Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

leeomurchu wrote: »
    in a good way or bad :D

The min mileage plan in P&D peaks at 55 miles, it starts with a 33 mile week and includes Tempo runs, VO2 max sessions and paced long runs. It is a great traning program once you have a solid base of running behind you, if it doesn't kill you..........:)

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Mr Slow wrote: »
    The min mileage plan in P&D peaks at 55 miles, it starts with a 33 mile week and includes Tempo runs, VO2 max sessions and paced long runs. It is a great traning program once you have a solid base of running behind you, if it doesn't kill you..........:)

It probably wouldn't kill but it's put me at least 5 of the 6feet under :D

Sounds tough I'll be taking part just for the satisfaction of completing it and I hate to utter the words I'm probably gonna end up walking a good portion of it my knee didn't hold up to good after my last half marathon :(

looking forward to it though but disappointed I'm not more prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

snowman224 wrote: »
    5km done on treadmill at lunch there... after last weeks attempt at getting back following 2wks off with injury, going so bad (not one run completed without stopping at least twice) I think I've to be realistic and say that if I cant get some miles in this week, the dream is over, for this year at least.
    3wks out might just about have been possible to recover from, from 4 out of an 18wk plan is kidding myself.

Am registered for the 10m on Saturday but I'll be skipping that.

Hoping to do 5km/8km/5km - 12km this week.
    If the ankle holds out, good. Work towards the half - which would not be raced!
    If my ankle decides otherwise, well, there's gonna be some pretty big man tears......:(

Hey snowman having missed a few weeks with injury myself I know how awful you must feel. I really hope the ankle holds out for you. Best of luck :)

I'm a happy girl...physio gave me the all clear to go back to full training, I tried out my new runners today and they feel great, but best of all my lovely hubby got me a Garmin 110 as a wee 'back from injury' gift (I've been using an iPhone app)...hoping the thing's easy to use, I'll be trying it out on my 7 miler in the morning...so excited :D:D...off now to play with the new toy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

snowman224 wrote: »
    5km done on treadmill at lunch there... after last weeks attempt at getting back following 2wks off with injury, going so bad (not one run completed without stopping at least twice) I think I've to be realistic and say that if I cant get some miles in this week, the dream is over, for this year at least.
    3wks out might just about have been possible to recover from, from 4 out of an 18wk plan is kidding myself.

Am registered for the 10m on Saturday but I'll be skipping that.

Hoping to do 5km/8km/5km - 12km this week.
    If the ankle holds out, good. Work towards the half - which would not be raced!
    If my ankle decides otherwise, well, there's gonna be some pretty big man tears......:(

Sorry to hear that snowman, i'm injured myself at the minute so feel your pain. Don't give up hope yet, you have come this far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Runchick wrote: »
    I'm a happy girl...physio gave me the all clear to go back to full training, I tried out my new runners today and they feel great, but best of all my lovely hubby got me a Garmin 110 as a wee 'back from injury' gift (I've been using an iPhone app)...hoping the thing's easy to use, I'll be trying it out on my 7 miler in the morning...so excited :D:D...off now to play with the new toy ;)

Good news Runchick! I have the Garmin 110 and it's simple Simon to use. Isn't your husband a sweetheart!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

I presume the weather will be baking starting next week for the 2 weeks since the schools are back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Would it be safe to say that the 10 mile Frank Duffy race would be the equivalent of a half marathon? Novice 2 has us down for a half this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

rasher_m wrote: »
    Would it be safe to say that the 10 mile Frank Duffy race would be the equivalent of a half marathon? Novice 2 has us down for a half this weekend

Race it as hard as you can - between that and warm up / cool down it'll be equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

7.1 miles in 59 min for me this morning. I sort of dread pace runs in case I get injured so I like to do them at the start of the week. Really happy with this :D

Did my 7 miler today too in same time (well 59.59 :D) What time are you hoping to do on the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Hey guys,
    Well, my body has, temporarily I hope, given up on me. Since my LSR was cut short due to me feeling awful last Friday, I've steadily gotten sicker - now have a full on chest infection. For someone who NEVER get sick this has been quite a shock - haven't been able to get off the couch all day, felt so rotten I couldn't even watch tv, headaches, vomiting, the works.
    This has probably been coming for a while, when I look back at how I've been getting on the past few weeks - all my runs have been much harder than they should have been.
    So on the antibiotics, paracetamol, stemetil and am well looked after by my little sis. Not even going to think about the running until I'm back on my feet again :rolleyes: (pun unintended). Am hopeful though I'll get back to it. Will revisit my goals, and rejig the plan if I have to, started early so not that far behind. Will keep an eye on this thread to keep my motivation going, and hopefully I'll be back running and posting again next week.

I know how you feel..literally. I have been off form for the most of two weeks now. It started with stomach bug then a head cold and now I think I will have to go to doc as I have a serious cough that is not shifting.

I have missed out on couple of runs but have tried to stay on track as much as possible. I have the Longford half on Sunday but it is looking less likely as the week goes on as I feel like rubbish. I have been doing a lot of overtime at work on top of this so I have had no time to recharge the batteries.

It is difficult to try to find time to relax and recover. I feel really guilty when I try to sit down and watch the TV instead of running. I know though if i don't allow my body to recover it won't thank me.

Hope you feel better soon. It's not easy taking a break from the training schedule.You have done a load up to now though so that will deffo stand to you when you get back into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Did my 7 miler today too in same time (well 59.59 :D) What time are you hoping to do on the day?
    Cool :) Something under 4 hrs hopefully. Doing the half in kilkenny on 16th September so i'll have a better idea then. Whats your plan?

Just a quick one, I normally do my Wednesday run as a pace run, but after my exertions in the 1/2 marathon on Sunday, my legs were feeling a bit heavy on my recovery run last night. I also have the slightest tightening in my hamstring (getting a sports massage on Monday so hopefully that will sort that out). I have a 7 mile run tonight, just wondering if I should push on and do it at pace, or just pull back a bit and do it as an easy run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

ncmc wrote: »
    Just a quick one, I normally do my Wednesday run as a pace run, but after my exertions in the 1/2 marathon on Sunday, my legs were feeling a bit heavy on my recovery run last night. I also have the slightest tightening in my hamstring (getting a sports massage on Monday so hopefully that will sort that out). I have a 7 mile run tonight, just wondering if I should push on and do it at pace, or just pull back a bit and do it as an easy run?

Do it easy, dont try pushing a tight hamstring it could easily tear on you overexerting it. Take it nice and handy till your legs feel loose & fresh.

I'd say see how you're feeling but err on the side of caution. You did a great race in the half so you can afford to run the 7 miles at an easy pace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Hi.can I join you too? I have been following thread but haven't posted before. Started the novice 1 plan in late June so am at right stage. Also am doing Dublin race series. Only started running in Feb so will be big challenge for me but coping so far. I run at an elderly snails pace so aim is just to get across finish line. Have three small children too so fitting runs in will be another issue for me as runs get longer .so far so good though. P B s 5km 31 mins June2012 10k 67mins dlr bay / still take the odd walking break on longer runs /doing the marathon as a challenge for myself/ following plan so doing three mid week runs and long wend run. Trying to fit in cross training but not always happening/ dream finishing time under five hours realistic time five hours plus god knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

welcome aboard Dechol. keep the training up. youll find you keep improving, even when you dont notice it. keep sensible, and the 5 hour goal will hopefully be realised come October!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

dechol wrote: »
    Hi.can I join you too? I have been following thread but haven't posted before. Started the novice 1 plan in late June so am at right stage. Also am doing Dublin race series. Only started running in Feb so will be big challenge for me but coping so far. I run at an elderly snails pace so aim is just to get across finish line. Have three small children too so fitting runs in will be another issue for me as runs get longer .so far so good though. P B s 5km 31 mins June2012 10k 67mins dlr bay / still take the odd walking break on longer runs /doing the marathon as a challenge for myself/ following plan so doing three mid week runs and long wend run. Trying to fit in cross training but not always happening/ dream finishing time under five hours realistic time five hours plus god knows!
    Hi dechol, your very welcome and its good to know that you are fitting in all you runs and are up to speed with us. Seeing as you've been following the thread, you'll know that the first marathon is all about the experience and to saviour the atmosphere, the spectators and the achievement, no matter what the time.....after the first one, people tend to try and focus on a time.
    As the runs get longer, the time required will considerable grow and one thing i would say is to try and get an odd LSR done early on Sat morning to mirror marathon morning, so practice timing of breakfast etc and see how it works out

With 3 smallies it is tough to get the time but so worth it. I have 3 myself, work fulltime and have a long enough commute, (65k each way) so i know it can be very difficult and i have been seen running in the dark in the nearest town. There'll be a lot more of that to come as the evenings get darker earlier as i live in the country and can't run in the dark on the roads, but i am very lucky in that i get my 3 midweek runs done usually at lunchtime so that helps big time....

enjoy, and saviour your first marathon!:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Hi dechol, your very welcome and its good to know that you are fitting in all you runs and are up to speed with us. Seeing as you've been following the thread, you'll know that the first marathon is all about the experience and to saviour the atmosphere, the spectators and the achievement, no matter what the time.....after the first one, people tend to try and focus on a time.
    As the runs get longer, the time required will considerable grow and one thing i would say is to try and get an odd LSR done early on Sat morning to mirror marathon morning, so practice timing of breakfast etc and see how it works out

With 3 smallies it is tough to get the time but so worth it. I have 3 myself, work fulltime and have a long enough commute, (65k each way) so i know it can be very difficult and i have been seen running in the dark in the nearest town. There'll be a lot more of that to come as the evenings get darker earlier as i live in the country and can't run in the dark on the roads, but i am very lucky in that i get my 3 midweek runs done usually at lunchtime so that helps big time....

Jeez, that’s really impressive Anne, I have massive respect for people who are doing all this training having small kids. I have no one only myself, husband and dog to think about and I still find the training to be a massive time commitment! Fair play to those juggling family time too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Jeez, that’s really impressive Anne, I have massive respect for people who are doing all this training having small kids. I have no one only myself, husband and dog to think about and I still find the training to be a massive time commitment! Fair play to those juggling family time too :D

Yeah I second that, I don't know how people do it with all these commitments. That takes a lot of determination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

I think it's really impressive, too. I have the privilege of basically deciding when my working hours are and so can have a run whenever I like. No kids or other half to deal with either!:D

On another note - are any of the first-timers here running on behalf of a charity? Up to now I've held off telling people that I'm doing the marathon as I'm wary of what response I'd get. I'm gonna come out of the closet after the half marathon and have decided to run on behalf of Aware, a mental health and suicide prevention charity. It's a charity thats close to my heart for a number of reasons and I'm thinking I'd probably be able to raise a couple of hundred from family and friends....Hopefully will act as extra motivation too!:)

I think it's really impressive, too. I have the privilege of basically deciding when my working hours are and so can have a run whenever I like. No kids or other half to deal with either!:D

On another note - are any of the first-timers here running on behalf of a charity? Up to now I've held off telling people that I'm doing the marathon as I'm wary of what response I'd get. I'm gonna come out of the closet after the half marathon and have decided to run on behalf of Aware, a mental health and suicide prevention charity. It's a charity thats close to my heart for a number of reasons and I'm thinking I'd probably be able to raise a couple of hundred from family and friends....Hopefully will act as extra motivation too!:)

I did consider running for charity at one stage, but decided against it in the end. Fair play to you though, that's a really worthwhile charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 limoncella

I second this! I'm such a whiner even though I just have my husband and chinchillas to worry about, and no job due to the type of visa I have here in France. Training with little ones and long commutes is just incredible! You guys deserve an extra medal at the finish line :p

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I'm running to raise money for Brainwave Ireland. I've found telling people I'm doing it for a charity thats close to me has lessened the madness of me actually running the marathon.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Younganne wrote: »

Add me to the '3 kids club'....! (5, 2 and 1yo)

Would love to know what kind of improvement I'd see in my running if I could get even the odd uninterrupted night's sleep, but I'll guess it'll be a while before I know. :P
    2yo hasn't had a straight night's sleep since he was born..... :-|

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

darabbit wrote: »
    I know how you feel..literally. I have been off form for the most of two weeks now. It started with stomach bug then a head cold and now I think I will have to go to doc as I have a serious cough that is not shifting.

I have missed out on couple of runs but have tried to stay on track as much as possible. I have the Longford half on Sunday but it is looking less likely as the week goes on as I feel like rubbish. I have been doing a lot of overtime at work on top of this so I have had no time to recharge the batteries.

It is difficult to try to find time to relax and recover. I feel really guilty when I try to sit down and watch the TV instead of running. I know though if i don't allow my body to recover it won't thank me.

Hope you feel better soon. It's not easy taking a break from the training schedule.You have done a load up to now though so that will deffo stand to you when you get back into it.

Thanks darabbit, I feel like the decision has been taken out of my hands as I can't even walk to the shops at the moment. Like yourself, I hadn't been right for a couple of weeks beforehand and am now completely floored.
    I don't think I'll be back running again for at least another week (2 full weeks out total, as well as some skipped LSRs), and in some ways its worse than an injury, as there's no way I can cross train - can already see my fitness going and waistline expanding!
    Definitely take it easy for a few days, maybe think twice about the Longford Half? Hope you make a quick recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

rasher_m wrote: »
    Yeah I second that, I don't know how people do it with all these commitments. That takes a lot of determination

i third that - and the 65K each way commute.....unbelieveable - fairplay!

I'm running to raise money for Brainwave Ireland. I've found telling people I'm doing it for a charity thats close to me has lessened the madness of me actually running the marathon.:D

I have been thinking about the whole running for charity thing and the jury's still out whether to do it or not. On the one hand I'm doing the run for myself and only close friends and family know about it, raising funds would mean spreading the word more, which I'm not totally comfortable about...but its also a great chance to raise some funds for a good cause...didn't consider running for charity might 'lessen the madness' - interesting point there dave.

Another one here in the 3 small kids club. I don't find this too bad though, I run before they wake up for midweek runs - or else head out the door the second hubby gets in - these runs are a great break from the day's madness and help to keep me sane :eek: LSR is done early too and I come home to find kids up, fed and dressed - this is actually motivation enough to go so early ;)
    But agree that the 65km commute on top of everything else is absolutely amazing!!

Me too re working hours/kids/OH etc :D

I'm running for the Oesophageal Cancer Fund cause Mum has OC
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/kate_harrison_run4mum/
    Its nice to be doing something cause most of the time Mum just has to suffer on her own and the running is great for clearing the head as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Yep - one of my main goals for doing this was to run for charity. I am running for 2 charities - both linked to cancer.

Bray Cancer Support:

Offering emotional support and practical help to people with cancer and their families and friends in the greater Leinster area.

Aoibheann's Pink Tie:

Aoibheann (a local girl from where I work) sadly passed from childhood cancer. Her parents and others are working to establish APT as a registered charity providing assistance to the families of very sick children. Their angle is that there is support for children - the likes of make a wish foundation etc but very little support for parents. The idea is that they will help out emotionally and financially. For example if you are self employed and critical to your business, a very sick child could mean you would have to close your business / lose your livelihood whilst caring for your child - an impossible choice but one that many parents face. Their idea is that they would have a manager employed by them to run your business / keep it afloat leaving you time and hopefully financial security to be there for your child. That's just one sample idea of where they see themselves in the coming years - they are working towards getting the concept established and currently fund raise for Crumlin hospital and specific one off causes. I thnk it's a wonderful idea and tribute to Aoibheann and want to help them out as much as I can.

Advertisement