a little routine going for yourself that you follow after every run

http://www.netfit.co.uk/stretching_cool_down.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/flexibility/a/aa040703a.htm

Thanks for this, tried them out and seems good.

Did 1st 12 mile LSR on Saturday @12 mpm, never run so far, felt good afterwards, feeling hopeful! Next two weeks may be tough as going on hols next sat to Spain and will do 14 mile LSR before flying and keep training fully (early mornings) while there. I started late so time to pay the piper!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm not a fast runner and never will be.

Oh yes you will! We'll work on that after the marathon :)

Are you trying to frighten me away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Hi All,
    Quick Q - The HH program has the half marathon in for next week... should we just cover that distance instead? or push it out a bit? Thanks

Did a LSR of 13 miles on Saturday morning. felt fairly okay. Took 2 hours 20 mins as we walked for a bit half way & kept the pace down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sounds like everyone had a bit of an ‘off’ week last week. I think the humid, muggy weather is a lot of the problem, that and people are probably hitting a bit of a mid training lull. I know speaking for myself, the initial buzz has sort of worn off and it’s too far to the marathon to get excited! I’m just going to put the head down and get the next few weeks done and hopefully the marathon buzz will be starting to kick in then!

I actually enjoyed my 15 mile LSR on Saturday, I had been nervous because I had missed the previous weeks 9 mile LSR and had had a very sluggish week up to that point, but the run went great. It was quite warm, but there was a breeze so that made running easier. I had a pace of about 2 hrs 24, so about 9min 40 second miles, so well pleased with that. In fact, I was only due to do 14 miles, but felt fresh enough to get an extra mile done.

Had an issue with my gel though, I had a High 5 hooked into one of the loops on my water belt, it split slightly so I put it in the pouch on my belt. Course it leaked everywhere, all over my phone and keys :mad:. I ended up taking it earlier than intended just to get rid of it and it was half empty, so probably didn’t get that much benefit from it. Still, I didn’t feel I really needed it. I’m going to buy a belt with a bigger pouch that can fit the High 5 gels, I suppose it’s good that I’m getting this sort of stuff sorted now rather than on race day!

Roll on the Clonmel ½ on Sunday, I’m really nervous about it! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Just looking for opinions on this, have 17 mile LSR for next Sunday, i'm running Slane 10 mile that day which i plan doing at MP, is it alright to do the remaining 7 miles later that evening at easy pace as i have to rush into work more or less after race. What do people think?
    If it was me i'd do one mile w/u and c/d run the race as fast as I could and forget about the other 5 miles :D

Disclaimer: I have been called lazy in the past

Advertisement