Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

sassyj wrote: »
    But 1 pound of fat = 1 pound of muscle. How does it weigh differently?

You're right Sassyj, 1lb of fat = 1lb of muscle, but muscle is more dense. Taken from the Weight Watchers website:

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories. But back to your question. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, then you may feel like the weight training is not helping you move down on the scale. In fact, the number may even go up, but you will look thinner. This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat. In other words, even if the scale doesn't change much, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit.
    On the other hand, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you will also experience an increase in lean body mass and loss of body fat. But the results on the scale will probably be more dramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

ncmc wrote: »
    You're right Sassyj, 1lb of fat = 1lb of muscle, but muscle is more dense. Taken from the Weight Watchers website:

Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories. But back to your question. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, then you may feel like the weight training is not helping you move down on the scale. In fact, the number may even go up, but you will look thinner. This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat. In other words, even if the scale doesn't change much, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit.
    On the other hand, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you will also experience an increase in lean body mass and loss of body fat. But the results on the scale will probably be more dramatic.

NCMC is right its the space that it takes up that weighs more. if you have a square inch of fat that for arguements sake weighs 1lb well a square inch of muscle will weight 1.5lb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Right. Dilemma time.

My Nimbus 14s arrived today. I'm trying to decide whether or not to run my LSR in them tomorrow or not. It's possible my old 12s are contributing to some niggles but at the same time I'm wary of going long distance in out of the box shoes. Some say runners don't need to be broken in so...

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Right. Dilemma time.

My Nimbus 14s arrived today. I'm trying to decide whether or not to run my LSR in them tomorrow or not. It's possible my old 12s are contributing to some niggles but at the same time I'm wary of going long distance in out of the box shoes. Some say runners don't need to be broken in so...

Any thoughts?

I'd take them on few short runs before doing 14 miles in them, but my heels are susceptable to skinning from new runners and thats my reason for doing short runs in them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Right. Dilemma time.

Any thoughts?
    Don't do it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Don't do it :eek:

Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Agreed!

+1

Your feet would never forgive you. Do a few shorter runs first to break them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hey guys, does anyone do any of their long runs very early in the morning, say 6am? More particularly, has anyone done a 6am run when they aren't used to it, and was it any tougher than normal?

I have been doing them about 8am-ish on Saturday mornings over the last few weeks - like to get them done early in the weekend and also not to impact too much on the family (2 little ones) by being gone for a whole morning/avo. But I am on baby duty :D from 8.30am tomorrow (my wife is out for the day) so considering gulp to get up at 5.30am to do my 15m LSR run at 6am tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i cant do an LSR without some food digested, so thats way too early for me.

Donal112 wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone do any of their long runs very early in the morning, say 6am? More particularly, has anyone done a 6am run when they aren't used to it, and was it any tougher than normal?
    All the time. Its the best time of the day. So fresh and quiet. If its any help I'll be up at 5a.m 2moro to do my 15 miler :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

All the time. Its the best time of the day. So fresh and quiet. If its any help I'll be up at 5a.m 2moro to do my 15 miler :D

Thanks Careermove, you nearly make it sound nice to be up at 5am!! At the very least it will be good to know I won't be the only crazy out there that early :D

Quick question - do you eat much before LSR that early? I was thinking of a decent meal tonight and then just a banana or something in the morning but dunno if that will do. I would normally eat a big bowl of branflakes about an hour beforehand, but that would involve getting up even earlier!!

Thanks Careermove, you nearly make it sound nice to be up at 5am!! At the very least it will be good to know I won't be the only crazy out there that early :D

Quick question - do you eat much before LSR that early? I was thinking of a decent meal tonight and then just a banana or something in the morning but dunno if that will do. I would normally eat a big bowl of branflakes about an hour beforehand, but that would involve getting up even earlier!!
    My favourite way is if I can just get out of bed and head out the door. Then I wouldn't have anything. Just take plenty of water and if its a long run a gel. I generally have a few jobs to do first though, so if I'm going to be an hour or more i'll have tea and toast when I get up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

If I have to do a LSR early, I actually get up 2 hours before I am due to run, have a bowl of porridge and a small cup of coffee and then head back to bed for an hour! But I am one of those lucky people who can get back to sleep fairly easily. I am always amazed at how people can run on an empty stomach, I would really struggle with a 15 mile run if I hadn't had my porridge. But everyone is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

lmguillou wrote: »
    Hi All,

I need some clarification on Hal Higdon training program, I'm not sure to understand what pace should I use where it says "run". it says that "pace" is the pace you want to run at during the race, so say I want to run the marathon in 4hours in means that during the week training a 10K "pace" should take me one hour. what about a 10k "run"? slower that "pace"? if so I m surprise there are no run scheduled with faster pace on shorter distance.
    Any response would be well appreciated[/Unfortunately no one came back to me regarding this :( At the moment I m following the novice 2 schedule, short distances at a fast pace, wednesday marathon pace and Saturday long run very slowly, is that appropriate? as I said in an earlier post 3 years ago I followed a different program in which this week I would have to run 28k, I chose this year to follow Hal higdon novice 2 program as my training as been interrupted with an injury for almost a month.] .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi All,

I need some clarification on Hal Higdon training program, I'm not sure to understand what pace should I use where it says "run". it says that "pace" is the pace you want to run at during the race, so say I want to run the marathon in 4hours in means that during the week training a 10K "pace" should take me one hour. what about a 10k "run"? slower that "pace"? if so I m surprise there are no run scheduled with faster pace on shorter distance.
    Any response would be well appreciated[/Unfortunately no one came back to me regarding this :( At the moment I m following the novice 2 schedule, short distances at a fast pace, wednesday marathon pace and Saturday long run very slowly, is that appropriate? as I said in an earlier post 3 years ago I followed a different program in which this week I would have to run 28k, I chose this year to follow Hal higdon novice 2 program as my training as been interrupted with an injury for almost a month.] .

Sorry, I didn't see your post. If wanting to do a 'Pace' run you would want to run 9 min/mile for a 4hr Marathon. That means a 10k run should take you 55-56 minutes (not 1 hour).

All other runs should be slower than that. A 10k 'run' should take an hour or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

darabbit wrote: »
    +1

Your feet would never forgive you. Do a few shorter runs first to break them in.

Aye. Makes sense. I guess it'll be my old ones tomorrow and I'll start with the new ones during the week.

Hi All,

Your pace run should be ran at the pace you wish to run your marathon, your LSR should be 60-90 secs slower than race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

menoscemo wrote: »

Sorry, I didn't see your post. If wanting to do a 'Pace' run you would want to run 9 min/mile for a 4hr Marathon. That means a 10k run should take you 55-56 minutes (not 1 hour).

All other runs should be slower than that. A 10k 'run' should take an hour or more.

Thanks for the clarification!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Unfortunately I am nursing an injury since my last LSR. Left hand side of my left foot from past the ankle down to the sole of the foot is quite painful even to walk on. It was one of a long list of aches and pains I had after the LSR but is the only one to have hung around. Had to sit out yesterdays run, and todays isn't a runner either (pun intended :)) Will just have to be patient with it and give it time to heel.

Unfortunately I am nursing an injury since my last LSR. Left hand side of my left foot from past the ankle down to the sole of the foot is quite painful even to walk on. It was one of a long list of aches and pains I had after the LSR but is the only one to have hung around. Had to sit out yesterdays run, and todays isn't a runner either (pun intended :)) Will just have to be patient with it and give it time to heel.
    :mad: Sorry to hear that PM. Are you going to have it seen by a physio?

• Advertisement

Feel your pain PM, in the same boat myself. Go see a physio as career_move said it'll help clear the issue up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Plenty of ICE and get it checked out fully, just to be on the safe side...especially if its still sore a few days on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I just came across this thread and i would definitely recommend that you all take a read of it and follow it so that you can see all the advice and peoples experiences. It will be invaluable as the weeks go by!!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Back from 14 mile lsr. 2 gels, all went fine until about mile 13. Then felt like vomitting, that passed thankfully. Shuffled the last mile, only made it as running partner kept saying don't walk you're nearly there, oh how I wanted to stop and walk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Guilty confession to make.... skipped my 6k recovery run tonight:(

Absolutely wrecked, legs still v tired and just could not get the energy to go out. Did last weeks LSR on Mon so only had Tues to recover which probably didnt help. V torn - know this marathon training going to only get tougher and that need to be committed but at same time dont wanna make myself sick or get injured.. Hoping made right choice and weekends 15M LSR goes well and get back on track next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

FiiFii wrote: »
    Guilty confession to make.... skipped my 6k recovery run tonight:(

Absolutely wrecked, legs still v tired and just could not get the energy to go out. Did last weeks LSR on Mon so only had Tues to recover which probably didnt help. V torn - know this marathon training going to only get tougher and that need to be committed but at same time dont wanna make myself sick or get injured.. Hoping made right choice and weekends 15M LSR goes well and get back on track next week.

It is scary how accurately this mirrors my last week! Only did 12 miler on Tuesday so I was a bit off schedule.

First time I consciously skipped a session tonight as I just felt so drained. Think it was the right decision and looking forward (nervously!) to 14m LSR tomorrow! Longest run ever :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Had a crap run tonight - deferred last night's 4m because I'm doing the Clonmel half on Sunday instead of a 15m tomorrow. And because it was chucking it down. Anyway was out tonight in the drizzle and my HR was way up - prob 20 bpm higher than normal. Stopped running and walked for about 50m in the middle to settle it down, still went up again afterwards. Tried slowing my pace but with limited effect. Hopefully it's just a sign of tiredness and I'll be ok on Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Tang1 - Did you go to physio? Been doing exercises for plantar fasciitis so interested to hear how you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

Up and eaten. Will be off on my 24km run in around 30mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

So after my horrendous session last saturday I bounced back yesterday and did 18miles and half mile in between walking (that was up the knocklyon rd on the 16-17 if anyone knows that hill its tough at that stage.. No running today but an 8 mile tomoro, Im doing HHinte2 thinking of dropping down to HHIntermediate1 cause im doing ten hour days in work coupled with all running is destroying me hahaha, any thoughts on is there much difference between the two

Advertisement