Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'm aiming to beat 1 hour 45 for the 10 mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

rasher_m wrote: »
    Ah yeay, thought I read that earlier. So just say you were doing it, what time would you be looking at?
    Based on my 5 mile time back in July Mc Millan has me at 1.17.53 for a 10 mile so would probably aim for that
    Be the lord that's fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

tang1 wrote: »
    8 days and no running, i'm starting to lose it!!! Cycling just not the same, see few complaining of niggles, keep on top of them lads. Go see the physio if your not improving.

That sucks tang but just have patience, a week lost in marathon training at this stage is no big deal. The cycling will help maintain your aerobic fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Is anyone taking water or gels or anything to the Franks race?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I'm aiming to beat 1 hour 45 for the 10 mile.

Me too, cos I've done 1.45 in training. However that was weeks ago when my legs weren't knackered! Maybe we'll cross the finish together, you'll know it's me by my beetroot coloured face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Just did about 2 and a bit miles at lake como here, too hot to do anymore. And there are no real proper places to run. All small narrow streets with cobblestones or small roads with bends where the drivers seem to want to run you over!
    Back home Saturday so only missing one 7 mile run but hope to make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 38 limoncella

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Midweek 7 miles done, it was a lot harder than 7 miles usually is
    Serious doubt for the ten mile this weekend ... How's everyone else set for weekend?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a strange 7 miles last night. I can't blame it on LSR fatigue since the half training I was doing before this only got me up to an 8 mile lsr. I felt so-so the first two miles, like death the middle 3 and pretty ok the last two? I have no idea what my problem was/is but hopefully this isn't the shape of things to come :eek: It was my slowest 7 miles EVER since I started running! Given, I am trying to keep the midweek runs "easy" at a plodding 12:08-12:44 pace (per the Mcmillian calculator) but I felt like was sprinting, even though my heart rate was good. Please let this just be a random bad run :confused:

zefer wrote: »
    Just did about 2 and a bit miles at lake como here, too hot to do anymore. And there are no real proper places to run. All small narrow streets with cobblestones or small roads with bends where the drivers seem to want to run you over!

This was my entire running life when we lived in Italy (husband is Italian). Running is considered a death sport! Your choices are going quick in the heat and/or pollution depending or more likely by an insane driver mowing you down. Failing those, the cobblestones will slowly tear you apart step by step :p

Jokes aside, I have had some pretty amazing runs in Italy especially on vacations. I like "collecting runs" when I'm traveling, better souvenir than a magnet or a post card! If you have garmin connect you can use the explore feature and see where everyone else is running in that area or anywhere. That's how I have found all my running routes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

peggysue2 wrote: »
    My first post here, hope that's ok, I've been following the thread everyday and find it really helpful to know that there are other people going through the same pain as me ;). Training for my first marathon and I'm up to 18 miles for my LSR, did that last Sunday but to be honest it nearly killed me - I think it was the hardest thing I've ever done and that includes childbirth twice (its a pity you can't get an epidural for the 2nd half of a marathon ;)) Anyway I bought a new pair of trainers four weeks ago and have broken them in but I wondered if they will see me through the miles we have ahead of us in marathon training and the big day or should I get another pair and break them in and alternate them for training? What's everyone else doing?

Welcome Peggysue! You sound like you’re flying if you’re up to 18 miles already.

Regarding trainers, I had my gait analysed about 6 weeks ago and bought a new pair of trainers. However I was worried that they would start to wear out close to the marathon (I do some of my runs on fairly rough terrain) and that I might be left short of time to break in a new pair. So I have just bought the exact same type on Ebay (saved about €22 from the shop price). I intend to alternate them week about. That way, both pairs should be fairly decent come October and I can take my pick of which I want to wear on the day.

I think it’s no harm to have a second pair, it actually doesn’t cost more, because it will be twice as long before I have to buy another pair. Also I think it’s good for trainers to let them air out a bit between runs, so having a spare pair will allow this. Hopefully they’ll be less stinky too!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Best of luck to all those doing the Frank 10 mile on Saturday - look forward to reading the race reports!

Would love to be doing it but have a friends wedding on Saturday. So will be getting my 13.1 Mile LSR (I added the 0.1 to make it a HM!) done early instead, and then chilling out for the rest of the day with champagne, beer and plenty of carb-loading :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

ncmc wrote: »
    Welcome Peggysue! You sound like you’re flying if you’re up to 18 miles already.

Regarding trainers, I had my gait analysed about 6 weeks ago and bought a new pair of trainers. However I was worried that they would start to wear out close to the marathon (I do some of my runs on fairly rough terrain) and that I might be left short of time to break in a new pair. So I have just bought the exact same type on Ebay (saved about €22 from the shop price). I intend to alternate them week about. That way, both pairs should be fairly decent come October and I can take my pick of which I want to wear on the day.

I think it’s no harm to have a second pair, it actually doesn’t cost more, because it will be twice as long before I have to buy another pair. Also I think it’s good for trainers to let them air out a bit between runs, so having a spare pair will allow this. Hopefully they’ll be less stinky too!

Thanks I think I'll do the same just to make sure I have a comfy (less stinky!) pair for the day and one less thing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Did only 5k of an intended 13k last night. Calf muscles are on strike, so better to pull up short rather than pull up injured. :)

I'm taking a few days off from running and plan to hit the gym for some serious stretching/core/bike work. I ordered some compression socks today as I have found them to be really useful in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Regarding trainers, I had my gait analysed about 6 weeks ago and bought a new pair of trainers. However I was worried that they would start to wear out close to the marathon (I do some of my runs on fairly rough terrain) and that I might be left short of time to break in a new pair. So I have just bought the exact same type on Ebay (saved about €22 from the shop price).

How do you know when its time to get new trainers or do you just work off a distance/time factor?

I have my trainers since last year and from looking at my Garmin Training have probably done about 550 miles in them so far (give or take 50 miles). They look in good nick and feel fine when running. Is it the grips wearing/ support going?? Either way, given that training plan will have me running another 300 miles up to and including the marathon I should probably invest in a new pair so I can have them broken in in case mine go closer to the marathon?!

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

If you're thinking it's time for a new pair it probably is :)

Go into one of the running stores and try on a pair you'll probably find that the supports in your runners have collapsed a bit at this stage and are more aware of the support in the new runners.

By the way I mean actual running stores that have people who run as opposed to the big chains that employ sales people :)

Good Luck. I can only say good things about brooks glycerin 9 by the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I feel sick to my stomach, splitting headache and zero appetite since coming back from my run last night. hope i'm not coming down with a bug, have the 10 mile in the park on saturday!

Donal112 wrote: »
    How do you know when its time to get new trainers or do you just work off a distance/time factor?

I have my trainers since last year and from looking at my Garmin Training have probably done about 550 miles in them so far (give or take 50 miles). They look in good nick and feel fine when running. Is it the grips wearing/ support going?? Either way, given that training plan will have me running another 300 miles up to and including the marathon I should probably invest in a new pair so I can have them broken in in case mine go closer to the marathon?!

I’m a bit sceptical about people saying you need new trainers every 500km, that would mean getting new trainers every 10 weeks or so at the mileage we’re doing! I think it’s normally the sales people selling the trainers that say that!

I think you will know when you need a new pair, in my case, my old pair were very worn and giving me blisters. I would think if you’re starting to get aches and pains or the treads are very worn, then it’s probably a good idea to get a new pair.

In your case, if your trainers have already done 500 miles and have another 300 to do, I think you’d be best getting a new pair sooner rather than later and getting them well broken in. You can still use your old pair, maybe use them for short runs and the new pair for long runs, or alternate them week to week.

I’m a bit sceptical about people saying you need new trainers every 500km

Was that aimed at me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you alternate two or more pairs of runners, each pair will last longer because they get to recover between runs, and you will know when one pair needs to be replaced because you can compare it to the other pair.

RayCun wrote: »
    If you alternate two or more pairs of runners, each pair will last longer because they get to recover between runs, and you will know when one pair needs to be replaced because you can compare it to the other pair.

As I was saying if you don't have a second pair of runners go into a store and try on a pair and you'll probably notice the difference :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

I actually heard this from a guy in the gym, has ran for many years and done 30+ marathons. He said he always buys 2 pairs of the same runners and alternates them. He also said you shouldnt be wearing them for every day use, they will last far longer if you even just use them solely for running and get a different pair for your every day use. I appreciate that this may be a little costly initially but could save you money/physio costs/pain in the long run.

On a different note, done 5km this morning into work, decided to start out slowly and build my way up, split times wer 5:48, 5:39, 4:59, 4:28, 3:59! couldnt believe the last KM was so fast. I was seriously tired but within 30 seconds or so of stopping I felt pretty good again. Quite pleased with that time :-)

• Advertisement

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Was that aimed at me :P

No Lee! Sorry if it came across that way :o, I know it's on the internet and a lot of running sites etc and it always seemed to be a very low amount of miles to me. I suspect an evil plot by the Nike corporation to seperate us from our hard earned dough :D

Ah no worries :) I was actually given that number by a lad in Amphibian King but as I was saying there's probably a lot of factors to consider.

I reckon the only way is to compare is to step into a new pair surely if you're just alternating runners they're suffering equal wear so one may feel day less worn but that'd hardly be noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You were probably told 500 miles rather than 500 km...

You were probably told 500 miles rather than 500 km...

pretty sure it was Kms but sure either way as ye were saying doesn't seem like a lot of mileage from a pair of runners especially good ones they're pricey :D

Although with my recent mileage they're likely to last a long time, note to self get arse in gear 2 months 2 go :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

jprender wrote: »
    Did only 5k of an intended 13k last night. Calf muscles are on strike, so better to pull up short rather than pull up injured. :)

I'm taking a few days off from running and plan to hit the gym for some serious stretching/core/bike work. I ordered some compression socks today as I have found them to be really useful in the past.

Are you going to wear them running? or just for recovery? I might get some too. I went physio yesterday, he said my calves were bursting. did some dry needling. he said my feet were rolling inwards (and had no faith in the 60 second gait analysis that helped me select neutral trainers). and said I've weak hips so gave me core exercises. so much to consider! I stretch the calves a fair bit but never seem to free up much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Are you going to wear them running? or just for recovery? I might get some too. I went physio yesterday, he said my calves were bursting. did some dry needling. he said my feet were rolling inwards (and had no faith in the 60 second gait analysis that helped me select neutral trainers). and said I've weak hips so gave me core exercises. so much to consider! I stretch the calves a fair bit but never seem to free up much.

Get thee one of these, it'll make you cry like a little girl but it's an excellent piece of kit. They have them in Base2Race.

The stick! I love/hate it haha! works miracles though.

Are you going to wear them running? or just for recovery?

I wear compression socks for recovery, personally. I'm too nervous to run in them cus they look like they'd cause blisters. But that could be the brands I have. I have pairs of CEP and Nike and on both the foot part doesn't look like my other running socks. They do help my legs get back to normal quicker, along with ice baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

limoncella wrote: »
    I wear compression socks for recovery, personally. I'm too nervous to run in them cus they look like they'd cause blisters. But that could be the brands I have. I have pairs of CEP and Nike and on both the foot part doesn't look like my other running socks. They do help my legs get back to normal quicker, along with ice baths.

Compression sleeves are designed to be worn running, they are very effective.

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Compression sleeves are designed to be worn running, they are very effective.

So the socks aren't then right? I'm not being rude, I honestly don't know. I want to get the Zensah sleeves but they are pretty pricey and I'm not sure how they'd be different than wearing compression leggings?

Advertisement