Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

limoncella wrote: »
    Looking forward to contributing to this thread if you'll have me :p

Welcome! Of course we'll have ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hey everyone, sorry to be joining in so late. I've been lurking here a few weeks but since I've finally registered for the marathon, I thought it was about time to write something! First though I hope it's ok to join in here, I'm an american living in France and there are no other English language threads anywhere on the internets about Dublin as extensive as this one. I lurked on the novices thread last year as well but didn't know if I could post or not :)

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)

Since doing c25k in 2010 I've ran several 5-10km races. My 5k pb is 29 minutes but that was over 6 months ago. I ran Dublin last year in 5:26. A month later I ran the Seattle half marathon in 2.36 (it was very hilly and I know I hadn't recovered from the marathon). This May in the U.S. I ran a 12km race in 1.23 and 2 Half marathons in 1 week in 2.28 and 2.32.

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No problem if you do!

Sometimes depending on the distance and how I'm feeling.

How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant

Up until last week I had been training for the Amsterdam half incorporating speed work for the first time. But I kept reading this thread and regretting not doing the marathon again. So I just decided to bite the bullet and switch. I'm jumping into the novice 1 plan this week but I think my half training so far will be an ok enough base to make this transition painless (fingers crossed).

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?

I had such a great time last year doing Dublin that just participating will be awesome! The crowds are amazing, i've ran in a few different countries but Dublin is really something else. My only goal for this race is to beat my time from last year. Dream time would be somewhere closer to 5-5:15. I think if I stick to the rest of the plan I could do it. my training last year was very...lazy. Mainly because we had a big international move in the middle of it. I missed a lot of mid week runs (novice 1) but got in the key long runs 16, 18, 20. Had I not been so nervous I think I could have done better. I spent a good 10 minutes in the loo ;) but I aimed to finish and I did. I felt pretty good during and after the race. No blow ups or hitting the wall really but I did run pretty conservatively.

How many days a week can you train?
    4-5

Why are you running this marathon?

Just for enjoyment and to better my time. I was so nervous last year about my training and not knowing what to expect that while I had an amazing time, I wasn't able to fully enjoy the race.

Looking forward to contributing to this thread if you'll have me :p

You're very welcome and you have a great base so you'll have no bother slotting into the plan. what distance are you up to on the LSR, this is a stepback week, so take it nice and handy as the miles are growing each week and the end of this weeks training see us halfway through the plan .......
    There is only one rule on the thread and that is to "ENJOY"....oh and to keep the running slow!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 limoncella

Thanks guys! I was up to 8 miles as a long run on my half plan so I just plan to keep it slow and easy especially since the 15 miler is coming up next week. I'm pretty diligent about foam rolling and icing my legs which I think is why I've never had an injury even though I've slacked on some of my training plans in the past (a habit I really need to break). Also running SLOW is my speciality ;)

Thanks guys! I was up to 8 miles as a long run on my half plan so I just plan to keep it slow and easy especially since the 15 miler is coming up next week. I'm pretty diligent about foam rolling and icing my legs which I think is why I've never had an injury even though I've slacked on some of my training plans in the past (a habit I really need to break). Also running SLOW is my speciality ;)

I wouldn't advise going from 8m to 15m as LSR, do the 10miles this week and next week do 12/13 and following week then up to the 14/15, gradually increase it til you catch up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hey everyone, sorry to be joining in so late.

2 Half marathons in 1 week in 2.28 and 2.32.
    You're certainly crazy enough to join our little gang....the boards buddies as I have christened us. Hope you enjoy the rest of your training and the big day! :)
    slim4life wrote: »
    hey guys. done 6.5km this morning before work in 31 minutes...... People in work see me running in most mornings so its no big deal to them when I say something like "I ran a half marathon yesterday" it gets greeted with a "cool" or just a non interested smile ha
    Good work Slim. I know what you mean. I've nearly stopped bothering to tell people cause the reaction is so negative. Btw...R u the real slim shady???? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

7.1 miles in 59 min for me this morning. I sort of dread pace runs in case I get injured so I like to do them at the start of the week. Really happy with this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

Good work Slim. I know what you mean. I've nearly stopped bothering to tell people cause the reaction is so negative. Btw...R u the real slim shady???? :D

lol not too sure about my singing/rapping skills (although I think being bad at rapping is an Irish thing rather than a personal one) but Im pretty close to being able to call myself a slim of some sort ha. Up until a year ago I was the "not so slim shady"...lost allot of weight so decided to go with that name :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

5km done on treadmill at lunch there... after last weeks attempt at getting back following 2wks off with injury, going so bad (not one run completed without stopping at least twice) I think I've to be realistic and say that if I cant get some miles in this week, the dream is over, for this year at least.
    3wks out might just about have been possible to recover from, from 4 out of an 18wk plan is kidding myself.

Am registered for the 10m on Saturday but I'll be skipping that.

Hoping to do 5km/8km/5km - 12km this week.
    If the ankle holds out, good. Work towards the half - which would not be raced!
    If my ankle decides otherwise, well, there's gonna be some pretty big man tears......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Ah, a couiple of mistakes made over the weekend just gone, I really should know better at this stage :o

Firstly, a rest day should mean exactly that. I spent my "rest day" doing a forest walk, with 25% gradient, and carrying a four year old on my back for most of the uphill. Not the brightest thing to do :(

So it resulted in me postponing my long run from Sunday to Monday. This was another mistake, as this week sees my running sessions increase from 4 to 5. Add in the postponed LR from last Sunday, and that means I have 6 sessions this week, and my legs are already knackered.

Dragged my sorry ass out for 24km's last night. After 8k, I had the possibilty to cut the run short, and given that my calfs were close to bursting, I very nearly did. I had read in this thread yesterday though, that it is the tough miles that your body remembers come marathon time. There are times when you want to give up, but you just dont quit. It's damn hard when you feel like crap to carry on. I had only done 8k, and still had another 16 to do. I really have no idea how I finished that session. Do you ever have a car journey when you cant remember parts of it ? That's how that run was last night, there are big chunks of it that I just can not remember doing. Roads that I ran, and have no recollection of being there. Whoever said that about these hard miles counting, better not have been telling porky pies :p

Ok, so a quick question for those more experienced than I that have followed P&D before. My long runs should be done between 150 and 170 bpm. I've been doing them in this range, but I think my pace is a bit fast for a long run. Here is my run from last night :-

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/213177693

So my average HR was just 156, which is pretty much towards the lower end.
    My pace though averaged at 5:24 per km.

Should I slow down my long runs, or just keep faith in the HR range that P&D suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

jprender wrote: »
    Ah, a couiple of mistakes made over the weekend just gone, I really should know better at this stage :o

Firstly, a rest day should mean exactly that. I spent my "rest day" doing a forest walk, with 25% gradient, and carrying a four year old on my back for most of the uphill. Not the brightest thing to do :(

So it resulted in me postponing my long run from Sunday to Monday. This was another mistake, as this week sees my running sessions increase from 4 to 5. Add in the postponed LR from last Sunday, and that means I have 6 sessions this week, and my legs are already knackered.

Dragged my sorry ass out for 24km's last night. After 8k, I had the possibilty to cut the run short, and given that my calfs were close to bursting, I very nearly did. I had read in this thread yesterday though, that it is the tough miles that your body remembers come marathon time. There are times when you want to give up, but you just dont quit. It's damn hard when you feel like crap to carry on. I had only done 8k, and still had another 16 to do. I really have no idea how I finished that session. Do you ever have a car journey when you cant remember parts of it ? That's how that run was last night, there are big chunks of it that I just can not remember doing. Roads that I ran, and have no recollection of being there. Whoever said that about these hard miles counting, better not have been telling porky pies :p

Ok, so a quick question for those more experienced than I that have followed P&D before. My long runs should be done between 150 and 170 bpm. I've been doing them in this range, but I think my pace is a bit fast for a long run. Here is my run from last night :-

Should I slow down my long runs, or just keep faith in the HR range that P&D suggest?

Whats your max HR JP?

• Advertisement

corny wrote: »

Whats your max HR JP?

202 corny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

202 corny

No experience of P&D so take this with a pinch of salt but i'm 209 max and if i averaged 170 for a long run i'd probably have to average faster than PMP. That confounds everything i know about the purpose of LSR's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

How are ye calculating max HR? 220-age is the only way I've heard of. Is there a more sophisticated way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    How are ye calculating max HR? 220-age is the only way I've heard of. Is there a more sophisticated way?

220-age is only an estimation. If i use that it would tell me my max HR is 198, but I know from checking myself that its 205. once you have a hr monitor and you push yourself to the limit, thats your hr max

Younganne wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise going from 8m to 15m as LSR, do the 10miles this week and next week do 12/13 and following week then up to the 14/15, gradually increase it til you catch up

Yeah I was thinking just to aim for 12 instead of 15 next week. Then add 2 miles every week until I get to the 18 miler. So it would be 10 this week, 12, 14, 16, 18, then I'm caught up. or should I put a step back week in there?
    You're certainly crazy enough to join our little gang....the boards buddies as I have christened us. Hope you enjoy the rest of your training and the big day! :)

Haha yes crazy is definitely a good word for this. I did these 2 half marathons to join Half Fanatics (the half marathon version of Marathon Maniacs). It was quite the experience but really fun. Half Fanatics is a great group! Not sure how popular those clubs are here in Europe though? They are based out of my home state Washington so that was why I was wanting to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

DO NOT CARRY OVER SESSIONS!!!:mad:

Reduce your midweek mileage and slow down (no tempo/paced runs) if you feel like the LSR is too much next week then stop and go home. If you carry on as planned you may add another 'mistake' to your list and end up off your feet next week.

^Tough Love!;)

Have to agree with Mr Slow, if you miss a run, just leave it and continue the plan as scheduled....If you try and make up a missed session this will only lead to injury...you should take tomorrow as your rest day if today was suppose to be it.

Can i ask if this is your first marathon or why are you doing P & D, theres a good few doing P& D in the improvers thread so maybe you should have a chat with a few of them and get their feedback on the plan!!!

If a pace feels too fast, no matter what plan you are following, then listen to your body and slow down ......

Yeah I was thinking just to aim for 12 instead of 15 next week. Then add 2 miles every week until I get to the 18 miler. So it would be 10 this week, 12, 14, 16, 18, then I'm caught up. or should I put a step back week in there?

You need a stepback week every few weeks to give the body and mind a chance to rest, repair and relax, go with the 10, 12 and 14 for now and then we'll see where you're at in relation to the plan.....if you get up to the 18 miles its good enough, but a lot of people like to get 1 x 20m but this is more for psychological reasons that anything else....

You need a stepback week every few weeks to give the body and mind a chance to rest, repair and relax, go with the 10, 12 and 14 for now and then we'll see where you're at in relation to the plan.....if you get up to the 18 miles its good enough, but a lot of people like to get 1 x 20m but this is more for psychological reasons that anything else....

Plus your plan should include at least 3 midweek runs which when added together are close to your LSR distance. ie If you're running 18 at the weekend your midweek runs might be 5:8:5

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Can i ask if this is your first marathon or why are you doing P & D, theres a good few doing P& D in the improvers thread so maybe you should have a chat with a few of them and get their feedback on the plan!!!

P&D??

• Advertisement

leeomurchu wrote: »
    P&D??

its an advanced marathon training program by Pfitzinger& Douglas (P&D)
    they also do other running plans but their book Advanced Marathoning is a great read...

Have to agree with Mr Slow, if you miss a run, just leave it and continue the plan as scheduled....If you try and make up a missed session this will only lead to injury...you should take tomorrow as your rest day if today was suppose to be it.

What if that session is the LR ? Aren't they the most important of the runs ?
    Isn't it better to do the LR (albeit a day late), and maybe drop another shorter run for the extra rest ?

It's my second but my first was a disaster. I'll give one of the P&D followers a shout with the question.

ps.

Sorry for sidetracking the thread so much, I really should get my own training log for questions like this :)

Kinda like Hal Higdons plans

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Kinda like Hal Higdons plans

eh no, nowhere near Hals;)

What if that session is the LR ? Aren't they the most important of the runs ?
    Isn't it better to do the LR (albeit a day late), and maybe drop another shorter run for the extra rest ?

It's my second but my first was a disaster. I'll give one of the P&D followers a shout with the question.

ps.

Sorry for sidetracking the thread so much, I really should get my own training log for questions like this :)

No need to be apologising, thats what the thread is for, sorry i can't help you out more on the P&D...thats my next marathon training plan ... maybe!!!!;)

eh no, nowhere near Hals;)

in a good way or bad :D

I'll give one of the P&D followers a shout with the question.

P&D suggests running the first half of your LSR at MP + 20% and the second half at MP + 10%, HR data should be analysed after the run so you should really have a goal pace to work off of. I assume you're not going to race the marathon by hr?

Thanks so much! I aim to do the 20 miler as well, I just didn't list the remaining runs after the 18 because I would be caught up to the schedule of novice 1 and then follow it as written from there until the marathon...but I'll just take it one week at a time for now.
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    Plus your plan should include at least 3 midweek runs which when added together are close to your LSR distance. ie If you're running 18 at the weekend your midweek runs might be 5:8:5

Yes for sure :) I think I wasn't very clear earlier, I am following HH Novice 1 including the mid week runs as well.

Thanks for the help, time to head out for a run and put this plan in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Hey guys,
    Well, my body has, temporarily I hope, given up on me. Since my LSR was cut short due to me feeling awful last Friday, I've steadily gotten sicker - now have a full on chest infection. For someone who NEVER get sick this has been quite a shock - haven't been able to get off the couch all day, felt so rotten I couldn't even watch tv, headaches, vomiting, the works.
    This has probably been coming for a while, when I look back at how I've been getting on the past few weeks - all my runs have been much harder than they should have been.
    So on the antibiotics, paracetamol, stemetil and am well looked after by my little sis. Not even going to think about the running until I'm back on my feet again :rolleyes: (pun unintended). Am hopeful though I'll get back to it. Will revisit my goals, and rejig the plan if I have to, started early so not that far behind. Will keep an eye on this thread to keep my motivation going, and hopefully I'll be back running and posting again next week.

• Advertisement

Hey guys,
    Well, my body has, temporarily I hope, given up on me.

That sounds awful, I hope you feel better soon!

Advertisement