Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Just curious what route you are taking to Portmarnock (last bit of the journey).. I'm assuming you are going as far as Baldoyle/Sutton up the Seafront track?! Road runs out of footpath at Baldoyle church tho? is there a better way.

Yeah, I'm going to head out from D8 to the Eastlink, then up the coast road, left onto Baldoyle Rd/Main St/Coast Road.. the footpath goes as far as the Moyne Rd junction (I think..). Then it's not too far into Portmarnock itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

Got my race pack for Frank Duffy and Dublin HM today.

I know people are worried about able to run for the longer runs.

Less than a year ago I couldn't run a few hundred yards. Did my 1st run of about 2.3km and couldn't walk for days. Now I can run 22.5kms. I am sure I am not the only one here like that.

I use this as motivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Yeah, I'm going to head out from D8 to the Eastlink, then up the coast road, left onto Baldoyle Rd/Main St/Coast Road.. the footpath goes as far as the Moyne Rd junction (I think..). Then it's not too far into Portmarnock itself?

Its not to far alright, but road is narrow and twisty and traffic doesn't exactly slow down on that section of road. But no alternative really if your running to Portmarnock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

The road goes ever on and on
    Down from the door where it began
    Now far ahead the road has gone
    And I must follow if I can

Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet
    And whither then, I cannot say
    ....make like you're Frodo Baggins and keep putting one foot in front of the other :D

Physio session booked for 3.30pm Saturday to get this left foot of mine looked at. Still in pain walking today, bit better than yesterday though. Only speculating but from checking symptoms on net its looking like plantar fasciitis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I seriously think my immune system is shot! I thought I was back in form after last weeks stomach bug only to find myself in bed with swollen glands and flu like symptoms!!

I ran 7 miles last night and felt fine other than a mile sore throat but woke up this morning feeling a lot worse for wear. I dragged my worn body into work as I didn't have the energy to call in sick as I was off for a day last week with stomach bug.

I had planned to run 4 this eve but that won't happen now.
    ThinkIng if getting up early in morn to fit run in b4 work. Need rest day though before LSR on sat. Wow, I feel I am juggling my life around running rather than other way around!! My OH said he is going to hide my runners until I am back to full health!

Just wondering if anyone else is fighting to stay healthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

darabbit wrote: »
    I seriously think my immune system is shot! I thought I was back in form after last weeks stomach bug only to find myself in bed with swollen glands and flu like symptoms!!

I ran 7 miles last night and felt fine other than a mile sore throat but woke up this morning feeling a lot worse for wear. I dragged my worn body into work as I didn't have the energy to call in sick as I was off for a day last week with stomach bug.

ThinkIng if getting up early in morn to fit run in b4 work. Need rest day though before LSR on sat. Wow, I feel I am juggling my life around running rather than other way around!! My OH said he is going to hide my runners until I am back to full health!

It can happen - marathon training takes it out of you and can leave you run down. I'm finding that I'm constantly tired lately, have started taking a tonic to make sure that it doesn't go any further. Your OH is right - make sure your diet is good (esp iron), get lots of rest and don't run if you're not well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

i'm 4 days away and there are 13 pages to get through:eek:

There is a bug going around out there and darrabit sounds just like what you have. Sore throat, swollen glands, flu like symptons and general fatigue...all mind yourselves, plenty of fluid(preferably non alocholic kind);) and rest if not feeling well, running while sick will only make you sicker, not fitter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Younganne wrote: »
    plenty of fluid(preferably non alocholic kind)

I'm not as think as you drunk I am lossifer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

just give me another half hr and i'll get there!!!

its my typing skills that keeps letting me down nothing else!!!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Out into the wind and lashing rain tonight, reminded me of Winter, apart from the fact that I wasn't freezin' my proverbials off.

Did my tempo run in the town, as it seems to be getting darker much earlier these days. Half eight is about all I can get to now running around by my place.

Anyway, 5km warmup was followed by a 6km tempo run at half-marathon pace. Felt quite good actually, better than I thought I would. Only problem was that I forgot to put bodyglide on before the run, and with the lashing rain, my t-shirt was stuck to me resulting in my nipples almost getting grated off my chest :rolleyes: Stung like a b*tch in the shower :mad:

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/211368695

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Don't run tomorrow, leave it till the lsr at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Had this 2 weeks ago, lasted 5 days, sore throat was the worst, missed 2 runs (including LSR) but no way I could run. Plenty of rest and you will be back to normal next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hey there, signed up for the Frank Duffy 10 mile next week... wondering if any advice on how to work around this (HHN2). The plan actually calls for half marathon on the day with 11k pace run on the weds (plus the usual short runs). Now normally you wouldn't expect a pace run in the middle of a race week (right?) with no taper so I presume HH doesn't expect me to win that half marathon I won't be running - but how should I handle the 16k/10 mile? Slow? Easy? Pace? Race?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

niteowl1 wrote: »

Had this 2 weeks ago, lasted 5 days, sore throat was the worst, missed 2 runs (including LSR) but no way I could run. Plenty of rest and you will be back to normal next week.

Thanks niteowl. I am zapped of energy but it good to know that it won't last any longer than a week. I am a very impatient patient:(

I suppose at least I am getting it now and not the week before the marathon.

I am going to load up on the vitamins from now on. Plus I think I need to get more sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

murphd77 wrote: »
    Hey there, signed up for the Frank Duffy 10 mile next week... wondering if any advice on how to work around this (HHN2). The plan actually calls for half marathon on the day with 11k pace run on the weds (plus the usual short runs). Now normally you wouldn't expect a pace run in the middle of a race week (right?) with no taper so I presume HH doesn't expect me to win that half marathon I won't be running - but how should I handle the 16k/10 mile? Slow? Easy? Pace? Race?

I am thinking of moving all my runs forward a day to give me that extra day rest.

With a warm up and cool down along with race wont be far off HM.

I will be running at race pace and hope to get around in 1.25

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    I'd say you can be fairly sure it will involve pain! No pain no gain!

You weren't lying about the pain :eek:
    I have some weaknesses in my glutes and hips, got exercises to try to build up strength in these areas. the massage part though..agony! feel like i've been massaged by a hatchet today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

murphd77 wrote: »

Definitely race the race. With a warmup and cool down you should get close to 13 miles anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

Hey guys, so as I said previously my 8km run yesterday almost killed me...well done 6.5km this morning and I was absolutely fine! ended up running it at a faster pace than yesterday as well, got to km 4 and felt like I was flying I was finding it so much easier than yesterday. Guess it just shows on days like yesterday when your body doesnt want to run it can really put the brakes on you! Have a rest day tomorrow (although other half wants to take a trip to the gym) then 17.7km Sunday morning.

Out of interest, is anybody else looking to lose some weight during the next few weeks? Im looking to drop at least another 20lb before race day (since starting running I am over 60lb down), I think this will make the run allot easier as I have noticed it previously as the weight goes down the strain on the legs is a little less.

slim4life wrote: »
    Hey guys, so as I said previously my 8km run yesterday almost killed me...well done 6.5km this morning and I was absolutely fine! ended up running it at a faster pace than yesterday as well.

Told you, you were just a little off yesterday. Getting through toughish runs like yesterday will stand to you in the long run.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Told you, you were just a little off yesterday. Getting through toughish runs like yesterday will stand to you in the long run.

Hopefully, still new ground with this whole running lark lol! once something goes wrong my mind goes into overdrive trying to figure it out and more often than not I end up over-diagnosing myself ha!

Out of interest, is anybody else looking to lose some weight during the next few weeks? Im looking to drop at least another 20lb before race day (since starting running I am over 60lb down), I think this will make the run allot easier as I have noticed it previously as the weight goes down the strain on the legs is a little less.
    I'm not overweight but could easily lose half a stone. Unfortunately the last few times I've weighed myself I've gained weight. Doh :mad: Must start my food diary again!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

3rd run since over 2wks lay off with ankle injury.

Ankle isnt back to 100% but I can run without any pain or anything as long I keep my right foot landing properly.
    (When I forget it can cause a quick shot of a reminder)

Left knee/quad is in bits though. Think it's from the last couple of weeks, trying to protect my other ankle - so was landing heavy on the knee all the time..

Anyway, not the best 5km I've ever done (possibly one of the worst) but I'm back now, RICE'ing just in case - and more importantly back logging something in the spreadsheet again.

Knocked back a few weeks but I'm almost back baby!!!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hey Slim4life congrats on the weight loss so far, great stuff. Yep I'm in the same boat. Lost 80/90lb about 3 years ago through bootcamp/running. Maintained a good level for about 2 years and then I got lazy and put nearly 40lb of it it back on! One of my main reasons for starting marathon training again was to get back into the habit of regular exercise, get back in shape and lose the weight again. Since starting this training plan I have dropped over a stone already and like yourself ideally would love to be down another 15 / 20lbs by race day!

I find midweek it's really easy to be good/eat healthy but all bets are off come the weekend, especially with carbs required for long run and the serious hunger afterwards. Also I think a few treats/beer or two are well deserved at the weekend after all the training! But losing weight at a pound or two a week is the best way to keep it off too, so am happy with the slow and steady progress.

Also as has been noted here before, with the extra running your body will require more food to fuel it so often people find that while marathon training dramatically improves their fitness it does not translate to dramatic weight loss (although it is easier to lose when you definitely have it to lose!).

Donal112 wrote: »
    Hey Slim4life congrats on the weight loss so far, great stuff. Yep I'm in the same boat. Lost 80/90lb about 3 years ago through bootcamp/running. Maintained a good level for about 2 years and then I got lazy and put nearly 40lb of it it back on! One of my main reasons for starting marathon training again was to get back into the habit of regular exercise, get back in shape and lose the weight again. Since starting this training plan I have dropped over a stone already and like yourself ideally would love to be down another 15 / 20lbs by race day!

I find midweek it's really easy to be good/eat healthy but all bets are off come the weekend, especially with carbs required for long run and the serious hunger afterwards. Also I think a few treats/beer or two are well deserved at the weekend after all the training! But losing weight at a pound or two a week is the best way to keep it off too, so am happy with the slow and steady progress.

QUOTE]

hey Donal, well done yourself thats great weight loss! I was the same at one stage, went on holidays,got lazy and put about 20lb back on...which is why I started looking at the marathon as well. My main problem is that I work at a desk so I dont actually move around allot during the day! I run to work most days but still I find that if I do eat anything in excess I will gain weight quite fast because of sitting down so much. On weekends Im not too bad, I find having an other half makes it a little tougher when saying no to going for a few drinks and a curry ha! but from now until the marathon all alcohol is off the list, im going out tonight but it will be diet cokes all night. Once I avoid take aways I know I will drop the 20lb by marathon day. Keep up the good work though its a great turn around from your old life!

I'm not overweight but could easily lose half a stone. Unfortunately the last few times I've weighed myself I've gained weight. Doh :mad: Must start my food diary again!

Muscle weighs more than fat remember, you've bound to have built extra muscle up since training started.

tang1 wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat remember, you've bound to have built extra muscle up since training started.
    Aw was wondering when those famous words would appear!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Yeah I thought it weighs the same, it's just leaner so you look better

sassyj wrote: »
    Yeah I thought it weighs the same, it's just leaner so you look better

Tang1 is right, muscle weighs 1.5 times more than fat. But in terms of building a significant amount of muscle (greater than around 1-2lb) you would need to be doing weight training as well as your exercise. Even weight lifters will only gain a maximum of around 10lb of muscle per year, naturally. Steroids are a whole different story. But keep in mind these guys are lifting weights 5 days a week for maybe 1 or 2 hours each day and then loading up on protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

But 1 pound of fat = 1 pound of muscle. How does it weigh differently?

Advertisement