Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

If it was me i'd do one mile w/u and c/d run the race as fast as I could and forget about the other 5 miles :D

Disclaimer: I have been called lazy in the past

Agree with you on w/u & c/d miles, no way i'm racing it flat out. Its as hilly as our half marathon yesterday. Don't fancy two sadistic races in 7 days! I'll decide on the other 5 miles after the race next week. Thanks for the input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

am very happy with the amount of running i got done over the last week, almost met 100% of the target! finished the LSR on wednesday, probably do the same this week. Hopefully can get back to them on weekends soon though, i really dont enjoy doing them midweek. im always too rushed.

had a great week of it too, got a new bill hicks cd for my bday last week, had a listen while doing the 14 miles. not nearly as good as running with my usual running partner, but still made it much more palatable.

this week im going to be experimenting with a gel for the first time. ill be close enough to home for the long one, so if it goes dodgy ill at least be able to get home ok. but definatly was struggling with the water and sports drink last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

I'm going on holidays on the 24th of August. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate holidays into the schedule. It's only 5 days so nothing drastic but I haven't missed anything so far and always ran my distances. The following is what I expect to do.

WEEK MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN

7(done) Rest 4 m run 7 m pace 4 m run Rest Rest 14
    8 Rest 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 15 Rest
    9 4 m run 7 m pace 4 m run Half Hols Hols Hols
    10 Hols Hols 4 m run 8 m pace 4 m run Rest 17

Do people think this is alright or should I leave that 7m pace out? It's meant to be a step back week so perhaps I should be able to run all of this okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

could you fit in a quick run (even just 3 miles) over the 5 day hol?

otherwise, id saw youll be ok, ive done something similar, but youll know yourself come the time if you need to reduce the distance

Whats the half you have in on week 9 Noel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Agree with you on w/u & c/d miles, no way i'm racing it flat out. Its as hilly as our half marathon yesterday. Don't fancy two sadistic races in 7 days! I'll decide on the other 5 miles after the race next week. Thanks for the input.
    Well I felt bad cause everyone was obviously ignoring you cause you're so fast :p Thought Menoscemo would help you out but I think he's watching his back too
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I must have finished near you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

tang1 wrote: »
    Whats the half you have in on week 9 Noel?

Oh I'm doing Novice 2 so it's planned for week 9. I haven't entered into a half marathon at all actually.

NoelJ wrote: »
    Oh I'm doing Novice 2 so it's planned for week 9. I haven't entered into a half marathon at all actually.

Get ya, i just thought you were doing a 7 mile pace & a half in one week. What you have planned seems grand, as folan said even if you got a short 3 miles in on your hols. It wont cost you anything if you dont.

Well I felt bad cause everyone was obviously ignoring you cause you're so fast :p Thought Menoscemo would help you out but I think he's watching his back too

I think meno's back is ok for a while yet, l have a long way to go to get near his standard. I'm far from fast, but i'll take it as a compliment though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Does anyone know of a good( cheap ) place to get a garmin or another type gps watch as i am sick of using my phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

stevekavo wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good( cheap ) place to get a garmin or another type gps watch as i am sick of using my phone?

try ebay maybe adverts have something

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Got mine on ebay. Plenty of them up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

sayno wrote: »

Got mine on ebay. Plenty of them up there.

Amazon!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

I got my garmin 405 on ebay from USA. quick delivery and no prob so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Skidrow wrote: »
    I got my garmin 405 on ebay from USA. quick delivery and no prob so far.

Did it get stopped at customs. That's the only thing I'd be worried about if I was ordering from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Did it get stopped at customs. That's the only thing I'd be worried about if I was ordering from the states.

Try Amazon.co.uk, I've ordered 2 in the last 6 months, one as a gift and one for me, cost effective and quick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Just checked my ebay account, actually Garmin came from UK, so there was no issues with customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Not long back from 22.5k / 14 mile run from last week's HHN2 plan - physio advised taking it easy last week due to recurring niggle on my leg and this happily coincided with a friends 2 day wedding party so didnt have to worry about hangovers:) (although I dont think energetic dancing on friday night could be considered too 'restful';)). Anyway too wrecked last night so put off till today so plan is to push out wk 8 runs by one day each this week and continue on with plan (assuimng leg holds out..)

Awful for 7-13k as the sun was beating down but got a 2nd wind once it went down and surprised myself by still having energy at the end (usually collapse with exhaustion outside apt gates after a long run...). Was nervous about it all day as longest distance yet so good to see training is paying off:D Am praying for a turn in the weather for the Phoenix park 10miler though as cannot run fast in heat:(

Physio recomended getting a foam roller - any suggetions on where can get one, ideally on the cheap (sorry, think its been mentioned before but we're 150+ pages now so difficult to find things..)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

FiiFii wrote: »
    Physio recomended getting a foam roller - any suggetions on where can get one, ideally on the cheap (sorry, think its been mentioned before but we're 150+ pages now so difficult to find things..)

I got one in Elverys at the bottom of Grafton St a few weeks ago. It's just a short thick blue foam roll, not one of the fancy hollow ones with kind of tyre treads on the outside. But it seems to be working for me! Can't remember exactly how much it was though. I'd say not less than €12, not more than €20, if that's any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I got one in Elverys at the bottom of Grafton St a few weeks ago. It's just a short thick blue foam roll, not one of the fancy hollow ones with kind of tyre treads on the outside. But it seems to be working for me! Can't remember exactly how much it was though. I'd say not less than €12, not more than €20, if that's any help!

I got mine online but local is obviously better. It's invaluable btw, I haven't looked back since getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Martin_ie2012

hi am doing the clonmel half on sunday. am nervous and excited about it as its my first half. No idea what time to expect. Anyway do any of the more experienced mentors have any opinion on following the plan this week. I am following hals novice 1 plan should i do the 3 runs as plannned at an easy pace or should i maybe drop the thursday one. Any advice much appreciated as always.

Me too - and I'm going to do my 3 midweek runs and use the half as my weekend LSR (HHN2 has me doing 15 so I reckon racing 13.1 + WU & CD will be good).

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

That sounds reasonable - elverys near me in Dundrum so might try there first before head into town. Thanks:)

Argos have / had them too. About 3 ft long, 8" diameter, branded by Jessica Ennis - €25 I think when we got it a few months ago. Just a smooth surface though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just back from a 4.3 mile run - the first in weeks completely niggle free:D:D I even picked the pace up a bit to test it and felt absolutely nothing! My hip injury for the last 3.5 weeks is slowly turning into a fading memory and I am delighted to be getting back on track. Anyway had to share, there'll be no wiping the smile off my face today :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Progress ??? report.

Went out for my LSR yesterday evening / last night (it was night before finishing :P) Ended up with 18k done which is my furthest ever distance. I also took my first 2 sets of gels which I think I did benefit from energy wise along the way.

There is though a set of negatives with this. I struggled and struggled badly from the halfway point on and literally limped home half running / half walking. Total time of 2 hours 15 minutes for 18k would be heading towards a well over 5 hours time in October.

Pace wise I went out at a slow pace - covered the first 7k in 47 minutes so circa 6:45 per km which to be fair couldn't have been much slower without walking. By the time I got home it had fallen back to over 8:00 per km. The issue simply was that my legs couldn't take it. My breathing was fine, mentally I was fine, I felt like I had plenty of energy (the gels did help on this) but my legs couldn't do it if that makes any sense. Muscles and joints ached and the legs were wobbling / stopping before I even realised it. Even now the following morning I am in a lot of pain walking.

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that I have jumped into this a bit too soon. I really should have given it a year running and losing weight before signing up for DCM. I knew it would be tough but I didn't realise how slow my progress would be and October seems very close at this point !

All that said I'm not a quitter and will be pushing on. I do think though that my goal will have to be just to finish the thing this year and begin worrying about times / running it all the way etc next year when I will be starting from a solid base rather than starting as a complete beginner to running.

In the mean time would it be worth trying to do some strength training on the legs at this stage as this is my weak link.

That sounds reasonable - elverys near me in Dundrum so might try there first before head into town. Thanks:)

It's worth spending the extra few bob on one of these (about €50), it will actually save you money on physio bills in the long run and will outlast several foam rollers. Base 2 Race have them in Ballymount.

In the mean time would it be worth trying to do some strength training on the legs at this stage as this is my weak link.

I find cycling good way of helping strenghten the legs PM, works muscles in legs that running doesn't. But what your are doing is best way of the legs getting stronger, running, they will improve believe me. Chin up, we all have runs that kind of deflate us, what we are taking on is a big task at the end of the day. What is it they say 'if marathons were easy we would all be doing them'.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Anyone know what the training plan is, I have looked back over the last few pages but can't see it for this week, thanks

• Advertisement

You need to build up your running strength, it takes time but you've gotten this far.

Print out the Dublin route map and mark off your 18km, everytime you go further on your LSR mark off the distance, it will help greatly in the latter miles as you picture yourself marking off the route when you get home have an ice bath later to relieve your muscles and keep the pace slow for the rest of the week. In a few weeks you'll pass 18km on your way to 2xkm and it will be much easier. The hard days are there for mental strength and remember, if there were no difficulty, everyone would run a marathon ;)

Advertisement