Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

All the midweek runs done, next up 10 miler in the park, everyone suitably nervous?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

rasher_m wrote: »
    lol...well you know what they say about big feet ;) and Jealousy gets you nowhere:P

I do, but didn't think it applied to women. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Mr Slow wrote: »

Nothing wrong with a bit of variety :cool:

Nothing wrong with a bit of variety :cool:

Good on you......dude :-P

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

You'll come to like it, then you're a marathoner ;)

I'm a half a one at the min :D 8 weeks and counting :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Im starting to think about how ill carry my gels during the marathon, i havnt worn a belt at all while running and dont fancy the thought of it bouncing up and down while im running and annoying me! :D

Have people started to wear belts for LSR, how do you find them?

And what are peoples plans for carrying gels etc for the 29th be interested to see what the alternatives would be to wearing a belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

blockic wrote: »
    Im starting to think about how ill carry my gels during the marathon, i havnt worn a belt at all while running and dont fancy the thought of it bouncing up and down while im running and annoying me! :D

And what are peoples plans for carrying gels etc for the 29th be interested to see what the alternatives would be to wearing a belt?

I asked one of the guys in Base2Race how most people carry their gels, & in the end I bought a belt. Wore it on my LSR last weekend, with 1 gel & 1 cereal bar stuck in it. Didn't really notice any bouncing, maybe when it's got more stuff in it.
    Also wore my water belt (2 small bottles on my back) & I find that quite comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I wore a belt the past two weeks, with two bottles on it and a bum bag set up. No bounce whatsoever and no friction either. I was really impressed.
    The only thing I would recommend is to buy a belt with more than two bottles. The belt I have carries less than a litre between the two bottles and its defo not enough for me anyway. I ended up stashing another bottle in a bush as well.
    I know you can buy one with four bottles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    All the midweek runs done, next up 10 miler in the park, everyone suitably nervous?
    I've done mine too so all set for saturday, only job for tomorrow is to spend the day carb loading. Does pigging out on chocolate count as carb loading :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

leeomurchu wrote: »
    FiiFii wrote: »
    I have various lidl/aldi sports socks and they're grand for shorter runs but when I started going further had problems with sore toenails and blisters... Got hilly twin skin socks after recommendation on boards and havn't had a problem since.(although still have one black toenail as a memento....) Seen them in snow and rock in Dundrum and the base2race place in ballymount

I suppose some peoples feet are more prone to blister 18 miles and no bother with blisters or hot spots not to sure how socks affected your toenails that'd usually be down to your runners or how you run putting to much pressure on your nail or your nails are possibly to long.

Yeah I didn't think socks would make a difference there but as soon as started using new ones had no further toenail problems and nothing else changed.... Other socks wouldnt fit as snuggly so I'm thinking maybe they were bunching up at the top so not enough room... Well I've happy feet again so not too bothered the reason!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Deedee2012 wrote: »

Not yet but will be tomorrow:( Get awful nerves before races for some reason, and its not like I'm up in front in a way that'd justify it.... Ran the July half marathon feeling like going to be sick the entire time so I actually entered the last 2 race series with the specific intention of getting more used to it so won't be a problem for the full marathon...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Trampas

n order that to ensure the safety of participants in the Frank Duffy 10 Mile Road Race on Saturday August 25th the following restrictions will apply in the Phoenix Park on the day and for the periods mentioned:

Gates to be closed:
    Chapelizod Gate 10.00 am - 12.30 pm (Emergency only)

Knockmaroon Gate 9.30 am - 11.30 am

Islandbridge Gate 10.00 am - 11.30 am

Castleknock Gate 9.30 am - 12.15 pm

Ashtown Gate 9.30 am - 12.15 pm

Cabra Gate Exit only from 9.45 am - 12.30 pm

Roads to be closed:
    Upper Glen Road 9.45 am - 12.30 pm

Ordnance Survey Road 9.45 am - 1.00 pm

Mountjoy to Phoenix (Main Road) 9.45 am - 12.00 pm

Phoenix to Gough (Main Road) 9.45 am - 12.00 pm

Back Road (Odd Lamp to Mountjoy) 9.45 am - 12.00 pm

Acres Road 7.00 am - 2.00 pm

Wellington Road 10.00 am - 11.30 am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭slim4life

left calf playing up yet again so decided to skip my 6.5km today, rest today and tomorrow then try my 19km sunday. fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hey Blokic, I just use running shorts with pockets. Fine for gels, can carry 2 High 5's comfortably per pocket - could fit 3 in if required for the big day! Even tho I will only use 1 on LSR (or 2 on v LSR!) I will probably carry 4 for the last few runs so I am used to it.

For water I just carry a bottle with me at the start and will usually stop at a garage en route to buy another bottle/lucozade later on.

Might look into a belt tho this week - off to running shop in Ballyogan this week to stock up on gels and probably get sold lots of random stuff :D

I asked one of the guys in Base2Race how most people carry their gels, & in the end I bought a belt. Wore it on my LSR last weekend, with 1 gel & 1 cereal bar stuck in it. Didn't really notice any bouncing, maybe when it's got more stuff in it.
    Also wore my water belt (2 small bottles on my back) & I find that quite comfortable.

I have a mini belt that goes around my upper arm and holds 4 gels, you need someone else to put it on for you but it's very handy.

Rasher, I've managed with 2 bottles for years, sometimes it's handy to plan a shop into your route, you get to top up your supply and it's ice cold from the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I have a belt with one bottle of water, probably holds less than a litre of water, but I find if I’ve kept hydrated the day before and during the night and drink plenty after the run, I’m fine. I also recommend taking a Diorylite after a long run, they are designed for dehydration caused by diarrhoea, but I find they help with dehydration after a run and they’re very easy to take.

As for the gels, I use the Isogels, which are a bit of a pain as they are quite big. For LSR’s I normally wedge one into the pocket of my water belt, but for races, I don’t carry my own water, I just use the water from the stations and I store the gels in the water bottle holder part. That’s what I did during the half marathon last week and it really worked well. I keep the belt fastened quite tight, and I actually only find it bounces when I have a full bottle of water in it. It doesn’t bounce at all when I’m just carrying gels.

I’d advise you to get one sooner rather than later and get used to it before the big day!

Best of luck to everyone doing the 10 mile race this weekend, hope the weather isn’t too bad for ye all.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I might take a look at some belts over the weekend.

Yep, if im going to get one im going to use it for sure on a few long runs to get used to it before the big day.

I have a mini belt that goes around my upper arm and holds 4 gels, you need someone else to put it on for you but it's very handy.

Rasher, I've managed with 2 bottles for years, sometimes it's handy to plan a shop into your route, you get to top up your supply and it's ice cold from the fridge.

That’s a good idea Mr Slow, any chance of a link to yours?

Although, I like having the pouch in the water belt, as it just fits my phone and key. Want to have my phone with me on the day in case something happens to me

ncmc wrote: »
    That’s a good idea Mr Slow, any chance of a link to yours?

Although, I like having the pouch in the water belt, as it just fits my phone and key. Want to have my phone with me on the day in case something happens to me

Anseo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I wore a belt the past two weeks, with two bottles on it and a bum bag set up. No bounce whatsoever and no friction either. I was really impressed.
    The only thing I would recommend is to buy a belt with more than two bottles. The belt I have carries less than a litre between the two bottles and its defo not enough for me anyway. I ended up stashing another bottle in a bush as well.
    I know you can buy one with four bottles on it.
    I presume you are talking about the need to carry all the water on training runs. There will be water bottles available every few miles in DCM so no need to carry all the extra weight.

• Advertisement

That looks like the job Mr Slow, i think ill invest in one of these cos i dont really fancy a waist belt

I'll probably bring the 1 gel with me tomorrow and take it as we turn off chesterfield avenue for the 2nd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Good luck to everyone running the 10 mile in Phoenix Park tomorrow. If someone told me this time last year that I'd be doing this I would have thought it impossible. Whereas now I just think 10 miles? sure I did a 14 miler last week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Came across this the other day - another idea for carrying gels if you don't fancy a belt..

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/0,8052,s6-4-0-4,00.html?bcpid=780919304001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAABjSC4E~,YBF36HfcFnZJY3ibhCvDFoKvSj1GTj7R&bclid=1716449631&bctid=1795583307001&cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Video-_-CarryFuel

Personally, I started using a waist belt last week, just enough room for a few gels and a small bottle of water. It was fine, didn't even notice it. My only problem is carrying enough water as the runs are getting longer. I don't pass any shops, but will start planning more and stashing a few bottles in hedges. I hate carrying a water bottle in my hand, especially when its half full. All that slooshing about just makes me need to pee :p I'm just hoping there'll be plenty of water stations on race day and I can drink some, discard and wait for the next stop.

Best of luck to all in the 10 miler tomorrow :):)

Runchick wrote: »
    Came across this the other day - another idea for carrying gels if you don't fancy a belt..

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/0,8052,s6-4-0-4,00.html?bcpid=780919304001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAABjSC4E~,YBF36HfcFnZJY3ibhCvDFoKvSj1GTj7R&bclid=1716449631&bctid=1795583307001&cm_mmc=Twitter-_-RunnersWorld-_-Content-Video-_-CarryFuel

Personally, I started using a waist belt last week, just enough room for a few gels and a small bottle of water. It was fine, didn't even notice it. My only problem is carrying enough water as the runs are getting longer. I don't pass any shops, but will start planning more and stashing a few bottles in hedges. I hate carrying a water bottle in my hand, especially when its half full. All that slooshing about just makes me need to pee :p I'm just hoping there'll be plenty of water stations on race day and I can drink some, discard and wait for the next stop.

Haha, that reminds me of the time I forgot my belt and had to stash my gel in my bra! Not the most comfortable let me tell you! The plastic on skin was not pleasant. I like how it makes the gels easier to open though, they are a nightmare with sweaty hands!

Runchick wrote: »

I thought that is why you ran with someone else so they carry water and gels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Haha, that reminds me of the time I forgot my belt and had to stash my gel in my bra! Not the most comfortable let me tell you! The plastic on skin was not pleasant. I like how it makes the gels easier to open though, they are a nightmare with sweaty hands!

The skin contact did make me wonder - surely chaffing issues there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Marathon entry confirmed. Look out for No. 8204 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

I was running with someone last week who minded them in the zippy pocket at the back of her NIKE running bottoms. When we went to take them, they were warm Vomit.gif

• Advertisement

sassyj wrote: »
    I was running with someone last week who minded them in the zippy pocket at the back of her NIKE running bottoms. When we went to take them, they were warm Vomit.gif

Ewwww, yeah mind wasn't exactly cold when it came out of my bra... as if they aren't gross enough as it is!

Advertisement