Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Progress ??? report.

Went out for my LSR yesterday evening / last night (it was night before finishing :P) Ended up with 18k done which is my furthest ever distance. I also took my first 2 sets of gels which I think I did benefit from energy wise along the way.

There is though a set of negatives with this. I struggled and struggled badly from the halfway point on and literally limped home half running / half walking. Total time of 2 hours 15 minutes for 18k would be heading towards a well over 5 hours time in October.

Pace wise I went out at a slow pace - covered the first 7k in 47 minutes so circa 6:45 per km which to be fair couldn't have been much slower without walking. By the time I got home it had fallen back to over 8:00 per km. The issue simply was that my legs couldn't take it. My breathing was fine, mentally I was fine, I felt like I had plenty of energy (the gels did help on this) but my legs couldn't do it if that makes any sense. Muscles and joints ached and the legs were wobbling / stopping before I even realised it. Even now the following morning I am in a lot of pain walking.

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that I have jumped into this a bit too soon. I really should have given it a year running and losing weight before signing up for DCM. I knew it would be tough but I didn't realise how slow my progress would be and October seems very close at this point !

All that said I'm not a quitter and will be pushing on. I do think though that my goal will have to be just to finish the thing this year and begin worrying about times / running it all the way etc next year when I will be starting from a solid base rather than starting as a complete beginner to running.

In the mean time would it be worth trying to do some strength training on the legs at this stage as this is my weak link.

Don’t feel bad PM, you will have gone from a base of zero to 26 miles in 10 months. That’s an incredible achievement. So what if you have to walk a bit of it or it takes over 5 hours, it’s still an amazing thing to do and you should be very proud of yourself.

You know, I was just thinking about this as I was driving into work this morning, I work 27 miles from where I live, that takes me 30 minutes to drive (without traffic) or an hour in rush hour :eek:. I would always consider myself to have quite a considerable commute and yet everyone here is going to run that distance in a couple of months! I think with all the talk of pace, LSR’s, plans and gels, it can be easy to lose sight of what we are all doing and how far we have all come!

So I think we should all stop being so hard on ourselves for the odd bad run or a slower pace and pat ourselves on the back for getting this far and sticking with it!
    Runchick wrote: »
    Just back from a 4.3 mile run - the first in weeks completely niggle free:D:D I even picked the pace up a bit to test it and felt absolutely nothing! My hip injury for the last 3.5 weeks is slowly turning into a fading memory and I am delighted to be getting back on track. Anyway had to share, there'll be no wiping the smile off my face today tongue.gif

Great news Runchick.... no looking back now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Progress ??? report.

Went out for my LSR yesterday evening / last night (it was night before finishing :P) Ended up with 18k done which is my furthest ever distance. I also took my first 2 sets of gels which I think I did benefit from energy wise along the way.

There is though a set of negatives with this. I struggled and struggled badly from the halfway point on and literally limped home half running / half walking. Total time of 2 hours 15 minutes for 18k would be heading towards a well over 5 hours time in October.

Pace wise I went out at a slow pace - covered the first 7k in 47 minutes so circa 6:45 per km which to be fair couldn't have been much slower without walking. By the time I got home it had fallen back to over 8:00 per km. The issue simply was that my legs couldn't take it. My breathing was fine, mentally I was fine, I felt like I had plenty of energy (the gels did help on this) but my legs couldn't do it if that makes any sense. Muscles and joints ached and the legs were wobbling / stopping before I even realised it. Even now the following morning I am in a lot of pain walking.

I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that I have jumped into this a bit too soon. I really should have given it a year running and losing weight before signing up for DCM. I knew it would be tough but I didn't realise how slow my progress would be and October seems very close at this point !

All that said I'm not a quitter and will be pushing on. I do think though that my goal will have to be just to finish the thing this year and begin worrying about times / running it all the way etc next year when I will be starting from a solid base rather than starting as a complete beginner to running.

In the mean time would it be worth trying to do some strength training on the legs at this stage as this is my weak link.
    It does get better. My first 20k run was similar, the 2 subsequent runs were better. I have my first 24k run this week which is going to be tough, especially if the heat keeps on the way it is. Keep at it though, it will all be worth it come October. Or at least that's what I keep trying to convince myself of.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭devilsad

Hi,

I've had a look at the following training schedule:

http://athlone3quarter.com/schedule.php

A couple of quick questions:

1. I ran the marathon last year for the 1st time in 4hrs 50. I've been running pretty much all the time but not much more than 7-8k three times a week. I realise I need to up that now if I want to run my 2nd in October. Should I just start into this schedule now or should I ease myself into it?

2. The schedule calls for a 'Core Workout' in the middle of each week, but doesn't explain what that is. What is a Core Workout? What should I do for it and for how long?

Thanks.

<mod>

moved this in here, give me a shout if you would prefer the 'improvers' thread

</mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

from my training log... After my 10 mile run on Sunday i had some soreness in my left knee which was concerning me slightly. Know and again over the past 5 weeks i would get slight pain in this knee but i was always able to run though it.

Monday 13th August

I started off my 5 mile run in pretty serious pain in my left knee which i was very tempted to abandon ship after the first mile. But after watching a couple of videos yesterday in relation to the correct techniques for running the pain was steadily going away, so from this i would say that the pain in my knee was from a bad running technique and was putting excess pressure on my knees.

5.04 miles - 47.30 minutes @ 9.24 mins/mile.

I did also feel as if i was going much faster than normal but i think i was taking shorter steps than usual because looking at my time i wasn't any quicker than i usually am. I iced my knees when i went home last night and they feel pretty ok today which i'm happy about.

Has anyone else come across the soreness around the side of the knee?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

devilsad wrote: »
    A couple of quick questions:

1. I ran the marathon last year for the 1st time in 4hrs 50. I've been running pretty much all the time but not much more than 7-8k three times a week. I realise I need to up that now if I want to run my 2nd in October. Should I just start into this schedule now or should I ease myself into it?

2. The schedule calls for a 'Core Workout' in the middle of each week, but doesn't explain what that is. What is a Core Workout? What should I do for it and for how long?

My €0.02 worth: There are 10-11 weeks til DCM race day, why are you trying to use an 18 week plan? That plan looks v like the P&D one; if you join in late on in the plan, you won't have built up the endurance to do the faster stuff later on and could easily get injured. There are 12 week plans out there - they would be more appropriate for your circumstances. The other point is to be realistic in your ambitions. There are lots of people here who are about 6 weeks into their DCM training, whereas you're only thinking to start now.

A core workout is basically exercises for your torso. It's no good having super strong legs if they're attached to a really weak core. Exercises that are good for you would include planks, side planks, bridges etc. Loads of info on how to do these on youtube. Yoga or pilates would also help. In terms of time - it's better to do a small amount of core work regularly (rather than loads on an ad-hoc basis). Just like running really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭devilsad

macinalli wrote: »
    My €0.02 worth: There are 10-11 weeks til DCM race day, why are you trying to use an 18 week plan? That plan looks v like the P&D one; if you join in late on in the plan, you won't have built up the endurance to do the faster stuff later on and could easily get injured. There are 12 week plans out there - they would be more appropriate for your circumstances. The other point is to be realistic in your ambitions. There are lots of people here who are about 6 weeks into their DCM training, whereas you're only thinking to start now.

A core workout is basically exercises for your torso. It's no good having super strong legs if they're attached to a really weak core. Exercises that are good for you would include planks, side planks, bridges etc. Loads of info on how to do these on youtube. Yoga or pilates would also help. In terms of time - it's better to do a small amount of core work regularly (rather than loads on an ad-hoc basis). Just like running really!

Brill. Thanks. Any idea where I'd find a 12 week plan? I'm also not really starting now, I have been running pretty much constantly, just no real long runs at the weekends. But if anyone knows of a good 12 week plan, I'd greatly appreciate it.

One other quick question. I did the Great Ireland Run (10k) in the Phoenix Park in approx. 47 mins. I had a look at a conversion table which said based on my 10k time I should be doing the marathon in some ridiculously short time. I did the 10k in 50 mins last year and then the marathon in 4 hrs 50. I ran all the way, stopping a few times to use the facilities. I also got advice at the time to run slowly if I wanted to be sure to make it, which is what I did. 10k in 47 was tough and I was wrecked at the end. However I can comfortably run and run and run at 6 mins per kilometre. Is it realistic with a 12 week programme to try for in or around 4 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

moggie4000 wrote: »

possibly itb? something to ask a physio though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Hi All,

I'm training for my first marathon and last Sat did a 10.5 LSR. It went well but afterwards, I was totally jaded and really fit for nothing for the rest of the day. I did have a PowerBar gel during the run and when I came home, I had a snack within 30 mins and then a decent meal within 90 mins.

My Brother-in-law was saying that I should try taking a protein supplement but I know absolutely nothing about them. Is anyone using this or have any advice about how I can prevent the same situation from re-occuring this Sat?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

18km this morning, and a run that started out feeling easy, had my calf muscles screaming for a rest at the end :D

I needed to stop and stretch them out just after 10km, and then was so worried for the rest of the run that one or both of them would give up the ghost. I managed to finish the distance though.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/210383650

Pretty consistent pace of in and around 5:30 per km. It seems a little fast if you ask me, but it was well within my HR range for this type of run, even if the HR did drift to the upper end over the last few kms.

Rest day tomorrow, but I think I'll go for a swim as I always find this relieves tired leg muscles for me.

I have a LT Run on Thursday which I am definitely not looking forward to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

tang1 wrote: »
    I find cycling good way of helping strenghten the legs PM, works muscles in legs that running doesn't. But what your are doing is best way of the legs getting stronger, running, they will improve believe me. Chin up, we all have runs that kind of deflate us, what we are taking on is a big task at the end of the day. What is it they say 'if marathons were easy we would all be doing them'.

+1 on the cycling. I've added it the past few weeks because of injury but can notice more strength in my legs already. As has been said on here before it compliments running well. Good on you PM for your honesty and effort, I think your determination will see you through DCM :)

• Advertisement

from my training log... After my 10 mile run on Sunday i had some soreness in my left knee which was concerning me slightly. Know and again over the past 5 weeks i would get slight pain in this knee but i was always able to run though it.

Monday 13th August

I started off my 5 mile run in pretty serious pain in my left knee which i was very tempted to abandon ship after the first mile. But after watching a couple of videos yesterday in relation to the correct techniques for running the pain was steadily going away, so from this i would say that the pain in my knee was from a bad running technique and was putting excess pressure on my knees.

5.04 miles - 47.30 minutes @ 9.24 mins/mile.

I did also feel as if i was going much faster than normal but i think i was taking shorter steps than usual because looking at my time i wasn't any quicker than i usually am. I iced my knees when i went home last night and they feel pretty ok today which i'm happy about.

Def see a physio. I had similar problems with my hip and, following advice from folk on here, I stopped running on it, saw a professional, followed their advice to the letter, and hey presto a few weeks later problem solved. I think if I had of continued running on it I would be out of DCM now.

I have also found that shorter strides speed things up, this is basically all I did differently in my last few races and it really made a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭moggie4000

+1 on the cycling. I've added it the past few weeks because of injury but can notice more strength in my legs already. As has been said on here before it compliments running well. Good on you PM for your honesty and effort, I think your determination will see you through DCM :)

Can i ask how far(miles) are you doing cycling?

U

Can i ask how far(miles) are you doing cycling?

At the minute I'm replacing one of the short midweek runs with a 12 mile bike ride then will do about 30 miles on the weekend. When I'm completely recovered I'll be back to 4 days running but will keep up the 25-30 mile bike ride as cross training on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Progress ??? report.

I think we're all into the territory of each LSR being the furthest we've ever run and it's hard. My legs were like jelly for the last 3 of my 13 on Sunday, I was trying to use it to train me mentally too, like yes my legs aren't cooperating but I'm not stopping, it was about that stage that I decided to have an ice bath when I got home, figured it would kill me or cure me. My legs felt much better afterwards not sore like they usually are. Also I've been foam rolling every day and that helps keep the muscles ticking over. It's very hilly around where I live and all my runs would include some plus some days I just do hill repeats. It really helps with endurance maybe try some hills in your midweek run if you're not already. Keep the head up and keep going!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

First bad session of the plan, and like others on here am beginning to question myself.

Did my 12m LSR in 2:15:35 which gives average min/mi at 11:18. I should be aiming, and have done, all other LSRs at 10:30 (and some of ye might even remember me coming on here a few weeks ago asking if I should speed them up :o )

Now, considering this was my longest ever training run (although have done two half marathons) I was ridiculously unprepared for it. A few too many drinks at the weekend made me postpone till today, as I travelled back to the family home and packed in a rush I also didn't have my runners or anti-blister socks. I also neglected to bring any water or gels/food etc........And it was quite warm in Clontarf today. Pretty shambolic, I know! I forced myself to go ahead with the run even without the right equipment because I've stuck so diligently to teh plan so far, and knowing myself one missed run can easy turn into a second and a third etc.....So, it was a judgment call and the jury is out as to whether it was worth it or not....

The run itself was....interesting. People say the wall is at 20m...well, I must have hit at least a fence at around 10m! Up till then I was relatively comfortable 10:30 - 10:50 min/mi. Just went pear shaped from there and was doing 12/13 minutes with a LOT of walking breaks.

So, now I'm at home nursing my wounds - which includes blisters, something which I haven't gotten in about two years due to my trusty 1000 miles socks!
    Still, think (just!) I was right to do it but am not looking forward to my 13.1 this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just thought I'd post this for all of us who are struggling a bit at the moment,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056248197&page=179

Reading the experiences of last years novice thread after the marathon is a fantastic incentive! Nearly all of them really enjoyed it and in fact most of them loved it! I actually feel a little less scared after reading this!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

ncmc wrote: »
    Just thought I'd post this for all of us who are struggling a bit at the moment,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056248197&page=179

Reading the experiences of last years novice thread after the marathon is a fantastic incentive! Nearly all of them really enjoyed it and in fact most of them loved it! I actually feel a little less scared after reading this!

Very motivational. I'm sure a few of us, me included, are wondering why we are doing this. Hopefully i'll be able to write similar messages on 30th October. Loved this video posted by Ray. I can definitely relate the them.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75230481&postcount=2695

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Anyone in search of motivation, just think of those of us who are injured.....

I'd give anything to be chalking up miles but am out of action. Kills me to keep reading this forum knowing that I might not get back in time to be ready for DCM.

So get out running and be glad of every km/mile!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mikmon

Hey everyone! Delighted to find this thread. Thanks to the moderators.

This will be my first marathon but i have been competing in endurance events for the last five years. I.e. triathlons, adventure races, mountain biking and road biking.

My PB's are as follows:
    Half marathon: 1hr 37mins
    10km: 42mins
    8km: 33mins
    5km: 20mins

I have been away for July trekking at altitude in Peru but no running.
    At the moment i'm running five days a week, clocking up about 35miles. My longest run so far has been 10 miles. My speed isn't great but i feel stronger every day.

I would like to go under 4 hours for DCM but i'm wondering have i left starting serious training too late to have an ambition of 3.45?
    I haven't started any pace runs yet. Next week i can post up time for 10km pace run. Maybe that'll give a better indication of where i'm at.

Thanks, Mik.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

First bad session of the plan, and like others on here am beginning to question myself.

Did my 12m LSR in 2:15:35 which gives average min/mi at 11:18. I should be aiming, and have done, all other LSRs at 10:30 (and some of ye might even remember me coming on here a few weeks ago asking if I should speed them up :o )

Now, considering this was my longest ever training run (although have done two half marathons) I was ridiculously unprepared for it. A few too many drinks at the weekend made me postpone till today, as I travelled back to the family home and packed in a rush I also didn't have my runners or anti-blister socks. I also neglected to bring any water or gels/food etc........And it was quite warm in Clontarf today. Pretty shambolic, I know! I forced myself to go ahead with the run even without the right equipment because I've stuck so diligently to teh plan so far, and knowing myself one missed run can easy turn into a second and a third etc.....So, it was a judgment call and the jury is out as to whether it was worth it or not....

The run itself was....interesting. People say the wall is at 20m...well, I must have hit at least a fence at around 10m! Up till then I was relatively comfortable 10:30 - 10:50 min/mi. Just went pear shaped from there and was doing 12/13 minutes with a LOT of walking breaks.

So, now I'm at home nursing my wounds - which includes blisters, something which I haven't gotten in about two years due to my trusty 1000 miles socks!
    Still, think (just!) I was right to do it but am not looking forward to my 13.1 this weekend!

I hear your pain! Just back from LSR for this week, did 13 miles in 2hrs 8 mins and felt shattered through it.
    Combination of training last night (nearly 7 miles, including about 3 miles of sprints), working at 6.30 this morning and the heat I'm putting it down to!!
    I had 2 High 5 Isogels, drank 3 lites of water and even grabbed some jelly tots from shop but still felt wrecked, especially from mile 9 on!!

Longest run ever done though, so have to be happy with that, even if I spend the evening icing every part of me :D Ice bath FTW!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

PM I hope you won't drop out of the race just yet! There are 11 weeks to go, and the course stays open all day. So even if you walk part of it, you will still finish!

I'm an incredibly slow runner myself, but I keep telling myself I AM DOING THIS! no matter how crap my training run is. For the last few weeks, at the start of almost every run, I've got weird soreness in my right leg muscles. It often almost makes me want to turn around & come home (usually within the first 2 miles) but once I'm warmed up, it fades &, on a great day, I feel like an Olympian ;)

I AM DOING THIS! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Does anyone know if it will be possible to go running in the Phoenix park this weekend as they have motor racing on. They where putting up barriers tonight when I was cycling through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Now, considering this was my longest ever training run (although have done two half marathons) I was ridiculously unprepared for it. A few too many drinks at the weekend made me postpone till today, as I travelled back to the family home and packed in a rush I also didn't have my runners or anti-blister socks.

I think the biggest thing that you mention there is the beer. It's fine/essential every now and again but you do need to be aware of it's effects. The hangover might be gone the next day, but a proper session can stay in your system for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Mikmon wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Delighted to find this thread. Thanks to the moderators.

This will be my first marathon but i have been competing in endurance events for the last five years. I.e. triathlons, adventure races, mountain biking and road biking.

My PB's are as follows:
    Half marathon: 1hr 37mins
    10km: 42mins
    8km: 33mins
    5km: 20mins

I have been away for July trekking at altitude in Peru but no running.
    At the moment i'm running five days a week, clocking up about 35miles. My longest run so far has been 10 miles. My speed isn't great but i feel stronger every day.

I would like to go under 4 hours for DCM but i'm wondering have i left starting serious training too late to have an ambition of 3.45?
    I haven't started any pace runs yet. Next week i can post up time for 10km pace run. Maybe that'll give a better indication of where i'm at.

Thanks, Mik.

Sounds like you're in good nick Mick, sub 4 shouldn't be a problem for you but the 10 mile in the park would be a better marker for your endurance/fitness than just trying to run flat out for 10k. FYI I ran 3:43 in Cork last year with a 10k PB of 43:40 ;) you just need to build your endurance, the speed is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

macinalli wrote: »
    I think the biggest thing that you mention there is the beer. It's fine/essential every now and again but you do need to be aware of it's effects. The hangover might be gone the next day, but a proper session can stay in your system for a couple of days.

Yeah I'm wondering now how I'm going to deal with running and Electric Picnic. I might have to miss a run or two but will try and do my lsr a day or two beforehand hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Progress ??? report.

Can echo these sentiments! Been having a tough time with the runs over the past couple of weeks, legs feel really stiff, effort feels massive, and heart racing. Skipped the lst two weeks LSRs, for pretty average reasons. Luckily I started a couple of weeks ahead, so have been able to back off a little.
    I also am starting to feel the long runs reeallly looooonnng. The last 15 miler went pretty well, but it is quite a long time to be faffing about but myself., and the thoughts of even longer is making me dread the runs a little.
    Anyway, just have to remind myself how much I want to do this, and how much better i feel about myself when I'm running!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

rasher_m wrote: »
    Yeah I'm wondering now how I'm going to deal with running and Electric Picnic. I might have to miss a run or two but will try and do my lsr a day or two beforehand hopefully.
    Drinking and running dont mix. We had yanks staying for few days last week, followed by a party and a 25th wedding anniversary celebration. I feel i have gone back two weeks in prep. No more of the devils buttermilk til this marathon madness is over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Can echo these sentiments! Been having a tough time with the runs over the past couple of weeks, legs feel really stiff, effort feels massive, and heart racing. Skipped the lst two weeks LSRs, for pretty average reasons. Luckily I started a couple of weeks ahead, so have been able to back off a little.
    I also am starting to feel the long runs reeallly looooonnng. The last 15 miler went pretty well, but it is quite a long time to be faffing about but myself., and the thoughts of even longer is making me dread the runs a little.
    Anyway, just have to remind myself how much I want to do this, and how much better i feel about myself when I'm running!

The first time I ran 15 miles I though I was going to die, the next week I ran 16 and the last mile was a killer, once you start looking down on these distances instead of up, they'll become a lot more manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

rasher_m wrote: »

Same as me, i'm going to run Mon, Tues that week with LSR on Wed, just going to miss 1 run

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I see a lot of folks are struggling with the distance of the LSRs. Mentally as well as physically.

Just a reminder that these runs are supposed to be run very slowly, so consider slowing the pace down at the start of the run and they might not seem or be so daunting. For those folks that already think they run slow, slow it down even more :D
    When you get the distance covered once you can assess how you felt and maybe speed up the next time you do it but for now covering the distance is the key not the time it takes you to do so.

Advertisement