Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats my race run, with physio this morning and no improvement in my plantar at all. Said it will be at least middle to end of next month before he advises any running on it. Next step is laser treatment on the area. Over 900 miles ran so far this year and i'll have no reward, severe kick in the b***ox. Best of luck to the rest of you in your goals, can't emphasize it enough if you have a niggle visit the physio. You can delete me from the spreadsheet PM, thanks for your help, wont get to buy you that pint now!

What devastating news for you. I'm really sorry to read this. Warning call to the rest of us....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I have to say I had a decent race - came in around 1 hour 47 a fraction outside my goal time but happy enough for my first ever official 10 mile.

I just about made it to the start - cut it way too fine trying to source parking and get down to the start - which seemed an eternity away from the castleknock gate ! Also made a schoolboy error and forgot to apply vaseline - more on that later !

This was my fourth race and I think this was the first time I got my wave positioning right. Even when going in the correct wave going too far to the front of that wave will cause you hassle. Today I started about 2/3rds of the way back in wave 3 and it really stood to me. I went off at the correct pace (didn't get pushed along at a higher than sustainable pace because everyone around me was like I did at the DLR 10k) and didn't spend my entire race dropping back down the field which can be disheartening.

The downhill start helped and I didn't find the climb back up to be that bad for mile. As we turned at the roundabout to climb back up to castleknock gate there were plenty of people longingly looking at those running back down chesterfield avenue and debating a quick step between the cars to cut off a bit of distance. Saw one sneaky fecker actually do it too ! (the phrase only fooling himself comes to mind)

Anyway get up to Castleknock gate and start back down the avenue. I had been saying to myself that I could pick up some time on the downhill but truthfully I was doing well to keep my pace up so settled for this and kept going. Went through the roundabout and I spotted a police bike coming up from the right. I was wondering was I about to see the winner rushing past us whilst we still hadn't got half way. Yep sure enough wheelchair athlete comes speeding by followed by Usain Bolt disguised as a white man sprinting down the path. Gave them both a round of applause but doubt they heard me :)

Kept going and at this stage I was starting to feel it, nevermind speeding up on the downhill I was beginning to struggle to stay running. Done a deal with myself that I would take a small walk break at the end of the downhill. I wasn't looking forward to the hills on the way back as I was feeling tired and sore but again the joy of being in the right wave came to play because there were plenty of people around me in the same boat. I had a great strategy for the first hill up from the kyber - don't look at the top, look at the runners of the person in front of me and follow them. Great idea until those runners stopped for a walk ! latched onto a second pair who also stopped - at that stage the runners in front of me were on the end of a rather attractive pair of legs and truth be known I felt like a pervert so stopped for a walk myself. biggrin.gif

Water station was a God send at the top of this hill as I wasn't expecting it until later (thought it was in same place as the 5 miler) BIG thank you to all the volunteers manning the stations and the marshalls etc. Bit off respite before the next hill up towards ordnance survey. At that stage everyone (well most !) were struggling and pace and positioning was all over the place as people slowed, stopped, walked, ran a bit faster but in general the same faces were around and it was nice to be in a group as such.

Had a nice surprise at the right hand turn back to chesterfield avenue. My little one was there waiting for me and her excitement and exuberance gave me a bit of a lift and speed boost (which lasted until I was sure she couldn't see me anymore at which point I came close to throwing up pacman.gif)

At the end of the path there was the right hand turn onto Furze road and into the finishing straight. I have a constructive criticism to make about this. It's not a good idea to have the likes of the chip timing, baggage collections etc out on the course itself. The road was partially blocked by other finishers collecting their items and hanging around and I ended up kind of zig zagging around the gaps until I got to the barriered off section. It reminded me of the tops of the mountain stages of the tour de france. At one point there was room for about 3 people wide and no more to get through. Most were cheering those who were still running and it was a great motivation to dig in for the finish line but it was a little frustrating / intimidating to run through the crowd hanging around. (In fact by the time I was coming back after collecting my bag etc and the tail end of the race was coming too in dribs and drabs it was worse and I saw one runner come to a stop trying to navigate through the crowd. It wasn't fair for the slower runners and the slower you were the unfairer it got.

It's only a minor grumble though - it by no means ruined the day. The schoolboy error of no vaseline on the nipples won't be made again !! My little one was quite concerned when she saw "daddy had cut himself" - I knew they were sore but hadn't realised they were bleeding. Lesson learned.

In summary I had a great run and am very happy with my time.

Just got a confirmation of 1 Hour 47 Min 5 seconds 4025th place out of 5536. That's not too bad at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I have to say I had a decent race - came in around 1 hour 47 a fraction outside my goal time but happy enough for my first ever official 10 mile.

I just about made it to the start - cut it way too fine trying to source parking and get down to the start - which seemed an eternity away from the castleknock gate ! Also made a schoolboy error and forgot to apply vaseline - more on that later !

This was my fourth race and I think this was the first time I got my wave positioning right. Even when going in the correct wave going too far to the front of that wave will cause you hassle. Today I started about 2/3rds of the way back in wave 3 and it really stood to me. I went off at the correct pace (didn't get pushed along at a higher than sustainable pace because everyone around me was like I did at the DLR 10k) and didn't spend my entire race dropping back down the field which can be disheartening.

The downhill start helped and I didn't find the climb back up to be that bad for mile. As we turned at the roundabout to climb back up to castleknock gate there were plenty of people longingly looking at those running back down chesterfield avenue and debating a quick step between the cars to cut off a bit of distance. Saw one sneaky fecker actually do it too ! (the phrase only fooling himself comes to mind)

Anyway get up to Castleknock gate and start back down the avenue. I had been saying to myself that I could pick up some time on the downhill but truthfully I was doing well to keep my pace up so settled for this and kept going. Went through the roundabout and I spotted a police bike coming up from the right. I was wondering was I about to see the winner rushing past us whilst we still hadn't got half way. Yep sure enough wheelchair athlete comes speeding by followed by Usain Bolt disguised as a white man sprinting down the path. Gave them both a round of applause but doubt they heard me :)

Kept going and at this stage I was starting to feel it, nevermind speeding up on the downhill I was beginning to struggle to stay running. Done a deal with myself that I would take a small walk break at the end of the downhill. I wasn't looking forward to the hills on the way back as I was feeling tired and sore but again the joy of being in the right wave came to play because there were plenty of people around me in the same boat. I had a great strategy for the first hill up from the kyber - don't look at the top, look at the runners of the person in front of me and follow them. Great idea until those runners stopped for a walk ! latched onto a second pair who also stopped - at that stage the runners in front of me were on the end of a rather attractive pair of legs and truth be known I felt like a pervert so stopped for a walk myself. biggrin.gif

Water station was a God send at the top of this hill as I wasn't expecting it until later (thought it was in same place as the 5 miler) BIG thank you to all the volunteers manning the stations and the marshalls etc. Bit off respite before the next hill up towards ordnance survey. At that stage everyone (well most !) were struggling and pace and positioning was all over the place as people slowed, stopped, walked, ran a bit faster but in general the same faces were around and it was nice to be in a group as such.

Had a nice surprise at the right hand turn back to chesterfield avenue. My little one was there waiting for me and her excitement and exuberance gave me a bit of a lift and speed boost (which lasted until I was sure she couldn't see me anymore at which point I came close to throwing up pacman.gif)

At the end of the path there was the right hand turn onto Furze road and into the finishing straight. I have a constructive criticism to make about this. It's not a good idea to have the likes of the chip timing, baggage collections etc out on the course itself. The road was partially blocked by other finishers collecting their items and hanging around and I ended up kind of zig zagging around the gaps until I got to the barriered off section. It reminded me of the tops of the mountain stages of the tour de france. At one point there was room for about 3 people wide and no more to get through. Most were cheering those who were still running and it was a great motivation to dig in for the finish line but it was a little frustrating / intimidating to run through the crowd hanging around. (In fact by the time I was coming back after collecting my bag etc and the tail end of the race was coming too in dribs and drabs it was worse and I saw one runner come to a stop trying to navigate through the crowd. It wasn't fair for the slower runners and the slower you were the unfairer it got.

It's only a minor grumble though - it by no means ruined the day. The schoolboy error of no vaseline on the nipples won't be made again !! My little one was quite concerned when she saw "daddy had cut himself" - I knew they were sore but hadn't realised they were bleeding. Lesson learned.

In summary I had a great run and am very happy with my time.

Just got a confirmation of 1 Hour 47 Min 5 seconds 4025th place out of 5536. That's not too bad at all. :)

Great running PM, thats a seriously good race report. Onwards & upwards for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Trampas

82.40 for Frank Duffy today so pleased with that as wasn't sure what target to do as I knew I would break 85 but not 80.

Basing on my 10km run I was 16 seconds faster than McMillian predicted.

Going on my 10mile time I would do a 3.52 marathon so delighted with that as 4 hours is the plan.

Footpaths slowed me down a tad due to trying to overtake.

2nd water station was short

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

The schoolboy error of no vaseline on the nipples won't be made again !! My little one was quite concerned when she saw "daddy had cut himself" - I knew they were sore but hadn't realised they were bleeding. Lesson learned.

You do know that this means that you are now officially allowed call yourself a runner?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Alanm

I did the 10 miler today in the park too, really enjoyed it. Was hoping to sneak in just under the 80 minutes so I started towards the back of the first wave. I made a big mistake going out too fast for the 5 miler so, this time round, I was aiming to not go quicker than 4:30/km (7:15/mile) for at least the first 5k. I settled into a nice confortable pace early and was surprised to see each km passing comfortably under the 5 min/km, even in the later stages. I was sure that I'd struggle on the hills but for some reason today they were much easier than the 5 mile race.

Finished in a (brilliant for me) time of 1:15:21 and really feld like I could've kept on going for a bit longer so looking forward to the 1/2 in 3 weeks. I'm starting to think I should re-evaluate some of my training times again - I've been running all my LSR's around the 6:00-6:10/km but looking at mcmillan I should be pacing my LSR between 5:03-5:50/km (8:04-9:04/mile) based on this race time. Part of me tempted to leave well enough alone as I really don't want to risk injury unnecessarily (and probably wouldn't benefit much between now and marathon anyway) - 8 min mile seems extremely quick for a lsr to me!

Not sure if the results have been posted anywhere, looks like you can use this link to find your time actual: here

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

MASSIVE PB!!!

Enjoyed the Frank Duffy today, hammered through it in 1 hour 14mins 13seconds... Couldnt beleive i had that run in me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ah Guys i didn't make the race!! i was up with pains in my leg during the night, up attending to sick 3 yr old and didn't get very much sleep so then woke up with a full blown sinus infection, and i just couldn't face the bright sunshine, w...heres the rain they promised us!!! So got sense and headed back to bed but was unable to sleep....would have loved to do the race but glad a bit of "Cop-on" kicked in. This stupid sinus infection has been plaguing me all summer!!!! i can deal with the sore face and teeth but when the headache kicks in, i'm destroyed!!!!aaahhhhh!

Well Done to you all for the race this morning...i'll catch up later, just had a quick scan of the reports there and best of luck to those doing the Half marathon tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

The schoolboy error of no vaseline on the nipples won't be made again !! My little one was quite concerned when she saw "daddy had cut himself" - I knew they were sore but hadn't realised they were bleeding. Lesson learned.

You do know that this means that you are now officially allowed call yourself a runner?! :D

I had a pee in a bush, can I call myself a runner now too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thats my race run, with physio this morning and no improvement in my plantar at all. Said it will be at least middle to end of next month before he advises any running on it. Next step is laser treatment on the area. Over 900 miles ran so far this year and i'll have no reward, severe kick in the b***ox. Best of luck to the rest of you in your goals, can't emphasize it enough if you have a niggle visit the physio. You can delete me from the spreadsheet PM, thanks for your help, wont get to buy you that pint now!
    I'm so sorry to hear that Tang. There's not much else I can say really. Its sh*t. I hope you'll keep checking in here (if it doesn't drive you mad). We'd all appreciate your input/ thoughts etc :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

418814_412839328777954_284484437_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I know how that feels. My 2year old girl was standing along there too. I could see her looking at the runners as they passed as her mother was telling her to look for me. As I ran up to her, I had to stop to give her a quick kiss then went on my way. As I ran away from her, i looked round and could see her watching me with a big grin on her face, gave me a huge lift.

That's rough Tang. You do have a reward. The knowledge that you have put in a hell of a lot of hard work and effort to get those 900 miles done. I can understand why you feel down hearted but you should be proud of what you have achieved, its a lot more than most. Give it time and hopefully you'll be back next year. Chin up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Duzzie wrote: »
    I know how that feels. My 2year old girl was standing along there too. I could see her looking at the runners as they passed as her mother was telling her to look for me. As I ran up to her, I had to stop to give her a quick kiss then went on my way. As I ran away from her, i looked round and could see her watching me with a big grin on her face, gave me a huge lift.

Best feeling of the day for me :)

Just back from the 10mile. Got around in 1:29 so i'm happy enough. Had a false start as I had set my garmin for the start but had done so too early so as i crossed the start line it had gone into power save mode. I therefore had to stop for 30 odd seconds while it located the satellites again before I set off :mad:

Apart from that the run went well. I was very concious of the Upper Glen Road as I struggled on it on the 5miler and had a mini blow-up on it in that race. Had a much better run up the hill this time and felt much more comfortable. Found the last mile hard going though as I was pushing myself quite hard.

All in all I'm happy with the run and the time. I would have been a bit quicker had I not made a balls-up with my Garmin at the start and if I hadn't stopped to give my daughter a quick kiss half way around. I reckon I have the Upper Glen Road a bit too much respect this time so could have pushed on a bit harder on the run before it to get a better time.

I had targeted about 1:26 to 1:30 so i'll not complain about getting 1:29. Next stop is the half marathon in 3 weeks GULP!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Tang1 sorry to hear your news. Devastating for you. :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Awful way to end pal. Sorry to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Did the Frank Duffy 10 mile today, 1hr 45. Was very pleased with that time as it was my first real race apart from operation transformation 5k in Feb. Found myself beyond tired when I eventually got in home and had a 2 hour power nap! :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Deedee2012 wrote: »

It is another important milestone alright!

It should stop there though....I had the unfortunate experience of ducking behind a tree before the race to relieve myself and found.....eh.... the other stuff, complete with lots of used toilet roll. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

the other stuff, complete with lots of used toilet roll. :(

Better than catching the culprit in the act :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Trampas

the gardai could have a field day arresting everyone as they monkeypiss.gif everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Sorry to hear that mate, but don't give up just yet. I did a 4 mile run on Thursday, first run in a month it went ok, so decided to throw caution to the wind and run the 10 miler in the park this morning. Did it in 78 mins, not bad considering I had no training done and I was kinda holding back a bit in fear of the plantar flaring up again. Feels ok now, still not gonna go for dcm though as I've missed too much training. But don't give up all hope tang,
    You might be back quicker than you think. This plantar fasciitis is a nasty thing to overcome but with the right treatment you can manage it and get back running quicker than you may think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Well done to eveyone who ran the Frank Duffy today.
    I'm disappointed with myself, I went to a concert last night and had intended on having 3 or 4 drinks but after a few drinks we decided to have shots and cocktails.
    I was still thinking of racing and set the alarm and organised a lift but woke up around 3am and had about 4 glasses of water but couldnt go back asleep. Was still awake at 5 so when the alarm went off I felt crap so went back asleep.
    I'm raging now as I would've liked to know how long it would've taken me and I also have to do a long run anyway now tomorrow evening.
    Ah well....hopefully I'll get to the half marathon and know then.

Hey tang1 sorry to hear that, I wouldn't be surprised though if you missed a month and still managed to run the marathon...you were so fit.
    Maybe you could aim for a winter marathon now or a spring one.
    It would be nice for you to still have something to aim for.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Deedee2012 wrote: »

It is another important milestone alright!

It should stop there though....I had the unfortunate experience of ducking behind a tree before the race to relieve myself and found.....eh.... the other stuff, complete with lots of used toilet roll. :(

Eeeeeewww!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Well done to everyone who did the 10 miler today, its great to read of so many PBs. The excitement is definitely building for the big one :D

Tang, so sorry to hear your news. You are such a great contributor to this board and gave me some great advice when I was injured, I really hope you get back on the road soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Ran 16k LSR today and tried a couple of accel gels at 5 and 11k to see what they were like when evenly spaced over a run. No adverse reaction, At least I know that I can stick with them now, but they taste absolutely mank, but I did make the silly mistake of buying 2 lime flavoured ones. Anyone out there suggest a more palatable flavour? And do you get used to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

G
    Younganne wrote: »
    Ah Guys i didn't make the race!! i was up with pains in my leg during the night, up attending to sick 3 yr old and didn't get very much sleep so then woke up with a full blown sinus infection, and i just couldn't face the bright sunshine, w...heres the rain they promised us!!! So got sense and headed back to bed but was unable to sleep....would have loved to do the race but glad a bit of "Cop-on" kicked in. This stupid sinus infection has been plaguing me all summer!!!! i can deal with the sore face and teeth but when the headache kicks in, i'm destroyed!!!!aaahhhhh!

Well Done to you all for the race this morning...i'll catch up later, just had a quick scan of the reports there and best of luck to those doing the Half marathon tomorrow....

Sorry to hear you missed the 10 today. I have same prob with sinus.. Nightmare😨 I can recommend sea salt nasal rince though, it helps clear out sinus and prevent those awful sinus pressure headaches from building.

My last run was last Tues!! I hope to get out tomor for 5-6 miles as I am feeling a lot better. I feel a bit left behind on the schedule though. The plan is to run athenry half next weekend if I manage to get 4 runs in this week... Fingers crossed sinus prob will stay away for good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

had a disaster of a race, forgot to erm... vaseline up and suffered some serious burns as i had a wardrobe failure :o couldn't run after mile 3 and walked the rest in blistering pain... managed to get over the line in 2.14..

Lessons learned... would like to run a 10 miler again as I was well capable of a good time this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Firstly Tang1 - gutted for you. PF is supposed to be a sod to get over - I'm working my way through the list of standard runners' injuries and that's the one I fear most. But you're taking physio advice, you've evidently put a lot of work in and it's only a matter of time before you're right.

Right - Frank Duffy report:
    Race went well for me - especially considering myself & Mrs Dilbert spent several hours on our feet in Marlay Park last night. (A guy came up to me at one stage and asked were we Guards. I said no and asked why - he said we didn't fit in very well... I think he might have been pointing out that I was 20 years older than most of them:eek:)

Anyway, given that I was going against widespread wisdom and racing two weekends in a row (6 days since the Clonmel half) I didn't want to set my target too high. But given that I surprised myself by maintaining an average 5:05/km over that distance, I said I'd surely get 5:00/km on this - therefore an 80min target time.

Taking advice from someone else on here I started at the front of Wave 2 and it was a great idea. Good bit of a buzz and had a clear road for a good while - and everyone got to spread out nicely. I felt like I was almost out front of the wave for the first couple of hundred metres but suddenly a swarm of people engulfed me! Ran first two kms in 4:30ish - far faster than planned. Pulled it back a bit but found that I was actually quite comfortable so I alternated pressing on with holding back, staying under 5min/km all the time.

Only had problems with congestion a couple of times - turning onto the path for the first time I bumped elbows with a guy beside me: nothing major. At one stage there was a group of 3 people from the same club (red vests) running across the road and it wasn't too easy get past. Around 7/8 miles, there was a guy who was zigzagging around me trying to get past people and he nearly tripped me up. Other than that it was fine (though I passed many, many people in the first few kms who were running much more slowly than me and who'd evidently started in Wave 1 but couldn't even nearly keep up. Why oh why do people persist in doing this? It was marked clearly, they were announcing it on the PA for 15 mins before).

The hills were grand too - I train in a hilly area so these were little challenge. Only ran once in the park before (GIR2011) so I was surprised not to follow the part of that route that goes down in a valley and up the other side.

Run into the finish was grand too - despite a slight fade around mile 8 (no jelly babies today!) I had enough left in the tank for me to press on for the last km. Finished in 1:17.15 (for 16.23km per my Garmin) - 2:45 ahead of schedule for my first time at the distance. Mrs. Dilbert finished in 1:12, 9 mins ahead of her last time on the same distance. Fruit at the finish line was great. T-shirt is nice and fitted us both well (in our respective sizes). Long walk back to the car was great for getting the legs warmed down. Successful day all round. And got photographed several times - there's a set of photos linked on the Frank Duffy thread and I'm in there a few times, not looking exhausted either! Garmin data at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/214891104

Only down side for me was the condition of the portaloos. They seemed to have been the Ryanair version - no flusher, no paper, nobody going around checking condition & replenishing paper (as they did at the Edinburgh Marathon Festival in May).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Younganne wrote: »

Friend of mine suffered from constant sinus infections over last year and a bit and they'd even talked about surgery when someone suggested food allergies. Got tested and super sensitive to loads of stuff (wheat, eggs, red meat, citrus fruits...) so cut them out and 4 months later she hasn't had a single infection.

Her new diet is v awkward and obviously everyones different but might be worth getting checked out.... If is something in food triggering it you'd have time now before dcm to get it out of your system and start seeing benefits.

Advertisement