Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Did 3 1/2 miles this morning along the shore in sunny Lake Maggiorie in Italy. Beautiful place to run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Tang1 - Did you go to physio? Been doing exercises for plantar fasciitis so interested to hear how you are?

Half 3 today and i'll get the prognosis on it niteowl1.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

All the time. Its the best time of the day. So fresh and quiet. If its any help I'll be up at 5a.m 2moro to do my 15 miler :D

Well I made it :D Up at 5.30am, small bowl of branflakes/coffee, quick stretch and on the road @ 5.55am!! My earliest ever run by at least two hours. Gotta say you were right, once I was up and out it was lovely to be out at that time, so nice and quiet. The weather was perfect for running too, still, cool and clear, no real heat in the sun yet, would be perfect conditions for marathon I reckon!

15 mile run, went great. Forgot my water bottle (didn't bring keys so decided it probably wouldn't be a good idea to ring the bell!) but it was nice and cool so wasn't an issue. Took gel at mile 10 and stopped at garage to buy a lucozade at mile 11 which I carried the rest of the way, having a bit every mile. Between the two of them I felt fairly refreshed and finished strong, felt better than 14 miler last week, so delighted.

Probably won't do too many runs that early but nice to know its a good option and I can do it if needed. Although the best bet was knowing I was in mile 15 when I would usually be in mile 1 if had gone at my normal time!!

Hope everyones LSR goes well this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Not quite 5.30 am, but made it out the door at 8.30 none the less :p

Just a recovery run for me this morning, my long runs are on Sundays at the moment. The long runs will move to a Monday in a few weeks as my work schedule changes and also to bring my LR's into line with the Marathon itself.

Anyway, a handy 9km this morning to loosen my legs before heading up North to take in the Giant's Causeway with the family. I've never been up there before so looking forward to it :D

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/211827288

Hopefully I'll be back tomorrow at a reasonable hour so as I'm not running too late into the night :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Glad you got out Donal :) Its tough when the clock goes off but well worth it. It was fabulous this morning. So love that time of the day. Everywhere is so quiet and its so fresh out. Brought loads of water and a gel but ended up only having a few sips. Happy enough with my 15 miles. Was stiff enough when I finished though and then a bloody horse stood on my big toe and ripped all the skin off under the nail :( Lucky for the horse I can still run :D

• Advertisement

then a bloody horse stood on my big toe and ripped all the skin off under the nail

Nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

back after my 24km run. Nice bit of heat in that sun now. Now I have to go move a kitchen for my warm down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Trampas wrote: »
    back after my 24km run. Nice bit of heat in that sun now. Now I have to go move a kitchen for my warm down :(

Doing my 24k this evening, not looking forward to it. No kitchens to move though thankfully. How did you get on?

Duzzie wrote: »
    Doing my 24k this evening, not looking forward to it. No kitchens to move though thankfully. How did you get on?

I arrived to late :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Just back from my LSR. Ended up running in and around the Pheonix Park instead of my planned route to Portmarnock.

Lots of runners about, and lots with gels.. I'm guessing It's marathon training season for lots of people.

My goal was 14 today, but ended up running 15. That damn motor racing was in the park and half the place was cordoned off, with no signage anywhere, so I ended up getting lost! 14 would have left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

That was it though - 15 was todays limit, I don't think I could have gone much further, my legs and feet were starting to ache. Other than that though, I was okay. Carb loading and super-hydrating the last couple of days seems to have helped. I also carried water with me, and took a couple of jelly babies at about mile 10.

Man I'm hungry now! Food time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I'm just reading the last few posts from those of you who done the early run and wondering how you ran 15 miles on hardly any fluid. When I done the long run last week I brought two bottles and was badly dehydrated afterwards, thought I could have done with another pint at least.

I don't have my long run until tomorrow evening and some guy who runs a lot faster than me wants to join me. I was trying to explain to him how slowly I run these LSR's and the science behind it but he thinks I'm just being modest. He'll soon find out when hes almost walking beside me. The only good thing is that hes only up as far as 10 miles and I'm looking at 16 so we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

rasher_m wrote: »
    I'm just reading the last few posts from those of you who done the early run and wondering how you ran 15 miles on hardly any fluid. When I done the long run last week I brought two bottles and was badly dehydrated afterwards, thought I could have done with another pint at least.

I can't stress this enough, don't drink alcohol while running! :cool:

rasher_m wrote: »

I don't have my long run until tomorrow evening and some guy who runs a lot faster than me wants to join me. I was trying to explain to him how slowly I run these LSR's and the science behind it but he thinks I'm just being modest. He'll soon find out when hes almost walking beside me. The only good thing is that hes only up as far as 10 miles and I'm looking at 16 so we'll see what happens.

You need to drink plenty of water over the days before hand

Plantar faciitis it is, at least two weeks of no running. Could be worse, at least i haven't been told DCM is a no go. niteowl1 he told me to manipulate the area with a tennis ball in a socked foot 4-5 times a day and do heel drops, leg on a step and lower the foot down below level of step till you feel stretch on plantar, hold for 5 secs and bring foot back up. Made sure to say do it with both feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

tang1 wrote: »
    Plantar faciitis it is, at least two weeks of no running. Could be worse, at least i haven't been told DCM is a no go. niteowl1 he told me to manipulate the area with a tennis ball in a socked foot 4-5 times a day and do heel drops, leg on a step and lower the foot down below level of step till you feel stretch on plantar, hold for 5 secs and bring foot back up. Made sure to say do it with both feet.

Ah ****e. Sorry to hear. Just take the expert advice and keep the positive attitude. Are you able to cross train?

As for me I did my 14m LSR this afternoon - longest run ever! Quite pleased after my disastrous 12miler on Tuesday. I prepared better this time: drank lots of water yesterday, as well as taking on extra carbs. Also, brought out a small back with me with a couple of water bottles in it. This helped no end and i have to say the backpack felt good, not a bother with it and didn't notice it after a few miles - does anyone do this instead using a water belt?....Squashed my rainjacket in there too but thankfully it wasn't needed..

Again, started tiring around 10 mile and prob could have done with a gel/banana/jellies so that's this weeks main lesson. Did 11 min/mi pace which I'm pretty happy with. Breathing was perfect the whole way through and defo think I could have passed the "talk test".

So, confidence boosted. Really looking forward to 10 miler in the park next weekend. Quietly confident of a PB :cool:

Janey though, there has been a serious step up the last couple of weeks...Time to start paying more attention to rest, nutrition, hydration methinks...

Good luck to everyone with their LSR!

Ah ****e. Sorry to hear. Just take the expert advice and keep the positive attitude. Are you able to cross train?

As for me I did my 14m LSR this afternoon - longest run ever! Quite pleased after my disastrous 12miler on Tuesday. I prepared better this time: drank lots of water yesterday, as well as taking on extra carbs. Also, brought out a small back with me with a couple of water bottles in it. This helped no end and i have to say the backpack felt good, not a bother with it and didn't notice it after a few miles - does anyone do this instead using a water belt?....Squashed my rainjacket in there too but thankfully it wasn't needed..

Again, started tiring around 10 mile and prob could have done with a gel/banana/jellies so that's this weeks main lesson. Did 11 min/mi pace which I'm pretty happy with. Breathing was perfect the whole way through and defo think I could have passed the "talk test".

So, confidence boosted. Really looking forward to 10 miler in the park next weekend. Quietly confident of a PB :cool:

Janey though, there has been a serious step up the last couple of weeks...Time to start paying more attention to rest, nutrition, hydration methinks...

Good luck to everyone with their LSR!

Great running especially in that heat today, i can cross train alright so all is not lost. You tried any gels yet? May explain why your tiring at 10 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Ah hopefully you'll be able to retain your fitness then...maybe even strengthen your core and other muscles.

Nah, no gels yet. Planned to try this them this weekend but funds were low! Payday next week and gonna buy an assortment...Gonna get gait analysis and new runners too....Can't wait!

Ah hopefully you'll be able to retain your fitness then...maybe even strengthen your core and other muscles.

Nah, no gels yet. Planned to try this them this weekend but funds were low! Payday next week and gonna buy an assortment...Gonna get gait analysis and new runners too....Can't wait!

High5 gels are good and are ones given out on marathon route. I'm sure you know Base2Race or Amphib King for runners by now, they are excellant. Nice to treat yourself with new runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

That's a pi$$er, but at least it doesn't sound like a very bad case (PF can be VERY bad). That's no reason however for taking this lightly as PF is one of the most persistent injuries that a runner can pick up. For now it's important to be careful and do all of the stretches that the physio gave you. Don't try and do too much too soon as if you aggravate the problem you can be straight back to square one. The good news though is that there's still 10 weeks to race day so lots of time yet. Good luck!

macinalli wrote: »
    That's a pi$$er, but at least it doesn't sound like a very bad case (PF can be VERY bad). That's no reason however for taking this lightly as PF is one of the most persistent injuries that a runner can pick up. For now it's important to be careful and do all of the stretches that the physio gave you. Don't try and do too much too soon as if you aggravate the problem you can be straight back to square one. The good news though is that there's still 10 weeks to race day so lots of time yet. Good luck!

Thanks macinalli, yeah physio said i came at right time as its only at me last few days so he should be able to sort me out. Will be doing stretchs to the letter. Have invested to much training into this to mess it up now. Get plenty of cross training in to keep me sane!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Whoever said we run to get healthy! We're dropping like flies.;)

Bit of a kick in the teeth but like you say its not terminal.

I have a sore ITB in my left leg now (right leg knocked me out of last marathon). It has to be the most frustrating thing a person could suffer from. I feel fine walking around and i'm a bundle of energy but since midweek a couple of miles in and the all too familiar pain starts around the outside of the knee. Don't think its half as bad as last time but i'm not taking chances. Hoping that rolling the **** out of it (more torture) will expedite my return. Really don't want to miss the Phoenix Park next week.

corny wrote: »

I have a sore ITB in my left leg now (right leg knocked me out of last marathon). It has to be the most frustrating thing a person could suffer from. I feel fine walking around and i'm a bundle of energy but since midweek a couple of miles in and the all too familiar pain starts around the outside of the knee. Don't think its half as bad as last time but i'm not taking chances. Hoping that rolling the **** out of it (more torture) will expedite my return. Really don't want to miss the Phoenix Park next week.

Ah b!lls, sorry to hear that corny. You were flying it to looking at the mileage spreadsheet each week. Hopefully rolling the **** out it will get you to start line of Frank Duffy healthy next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good that you know anyway Tang and can work accordingly. Hopefully the exercises will make a difference and two weeks is nothing. You won't lose any fitness or anything :)

Good that you know anyway Tang and can work accordingly. Hopefully the exercises will make a difference and two weeks is nothing. You won't lose any fitness or anything :)

Thanks career_move, loads of cross training in next two weeks to keep the fitness up like rest of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

ITB pain is so frustrating!! I used to get it all the time before I discovered rolling and stretching. Thought I had it beaten.. then over the bank holiday, for no reason, my left ITB started hurting. I wasn't even running, and hadn't been for a few days.
    It came and went a few times during my LSR this morning, but if I can't shake it over the next few weeks, I'll have to re-think my DCM decision :(

I've bought new runners, and new shoes for work too, just in case!

I must order my runners for the marathon.

Can get them online for €70 as will be buying the same model as my current ones. Don't want to change models or makes at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Running the 26.2 miles will be easy - the hard part is getting there! Marathon training is hard work, and for most people doing their first marathon it means doing more running than they've ever done before. Lots of us have weaknesses in our legs and the training finds all of these. The good news though is that it's all making you stronger, you just need to keep at it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I would go and have it stripped by your physio, it'll be much more effective than rolling and I would have it done again at the start of taper so that you can stand on the start line as assured as possible it's not ticking away like a timebomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Bad news tang sorry to hear that, I still have pf and 4 weeks of no training so far. Unfortunately after my last visit to physio I have been ruled out of dcm... Pain in the arse, make sure to do everything the physio says. It's the worst injury a runner can have.

• Advertisement

wowzer wrote: »
    Bad news tang sorry to hear that, I still have pf and 4 weeks of no training so far. Unfortunately after my last visit to physio I have been ruled out of dcm... Pain in the arse, make sure to do everything the physio says. It's the worst injury a runner can have.

Ah sh!te sorry to hear that wowser, thats a BIG shame. I was looking forward to meeting you at the 3.30 pacers in October. I'll be doing exactly as the physio says.

Advertisement