Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Hi I have to do my 10 mile LSR this evening usually do the run on sat morning but off to dublin for the weekend early sat morning. No running just recreation.

Thanks to everyone for the info about carrying water and gels, for my last two long runs I have just carried a bottle of sports drink but it is not ideal. I haven't used gels yet but I must start finding out what works for me.

Quick question on a totally unrelated issue will shouting and roaring like an eejit for 70 mins in croke park on sunday count as cross training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

joe40 wrote: »
    Quick question on a totally unrelated issue will shouting and roaring like an eejit for 70 mins in croke park on sunday count as cross training.

That depends in which county your shouting for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tang1 wrote: »

That depends in which county your shouting for!!

Well, since he is going to the match it is unlikely he is from Cork :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Quick question guys, I'll be doing my LSR in the morning and it looks like its gonna be in the rain. I have no issues with this other than wondering if my lovely new Garmin 110 will survive a good soaking. Are these things rain proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Trampas

Runchick wrote: »
    Quick question guys, I'll be doing my LSR in the morning and it looks like its gonna be in the rain. I have no issues with this other than wondering if my lovely new Garmin 110 will survive a good soaking. Are these things rain proof?

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Forerunner110_OwnersManual.pdf

page 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

I have the 110 and have been drenched in the rain before, with no problem. However I have seen some reports of people experiencing steamed up display when exposed to rain. Mine has been fine so far though.If you are wearing a rain jacket then maybe keep it under the sleeve just in case.

Trampas wrote: »

Thanks Trampas...manual says waterproof up to 30 mins submerged in water - not sure how that equates to 2.5 hrs in the rain though, think I'll give it a go - only way to find out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

It's not gonna rain, it's not gonna rain, it's not gonna rain......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RedRunner wrote: »
    However I have seen some reports of people experiencing steamed up display when exposed to rain.

If you get steam inside your garmin, pack it overnight in a tupperware tub full of rice. Its a dessicant, will suck the moisture out. (same if you get a phone wet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Trampas

I don't mind a little rain to keep me cool. just a sprinkling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Best of luck to all running in 10 miler tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck to everyone running in Frank Duffy tomorrow...i'll be there running but not racing...looking forWard to the reports and even thought its a race...ENJOY:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sayno

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone running in Frank Duffy tomorrow...i'll be there running but not racing...looking forWard to the reports and even thought its a race...ENJOY:D

I am running the half marathon in Clonbur on Sunday. Anyone else that far west?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Just finished my 10 mile LSR and it was a pure slog, last 40 mins was dark, wet and miserable. I'm not sure if running in the evening made a difference, all my previous LSR have been morning time, but this run felt harder than the 13 mile run last saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO IS RUNNING TEN MILE TOMORROW. A BIT NERVOUS AS LEGS TIRED THIS WEEK.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I have the 405 and have to lock the touch bezel as the rain makes the sensor go mental. I'm not sure if there is a bezel on 110 but lock it before you head out If there is. The screen has fogged up in past too but rain had to be very heavy for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

sayno wrote: »
    Younganne wrote: »

I am running the half marathon in Clonbur on Sunday. Anyone else that far west?
    Good luck with that. I found out about it after signing up for Longford. I can't wait to hear your race report. It sounds like a rough course! Its their first year organising this so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Weather is promised good on Sunday in the west so at least you won't get wet!!
    I have to pull out of running longford due to head cold and sinus infection so going to run Athenry half next weekend instead.

14 mile LSR done nice and early. Only a drizzle of rain so no problems with the Garmin. Perfect running conditions - overcast and cool, hopefully the same in Dublin for the 10 miler today. Best of luck guys, I'm off to work for the day now and am looking forward to getting home this evening and sitting down to read some race reports ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Fair play! 14m done before 8.30!! about to head out for my 14m LSR now!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Just finished my 10 mile LSR and it was a pure slog, last 40 mins was dark, wet and miserable. I'm not sure if running in the evening made a difference, all my previous LSR have been morning time, but this run felt harder than the 13 mile run last saturday.

I HATE doing my LSR in the evenings, they always seem harder for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

On the shuttle bus getting out of phoenix park (would have been quicker walker as is gridlocked...). Perfect timing, rain held off until after 10 miler was fin:) Great wweather conditions for the race, overcast but no rain or cold, so fingers crossed be the same on Oct 29th

Was aiming for 1.40 and came in at 1.40.25 according to watch so gonna forget bout the seconds and be happy with that! Hope everyone else happy with their race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Just back from the Frank Duffy 10mile

First proper race since 2007.

Managed to make it around in 1hr 22min

Pretty happy with that, think I left a couple of minutes out there with needing a toilet break after a mile and a half ( rookie mistake that one) and the crowds on the footpaths.

Ran the 2nd half 2minutes quicker than the first.

My hip which was causing me a lot of problems over the last few weeks didnt give me any trouble either so Im actually happier about that than the race itself!

Bring on the halfer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Did my stepback week 10 mile LSR this morning.

It was horrible. Painful from start to finish, felt wrecked all the way along, and I swear the last mile of my 15mile LSR last week was easier than the last mile today..

Was at the physio on Thursday, and she needled my leg in various places. Don't think it's done anything for me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thats my race run, with physio this morning and no improvement in my plantar at all. Said it will be at least middle to end of next month before he advises any running on it. Next step is laser treatment on the area. Over 900 miles ran so far this year and i'll have no reward, severe kick in the b***ox. Best of luck to the rest of you in your goals, can't emphasize it enough if you have a niggle visit the physio. You can delete me from the spreadsheet PM, thanks for your help, wont get to buy you that pint now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thats my race run, with physio this morning and no improvement in my plantar at all. Said it will be at least middle to end of next month before he advises any running on it. Next step is laser treatment on the area. Over 900 miles ran so far this year and i'll have no reward, severe kick in the b***ox. Best of luck to the rest of you in your goals, can't emphasize it enough if you have a niggle visit the physio. You can delete me from the spreadsheet PM, thanks for your help, wont get to buy you that pint now!

I'm devastated for you tang1 - genuinely devastated. :(

Not going to give you any bullsh!t cheer up positives. It's an awful kick in the bollox. I wouldn't say the 900 miles are a complete write off. Keep the fitness level up whilst off the running so that when you're back on your feet those miles will still be there as a great base to work from when coming back for next year (which you WILL be doing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great conditions for the Frank Duffy, wonderful race, well organised and huge crowd. No experience at this distance so aimed for 90 mins, got in comfortably in 86. Probably could have gone a little faster - felt really comfortable all the way through, even on that the little hill on Military Road.

Started well towards the back of the 80-95 minute wave so in the second half of the race I was fairly moving through the field, a much better experience than the Docklands 8k this year when I went out too fast and was going backwards towards the end.

A very encouraging performance really, especially as the training has been feeling a little rough lately, like many people have posted here. So good to know that the ugly sessions stand to you in the end.

Hope everyone else doing this event enjoyed it as much as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thats my race run, with physio this morning and no improvement in my plantar at all.

Sorry to hear that, tang1. Must be tough to have to walk away at this stage. It's a reminder to us all that things can suddenly fall apart. Hope you are soon on the mend and training for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Yuuuuus!

What a day, absolutely delighted. Things went really well for me at the Frank Duffy 10 Mile. I finished in 1:29:17 which is a PB by a full 7 minutes! (And that PB was in 2009 - think I did the same race in 1:40something last year)....

Ahhhh, I'm just so relieved/excited/happy/encouraged.

I've been heading to these races for 3 or 4 years now but always fail to train properly. The reason why I joined this forum was to try and instil some discipline and consistency in myself by teaming up with people (albeit virtually!) who had the same goals as me.....and it's finally working - training is paying off!

Although I have definitely felt myself getting fitter since i've started marathon training my times weren't really improving (I did the 5 miler in 47:40, the 10K in 56:something - neither personal bests) and after a disastrous 12 mile LSR a few weeks ago I was seriously losing confidence that I could pull off the DCM..

But today has just lifted me...I felt great the whole way around and I'm pretty sure if I went out next week I could run it faster again... This shot of encouragement has come at just the right time..CANNOT WAIT for the half in a few weeks....My original goal was to go sub 2 hours for that but I now feel that I can perhaps go 1:58 or better!

Race was as I have come to expect from the series...excellent. Great buzz, everyone in a good mood, well organised and marshalled, lots of support...My only bugbear is that they still don't do sports bottles of water and instead rely on the plastic cups...I know I'm not exactly gonna be winning the race but I tend to lose about 15-20 by slowing down to drink out of these which is a bit annoying...I've been at plenty of smaller and cheaper events and they seem to be able to get good 200ml bottles so I wonder why such a big event can't manage it (especially considering economies of scale)..All that's a minor point though!

PS: tang, I'm so sorry to hear that...Like PM I ain't gonna try and comfort you with empty words. It sucks. Big time. You've also given loads to this forum so I hope you stick around and let us know how things are going. :)

PPS: I hope everyone else's run went to plan.....the big one is coming soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

You must be gutted, that's really awful. It was touch and go for me for a while with a knee problem and I was really upset at maybe not doing it, feel bad for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Frank Duffy done, enjoyed it, I was running it rather than racing it cos I did it with friends who had never covered that distance. Comfortable going round left my friends at mile 9 and belted round the last mile. 1.43, happy with that as I wasnt pushing myself. Bodes well for the half.

Advertisement