Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

tang1 wrote: »
    Plantar faciitis it is, at least two weeks of no running. Could be worse, at least i haven't been told DCM is a no go. niteowl1 he told me to manipulate the area with a tennis ball in a socked foot 4-5 times a day and do heel drops, leg on a step and lower the foot down below level of step till you feel stretch on plantar, hold for 5 secs and bring foot back up. Made sure to say do it with both feet.

Have a mild case of this myself. As well as the tennis ball the physio mentioned freezing a bottle of water (coke bottle or something) and using that too as it allows me to roll the foot but also ice the inflamation at the same time. I have reacted well so far any time I have done this.

(Just in case people construe this as medical advice its not its simply a way of killing two birds with one stone that I have found helpful)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Thanks for that Mr Slow. It was good to see how your first marathon went. I read your own log from start to finish.

I have one regret though. This post ....

FFS is all I can say to that. FFS :D (Coming from someone who will struggle to hit 4:30 and was thinking about setting a 5 hour target)

Her time was actually 4:29:15 and she had an army of advisors and trainers.

I was deluded, running the marathon opened my eyes, I've done 5 now and the big lesson is to enjoy your first, you only get one shot at it. After your first it becomes about time and it's a race, your first is an experience!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

npresto wrote: »
    Ran my 14mile LSR on Sat morning. It was the same course I ran my 12mile LSR the previous week but I added a small 2 mile loop with a hill to extend to 14miles.

I was fine the day after the 12 mile but after the 14 mile I was shattered and my legs are still sore today. A callus on my right foot dug in and gave me a blood blister.

I've 989km on the runners. I think my runners are shot.

Should blisters be burst?

Should hard skin be filed down a bit?

As said by a previous poster, negative thoughts started running through my head near the end of the run. Doubting if I can pull off the marathon.

I'm also feeling sore today, i ran my lsr last night and it took me hours to fall asleep. My muscles in my legs felt like they were being torn apart when I went to bed last night.
    I also increased the lsr by two extra miles like you did so my verdict is that the extra two mile was a bit of a stretch. I'm planning on not increasing the mileage for the next lsr and just doing the same distance again to get used to that distance and then pushing it for the following lsr all going well PG.
    I also have a lot of hard skin but my thoughts on it from a novice point of view anyway is that it keeps the soles of the feet tough so that they're not sensitive but I don't have irritating calluses so not sure about that one.
    I have read that you should just put a dressing on blisters and not burst them but again I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject. I know I got a huge one on my back from running with a back pack but it burst itself and I kept it covered and exposed it to air when I was at home. This is what the Chemist told me to do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

I would be really interested to get some advise on blisters too. Im no expert but I always found that if i used a sterile pin (just put the pin in boiling water) to burst the blister and drain it that it felt allot better right away and I could usually run again the next day. 1 area on both feet built up blisters for months every time I would run more than maybe 6km. done 17.5km LSR saturday and didnt have a bother with either of them. the dead skin left after i drained the blistered seems to have built up a callous. My thinking was that the callous protects the area from blisters now? I know in allot of toher sports (rowing etc) they are happy to buold up callous to protect their skin??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

LSR on Saturday was the 1st week I needed to bring more water.

Heart rate rose over the last few miles is a sign to drink more so lesson there but apart from that I am going fine thankfully.

For stretching I do dynamic stretching rather than stand a pull.

Follow the lessons advised by my physio.

Frank this weekend and then I will be hitting the course for must of LSR runs as I would like to run every part of the course before the big day so mentally I know where hills end.

Keep up the good work everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

npresto wrote: »
    Ran my 14mile LSR on Sat morning. It was the same course I ran my 12mile LSR the previous week but I added a small 2 mile loop with a hill to extend to 14miles.

I was fine the day after the 12 mile but after the 14 mile I was shattered and my legs are still sore today. A callus on my right foot dug in and gave me a blood blister.

I've 989km on the runners. I think my runners are shot.

Should blisters be burst?

Should hard skin be filed down a bit?

As said by a previous poster, negative thoughts started running through my head near the end of the run. Doubting if I can pull off the marathon.

Hi npresto I find the same - when the mileage creeps up all of a sudden the legs really start feeling it, its amazing how much harder a few miles can feel. But as has been said on here before, your legs will remember those extra miles next time and it won't be as hard. Not sure on the blisters but I've definitely read that you shouldn't touch the hard skin. I'm walking around today in sparkly new runners, breaking them in before tomorrow's run. I got 350 miles out of the last pair before I noticed the beginnings of blisters on my heels so changed them right away. Might be an idea to change them alright.

I suppose the negative thoughts are all part of the training. This marathon training is tough, physically and mentally. When these thoughts creep in I just keep believing in the plan and jump on this board to see I'm not alone ;)...mind over matter and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks Tang, I really had nothing left in the tank at the end, part of me was thinking.... "I have to do twice this distance in 2 months" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I know I will have a lot more training done and I will be doing a slower pace in October, but it was a timely reminder of the challenge ahead!

I know, how on earth will we be ready in 9 weeks :eek: Well done by the way ncmc, great running yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Here's a novelty. Am posting this whilst on the tail end of my 21k LSR. Have no energy left to run and am in bit of pain so am walking the last 4k. Going to be my first half marathon either way so I am finishing it !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good stuff PM :) No pain no gain and all that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Here's a novelty. Am posting this whilst on the tail end of my 21k LSR. Have no energy left to run and am in bit of pain so am walking the last 4k. Going to be my first half marathon either way so I am finishing it !!!

Don't forget to stretch after PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

2 hours 48 min for half. At least I'm in the 3hr cut off for the race series half. (read that here on boards seems very short for me)

Stretching away here - have no idea what I'm doing - probably look like mr bean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

2 hours 48 min for half. At least I'm in the 3hr cut off for the race series half. (read that here on boards seems very short for me)

Stretching away here - have no idea what I'm doing - probably look like mr bean :)

Nice one PM, don't worry what you look like stretching, I normally look something like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Trampas wrote: »
    LSR on Saturday was the 1st week I needed to bring more water.

Heart rate rose over the last few miles is a sign to drink more so lesson there but apart from that I am going fine thankfully.

Very interesting. Thanks for that piece of information. My HR rose sharply at the end of my long run on Saturday. It left the last couple of km hard (maybe they's have been hard anyway).

I drank about 75cl for a run lasting 2:43, so I'll try to be smarter going forward. I threw away about 25cl because I couldnt be bothered carrying the water bottle and left another 50cl at the last water drop because I didnt want to carry 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Cause of Foot Blisters:
    Blisters on the feet are usually caused by friction, usually between skin and sock. Excessive moisture due to sweaty feet or wet conditions can also lead to blisters. Wearing runners that are too small or tied too tight can also cause blisters.

Prevention of Foot Blisters:
    To prevent blisters altogether, make sure your runners fit properly. Your runners should be at least 1/2 a size bigger than your normal shoe size, since your feet swell when you run. You should have a little room in your toebox.

Look for running socks or socks made of synthetic fabrics (not cotton!) such as Teflon or CoolMax, which wick moisture away from your feet, preventing the sock from bunching up and causing blisters. Also, buy socks with no seams and a smooth surface. Some runners wear double-layer socks created to deter blisters. (1000m socks) The idea with those socks is that any friction occurs between the two sock layers instead of your skin and the sock.

You can also spread Bodyglide or Vaseline on problem areas.
    But go easy: Too much and you'll be sliding around in your shoes.:eek:
    Don't remove calluses with a razor or emery board. The callused skin serves as blister protection for your feet, so if it's removed, you'll be more at risk for blisters.

Use Compeed or similar blister plaster on the blistered area and if prone to blisters put a blister plaster on before the blister develops using it as a preventive measure. If you do this, just make sure the plaster is applied smoothly (no wrinkles) and not too tight.

Treatment of Foot Blisters:
    If you already have a blister and it's not painful, just leave it alone, since the skin serves as protection. It will eventually break and the fluid will drain. If the blister is painful, then you should sterilise a needle in boiling water and once cool, carefully pierce the blister. Press the fluid out and use an antiseptic cream on it. Cover the area with a blister plaster to protect against infection and provide cushioning.

While running the marathon, if you develop a painful blister, stop at one of the first aid stations. They should be able to treat your blister and hopefully get you back in the race, running pain-free.;)

Younganne wrote: »
    Cause of Foot Blisters:
    Blisters on the feet are usually caused by friction, usually between skin and sock. Excessive moisture due to sweaty feet or wet conditions can also lead to blisters. Wearing runners that are too small or tied too tight can also cause blisters.

While running the marathon, if you develop a painful blister, stop at one of the first aid stations. They should be able to treat your blister and hopefully get you back in the race, running pain-free.;)

Thank you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Satanta wrote: »
    Very interesting. Thanks for that piece of information. My HR rose sharply at the end of my long run on Saturday. It left the last couple of km hard (maybe they's have been hard anyway).

I drank about 75cl for a run lasting 2:43, so I'll try to be smarter going forward. I threw away about 25cl because I couldnt be bothered carrying the water bottle and left another 50cl at the last water drop because I didnt want to carry 2.

Guys make sure you always have enough water with you especially on the LSR, its very warm out these days and we don't want anyone getting dehydrated...better to have too much than to be needing it!!

Signs of deyhdration include:
    • Dry or sticky mouth
    • Fatigue or Lethargic, or coma (with severe dehydration):eek:
    • Low or no urine output; urine looks dark yellow
    • No tears
    • Sunken eyes
    You may also have vomiting, diarrhea, or the feeling that you "can't keep anything down." All of these can be causing the dehydration!

Younganne wrote: »
    Guys make sure you always have enough water with you especially on the LSR, its very warm out these days and we don't want anyone getting dehydrated...better to have too much than to be needing it!!

Signs of deyhdration include:
    • Dry or sticky mouth
    • Fatigue or Lethargic, or coma (with severe dehydration):eek:
    • Low or no urine output; urine looks dark yellow
    • No tears
    • Sunken eyes
    You may also have vomiting, diarrhea, or the feeling that you "can't keep anything down." All of these can be causing the dehydration!

on the topic oh hydration, a tip i got a long time ago and I have always stuck by is to check your weight before your run. When you get home check it again and drink enough fluids to return it to what it was before your did the run. Not sure if this is helpful or not but I always do this and I have never once had a problem with hydration.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Did my 14 miles LSR yesterday in Achill, we're down here to cycle the greenway. The scenery was amazing however the hills OMG, I did a 7 mile out and back and it felt uphill both directions! Seriously tough mentally and physically and I'm not sure you could call what I did for the last mile running, I didn't walk either it was a sort of hybrid trot!! 2 hrs 29, happy enough with that, I really would like to get finished the big one in under 5 hrs. After the run had a quick shower and onto the bikes for a days cycling, I was unconscious last night after it. At least the 10 miler next weekend will seem easy after yesterday. I'm enjoying reading how everyone else is getting on, keep it up folks, Dee

Can't remember where I scabbed this from but thought it was interesting. Have been taking water only when I'm thirsty and have had no problems

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/07/waterlogged-a-dogma-shattering-book.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Used a gel for the first time during Saturday's 24k LSR. It was a Kinetica, bought in Elverys. Took it at about 17k hoping it would kick in for the last 4k. All told it was a good run in hills and heat, can't say for sure whether gel made much difference tbh. In terms of hydration, i had my hydration belt with 300mls of water and 300mls powerade (won't be buying sports drinks anymore, water only from now on).

Was feeling pretty good after run but strange urine colour - very dark brown. Normal colour resumed on next occasion. I assume this to do with gel. Any ideas about this?

• Advertisement

murphd77 wrote: »
    Used a gel for the first time during Saturday's 24k LSR. It was a Kinetica, bought in Elverys. Took it at about 17k hoping it would kick in for the last 4k. All told it was a good run in hills and heat, can't say for sure whether gel made much difference tbh. In terms of hydration, i had my hydration belt with 300mls of water and 300mls powerade (won't be buying sports drinks anymore, water only from now on).

Was feeling pretty good after run but strange urine colour - very dark brown. Normal colour resumed on next occasion. I assume this to do with gel. Any ideas about this?

Hey murphd77 I feel similar to you when it comes to gels..I tried one on my LSR on SUnday but not actually sure if it made a difference or it was just a "placebo effect"...In terms of urine colour, the same things happens to me when I drink Monster Energy. Maybe its something in the engredients of energy supplements? generally the darker your urine the more dehydrated you are but if you were drinking regularly through the run then this most probably isnt the case. Id say it has something to do with the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Can't remember where I scabbed this from but thought it was interesting. Have been taking water only when I'm thirsty and have had no problems

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/07/waterlogged-a-dogma-shattering-book.html

I read this a couple of weeks ago and have only been drinking to thirst as well with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sounds like you had a great race Ncmc. That was a brill time :D Well done to Dilbert too. It is great when you're wrecked to have someone to encourage you to put in that little bit more effort :)
    Sure what'd be the point in having a mutual-support thread if we didn't support each other when we're actually running?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Sure what'd be the point in having a mutual-support thread if we didn't support each other when we're actually running?
    Haha very true :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

To those suffering with blisters.. I've been to the edge and back where blisters are concerned.
    They're tough to get rid of once they're there, without just stopping running for a while, so here are some tools for the job..

1) Compeed Blister Plaster: You often get these for nothing in your race pack at races. They're great for covering up, and protecting the blister from rubbing. I ran last years Frank Duffy 10mile with one of these covering up a particularly nasty blister.

2) 1000 Mile Socks: I never run in anything else since first using these. After I got rid of my last blister (about a year ago) I started using them, and haven't had one since (touch wood!!)

3) BodyGlide: Really makes a difference. Anti chafing, anti blister..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good reading these last few pages. I did my lsr on Sunday morning, went out for 15m but it ended up being 16.5.. went a bit too far on the way out but felt optimistic. First few miles my soleus locked up, had to keep stopping to stretch & eventually it was fine. Baldoyle to the Dublin Docks (via Sutton) and back. Took the Elveys Gel at about mile 12 & it did give me energy but only felt like it lasted 5 minutes. Legs got so tired & heavy from then on. had the water belt with 600ml. had to stop for a few walks toward the end. last 2 miles I was so weak but made it home. like others it was a real eye opener as to what the big day will be like. both legs were stiff after (lower) & again today.. both a bit sore in different places. blisters on both big toes (I burst them). I had a hot bath with Epsom salts soon after the run, that felt so good. Think I'll go see a Physio this week about the stiff soleus. Glad there is less mileage on for this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

13 miles completed on saturday morning, I tried to keep a constant, comfortable pace but am probaly still a bit fast for my fitness levels. I finished the 13 miles in 2 hr 06 mins so maintaining that pace would give a 4 hr 12 mins marathon time which would be a dream time for me so for the LSR I should probably slow down a bit. The run was fine though, muscles were sore and tired towards the end but that is to be expected.

I finally signed up for the marathon today I know most people have done this weeks ago but I was waiting for the 13 mile mark. There is a lot more training needed but it is beginning to look possible just have to trust that the plan will get us there.
    I had kind of mixed feelings after finishing the run on saturday, delighted to have completed 13 miles but the thought of twice that distance - scary stuff!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

It's a great feeling to complete your first half marathon; wish there had been a crowd there to cheer you home! :cool: It really would give you strength!
    Looking at the training schedule, I realised we'll be doing at least a half marathon every week (excluding step back & tapering weeks) between now & the DCM! :eek: :eek: :eek: No fanfare though :(
    I did my first half marathon in the race series a few years ago. I only ran (at a snail's pace) to 10m, then walked / hobbled 3m & "ran" the last 500m. My finish time was 02:44. There were LOADS of other walkers the whole way along, I was nowhere near last. Well that's how I choose to remember it! :D (Just checked, that year the 4 last people's times were exactly 03:35, & last year was 03:40, so I guess that's the limit?)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 limoncella

Hey everyone, sorry to be joining in so late. I've been lurking here a few weeks but since I've finally registered for the marathon, I thought it was about time to write something! First though I hope it's ok to join in here, I'm an american living in France and there are no other English language threads anywhere on the internets about Dublin as extensive as this one. I lurked on the novices thread last year as well but didn't know if I could post or not :)

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Since doing c25k in 2010 I've ran several 5-10km races. My 5k pb is 29 minutes but that was over 6 months ago. I ran Dublin last year in 5:26. A month later I ran the Seattle half marathon in 2.36 (it was very hilly and I know I hadn't recovered from the marathon). This May in the U.S. I ran a 12km race in 1.23 and 2 Half marathons in 1 week in 2.28 and 2.32.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!

Sometimes depending on the distance and how I'm feeling.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

Up until last week I had been training for the Amsterdam half incorporating speed work for the first time. But I kept reading this thread and regretting not doing the marathon again. So I just decided to bite the bullet and switch. I'm jumping into the novice 1 plan this week but I think my half training so far will be an ok enough base to make this transition painless (fingers crossed).

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

I had such a great time last year doing Dublin that just participating will be awesome! The crowds are amazing, i've ran in a few different countries but Dublin is really something else. My only goal for this race is to beat my time from last year. Dream time would be somewhere closer to 5-5:15. I think if I stick to the rest of the plan I could do it. my training last year was very...lazy. Mainly because we had a big international move in the middle of it. I missed a lot of mid week runs (novice 1) but got in the key long runs 16, 18, 20. Had I not been so nervous I think I could have done better. I spent a good 10 minutes in the loo ;) but I aimed to finish and I did. I felt pretty good during and after the race. No blow ups or hitting the wall really but I did run pretty conservatively.

How many days a week can you train?
    4-5

Why are you running this marathon?

Just for enjoyment and to better my time. I was so nervous last year about my training and not knowing what to expect that while I had an amazing time, I wasn't able to fully enjoy the race.

Looking forward to contributing to this thread if you'll have me :p

• Advertisement

hey guys. done 6.5km this morning before work in 31 minutes. Really pleased with that time as its faster than what I plan to do the marathon in. Originally when I first started out running I said I want to break 4 hours...then got a little cocky and said I can do it in 3.5 hours. Since joining this forum I have learned quite allot and realised that I am nowhere near this level yet, although I will be there by next year!!!SO I have sort of riverted back to my old plan of breaking 4 hours but I am quite confident that I can finish in around the 3:45-3:50 mark. Im in for the half marathon in the park next month so I will see how I get on in terms of times. I got advice here a few weeks ago that I should be able to do a half marathon in around 1:35 if I want a marathon in 3.5 hours..I already am sure that I will definitely not get this time for the half marathon. So Iv decided to go out and race the half marathon, see where I am in terms of times and then just do my best in the marathon. If that means only barely breaking 4 hours then thats fine as long as at the end I know I gave it my all. Also mentioned previosuly I want to drop a bit more weight before race day. Checked my weight this morning and Im down 2.4lb in the last week. Keep that up and I could be down almost another 2 stone by race day :-) This thread is really invaluable to me every single day im checking in on it at least 5 or 6 times to see how others are doing or ask a few questions, also im sure everybody else is the same here, you like to tell people how you are doing when you hit a new PB or pass a distance or something. makes it allot easier to tell people that are actually interested and understand :-) People in work see me running in most mornings so its no big deal to them when I say something like "I ran a half marathon yesterday" it gets greeted with a "cool" or just a non interested smile ha

Advertisement