Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

6.25 midweek run this evening.
    Was actually looking forward to not running in the hot sun for a change, but low and behold, out it came just as I set off. Typical!

Kept it nice and slow, but not as slow as my LSR. Made a big difference. Hardly out of breath at all at the end.

Knees were at me though, which is really annoying, as I thought I had my ITBs sorted a long time ago through stretching and foam rolling. I'm putting it down to running in succession, which I'm not used to doing. Also, I've nearly 600miles on my current shoes. New ones are on the way, so hopefully that will help.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just back from 12k in the rain (not so much) and wind (much). Happy to be done with it, have a few creaks go my right leg but hopefully my forthcoming epsom salts bath will help me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

folan wrote: »
    every once in a while i wake up with a massive cramp. it scares the hell out of my gf

I heard before eating bananas helps with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Rested last night for my first physio appointment tonight. Not really sure what to expect! Hopefully get this hip pain sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Rested last night for my first physio appointment tonight. Not really sure what to expect! Hopefully get this hip pain sorted

I'd say you can be fairly sure it will involve pain! No pain no gain!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i am really excited about this evenings 15 miler. lovely weather, horrible wind, and my first time with gels. wooo!

well, all in all this went really well. No terrible rain or wind really helped, only a couple of showers. Looks like i got off really well.

As for the gels, they worked a treat. First time ive used them, so i was wary of getting it wrong, or them not agreeing with me, but they were fine. ill keep up with them for a while to be sure though.

took my first gel at the 5 mile mark, second at 9 miles and last at 13, followed by plenty of water and some lucozade. seemed ok. i felt much better after this run than i did last week on the 14 mile with no gels.

the downside of last nights run is that, whether it was the gels or just the adrenaline, i couldnt sleep for a while last night, so i lost a couple of hours there. I have a kind of routine for after late runs, its drink water, shower, eat, then have a beer or 2. that usually knocks me right out. didnt quite work last night, though there was some unrelated good news that had me a little excited too that woulnt have helped.

Ive heard some marathons hand out some gels coming up to 20 miles? is this the case for the DCM? if so, what type do they hand out?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

LarMan wrote: »
    Just wanted to add my bad LSR experience.....

May as well do so myself also...

Not a hint of a problem till now in all the training

15 miles LSR on Monday morning, about mile 11/12 noticed my right hip was a little sore as I turned. Then a few mins later the very front of my left hip. Then the front of my left knee and then to finish off the outside of my left foot (just below the ankle bone) which ended up well bruised.

All niggly rather than being too painful to make me stop but it put the fear of god in me of getting injured.

I wasn't tired at all for it (i.e. aerobically if you get me) but my legs obviously were.

Gave it 2 days rest and I've ran 4m (recovery pace) and 7m (easy) since and no problems. Seems to be just when the milage gets up that the pains start. Getting gait analysis done today in A King and hopefully a correct running shoe fitting will help.

I'm a week ahead so I may skip the lsr this weekend and then repeat the week. That was my first real exposure to the possibility of not getting to the start line, my heart goes out to anyone thats laid up, it must be an absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ive heard some marathons hand out some gels coming up to 20 miles? is this the case for the DCM? if so, what type do they hand out?

High 5 gels at the 15 and 18 mile water stations
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/map-2012.pdf

RayCun wrote: »
    High 5 gels at the 15 and 18 mile water stations
    http://dublinmarathon.ie/map-2012.pdf
    Thanks. I will see if i can get my hands on them, otherwise, ill be sticking to what i know and ignoring them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have a confession to make, I haven’t really being stretching after my runs :o, maybe a half hearted effort after my LSR, but not on my short runs. Very bold I know, and I’m lucky it hasn’t slowed me down up to now. So I have been making the effort to stretch after all my runs in the last few days, and I definitely think it’s helping my sore calves. Did 7 miles last night into a strong wind at times, but felt really good. I normally do my Wednesday run at pace, but was not planning to last night with the ½ marathon coming up on Sunday. Started off at about 9.30 min miles, but by the time I finished, I had averaged 8.58 min miles! And that included popping into the house to drop off the dog and get a quick gulp of water at the 4 mile mark. Felt really good after it I have to say, normally I’m pretty tired after my pace runs. Think the stretches must be helping, so think I will invest in a roller also.

4 mile very easy recovery tonight and then rest up til the ½ on Sunday. Feeling pretty good I have to say! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Thanks. I will see if i can get my hands on them, otherwise, ill be sticking to what i know and ignoring them

The High 5 are great Folan, they're the only ones I've tried so far as I can't stomach anything with a gloopy consistency, makes me gag! These are quite liquidy and you don't need to take water with them.

The drawback is, they are bigger than the stronger gels, so storage can be a problem. I am having to buy a bigger water belt to hold them (see my report on last weeks LSR and a leakage problem - split gel + I phone = Yuck!)

ncmc wrote: »
    I have a confession to make, I haven’t really being stretching after my runs :o, maybe a half hearted effort after my LSR, but not on my short runs.

ill also confess to this, though i have been getting much better.

However, what im really bad at is the stretching before runs too. i have a quick warm up, then i decide to keep going, instead of stretching out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Where's a good place in Dublin to buy these gels? Haven't used yet, but might try one at the weekend LSR (but from what I've heard it's not good to overdo them on training runs, i.e. not before 18k or so...)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

murphd77 wrote: »
    Where's a good place in Dublin to buy these gels? Haven't used yet, but might try one at the weekend LSR (but from what I've heard it's not good to overdo them on training runs, i.e. not before 18k or so...)

Irishfit.eu do high5 gels, they are near the Carrickmines shopping center near Ballyogan

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

murphd77 wrote: »

Most bike shops also stock gels and are usually a lot easier to get to. High 5 gels will be handed out on the race day but there are lots of different brands out there. Sadly it's usually a nasty process of trial and error until you find one that's easy on the stomach.

Definitely don't overdo them on the training runs - you shouldn't need a gel for anything under 2hrs, unless you're seeing how they taste when running. Anyways, chances are that once you've tasted them, you'll won't want to take as few of them as possible!

macinalli wrote: »
    Definitely don't overdo them on the training runs - you shouldn't need a gel for anything under 2hrs, unless you're seeing how they taste when running. Anyways, chances are that once you've tasted them, you'll won't want to take as few of them as possible!

What about during a half marathon Macinalli? I have been taking one gel on my longer LSR's, ie 14/15 miles, usually wouldn't bother during anything shorter than that unless I'm feeling a bit tired heading out. I have a 1/2 on Sunday, should I try and take one gel during that?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

A lot of people would take 1 when racing a half. The reason is that in a race setting, your only focus is on getting through the 13 miles as fast as possible. If you take a gel after about mile 8 (for example), it will kick in by mile 10 and give you a boost for the closing miles. This would only really apply for racing and there's no need for more than 1 gel. If for example you were doing a 13 mile LSR, your main focus is to train your body to produce more glycogen; in that case there's no benefit from taking a gel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

hey guys, done 8km run this morning on way to work...first 4km were fine, felt pretty good...then out of nowhere it got seriously tough. The last 4km were absolute hell my legs felt heavy and tired and I found myself almost out of breath. Firstly I put this down to starting out too fast but having looked at my split times I was at normal pace through the first half. I actually maintained pace through most of the last 4 but it really did take allot out of me mentally as well as physically. I almost stopped 4 times and each time just pushed myself to keep going, I am happy now that its over that I didnt stop but I have done more than double this distance at the same pace and not had any problems, I havent been over training....slightly confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

slim4life wrote: »
    hey guys, done 8km run this morning on way to work...first 4km were fine, felt pretty good...then out of nowhere it got seriously tough. The last 4km were absolute hell my legs felt heavy and tired and I found myself almost out of breath. Firstly I put this down to starting out too fast but having looked at my split times I was at normal pace through the first half. I actually maintained pace through most of the last 4 but it really did take allot out of me mentally as well as physically. I almost stopped 4 times and each time just pushed myself to keep going, I am happy now that its over that I didnt stop but I have done more than double this distance at the same pace and not had any problems, I havent been over training....slightly confused.

Well if it's any consolation I found 3 miles hard going yesterday, also nearly stopped more than once, maybe it's just the increase in miles overall? Would be interested to hear what the more experienced runners think.

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Well if it's any consolation I found 3 miles hard going yesterday, also nearly stopped more than once, maybe it's just the increase in miles overall? Would be interested to hear what the more experienced runners think.

Possibly but body has been feeling good all week and running with ease, had a couple days off last week with a calf injury but felt fine when I went back to running. have 6.5k tomorrow then Saturday off before 17.7km LSR on Sunday, actually looking forward to that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Could just be an off day, your tired, humid weather, lack of fluid before your run, combination of all. We all have off days even the better more experienced runners. If it was happening to you during every run i'd be concerned. As you said yourself you have done double the distance and had no worries. I'd put it down as run completed and move on, next run will be easier i bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I always find the shorter runs a nightmare as I progress through the programme, your body is adapting to longer distances so by the time you're getting to 5/6 miles it's just settling in.

tang1 wrote: »
    Could just be an off day, your tired, humid weather, lack of fluid before your run, combination of all. We all have off days even the better more experienced runners. If it was happening to you during every run i'd be concerned. As you said yourself you have done double the distance and had no worries. I'd put it down as run completed and move on, next run will be easier i bet.

True, thanks for your input and thanks Mr. Slow also

On the topic of lack of fluids etc...does many people eat before there morning run? I Know I probably should but I prefer to eat as soon as I finish the run when I get to work.. I have always done this and its never really bothered me. If its a longer run I will eat maybe 90 minutes before the run but anything under 8km or so I wouldnt

macinalli wrote: »
    A lot of people would take 1 when racing a half. The reason is that in a race setting, your only focus is on getting through the 13 miles as fast as possible. If you take a gel after about mile 8 (for example), it will kick in by mile 10 and give you a boost for the closing miles. This would only really apply for racing and there's no need for more than 1 gel. If for example you were doing a 13 mile LSR, your main focus is to train your body to produce more glycogen; in that case there's no benefit from taking a gel.

That's what I thought, I was planning to take one at about mile 8 to get me through the last few miles. Thanks for that.
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    I always find the shorter runs a nightmare as I progress through the programme, your body is adapting to longer distances so by the time you're getting to 5/6 miles it's just settling in.

This is a very good point, I find the start of my runs the toughest, by mile 4/5, I am nicely warmed up and rearing to go!

On the topic of lack of fluids etc...does many people eat before there morning run? I Know I probably should but I prefer to eat as soon as I finish the run when I get to work.. I have always done this and its never really bothered me. If its a longer run I will eat maybe 90 minutes before the run but anything under 8km or so I wouldnt

This is one of the reasons I don’t like running before work in the morning. I find it very tough to run without having eaten, and I always find I am a bit dehydrated and sluggish in the morning. If I do have to run in the morning, I eat a couple of Belvita breakfast biscuits. They’re nice and light and it just means I’m not running totally on empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Its finding what works for yourself, i would be the same as you eating as soon as i'm finished running on shortish runs 3-12miles. If i'm running a race i'd eat weetabix few hours before, it suits me but from reading what others eat pre race it doesn't suit everyone. If i'm doing weekend LSR over 12miles its a banana and out the door and nothing to eat till i'm done.

tang1 wrote: »
    Its finding what works for yourself, i would be the same as you eating as soon as i'm finished running on shortish runs 3-12miles. If i'm running a race i'd eat weetabix few hours before, it suits me but from reading what others eat pre race it doesn't suit everyone. If i'm doing weekend LSR over 12miles its a banana and out the door and nothing to eat till i'm done.

Yeah even for the LSR I would be similar to you, maybe the odd time some pasta is I was doing the run a little later than first thing. Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

I got in the habit of just taking an actimel before heading out for a run. Do it even for longer runs. Doesn't seem much but the morning I forgot to take it I really struggled!

As previous posters said it's whatever suits you best. I know the experienced runners have said before that you should try and have the same routine for your LSR's as for the marathon itself when comes to eating and time for running. I can't really move my LSR times so going to have to ask can I start the marathon a couple of hours early!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Today's short run (3.5) was surprisingly tough!
    As previous posters mentioned, I think it's the accumulation of mileage. I probably ran today's a bit quick aswell.

Next run is 14m on Saturday.. City Centre to Portmarnock. eep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I never eat before a morning run. no matter how long. just doesn't agree with me. maybe a Banana as suggested - might try one myself this weekend as I do get weak after 10 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Today's short run (3.5) was surprisingly tough!
    As previous posters mentioned, I think it's the accumulation of mileage. I probably ran today's a bit quick aswell.

Next run is 14m on Saturday.. City Centre to Portmarnock. eep!

Just curious what route you are taking to Portmarnock (last bit of the journey).. I'm assuming you are going as far as Baldoyle/Sutton up the Seafront track?! Road runs out of footpath at Baldoyle church tho? is there a better way.

Advertisement