Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 limoncella

I think I'm dim, on the spreadsheet I'm trying to enter myself in so I started at week 0 and put my name into the new joiner slot (hopefully correctly) but it doesn't carry my name/totals over to the next week? Do I do it all manually or am I missing something? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

limoncella wrote: »
    I think I'm dim, on the spreadsheet I'm trying to enter myself in so I started at week 0 and put my name into the new joiner slot (hopefully correctly) but it doesn't carry my name/totals over to the next week? Do I do it all manually or am I missing something? Thanks in advance!

Hi limocella,

No you're not dim at all. The sheet is a bit hap hazard for new joiners as the slots aren't all linked from week to week. If you want to fill in the runs you have done across the weeks I will tidy it all up after. If you'd prefer to post your distance to date here and start logging from this week I can amend your total distance for the week. Whatever suits you - just let me know when done and I will sort it for you then. :)

Easier just to give the total I reckon it was only 66.5 miles...had a nice long vacation in July ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

So just a fairly late update. Been lurking here since I posted a couple of months ago.

My first marathon and from providing the overview of my habits back then, the main piece of advice you lovely people gave me was simply to run more regularly if possible as every little run adds up.

So I started doing that and then figured I'd begin one of those Hal Higdon training plans, (novice 2). Been sticking with that, so out running 4 times a week. It's all going pretty well, although I've yet to make it much past the 15km mark, and the full 42 seems a hell of a long way off for me, even though its not that far away.

Been a little reluctant to actually sign up for it yet, and sadly one of my friends who I regularly had ran with had to drop out because of a football injury so motivation is a continuing issue.

Anyway, reading though this thread everyday and seeing the absolute commitment of you lot, and the distances you are capable of putting away is inspiring!

limoncella wrote: »
    Easier just to give the total I reckon it was only 66.5 miles...had a nice long vacation in July ;)

Ok - added you in the middle of the sheet for week 9 (you're in alphbetically) with a distance to date of 66.5 miles. Anything you log for this week will add on to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Runchick wrote: »
    I have been thinking about the whole running for charity thing and the jury's still out whether to do it or not. On the one hand I'm doing the run for myself and only close friends and family know about it, raising funds would mean spreading the word more, which I'm not totally comfortable about...but its also a great chance to raise some funds for a good cause...didn't consider running for charity might 'lessen the madness' - interesting point there dave.

Another one here in the 3 small kids club. I don't find this too bad though, I run before they wake up for midweek runs - or else head out the door the second hubby gets in - these runs are a great break from the day's madness and help to keep me sane :eek: LSR is done early too and I come home to find kids up, fed and dressed - this is actually motivation enough to go so early ;)
    But agree that the 65km commute on top of everything else is absolutely amazing!!

Yeah my little sister has two small ones as well and she ran the marathon last year. She was also enjoying the escape from the madness so I know what you mean.
    Amazing all the same to have the energy to do this. Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Yep - one of my main goals for doing this was to run for charity. I am running for 2 charities - both linked to cancer.

Bray Cancer Support:

Offering emotional support and practical help to people with cancer and their families and friends in the greater Leinster area.

Aoibheann's Pink Tie:

Aoibheann (a local girl from where I work) sadly passed from childhood cancer. Her parents and others are working to establish APT as a registered charity providing assistance to the families of very sick children. Their angle is that there is support for children - the likes of make a wish foundation etc but very little support for parents. The idea is that they will help out emotionally and financially. For example if you are self employed and critical to your business, a very sick child could mean you would have to close your business / lose your livelihood whilst caring for your child - an impossible choice but one that many parents face. Their idea is that they would have a manager employed by them to run your business / keep it afloat leaving you time and hopefully financial security to be there for your child. That's just one sample idea of where they see themselves in the coming years - they are working towards getting the concept established and currently fund raise for Crumlin hospital and specific one off causes. I thnk it's a wonderful idea and tribute to Aoibheann and want to help them out as much as I can.
    That sounds like a really worthwhile cause PM. Best of luck with the fundraising

Ok - added you in the middle of the sheet for week 9 (you're in alphbetically) with a distance to date of 66.5 miles. Anything you log for this week will add on to it.

Thanks!! you're awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

My first post here, hope that's ok, I've been following the thread everyday and find it really helpful to know that there are other people going through the same pain as me ;). Training for my first marathon and I'm up to 18 miles for my LSR, did that last Sunday but to be honest it nearly killed me - I think it was the hardest thing I've ever done and that includes childbirth twice (its a pity you can't get an epidural for the 2nd half of a marathon ;)) Anyway I bought a new pair of trainers four weeks ago and have broken them in but I wondered if they will see me through the miles we have ahead of us in marathon training and the big day or should I get another pair and break them in and alternate them for training? What's everyone else doing?

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

I was told you usually get around 500k out of a pair if runners but I suppose there's different factors to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Trampas

leeomurchu wrote: »
    I was told you usually get around 500k out of a pair if runners but I suppose there's different factors to consider.

A lot of factors in how long you get out of runners.

Surface and weight would I guess would be the major factors in the wear and tear.

Running style would have an effect also.

So no rule as such.

All runs finished for the week so resting up for Frank on Saturday

peggysue2 wrote: »
    My first post here, hope that's ok, I've been following the thread everyday and find it really helpful to know that there are other people going through the same pain as me ;). Training for my first marathon and I'm up to 18 miles for my LSR, did that last Sunday but to be honest it nearly killed me - I think it was the hardest thing I've ever done and that includes childbirth twice (its a pity you can't get an epidural for the 2nd half of a marathon ;)) Anyway I bought a new pair of trainers four weeks ago and have broken them in but I wondered if they will see me through the miles we have ahead of us in marathon training and the big day or should I get another pair and break them in and alternate them for training? What's everyone else doing?
    I'm thinking of getting at least another 2 pairs before Dublin....sure its a great excuse for buying new footwear :D

Today was a tough day! Was thinking of ditching the run big time. However I was in dire need of chocolate and the only way I could get to the shop for my sneaky chocolate fix was to run there.....and it was so worth it. YUM YUM :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

I'm thinking of getting at least another 2 pairs before Dublin....sure its a great excuse for buying new footwear :D

I like your thinking :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Cool :) Something under 4 hrs hopefully. Doing the half in kilkenny on 16th September so i'll have a better idea then. Whats your plan?

Hoping to do half in Dublin and see how that goes. Did 3.57 in limerick. Would love to do sub 3:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Signing up to a charity gives great motivation to train and run the marathon. I raised €1000 for Templestreet in May. Couldn't get over how generous people were and really felt so proud to have raised so much. It was a lovely way to mark my first marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

We (Mrs Dilbert and I) fund-raised for Aware before Edinburgh in May - didn't quite raise as much as we'd hoped but it's difficult to be going around asking people for money too often. I also took part in Movember last year, with some guys in work, and I was tapping the same people for donations.

So that was the main reason for us not fund-raising for this marathon - once a year is enough. But there are bound to be lots of deserving causes out there to be supported and well done to everyone running for them - it does put some pressure on you to complete the distance.

BTW I'm another member of the 3 kids club. Thankfully our eldest is old enough (17) to look after the smaller ones (10 & 7) while we're out running. On that I've found in the last week or two the value of leaving work on time and going for my run before dinner. Beats the hell out of waiting till the food is digested and then going out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Midweek 7 miles done, it was a lot harder than 7 miles usually is, legs still feeling the after effects of the last LSR. Had been away the last few days and there was drink and less sleep involved. Actually did the 14 mile run with a hangover (never to be repeated) I have been foam rolling every day but not while I was away and this evening I could really notice the difference my calves were really tight and sore, it made the run tough. Stretched then ice bath when I got home then painful foam rolling. This training malarky will either kill me or make me stronger (hoping for stronger) All you parents of three are making me feel inadequate I've only two but I do work full time as well. Having to get up earlier and earlier at the weekends to get the training in before the kids are up and about. Won't know what to do with my time once DCM is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Serious doubt for the ten mile this weekend ... Old knee injury flared up yesterday ... Gonna miss the half marathon as its the day after my bro's wedding so really wanted to do this ... Maybe will clear up for weekend, doesn't feel too bad today ... Feel stupid, should have changed my runners last month, but waited too long ... Exact same thing happened last year!

How's everyone else set for weekend?

Serious doubt for the ten mile this weekend ... Old knee injury flared up yesterday ... Gonna miss the half marathon as its the day after my bro's wedding so really wanted to do this ... Maybe will clear up for weekend, doesn't feel too bad today ... Feel stupid, should have changed my runners last month, but waited too long ... Exact same thing happened last year!

Give it a few days rest and see how it feels.

Personally - am looking forward to it but bricking it at the same time. Will be firmly at the back of wave 3 and hanging on for dear life for 10 miles. :)

• Advertisement

Thats annoying for you Mick...fingers crossed it will have sorted itself out by the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Me too. Went out this evening to test the water and only got to the mile marker before the pain kicked in. Lonely walk back to the car.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Urgh.. not a great run this evening. Did my 7 miles as planned, but the tiredness from the 15 at the weekend, combined with the 3 yesterday, and breaking in the new runners, on top of a niggling ITB pain.. all in all pretty uncomfortable, and I'm still uncomfortable now.

I might skip the 4 tomorrow and see how I am for the 10 on Saturday. Thinking of seeing the physio too, to find out why my ITB has come back after lying dormant for so long.. :mad:

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Hoping to do half in Dublin and see how that goes. Did 3.57 in limerick. Would love to do sub 3:50.

Are you or Career_move doing the Frank Duffy 10 miler...If so what time are you expecting?

rasher_m wrote: »
    Are you or Career_move doing the Frank Duffy 10 miler...If so what time are you expecting?
    I don't live in Dublin so I'm not....have 17 miles planned for Saturday instead :)

I don't live in Dublin so I'm not....have 17 miles planned for Saturday instead :)

Ah yeay, thought I read that earlier. So just say you were doing it, what time would you be looking at?

rasher_m wrote: »
    Ah yeay, thought I read that earlier. So just say you were doing it, what time would you be looking at?
    Based on my 5 mile time back in July Mc Millan has me at 1.17.53 for a 10 mile so would probably aim for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

8 days and no running, i'm starting to lose it!!! Cycling just not the same, see few complaining of niggles, keep on top of them lads. Go see the physio if your not improving.

Urgh.. not a great run this evening. Did my 7 miles as planned, but the tiredness from the 15 at the weekend, combined with the 3 yesterday, and breaking in the new runners, on top of a niggling ITB pain.. all in all pretty uncomfortable, and I'm still uncomfortable now.

I might skip the 4 tomorrow and see how I am for the 10 on Saturday. Thinking of seeing the physio too, to find out why my ITB has come back after lying dormant for so long.. :mad:

I'm the same, the LSR and yesterdays run took it out of me and felt like I had heavy legs tonight for a good bit of the run.
    I'm going to rest up too and forget the 4 tomorrow.
    Maybe your ITB pain is just tiredness in your leg.

• Advertisement

Based on my 5 mile time back in July Mc Millan has me at 1.17.53 for a 10 mile so would probably aim for that

Thats pretty quick, i think you're the woman who came in 4th in the race a few weeks ago

I'd say you're looking at a lot better than just under 4hrs for sure.

Advertisement