Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

A very tentative 4km covered with mixed news. The part of my foot that had me laid up behaved itself other than a slight twinge at one point for about 10 metres max. However there was lots of sharp pain (not too major) elsewhere which leaves me a few questions for the more experienced amongst us: (If this doesn't contravene the no medical advice rules)

Although it is very dangerous to self diagnose on the internet :D it does appear that I am suffering from shin splints at the front of both legs. I have already been to Amphibian King and am running in runners they fitted after gait analysis. Is it possible for gait to change / could it have been assessed wrongly (highly unlikely to be fair!) at the time or can shin splints occur even with correctly fitted runners? In this case what can I do to avoid / strengthen the area as needed ?

Again with the self diagnosis it appears I have a dose of achilles tendonitis but this has been present since before taking up running. In general the backs of my heels (not at ground level) can be very sore first thing in the morning to the point I can't walk down a stairs properly but this pain goes once I'm up and moving. Occasionally I feel it when starting to run too. My understanding is that this is caused by among other things tight calf muscles which I'm fairly certain I have - they are always the first things to start aching when running.

Now I've never stretched before or after a run :o - I'm inclined to think this is a bad idea (especially given the tightness and issues above) but am unsure what I should be doing. Is there a typical stretch plan / schedule someone could point me towards that would help me out. I'm dreading falling apart in the run up to the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

A very tentative 4km covered with mixed news. The part of my foot that had me laid up behaved itself other than a slight twinge at one point for about 10 metres max. However there was lots of sharp pain (not too major) elsewhere which leaves me a few questions for the more experienced amongst us: (If this doesn't contravene the no medical advice rules)

Although it is very dangerous to self diagnose on the internet :D it does appear that I am suffering from shin splints at the front of both legs. I have already been to Amphibian King and am running in runners they fitted after gait analysis. Is it possible for gait to change / could it have been assessed wrongly (highly unlikely to be fair!) at the time or can shin splints occur even with correctly fitted runners? In this case what can I do to avoid / strengthen the area as needed ?

Again with the self diagnosis it appears I have a dose of achilles tendonitis but this has been present since before taking up running. In general the backs of my heels (not at ground level) can be very sore first thing in the morning to the point I can't walk down a stairs properly but this pain goes once I'm up and moving. Occasionally I feel it when starting to run too. My understanding is that this is caused by among other things tight calf muscles which I'm fairly certain I have - they are always the first things to start aching when running.

Now I've never stretched before or after a run :o - I'm inclined to think this is a bad idea (especially given the tightness and issues above) but am unsure what I should be doing. Is there a typical stretch plan / schedule someone could point me towards that would help me out. I'm dreading falling apart in the run up to the marathon.

Since you got your new runners are you landing further forward on your foot?

Do you stretch your calves regularly?

Weekly update time. :)

Wowzer posted here that he was out due to injury. Really sorry to hear that mate. frown.gif YoungAnne our fearless leader has been taken out of the sheet at her request as she is logging her runs in the improvers thread (where we all will be next year with a bit of luck!) We've lost a few more this week who seem to have left without saying goodbye. They have been moved to the inactive members section as explained last week. This means we currently have 60 active loggers.

During the week gone we smashed through 10,000 miles collectively logged since the start of the plan (and I predict we will be over 11,000 miles by the time everyone has logged this week)

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Since you got your new runners are you landing further forward on your foot?

Do you stretch your calves regularly?

No stretching at all is the honest answer. I know that's not good !

As for the landing - I'm not running at great speeds so I don't think I have changed too much. I do feel though that I am landing more on the outside of my foot than I used to. I have to concentrate to land at an even spread across the whole foot if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I think the best thing PM would be to see a physio. He/She would be able to tell you the best stretches to be doing etc. The longer you leave the niggles the more troublesome they are going to get. I'm off to the physio myself tomorrow morn. I had a quick chat with him on thurs and now my concern is that he will think I'm a mentally unstable hypochondriac as I now have a whole new set of problems :D

• Advertisement

Weekly update time. :)

Wowzer posted here that he was out due to injury. Really sorry to hear that mate. frown.gif YoungAnne our fearless leader has been taken out of the sheet at her request as she is logging her runs in the improvers thread (where we all will be next year with a bit of luck!) We've lost a few more this week who seem to have left without saying goodbye. They have been moved to the inactive members section as explained last week. This means we currently have 60 active loggers.

During the week gone we smashed through 10,000 miles collectively logged since the start of the plan (and I predict we will be over 11,000 miles by the time everyone has logged this week)
    How rude :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

No stretching at all is the honest answer. I know that's not good !

As for the landing - I'm not running at great speeds so I don't think I have changed too much. I do feel though that I am landing more on the outside of my foot than I used to. I have to concentrate to land at an even spread across the whole foot if that makes sense.

As per above, go and see a physio, rule out the serious stuff and get a good stretching routine going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I think the best thing PM would be to see a physio. He/She would be able to tell you the best stretches to be doing etc. The longer you leave the niggles the more troublesome they are going to get. I'm off to the physio myself tomorrow morn. I had a quick chat with him on thurs and now my concern is that he will think I'm a mentally unstable hypochondriac as I now have a whole new set of problems :D

+1 on seeing a physio PM, the more experienced runners that keep an eye on us would say the same i'd say. Get your niggles sorted before they become serious ones.

How rude :p

Ha I sound offended :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Ran my 15 miles tonight. It was so hot in the UK today and when I stopped running at half 8 it was still 23 degrees! So hot out. I really hope the weather isnt as good as this in October! I completed the 15 miles in 2 hours 14 minutes so quite happy with that.

I took the gel at 12 miles. Is that too soon, too late or just right? I actually thought I felt this around the 14th mile which was great!

Does anyone find they don't drink water when running? I don't enjoy carrying it so just don't drink it. I had a drink drop at 9.5 miles then drank half a litre on my last 3 miles. Should I be drinking more water or do I even need to drink it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Did my 15 miles this morning and was bit of a disaster:( Took a gel (for the first time!) at the 10k mark and was doing grand up until then but shortly after seemed to lose all energy in my legs.. Not sure if related or just coincidental...

Well it had absolutely no benefit though as had to stop-start for rest of run after that as legs felt dead and like the muscles were seizing up, even sat on a bench at one stage for a mins rest:o (under the guise of sorting out my ipod of course...). Only started to feel better last mile but think that was knowing it was almost over.. Finished in 2.43 which is around my target pace for a LSR (am a bit of a plodder!) but completely drained and disappointed. On the plus side, suppose I'm building mental determination to finish come Oct to keep on going when all you wanna do is lie down on the ground...

Gel did NOT agree with me....was a High5 Isogel & drank a bottle of lucozade sport between start & 16k mark so was taking on liquids but still too hard on my stomach.. I'd thought these supposed to be easier one's to take? Do I just need to get used to them or does it differ per person that should try other brands? Shop also had jellies - can these be taken as equivalent to gel s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi PM,I'm not giving medical advice but just to ket you know that i have what feels like shin splints and i've being running for a few years now so headed to the physio and its the calf muscles thats are pulling on the shin bone so im getting treatment for that. You should definitely get to the physio and get a full MOT!!! Physio will also show you the best exercises to treat your problem areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

FiiFii, I would be inclined to either take gel + water or Lucozade, not both together. That's a bit too much carbs in one shot - could turn your stomach.

FiiFii wrote: »
    Did my 15 miles this morning and was bit of a disaster:( Took a gel (for the first time!) at the 10k mark and was doing grand up until then but shortly after seemed to lose all energy in my legs.. Not sure if related or just coincidental...

Well it had absolutely no benefit though as had to stop-start for rest of run after that as legs felt dead and like the muscles were seizing up, even sat on a bench at one stage for a mins rest:o (under the guise of sorting out my ipod of course...). Only started to feel better last mile but think that was knowing it was almost over.. Finished in 2.43 which is around my target pace for a LSR (am a bit of a plodder!) but completely drained and disappointed. On the plus side, suppose I'm building mental determination to finish come Oct to keep on going when all you wanna do is lie down on the ground...

Gel did NOT agree with me....was a High5 Isogel & drank a bottle of lucozade sport between start & 16k mark so was taking on liquids but still too hard on my stomach.. I'd thought these supposed to be easier one's to take? Do I just need to get used to them or does it differ per person that should try other brands? Shop also had jellies - can these be taken as equivalent to gel s?

gels & lucozade together may be a bit much...try gels with water only on next LSR and see how it goes....

To follow on from Anne's post above, here's my first marathon report - DCM 2010. Maybe some of the other contributors could post up theirs?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68699444

Thanks for that Mr Slow. It was good to see how your first marathon went. I read your own log from start to finish.

I have one regret though. This post ....
    Nope, I'm still on sub 4, to quote someone wiser than I "Oprah did it in 4:30" wink.gif

FFS is all I can say to that. FFS :D (Coming from someone who will struggle to hit 4:30 and was thinking about setting a 5 hour target)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    FiiFii, I would be inclined to either take gel + water or Lucozade, not both together. That's a bit too much carbs in one shot - could turn your stomach.

Yeah hadn't thought of that... Will try again then with the water and hopefully be a 'pleasanter' experience :) Tx for advise & Younganne aswell

Week 9 /18 Halfway through already!!:D

Stepback Week so take it handy (except those racing on Sat) the 10m will match up with the plan, just the intensity will be different for those of you doing Frank Duffy 10m in the park and i would recommend that all of you doing it to race it to see where your fitness is and then this will give a better idea of the paces your should be training at...

Mon | Tue| Wed | Thur | Fri | Sat| Sun | Total
    Rest | 3m/5k | 7m/12k | 4m/6.5k | Rest | 10m/16k | Cross | 24m/39.5k

Stay focused and Stay positive:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

FiiFii wrote: »

I have to take the Isogels with water, can't even manage a full one as it turns my stomach. Usually take 1/2 or 3/4 with water. I take jelly beans on my runs too...yummy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Younganne wrote: »
    Week 9 /18 Halfway through already!!:D

Stepback Week so take it handy (except those racing on Sat) the 10m will match up with the plan, just the intensity will be different for those of you doing Frank Duffy 10m in the park and i would recommend that all of you doing it to race it to see where your fitness is and then this will give a better idea of the paces your should be training at...

Mon | Tue| Wed | Thur | Fri | Sat| Sun | Total
    Rest | 3m/5k | 7m/12k | 4m/6.5k | Rest | 10m/16k | Cross | 24m/39.5k

Stay focused and Stay positive:D

For those of us not doing the Frank Duffy, is the 7m our pace run?

niteowl1 wrote: »
    For those of us not doing the Frank Duffy, is the 7m our pace run?

There are no pace runs on Novice 1, but you could do it marginally faster than the runs on Tue & Thur but definitely not faster than marathon pace....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Done an 18 mile LSR tonight, not as sore as I thought I would be but will wait and see how I am tomorrow. I took the water belt and stashed another bottle of water in a bush and picked it up around mile 14. I also made sure to hydrate well yesterday too so I wasn't too bad at all.
    I took a gel around mile 11 which tasted pretty nice. I don't know the name of it as I didnt look but my sister gave it to me. She had it over from last year. I will post the name and flavour when I find out from her but there was no after taste and it wasn't too gooey either.
    My knees started getting pretty stiff after about 14 miles but I felt good and I'm feeling really pleased with myself. Hopefully it keeps going this way for me fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Iangolf

I think I have to train somewhere new. All of my runs start from my house but unfortunately I live on a hill so it's great starting off with a nice downhill for the 1st few kms, but my last 3/4 kms I climb about 50-60 metres which on the longer runs is a killer. My last two LSRs my pace for the last 4k is about 30-40 seconds slower than the rest of the run and I'm not sure if it's because of the hill or because I am knackered.

Running 10 mile race next week in the park and might start doing LSRs on the marathon route to get a feel for it after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

And the award for the strangest sentence in the entire thread goes to.....
    then a bloody horse stood on my big toe and ripped all the skin off under the nail :( Lucky for the horse I can still run :D
    :D:D:D Seriously though, that sounds painful! Hope you're ok.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Plantar faciitis it is, at least two weeks of no running. Could be worse, at least i haven't been told DCM is a no go. niteowl1 he told me to manipulate the area with a tennis ball in a socked foot 4-5 times a day and do heel drops, leg on a step and lower the foot down below level of step till you feel stretch on plantar, hold for 5 secs and bring foot back up. Made sure to say do it with both feet.
    That's crap Tang, sorry to hear that, but you are a strong runner and you've loads of good quality miles done, so I'm sure the two weeks won't affect you're fitness, in fact, the rest might even do the legs some good.

So, I had my first even ½ marathon yesterday in Clonmel. Great race, nicely organised, small field of 400-500 so didn’t feel crowded. I was a bit nervous as my husband was working so I was on my own, and I couldn’t find the place so felt a bit frazzled! The weather was warm and muggy, not ideal running weather. The first two miles were tough, a steady incline, one of those ‘not really a hill’ hills that you don’t notice in a car but you sure as hell notice when running! My plan was to try and keep the 1hr45 pacers in sight, but I soon realised that wasn’t going to happen so I just plugged on at my own pace. Enjoyed miles 3-7 when we got off the main road and on to the back roads. Plenty of water stations, but not much local support unfortunately, I suppose the match being on affected that. Took gels at 6 and 10 miles. Started to find the going tough at about 9.5 miles, legs felt heavy, was feeling like I was in a cold sweat. A guy came up beside me and said, “I’ve been behind you from the beginning, you don’t want to let me beat you now!” Turns out that guy was our very own Dilbert75! Total random meeting! Dilbert was fantastic, he was like my very own pacer, he kept me going during the last 3 miles and kept my pace up, I genuinely would have slowed down if it weren’t for him, at one point it was like a war movie “you go on without me, I’m just slowing you down!” :P But I kept up (sorry if I slowed you down Dilbert) and we crossed the line together in 1hr48! Beyond delighted, was really hoping to do it in 1hr50 so to beat that by over a minute was fantastic. :D:D:D

I was surprised how wrecked I was though, I’ve only done two races before, a 10k and 9 miles relay in the Cork Marathon, and in each of those I felt fine at the end. But yesterday, I was really wrecked, would have struggled to run on much further, but I’m hoping that’s just due to the heat and the pace I was running at. I have never felt so tired at the end of any run before. Is that normal in races???

Well done everyone on some great LSR’s last week. Can’t believe we’re at the half way mark already!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

Hi all,
    need a bit of advice, I have had to move my mid week runs from the evening to the mornings due to work. I plan to get up at six, my question is as the mid week distances are increasing would it be ok to pro rata the mid -week runs so do 8k tues wed and thurs?
    Thanks
    Aoife

ncmc wrote: »
    So, I had my first even ½ marathon yesterday in Clonmel. Great race, nicely organised, small field of 400-500 so didn’t feel crowded. I was a bit nervous as my husband was working so I was on my own, and I couldn’t find the place so felt a bit frazzled! The weather was warm and muggy, not ideal running weather. The first two miles were tough, a steady incline, one of those ‘not really a hill’ hills that you don’t notice in a car but you sure as hell notice when running! My plan was to try and keep the 1hr45 pacers in sight, but I soon realised that wasn’t going to happen so I just plugged on at my own pace. Enjoyed miles 3-7 when we got off the main road and on to the back roads. Plenty of water stations, but not much local support unfortunately, I suppose the match being on affected that. Took gels at 6 and 10 miles. Started to find the going tough at about 9.5 miles, legs felt heavy, was feeling like I was in a cold sweat. A guy came up beside me and said, “I’ve been behind you from the beginning, you don’t want to let me beat you now!” Turns out that guy was our very own Dilbert75! Total random meeting! Dilbert was fantastic, he was like my very own pacer, he kept me going during the last 3 miles and kept my pace up, I genuinely would have slowed down if it weren’t for him, at one point it was like a war movie “you go on without me, I’m just slowing you down!” :P But I kept up (sorry if I slowed you down Dilbert) and we crossed the line together in 1hr48! Beyond delighted, was really hoping to do it in 1hr50 so to beat that by over a minute was fantastic. :D:D:D

I was surprised how wrecked I was though, I’ve only done two races before, a 10k and 9 miles relay in the Cork Marathon, and in each of those I felt fine at the end. But yesterday, I was really wrecked, would have struggled to run on much further, but I’m hoping that’s just due to the heat and the pace I was running at. I have never felt so tired at the end of any run before. Is that normal in races???

Well done everyone on some great LSR’s last week. Can’t believe we’re at the half way mark already!

Excellent time - congrats. And fair play to Dilbert :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

ncmc wrote: »

Great running ncmc, i'd say reason you felt so tired is because you ran the race as hard as you could and had nothing left which is the way your suppose to run races.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Ran my 14mile LSR on Sat morning. It was the same course I ran my 12mile LSR the previous week but I added a small 2 mile loop with a hill to extend to 14miles.

I was fine the day after the 12 mile but after the 14 mile I was shattered and my legs are still sore today. A callus on my right foot dug in and gave me a blood blister.

I've 989km on the runners. I think my runners are shot.

Should blisters be burst?

Should hard skin be filed down a bit?

As said by a previous poster, negative thoughts started running through my head near the end of the run. Doubting if I can pull off the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

tang1 wrote: »
    Great running ncmc, i'd say reason you felt so tired is because you ran the race as hard as you could and had nothing left which is the way your suppose to run races.

Thanks Tang, I really had nothing left in the tank at the end, part of me was thinking.... "I have to do twice this distance in 2 months" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I know I will have a lot more training done and I will be doing a slower pace in October, but it was a timely reminder of the challenge ahead!

Sounds like you had a great race Ncmc. That was a brill time :D Well done to Dilbert too. It is great when you're wrecked to have someone to encourage you to put in that little bit more effort :)

Thanks for the award btw....if you think i'm strange now wait till we start tapering :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Iangolf wrote: »
    I think I have to train somewhere new. All of my runs start from my house but unfortunately I live on a hill so it's great starting off with a nice downhill for the 1st few kms, but my last 3/4 kms I climb about 50-60 metres which on the longer runs is a killer. My last two LSRs my pace for the last 4k is about 30-40 seconds slower than the rest of the run and I'm not sure if it's because of the hill or because I am knackered.

Nothing wrong with the pace slowing on an lsr. As long as the effort is there this will stand to you both physically and mentally simulating the final stretch of a race.

Advertisement