Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed up with Eircom at the door - package not as he said

Options
  • 26-04-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

My mother signed up with Eircom at the door (phone & Internet), and was assured free unlimited UK calls, as she calls her family in the UK daily. He said she could ring England "24 hours a day, 7 days a week" (under an hour duration). She already had this package with another provider, but the salesman told her she would have the same and promote Irish Jobs too.

Suddenly she was unable to call the UK on Monday. When this was queried - she was told there was a block on UK calls due to the high charges incurred.These calls were supposed to be free. She had not received a bill or any communication from Eircom. She has been hours on the phone to them to try to sort out this mess. After days of calling Eircom - it still appears that she will only have a maximum of 34 hours monthly on this, and the Unlimited package she was offered is no longer available since April 2nd.

Now she has no phone / Internet service at all. So I have also been hours on the phone (apparently her account is not cut-off - it's a coincidental fault).

The salesman's name and number was given to Eircom Customer Service and my mother was advised that she needs to ring the salesman herself to follow this up. Her contract is with Eircom not with the salesman. She is not getting what she was verbally guaranteed, and cannot get this as there is now no package offering this. Is she entitled to cancel this contract as it is not what she signed up to?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

just to stick my oar in, my brother got the same lark at the door where he didn't get the whole truth i.e. he moved from a 7mb package to an "up to 8mb" package however the sales man never stated that it was only on NGB exhanges and suddenly my brother had to upgrade to a more expensive package as he is tied into a contract.
    My brother in law got spun a line at the door that its only 20 euro a month. He isn't used to sales men so took it at face value and was never told that it was only for 3 months.

I have yet to hear of an eircom door to door salesman telling the complete truth and has put me off ever believing anything any salesman at the door says.
    To cap it off, Eircom CS washed their hands of it both times stating they are stuck in contracts and don't care about customer hapiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks Guys,

I will look into your posts and comment after.

Cheers,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pats22b

Thanks Ant - any information for me?

pats22b wrote: »
    My mother signed up with Eircom at the door (phone & Internet), and was assured free unlimited UK calls, as she calls her family in the UK daily. He said she could ring England "24 hours a day, 7 days a week" (under an hour duration). She already had this package with another provider, but the salesman told her she would have the same and promote Irish Jobs too.

Suddenly she was unable to call the UK on Monday. When this was queried - she was told there was a block on UK calls due to the high charges incurred.These calls were supposed to be free. She had not received a bill or any communication from Eircom. She has been hours on the phone to them to try to sort out this mess. After days of calling Eircom - it still appears that she will only have a maximum of 34 hours monthly on this, and the Unlimited package she was offered is no longer available since April 2nd.

Now she has no phone / Internet service at all. So I have also been hours on the phone (apparently her account is not cut-off - it's a coincidental fault).

The salesman's name and number was given to Eircom Customer Service and my mother was advised that she needs to ring the salesman herself to follow this up. Her contract is with Eircom not with the salesman. She is not getting what she was verbally guaranteed, and cannot get this as there is now no package offering this. Is she entitled to cancel this contract as it is not what she signed up to?

Thanks

Thank you pats22b,

Can you PM me with your eircom Account or phone number.

Kind regards,
    Ant

TheDriver wrote: »
    just to stick my oar in, my brother got the same lark at the door where he didn't get the whole truth i.e. he moved from a 7mb package to an "up to 8mb" package however the sales man never stated that it was only on NGB exhanges and suddenly my brother had to upgrade to a more expensive package as he is tied into a contract.
    My brother in law got spun a line at the door that its only 20 euro a month. He isn't used to sales men so took it at face value and was never told that it was only for 3 months.

I have yet to hear of an eircom door to door salesman telling the complete truth and has put me off ever believing anything any salesman at the door says.
    To cap it off, Eircom CS washed their hands of it both times stating they are stuck in contracts and don't care about customer hapiness.

Thanks for posting on the eircom forum on Boards.

If you brother in law still needs help with any eircom issue, just advise him to contact us or call directly into Customer Care - on 1901 freefone.

Regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hi Ant - do you have any update on this for me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Thanks

I worked for one of these crowds for a short while. We were essentially told to mislead potential customers, flower around the important conditions and, in many cases, lie about what they were getting.

If a customer had a question regarding the package we were to deliberately avoid answering it, and if it was specific enough you should prepare to be told that your 8 gb data allowance is "badically unlimited"

Writing from my phone, so I'll leave it there... but that's the general story. Problem lies in outsourcing the marketing to middlemen companies who don't really care about anything other than the initial sale.

Thanks for the reply vard - as it's all verbal there is really no comeback. It's disgraceful that companies encourage and reward lying to customers to tie them into a contract.

I guess nothing is going to be done on this then Ant as I haven't heard back from you since the PM 2 months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Same thing happened when we switched from eircom to vodafone, my dad was told one thing and we got another. Few strongly worded phonecalls later and threatening to switch 4 lines made them change their mind fairly quickly, though. Just ring a different provider and tell them to beat eircoms price, with any luck they will

Thanks

Hi pats22b,

Thanks for your post and apologies if you have not yet received confirmation of your Mother's call package. This was logged by our customer service, who spoke with the Account user /or holder on two occasions in the past two months.

This has resulted in a credit issued to you which covered the initial setup and interim delay in setting up this account.

I will PM you these details so that you will these to hand if you wish to compare your bills.

Essentially your mother does have the call package which includes -
    2000 mins (33.3 hours) of UK calls and NGB basic (bundle) at a cost of 54.88 per month, including VAT.

Although, your UK calls package is setup with 2000 mins free calls to all UK & Ireland landlines, there is a fair usage policy. Your mother so far has not exceeded this allowance or even close to approaching this limit.

This package has been applied since 27th of April and 4 bills have been issued and sent. The most recent bill had a second credit applied, which covers all outstanding charges.

As said, I will PM you details of the credits now.

If you need to speak with Customer Care directly - free call - 1901

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement
Advertisement