Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

sassyj wrote: »
    Same as me, i'm going to run Mon, Tues that week with LSR on Wed, just going to miss 1 run

Yeah sounds like a plan...I'm thinking the LSR the day beforehand would have me sitting down all day at the festival so maybe the wed and then thurs to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Sorry for butting in, since I'm not even doing the marathon, but for those of you finding the LSRs tough, is it possible for you to do them with friends / in a group? I'm trying to build up my LSRs, for half marathons, and I've been going out on the weekend long runs with my club for the last month or so. The build up from 10.5, 12.5 to 14.5 has been painless because I have people to chat to / pace myself with, and I'm even looking forward to 16 miles this weekend. I find it much harder to do distances over 12-13 miles on my own in training. Just a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Sorry for butting in, since I'm not even doing the marathon, but for those of you finding the LSRs tough, is it possible for you to do them with friends / in a group? I'm trying to build up my LSRs, for half marathons, and I've been going out on the weekend long runs with my club for the last month or so. The build up from 10.5, 12.5 to 14.5 has been painless because I have people to chat to / pace myself with, and I'm even looking forward to 16 miles this weekend. I find it much harder to do distances over 12-13 miles on my own in training. Just a thought!

Yeah I've been saying that to myself for weeks now. I joined two guys for my run tonight and I'm hoping to join them for some of the lsr's soon as well. I took a dog with me last week to have something else to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Interesting that some of us having problems with boredom on the LSRs. Just to give another view, there's nothing I enjoy more than a couple of hours alone with my thoughts, not to mention the physical effort and the mental calculations in adjusting my running loop to the distance (I hate running in the same places twice on the same run!). Plenty going on. I'm sure there are more of us who enjoy the peace.

But just to echo some of the thoughts earlier, yes, the distances are getting tougher. I've been pretty religious about running the right distances on the right days and getting the right amount of rest. Probably not as religious about nutrition, drinking, hydration. Am still injury free and feeling good but definitely harder on the legs this week following a Sunday 23k. So I hear and understand the difficulties that some people are having.

Having said that, giving the knees a bit of a break this week and decided to do the shorter midweek runs on a treadmill. Couldn't believe how easy today's 6.5k treadmill jaunt felt, barely conscious of the breathing and the effort. And it's not that long since I was building up stamina on the treadmill from 2 to 3k, then 5k, 6k, 8k, before taking it outside. The ease of the session today is a stark illustration of the progress made, regardless of the tired knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

murphd77 wrote: »
    Interesting that some of us having problems with boredom on the LSRs. Just to give another view, there's nothing I enjoy more than a couple of hours alone with my thoughts, not to mention the physical effort and the mental calculations in adjusting my running loop to the distance (I hate running in the same places twice on the same run!). Plenty going on. I'm sure there are more of us who enjoy the peace.

But just to echo some of the thoughts earlier, yes, the distances are getting tougher. I've been pretty religious about running the right distances on the right days and getting the right amount of rest. Probably not as religious about nutrition, drinking, hydration. Am still injury free and feeling good but definitely harder on the legs this week following a Sunday 23k. So I hear and understand the difficulties that some people are having.

Having said that, giving the knees a bit of a break this week and decided to do the shorter midweek runs on a treadmill. Couldn't believe how easy today's 6.5k treadmill jaunt felt, barely conscious of the breathing and the effort. And it's not that long since I was building up stamina on the treadmill from 2 to 3k, then 5k, 6k, 8k, before taking it outside. The ease of the session today is a stark illustration of the progress made, regardless of the tired knees.

I’m the same Murphy, love nothing better than getting out on the road for a couple of hours. Music on, just me and my own thoughts, I love it. I think I would struggle to run with a group at this stage, I like been able to set my own pace, be that slow or fast and not have to worry about anyone else.

This weather is a pain! Supposed to be doing 7 miles tonight, not looking forward to going out in this rain and wind, it's times like this I wish I had access to a treadmill mad.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice. Much appreciated. Don't worry am not planning on dropping out at all. In fact I have only one thing to say this morning and that is up yours storm I'm off for my run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i am really excited about this evenings 15 miler. lovely weather, horrible wind, and my first time with gels. wooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

ncmc wrote: »
    I’m the same Murphy, love nothing better than getting out on the road for a couple of hours. Music on, just me and my own thoughts, I love it. I think I would struggle to run with a group at this stage, I like been able to set my own pace, be that slow or fast and not have to worry about anyone else.

This weather is a pain! Supposed to be doing 7 miles tonight, not looking forward to going out in this rain and wind, it's times like this I wish I had access to a treadmill mad.gif

I love the lsr, really feels good to be alone with my thoughts for a couple of hours.
    I'm finding the midweek runs tough at the moment, I feel like they are another thing on a long list of stuff to do! but i will persevere.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Did my 6 mile run last night in anticipation of **** weather today. Training plan says Half marathon this week so is everyone doing 13.1 miles LSR?

Did another search through the thread and see I missed the training for the week Younganne put up, 14 miles it is so :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

OMG just in from 3 miles in LASHING rain, horrific, the only reason I kept going was cos I figured it could well be raining in October so it was practice. Did 5 miles with the club last night, 3 of which was hill training. I'm counting that as the midweek 6 for this week. Nothing in my legs today am wrecked! Am off to Achill the weekend with the family to cycle the greenway so will be doing 14 on Achill definitely more scenic than my usual. Hope the feckin weather improves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

murphd77 wrote: »

Im the very same now. Up until last month i ALWAYS ran with headphones ..having read advice here not to use them I stopped and havent gone back...first 2-3 runs were tough, it was weird not having the music to keep me occupied. It was only then that I realised I had been getting nothing out of my runs pschologically. I would just go out, listen to music and run, and not think about anything, in reality I could have done this sitting in my house and mentally it would have been the same thing. Now that I have stopped the music all together I find that when I start running my mind turns into overdrive. It gives me the chance to think about everything thats going on through the day etc. Once you are willing to let your own mind be enough to keep you company then the runs get easier, I look forward to challenging myself now on these runs, knowing I only have myself for company for the next hour or two. It clears your head and no matter how hard or how long the run was I have never ever felt mentally worse off after the run then I did before it.

In terms of running with others to keep you occupied on the long runs, I tried this with a friend recently. At the start I thought it was a little slower than what I was used to..but within a few km I felt as though I was running fine. As it turned out I wasnt, I finished the run 10 minutes slower than I usually would. I think my body may have got used to running at the slower pace so by km 5 I didnt notice that it was slower than usual. Also, I find it distracting to talk during my runs, but my friend loves to talk. I found this pretty difficult and as a result I actually find it easier to run on my own...Maybe it would be different if I found somebody running the same pace as me and who didnt talk as much, just to have somebody there as company in person rather than constantly talking and slowing me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

sassyj wrote: »
    Did my 6 mile run last night in anticipation of **** weather today. Training plan says Half marathon this week so is everyone doing 13.1 miles LSR?

I am trying to psyche myself up for 7 miles this eve. The weather is not looking promising..gaelforce winds and flooding!! :eek: I am swapping next weeks plan with this week as I am doing the longford half on the 26th. My LSR will be 10 this weekend. 3 -7 -4 -10

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Have to say I find it great to have company on a long run. Makes the first 5 - 10 miles pass much quicker, depending on the length of the run. After that the conversation is limited!! Also adds to the determination to finish.

Unfortunately don't know many training for DCM so will be doing most of the LSR's on my own. When I am alone I tend to think about the run too much, pace, distance, silly things like I at 2 miles I am one fifth done, only 4 to go, etc. Need to work on thinking about other things and not the run :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    OMG just in from 3 miles in LASHING rain, horrific, the only reason I kept going was cos I figured it could well be raining in October so it was practice. Did 5 miles with the club last night, 3 of which was hill training. I'm counting that as the midweek 6 for this week. Nothing in my legs today am wrecked! Am off to Achill the weekend with the family to cycle the greenway so will be doing 14 on Achill definitely more scenic than my usual. Hope the feckin weather improves!

Fair play Deedee. I am in work looking out the window. Horrible weather but thinking feck the wind and rain, I'm still going on my lunchtime run........ then I realised that I forgot my runners this morning (ran home last night) so nothing I can do about it till tonight :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

just a thought...how many of us are in work right now more interested in boards.ie threads than their actual work lol..I know this defo helps me through the days

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

slim4life wrote: »
    just a thought...how many of us are in work right now more interested in boards.ie threads than their actual work lol..I know this defo helps me through the days

I eat/sleep/breathe marathon training at the moment, I was even dreaming about running the last few nights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Woke this morning to a severe pain in my left foot, that bad cannot put any real weight on it. Tried walking downstairs this morning at 5.30am for work and fell, needless to say woke whole house. Didn't do any damage doing that luckily. Have been icing it all morning, dont know where it has come out of. No 7 miles for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

I eat/sleep/breathe marathon training at the moment, I was even dreaming about running the last few nights!

Oh thank god it's not just me ;) My poor husband must be demented listening to it all :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

tang1 wrote: »
    Woke this morning to a severe pain in my left foot, that bad cannot put any real weight on it. Tried walking downstairs this morning at 5.30am for work and fell, needless to say woke whole house. Didn't do any damage doing that luckily. Have been icing it all morning, dont know where it has come out of. No 7 miles for me today.

Gee tang1 hoping for a fast recovery for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Runchick wrote: »
    Oh thank god it's not just me ;) My poor husband must be demented listening to it all :eek:

Mine too, he's great and he's been really supportive, but god I'd say he'd be happy never to hear the words 'marathon' or 'running' again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:pac:
    Wait until taper
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Nightmare :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Bugger sorry to hear that Tang. Hope it doesn't keep you out for long :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Me too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Donal112 wrote: »

Unfortunately don't know many training for DCM so will be doing most of the LSR's on my own. When I am alone I tend to think about the run too much, pace, distance, silly things like I at 2 miles I am one fifth done, only 4 to go, etc. Need to work on thinking about other things and not the run :rolleyes:

Someone else suggested before listening to podcasts or ebooks as opposed to music as it would engage the mind that bit more and give it less time to think about running. Running is so much easier when your mind is occupied with something else that is for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Just wanted to add my bad LSR experience as well so we all know we are not alone. I had a 14 mile LSR last Saturday. It was around the Phoenix park following the half marathon course for the most part. All was going well until I got a blister at about 17KM and this coupled with the uphill sections of military road and upper glen road wiped me out. I just had no energy left and the last few kilometers were a combination of running and walking.

I was disspointed with this as I didn't expect it to be so much harder than the 12 miles I had done a couple of weeks earlier.

Anyway I am putting it down to a combination of old running shoes (new shoes have been bought) and running out of energy, so now I will be including running gells during my LSR. 15 mile coming up this Saturday so I hope this one goes better than the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mikmon

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Sounds like you're in good nick Mick, sub 4 shouldn't be a problem for you but the 10 mile in the park would be a better marker for your endurance/fitness than just trying to run flat out for 10k. FYI I ran 3:43 in Cork last year with a 10k PB of 43:40 ;) you just need to build your endurance, the speed is there.

Thanks for the reply Mr Slow. The ten mile in the park is closed for entry but i'm sure i can find another one to do in the meantime. You're right about building endurance - that's the priority now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Mikmon wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Mr Slow. The ten mile in the park is closed for entry but i'm sure i can find another one to do in the meantime. You're right about building endurance - that's the priority now.

Theres a good tough 10 mile race in Slane this Sunday that will test your endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

You'd think nothing bad could possibly happen while you're asleep wouldn't you? I'm terrified i'll wake up with a broken leg one of these days.;)

Hopefully its only a couple of days and you're back at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

every once in a while i wake up with a massive cramp. it scares the hell out of my gf

Advertisement