Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All My Electric Clocks Are Slow

Options
  • 26-04-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

It was very hard to decide which was the best forum for this query, so this is also posted in Science/engineering.

I noticed today that all five of my 230v electric radio/clocks have gone slow by about 20/25 seconds. I always keep them 10/15 seconds fast so I can tune into news without the preceding adverts. Now they are ALL 10/15 seconds slow.

I got the midday chime from my radio controlled watch a while ago, and to my astonishment my office clock was still 11:59. I checked all other clocks .... ditto.

This must be an ESB frequency problem. My question is .... should I leave things as thay are in the hope that the ESB will do a frequency catch up or should I bite the bullet and reset the clocks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

eirman wrote: »
    It was very hard to decide which was the best forum for this query, so this is also posted in Science/engineering.

I noticed today that all five of my 230v electric radio/clocks have gone slow by about 20/25 seconds. I always keep them 10/15 seconds fast so I can tune into news without the preceding adverts. Now they are ALL 10/15 seconds slow.

I got the midday chime from my radio controlled watch a while ago, and to my astonishment my office clock was still 11:59. I checked all other clocks .... ditto.

This must be an ESB frequency problem. My question is .... should I leave things as thay are in the hope that the ESB will do a frequency catch up or should I bite the bullet and reset the clocks.

Drama-queen-ahead.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They're slowing in tune with the Earth's rotation, the ESB knock off cycles now and again so that the clocks are kept in sync. Eventually the clocks will fall a day behind the calendar so don't forget to tell the boss he owes you an extra day's wages in the next payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

There was a modicum of intelligent response over in the engineering forum, so I'll stick with that one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78352897#post78352897

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

Good news ... ALL 5 clocks have regained the lost seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

eirman wrote: »
    Good news ... ALL 5 clocks have regained the lost seconds.
    Thank god for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Phew, that was close. I was getting worried there for all of four seconds!

Advertisement