Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

limoncella wrote: »
    So the socks aren't then right? I'm not being rude, I honestly don't know. I want to get the Zensah sleeves but they are pretty pricey and I'm not sure how they'd be different than wearing compression leggings?

The socks are great for recovery, the sleeves are just more suited to being on the move, see here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I wear compression socks for recovery, personally. I'm too nervous to run in them cus they look like they'd cause blisters.

I wear the compression socks running and are actually the only socks that dont give me blisters. i swear by them. i have the 1000 mile ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

is there a shop for the 1000 mile socks or is it only online that you can buy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,691 ✭✭✭Trampas

slim4life wrote: »
    is there a shop for the 1000 mile socks or is it only online that you can buy them?

I've got them in Elverys and they are the same price as I have checked online.

They are great

Trampas wrote: »
    I've got them in Elverys and they are the same price as I have checked online.

They are great

Great thanks, dont happen to know the approx. price?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

You can get them in sports world attached to Heatons I think they're €8 a pair. i use the Aldi running socks and I've never had a blister or heat spots cheap and cheerful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

rasher_m wrote: »
    Is anyone taking water or gels or anything to the Franks race?
    I'll be bringing my water belt with 2 x 10oz bottles. I like being able to sip whenever I want :) I won't bring a gel (I don't like them that much, and I know I can run 10m on a proper dinner & a bowl of Weetabix!) Might bring some jellies incase I get bored ;)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a strange 7 miles last night. I can't blame it on LSR fatigue since the half training I was doing before this only got me up to an 8 mile lsr. I felt so-so the first two miles, like death the middle 3 and pretty ok the last two? I have no idea what my problem was/is but hopefully this isn't the shape of things to come :eek: It was my slowest 7 miles EVER since I started running! Given, I am trying to keep the midweek runs "easy" at a plodding 12:08-12:44 pace (per the Mcmillian calculator) but I felt like was sprinting, even though my heart rate was good. Please let this just be a random bad run :confused:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's having an off-week. I was in non-running mode yesterday, almost didn't run at all; after last Sunday's 15m LSR I was thinking it wouldn't be the worst thing ever to skip one run, rest up a bit for the 10m on Sat. In the end I forced myself out the door where I did the shortest possible loop & came home again after 1.6m! :( It was just horrible to start, calves & ankles felt really stiff / sore and I decided pretty quickly that I wasn't going to do my 7m & just headed back home. By the time I was getting back home, I wasn't feeling as bad, but my mind was already gone. Guess I've learned that I need a good 1-2m warm up for Saturday's race! :o
    Donal112 wrote: »
    How do you know when its time to get new trainers or do you just work off a distance/time factor?
    I was told every 300-500m by Ashling in Base2Race. She also looked at the soles of my 2 previous pairs (brought in for comparison) & said if the treads are completely or unevenly worn away, it's an indicator that it's probably time to replace them.

leeomurchu wrote: »
    You can get them in sports world attached to Heatons I think they're €8 a pair. i use the Aldi running socks and I've never had a blister or heat spots cheap and cheerful :D

those aldi ones are actually the ones I use now, never had a blister but I find that when I take them off after a run they are quite tight and for sum reason I can see all the blood vessels down my foot get really big for some reason so was going to try out the 1000 mile ones just to compare. thanks for the info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Get thee one of these, it'll make you cry like a little girl but it's an excellent piece of kit. They have them in Base2Race.

The stick is new to me! so you use one then yea? You just roll it up the calf?
    Any advice on the best compression sleeves & should I buy online/amazon/ebay?
    Thanks ;-)

those aldi ones are actually the ones I use now, never had a blister but I find that when I take them off after a run they are quite tight and for sum reason I can see all the blood vessels down my foot get really big for some reason so was going to try out the 1000 mile ones just to compare. thanks for the info guys

I can't say I've noticed them overly tight (I've nasty man feet. haha) but I'm guessing it's better if they are tight less movement and so reduces friction. The 1000 Mile ones are essentially a sock within a sock so I'd say they'll be fairly tight as well I've never tried them.

I'm sure someone in the know will correct me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

If you had more than 18 weeks to train for a marathon (say you were already thinking about what to do next... ;)) what would be the best way to adapt one of Hal's plans?

I've read that Hal doesn't recommend doing any training runs longer than 20m, but if you did a few 18m, 19m or 20m runs that it can help build your stamina.

Would it be ok to repeat each increasing week twice, do the step back weeks just the once, and do the taper exactly as described? Would it be too tough to do the increasing weeks twice, particularly when it gets up to 15-20m LSRs? Would one step back week be enough? Or would I have enough stamina built up from doing double weeks the whole way along to do double LSRs when it gets into the high mileage?

If it makes any difference, I've been running (sporadically & slowly) since 2007, & have done the summer race series a few times & 6 half-marathon events. DCM2012 will be my first marathon, but I'm loving having this goal - even if I do have the odd crappy day! Maybe my next goal will be 1000m in 2013! :eek:
    Thanks for any guidance on this! :)

The stick is new to me! so you use one then yea? You just roll it up the calf?
    Any advice on the best compression sleeves & should I buy online/amazon/ebay?
    Thanks ;-)

The stick is fantastic, run it up your calf and you'll fnd the knots straight away, then the fun of ironing them out begins. I have the Compressport calf guards, I find them excellent and bought them in Base2Race in Ballymount, you should have your calves measured for these as they come in a range of sizes to get the perfect fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lola27

I feel sick to my stomach, splitting headache and zero appetite since coming back from my run last night. hope i'm not coming down with a bug, have the 10 mile in the park on saturday!

Be careful you're not dehydrated. Its so humid at the minute and as the runs get longer the more conscious you need to be of hydrating pre-run.

That said there is something going round at the minute so it could be that... Take the break on Saturday if you need to. You'll only end up in a worse state otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

I have various lidl/aldi sports socks and they're grand for shorter runs but when I started going further had problems with sore toenails and blisters... Got hilly twin skin socks after recommendation on boards and havn't had a problem since.(although still have one black toenail as a memento....) Seen them in snow and rock in Dundrum and the base2race place in ballymount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

The stick is fantastic, run it up your calf and you'll fnd the knots straight away, then the fun of ironing them out begins. I have the Compressport calf guards, I find them excellent and bought them in Base2Race in Ballymount, you should have your calves measured for these as they come in a range of sizes to get the perfect fit.

Thanks. I have the stick ordered from a Waterford website. I won't get to Ballymount anytime soon. I had a look at a few demos on ucheweb & the stick looks like exactly what I need... when I started running I thought I just need a pair or shorts & asics. Now I must have spend a good few hundred on clothes, trainers, apps, GPS, water belts, Gels, a stick, ipod armband, Physio!! my missus is giving me grief cos of the Visa bill ;) will be worth it on Oct 29... or so I keep telling her.

Thanks. I have the stick ordered from a Waterford website. I won't get to Ballymount anytime soon. I had a look at a few demos on ucheweb & the stick looks like exactly what I need... when I started running I thought I just need a pair or shorts & asics. Now I must have spend a good few hundred on clothes, trainers, apps, GPS, water belts, Gels, a stick, ipod armband, Physio!! my missus is giving me grief cos of the Visa bill ;) will be worth it on Oct 29... or so I keep telling her.

They're all investments, you'll have the stick for ages and it will save you a few trips to the physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 limoncella

The socks are great for recovery, the sleeves are just more suited to being on the move, see here.:)

Thanks a lot!
    blockic wrote: »
    I wear the compression socks running and are actually the only socks that dont give me blisters. i swear by them. i have the 1000 mile ones

Interesting maybe I'll give my socks a try then. Upon further googling it looks like others are running in theirs. My other problem is I wear running capris so wearing socks to the knee might make me look even sillier than I already do :rolleyes:
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's having an off-week. I was in non-running mode yesterday, almost didn't run at all; after last Sunday's 15m LSR I was thinking it wouldn't be the worst thing ever to skip one run, rest up a bit for the 10m on Sat. In the end I forced myself out the door where I did the shortest possible loop & came home again after 1.6m! :( It was just horrible to start, calves & ankles felt really stiff / sore and I decided pretty quickly that I wasn't going to do my 7m & just headed back home. By the time I was getting back home, I wasn't feeling as bad, but my mind was already gone. Guess I've learned that I need a good 1-2m warm up for Saturday's race! :o

Yes I totally feel you shortie_chik. Hopefully tonight's 4 miles goes a little easier for me. I've worn my compression socks all day (reminded by all the posts about them ;)) and did some yoga for runners videos so fingers crossed. Good luck Saturday! I'm jealous you guys get to do a whole series leading up to the marathon, France sucks haha

They're all investments, you'll have the stick for ages and it will save you a few trips to the physio.

Not to point out the obvious but is a stick not just a stick could you not just buy a rounded post or a rolling pin for a few euro and have the same thing albeit a bit firmer :):confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

FiiFii wrote: »

I have various lidl/aldi sports socks and they're grand for shorter runs but when I started going further had problems with sore toenails and blisters... Got hilly twin skin socks after recommendation on boards and havn't had a problem since.(although still have one black toenail as a memento....) Seen them in snow and rock in Dundrum and the base2race place in ballymount

+1 on the cheapy socks for short runs. Was getting blisters on anything over 10k, got the hilly twin skin socks and it's like angels kissing my feet!

FiiFii wrote: »

I suppose some peoples feet are more prone to blister 18 miles and no bother with blisters or hot spots not to sure how socks affected your toenails that'd usually be down to your runners or how you run putting to much pressure on your nail or your nails are possibly to long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Back from my 4 mile run and was looking at my stats on Runkeeper. Just realised that yesterday I clocked up my 1000th kilometer since I started running in July-11. :D:D:D

Not to point out the obvious but is a stick not just a stick could you not just buy a rounded post or a rolling pin for a few euro and have the same thing albeit a bit firmer :):confused:

Nope! The stick has loose nodules which mimic a physio's fingers/knuckles set around a plastic core which allows you bend the nodules around whichever muscle group you're working on. It is a great piece of kit but if you want to pull a branch out of a tree and use that, go for it! :P

Ah right I wasn't being clever just never used one before, although I may give the tree branch a go yet not to keen on inflicting pain on myself :)

Ah right I wasn't being clever just never used one before, although I may give the tree branch a go yet not to keen on inflicting pain on myself :)

You'll come to like it, then you're a marathoner ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

My thoughts exactly...or a back scratcher or nut cracker :D

I suppose some peoples feet are more prone to blister 18 miles and no bother with blisters or hot spots not to sure how socks affected your toenails that'd usually be down to your runners or how you run putting to much pressure on your nail or your nails are possibly to long.

Yeah the toe nail thing is defo due to the size of the runners. I have two pairs, I'm normally a size 6 so I bought a 6.5 pair of Nike and a size 7 Nike. My size 7 ones got really wet from the rain and are normally the ones I wear so I used the size 6.5 and I'm feeling my toenails are sore since then.
    I would recommend people going a full size bigger for runners since your feet swell during exercise and the half size bigger isnt enough...well in my case anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

YOU ARE A MARATHONER IF YOU .....

- drink water in the same way your friends drink beer

- eat more in one meal than your friends eat in one day

- think black toenails and absent toenails are normal

- have an open mind on when and where urination/defecation can occur

- think a stick is a practical instrument for muscle relief not a kinky sex toy

.....to be continued :D:D:D

rasher_m wrote: »
    Yeah the toe nail thing is defo due to the size of the runners. I have two pairs, I'm normally a size 6 so I bought a 6.5 pair of Nike and a size 7 Nike. My size 7 ones got really wet from the rain and are normally the ones I wear so I used the size 6.5 and I'm feeling my toenails are sore since then.
    I would recommend people going a full size bigger for runners since your feet swell during exercise and the half size bigger isnt enough...well in my case anyway.

Most people don't have big Krusty the Clown feet and can get away with a half size! :P:pac:

Most people don't have big Krusty the Clown feet and can get away with a half size! :P:pac:

lol...well you know what they say about big feet ;) and Jealousy gets you nowhere:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

:)

7km done tonight. Bit of pain in the shins / ankles but nothing I couldn't handle. Not a single walk break taken and a steady pace of around 6:30 per km with enough left at the end to come in under 6:00 for the last km. Covered 7k in just under 45 min.

:)

Am very happy with that. I was in far worse condition 7k into my last LSR at 7:00 pace.

Advertisement