Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Did the 10 mile in 1hr36, happy with that.Best race so far for me in terms of pacing, I didn't bolt out of the traps on the first mile like I have done before and it made a lot of difference. Found it much easier to control my pace, must be the training paying off at last. Had a gel before start as have been really struggling this week with tiredness, and then 1 at 5 miles. Was comfortable until legs seemed to tire at 8.5 miles but found a bit left at 9.5 miles and pushed hard to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bsile71

Half way through the 18 week plan at this stage, going well a few aches and pains from over used, over stretched muscles, but nothing major. Did my lsr of 15 miles today (longest ever run), and took gels for the first time at mile 5 and mile 10 seemed to be ok. Still roughly following HHN2 plan. The next few weeks will be where most of the work will be I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats my race run, with physio this morning and no improvement in my plantar at all. Said it will be at least middle to end of next month before he advises any running on it. Next step is laser treatment on the area. Over 900 miles ran so far this year and i'll have no reward, severe kick in the b***ox. Best of luck to the rest of you in your goals, can't emphasize it enough if you have a niggle visit the physio. You can delete me from the spreadsheet PM, thanks for your help, wont get to buy you that pint now!

I've been thinking about this tang1.

I really don't think you should write yourself off completely yet. If you keep up the fitness levels in the mean time coming back mid september still gives you 6 weeks before the marathon. For most of us here that would be a write off but you've probably got one of if not the best fitness levels of us all based on your times for the half marathon this year and you have been through it before (marathon wise) Hell you were running 30 mile weeks before the plan even started !

I know you targetted a 3:30 which may be stretching it but how bad was your first marathon ?? (I read your OP in this thread - you done that on no training) Do you think you could beat that time ? If you're capable of running this years DCM even at a slower pace than originally planned I'd encourage you to do so.

I'm certainly not moving you to the inactive members section of the sheet anyway. I really think you could be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I really don't think you should write yourself off completely yet. If you keep up the fitness levels in the mean time coming back mid september still gives you 6 weeks before the marathon. For most of us here that would be a write off but you've probably got one of if not the best fitness levels of us all based on your times for the half marathon this year and you have been through it before (marathon wise) Hell you were running 30 mile weeks before the plan even started !

I know you targetted a 3:30 which may be stretching it but how bad was your first marathon ?? (I read your OP in this thread - you done that on no training) Do you think you could beat that time ? If you're capable of running this years DCM even at a slower pace than originally planned I'd encourage you to do so.

I'm certainly not moving you to the inactive members section of the sheet anyway. I really think you could be back.

Be honest, you are just looking for him to buy you that pint that he promised you. Fes up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Haha thats what I was thinking too :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

At the ten mile in park was handed Flyer for Eco2race twenty mile race at end of Sep. Is anyone else thinking of doing this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thanks PM, you give a man a lift i'll give you that. I'm running the Athlone Half next month regardless of physio, made promise to family member i'd do it with them and won't let them down regardless. Be no running between then and now though, i'll see how i go there and make a final final decision then.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

Well done to all who completed the 10 miler.

Tang1 so sorry to hear your news. Such a blow especially with all the training you have put in. I'm off to physio myself this week with plantar problems, still having niggles. Could you describe pain/niggles if you don't mind? Mine is never sore when I run (maybe sometimes during warm-up or first mile or two). It's the day after a run when I'm get the niggles/slight pains. I'm now dreading physio!!!

niteowl1 wrote: »
    Well done to all who completed the 10 miler.

Tang1 so sorry to hear your news. Such a blow especially with all the training you have put in. I'm off to physio myself this week with plantar problems, still having niggles. Could you describe pain/niggles if you don't mind? Mine is never sore when I run (maybe sometimes during warm-up or first mile or two). It's the day after a run when I'm get the niggles/slight pains. I'm now dreading physio!!!

Mine is like a tight pulling across the sole of my foot from my big toe say diagonally to other side of my foot, have it most of the time. Worst in the morning when i get up when my heel is sore to. Cant tell what its like when running cause haven't ran on mine. Hope your diagnosis is better than mine niteowl1.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭niteowl1

ok thanks for that Tang1. will let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't want to panic anyone but... 9 weeks tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Plenty time! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Better get off the couch so or it could be a loooooong walk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Went out tonight for a 15.6 mile run, I was supposed to do a half marathon according to Hal. After missing the 10 miler in the park yesterday I feel like I have redeemed myself to some degree. Glad its over now for another few days, those lsr's really stiffen up the aul legs.

rasher_m wrote: »
    Went out tonight for a 15.6 mile run, I was supposed to do a half marathon according to Hal. After missing the 10 miler in the park yesterday I feel like I have redeemed myself to some degree. Glad its over now for another few days, those lsr's really stiffen up the aul legs.

Good stuff rasher_m, great dedication to get that done.

dechol wrote: »
    At the ten mile in park was handed Flyer for Eco2race twenty mile race at end of Sep. Is anyone else thinking of doing this ?

One thing i can tell you is the race will be excellently organised. Lads that do this organise the Athlone 3/4 Marathon and Tulfarris Tough 10 mile races, latter which i've done. They do great races and can't see the Eco2Run being any different if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Trampas

moving everything a day forward this week as to much on at the weekend to fit a 3 hour run in but off work this week so makes it easier.

Plan for LSR is run from Crumlin SC all the way around the DCM course and back to Crumlin SC. Should be around 17 miles.

Plan over the next few weeks is to do my LSR on course to get a good look at the course.

Anyone else planning running on the course over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Trampas wrote: »
    moving everything a day forward this week as to much on at the weekend to fit a 3 hour run in but off work this week so makes it easier.

Plan for LSR is run from Crumlin SC all the way around the DCM course and back to Crumlin SC. Should be around 17 miles.

Plan over the next few weeks is to do my LSR on course to get a good look at the course.

Anyone else planning running on the course over the next few weeks

I did one run so far on part of the course, templeogue to RTE and back, was very useful I thought, the plan is to do the rest of the LSR's in the course to take the mystery of of it. It definitely helps me to know what's coming ahead. Good luck with the 17 miles (17 miles, eeekk!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats my race run, with physio this morning and no improvement in my plantar at all. Said it will be at least middle to end of next month before he advises any running on it. Next step is laser treatment on the area. Over 900 miles ran so far this year and i'll have no reward, severe kick in the b***ox. Best of luck to the rest of you in your goals, can't emphasize it enough if you have a niggle visit the physio. You can delete me from the spreadsheet PM, thanks for your help, wont get to buy you that pint now!
    God, I’m just gutted for you Tang, it’s heartbreaking to have to pull out at this stage. I would have to agree with Pageant, I wouldn’t be pulling out for definite just yet, even if you were out til the middle of next month, you would have six weeks of training left. You were one of the strongest people on this whole thread, so there’s no reason why you couldn’t put in a good performance in DCM even with the break in training. As PM said, maybe just adjust your target time, and keep up with the cross training to keep your fitness levels up. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Had a good week last week, was up visiting my parents, so did my 15 mile LSR on Saturday on a lane near their house. It’s a circle of about a mile, so went round it 13.5 times! Was slightly monotonous, but it is a lovely flat lane with nearly no traffic so it was perfect for running. Was able to stash my water belt too so was great not to have to wear that. Listened to an audio book instead of music, I have to say it was great and really passed the time, w definitely be doing that from now on. Have to say I felt really fresh after the run, no tiredness or soreness at all. Was able to help my mum with some gardening, go to a christening and hit the pub all in the same day! Normally I’m a resident of snoozy town after my LSR, so they are definitely getting easier.

So, I am on my holiers on Saturday (woo hoo!) so want to get my runs all done by Friday. I have adjusted the weeks because of the holidays, so my LSR is 17 miles this week. I was thinking of running that on Friday evening, but I have a bit to do that evening and have to be up at stupid O’Clock to get to the airport (about 2.30 am :eek:) so thinking it might not be the best day to do it. What about doing 4 mile recover tonight, LSR tomorrow, 4 mile recovery Thursday and 8 mile pace on Friday. How does that sound? Or is it too close to my previous LSR?

Oh and well done to all those who ran the 10 mile on Saturday, great running one and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

Duzzie wrote: »
    Just back from the 10mile. Got around in 1:29 so i'm happy enough. Had a false start as I had set my garmin for the start but had done so too early so as i crossed the start line it had gone into power save mode. I therefore had to stop for 30 odd seconds while it located the satellites again before I set off :mad:

Apart from that the run went well. I was very concious of the Upper Glen Road as I struggled on it on the 5miler and had a mini blow-up on it in that race. Had a much better run up the hill this time and felt much more comfortable. Found the last mile hard going though as I was pushing myself quite hard.

All in all I'm happy with the run and the time. I would have been a bit quicker had I not made a balls-up with my Garmin at the start and if I hadn't stopped to give my daughter a quick kiss half way around. I reckon I have the Upper Glen Road a bit too much respect this time so could have pushed on a bit harder on the run before it to get a better time.

I had targeted about 1:26 to 1:30 so i'll not complain about getting 1:29. Next stop is the half marathon in 3 weeks GULP!!!!

Did the Oylegate half marathon yesterday and made the same amateur mistake with the Garmin. Crossing the start line and went to to start it and it spent the nexy 30 seconds or so locating satellites. Managed to cross the line in 1:36:40 by the Garmin so I'm guessing a bit over 1:37 allowing for missing the start. Over 5 minutes improvement on my previous half. Was a really warm morning and found the last mile extremely tough but delighted with the time and the training seems to be paying off. Well done to everyone on their 10 milers. Overall everyone seems to have positive reports.

• Advertisement

Did the Oylegate half marathon yesterday and made the same amateur mistake with the Garmin. Crossing the start line and went to to start it and it spent the nexy 30 seconds or so locating satellites. Managed to cross the line in 1:36:40 by the Garmin so I'm guessing a bit over 1:37 allowing for missing the start. Over 5 minutes improvement on my previous half. Was a really warm morning and found the last mile extremely tough but delighted with the time and the training seems to be paying off. Well done to everyone on their 10 milers. Overall everyone seems to have positive reports.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that. I'll not be doing it again. 1:36 or 1:37, what ever it was is damn fine running for the half. I'm a long way off running times like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Duzzie wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that.

I've even heard of pacers who have to stop everyone at the start line because they don't have their Garmin ready. ;)

RayCun wrote: »
    I've even heard of pacers who have to stop everyone at the start line because they don't have their Garmin ready. ;)

You do know that you have to name names with a statement like that.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Week 10 - Half the plan now completed!!

Monday |Tuesday |Wednesday |Thursday |Friday |Saturday |Sunday |Total
    rest |3m/5k |7m/12k |4m/6.5k |rest |15m/24k |cross |29m/47.5Km

The LSRs are getting longer, so
    • start off slow, and try to keep a steady pace throughout
    • plan your food and drink for the LSR
    • run with a group if you can weekly meets here
    Anyone who raced the weekend, make Tuesdays run extra slow and treat it as a recovery run, so a bit slower than the LSR pace...this will refresh the legs and help get ready for the LSR...

Please try and not change the plan by adding and shifting weeks around as its going to get tougher as the LSR gets longer and the mid week runs get a bit longer too!!

And finally remember to believe in yourself and keep a positive mind!!:D

@Tang, very sorry to hear that your injury hasn't improved enought to get back running, but like others have said Don't make any final decisions just yet.....you ahve a good level of fitness buitl up and see what the physio says in a few weeks about how your injury is progressing.
    I'm running the Athlone Half next month regardless of physio, made promise to family member i'd do it with them and won't let them down regardless

Tang I wouldn't advise running on it against the Physio advice as this may well put an end to your Dublin marathon, whereas if you rest it up you may be able to make it....i'm sure your family member would understand and would not wish for you to make your injury worst by running...think about it before doing the race...

FiiFii wrote: »
    Friend of mine suffered from constant sinus infections over last year and a bit and they'd even talked about surgery when someone suggested food allergies. Got tested and super sensitive to loads of stuff (wheat, eggs, red meat, citrus fruits...) so cut them out and 4 months later she hasn't had a single infection.

Her new diet is v awkward and obviously everyones different but might be worth getting checked out.... If is something in food triggering it you'd have time now before dcm to get it out of your system and start seeing benefits.

Thanks for that FiiFii, i'll have a chat with Doc and see what he says.

Well done everyone on great running over the weekend and even if you are not totally happy with your time, the experience will stand to you come this day 9 weeks ;)

My legs aren't sore at all from Saturday, so I'm obviously not pushing myself enough :)
    Younganne wrote: »

Anyone who raced the weekend, make Tuesdays run extra slow and treat it as a recovery run, so a bit slower than the LSR pace...this will refresh the legs and help get ready for the LSR...

Please try and not change the plan by adding and shifting weeks around as its going to get tougher as the LSR gets longer and the mid week runs get a bit longer too!!

Younganne wrote: »

I am away from Friday to Monday, with absolutely no chance of getting a run in in this period (EP!). I was going to run 7 miles tonight, 4miles Tuesday, and as much of a LSR I can manage on Wed

sassyj wrote: »
    I am away from Friday to Monday, with absolutely no chance of getting a run in in this period (EP!). I was going to run 7 miles tonight, 4miles Tuesday, and as much of a LSR I can manage on Wed

If you could push the LSR out as far as Thur, you'd be giving your body a beter chance to rest. then you could do the 7 tonight very easy, 4 tue, 4 wed and the LSR thur....

• Advertisement

sassyj wrote: »
    My legs aren't sore at all from Saturday, so I'm obviously not pushing myself enough :)

just because your legs aren't sore doesn't mean you didn't push yourself...just your fitness levels increasing. :D

Advertisement