Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catholic church urges schoolchildren to back anti gay marriage petition

• 26-04-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wahey, its the weekly AH church thread, but they give such good ammo against themselves its hard to ignore.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/25/catholic-church-schools-gay-marriage
    The Roman Catholic church has written to every state-funded Catholic secondary school in England and Wales asking them to encourage pupils to sign a petition against gay marriage.

Students at one south London school were shown a presentation on religious opposition to government plans to let gay couples marry in civil ceremonies. Church leaders believe the proposal would reduce the significance of marriage.

The Catholic Education Service, which acts for Catholic bishops in England and Wales, contacted 385 secondary schools to highlight a letter read in parish churches last month, in which two archbishops told worshippers that Catholics have a "duty to do all we can to ensure that the true meaning of marriage is not lost for future generations".

tldr version: organisation of celibate men hellbent on telling others how to live.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

imagine having to live in a country full of catho...

oh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

With a former Nazi as their figure-head, no great shock there :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Ah in fairness the teachers can hardly be held responsible if the invisible cloud zombies who talk to them in their head told them to do it... you kinda have to then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

God told them too and you can't argue with God

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

England is different

They have plenty of State schools, those parents chose to select a Catholic school

And now you have a Catholic school with a Catholic agenda
    Well of course

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I thought baptism was how they were going to indoctrinate them.

Way to encourage bullying and intolerance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

krudler wrote: »
    ....... its hard to ignore..

It's incredibly easy actually. There's a lot of stuff going on in the world that upsets me greatly but I still manage to refrain from starting threads about them ad nauseum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I thought baptism was how they were going to indoctrinate them.

Way to encourage bullying and intolerance though.

and when you accuse the church of being bigots, which they clearly, openly are, they cry "persecution", awww, our precious hateful beliefs are in danger from rational people, noooo, save us jebus!

prinz wrote: »
    It's incredibly easy actually. There's a lot of stuff going on in the world that upsets me greatly but I still manage to refrain from starting threads about them ad nauseum.

when was the last time I started a thread about the church, usually someone beats me to it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Who cares what school children have to say on gay marriage.

Ban Gay marriage, ban straight marriage. Allow straight marriage, allow gay marriage. It's really that simple.

• Advertisement

Stick your petition up your @rse. People trying to shove a petition in my face often get a mental slap.... whether it'd be this one, or a petition to allow/ban/amend/support whatever.

Apart from that Roman Catholic schools should be able to explain the Roman Catholic Church's position on whatever. Parents sought them out for a reason in the first place, utterly stupid to get your knickers in a twist when someone then states the RC position to the students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The Catholic church is obsessed with sex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

like flies to a shít... :rolleyes:

well done OP! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Religious Bigotry at its best. It's bad enough they brainwash their children into believing about the bi-polar magic dude up in the sky and now they want them to do this.

In this day and age its getting worst. How do Gay folks feel about this kind of stuff, it must sicken them. A fag of a pope telling the next generation of kids to go against gay Marriage, man, this is totally sick, it really is. If I could push the abort button on Religion, I would have done it years ago to better man kind and us humans in general.

Insufferable Arse-Holes the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭beerbuddy

So what does any of this have to do with Athiesm ?
    Its just another anti religious ranting session.
    Prehaps the Christianity thread is more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

44leto wrote: »
    The Catholic church is obsessed with sex.

the only reason i'm a catholic right there - we got that s'hit in common

beerbuddy wrote: »

nothing, just another example of the church being bigots, and happily so. hope the 84% is paying attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ben Goldacre on Twitter made a good point. The Catholics never seem to go after adulterers. They pick on homosexuality and abortions because they can get away with picking on them.

It's true though. If the Catholic Church protested against everything that is just as sinful as gay marriage, they'd be protesting against 90% of their own followers for one reason or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Penn wrote: »
    Ben Goldacre on Twitter made a good point. The Catholics never seem to go after adulterers. They pick on homosexuality and abortions because they can get away with picking on them.
    So very true!
    Blessed are the marginalized for they shall make easy targets!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

mongdesade wrote: »

Maybe he should have picked up a gun and joined the resistance?

Or trek a few hundred kilometers and skip the border to Switzerland

What exactly are you expecting a young teenager to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

mikemac1 wrote: »

He might have learned something about the dangers of intolerance and scapegaoting for a start!:mad:

I love how they keep passing off the anti-gay thing as trying to preserve the "sanctity" of marriage, sorry but straight people have been fcuking that up for decades. the divorce rate has never been higher. I wonder if gay marriage ever comes in will the church be pro gay divorce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I say this as a Catholic (although only barely) - if someone presented me with a petition to support discrimination against my fellow citizens, I'd be telling them where to shove it. It's beyond ridiculous to present something like that to children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

mikemac1 wrote: »

God was on his side, so he shouldn't have had any trouble there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The Christian faith and Catholic church continues to be a negative force for humanity.

It is a waning power but I wish it would just go away quietly.

Ben Goldacre on Twitter made a good point. The Catholics never seem to go after adulterers. They pick on homosexuality and abortions because they can get away with picking on them..

The RCC has a lot to say on adultery. It just tend to grab the headlines in the same way, so that's why they 'never seem to go after adulterers'. Pope says adultery is wrong.......................*silence*.................... Pope says gay marriage is wrong *cue sh*tstorm* Simples.

The RCC has a lot to say on adultery. It just tend to grab the headlines in the same way, so that's why they 'never seem to go after adulterers'. Pope says adultery is wrong.......................*silence*.................... Pope says gay marriage is wrong *cue sh*tstorm* Simples.

Could you point out where a Catholic organisation has organised a petition or protest against adultery? Or about coveting your neighbours goods? Or about taking the Lord's name in vain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

This is unbelievable. Usual church interference. If gay people want to get married, let them. What's the harm with it exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Could you point out where a Catholic organisation has organised a petition or protest against adultery? Or about coveting your neighbours goods? Or about taking the Lord's name in vain?

Or even the graven images, while we're at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Mickey H wrote: »
    What's the harm with it exactly?

Friction rash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Wow that's true! Adultery even made into the 10 Commandments, but you never hear the church go on about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

And yet it is often asked "Where will we get our ethics from if we remove religious instruction from our schools":rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

beerbuddy wrote: »

What we have here is a male lead organisation seemingly obsessed with homosexuality above all other 'sins' coercing school children with little or no opinion (probably) on the matter to sign petitions against it...
    and you have a problem with people starting a thread about it.
    RRRRRRRRight.

I note in the original post I replied to you didn't make any specific reference to petitions or public protests though.

A quick google and you will find Catholic and Anglican bishops calling on the Ugandan government to reconsider it's move to decriminalise adultery.

Is the government considering legalising adultery, I think the boat sailed on that one here in the 70's. I am fairly sure some Catholic groups protested that at the time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/08/catholics-protest-blasphemous-play-paris

Catholics protesting... and it doesn't even mention gay marriage or abortion.

• Advertisement

I note in the original post I replied to you didn't make any specific reference to petitions or public protests though.

This whole thread is in response to a petition against gay marriage.

Here's some more protests & petitions though:
    http://www.christianpost.com/news/thousands-of-ny-christians-protest-gay-marriage-38686/
    http://onkneesforjesus.blogspot.com/2012/02/christians-protest-gay-marriage-in-new.html ('On knees for Jesus' - hahahahaha)
    http://www.christiandoctrine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=839:united-christian-protest-against-same-sex-marriageq&catid=106:society-and-culture&Itemid=478
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-12/british-catholics-urged-to-rally-against-gay-marriage/3882860

I'm not saying every protest by Christians/Catholics are against gay marriage, but it does seem to take a lot of their focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I wonder if we set up a super brawl with gays vs priests would a lot of the priests be confused as to which side to actually take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Personally I don't see the problem with this from a legal point of view as it's nothing to do with the church really. OR is this law to allow gay people to marry in a church? anyone wanna shed light on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

smash wrote: »
    I wonder if we set up a super brawl with gays vs priests would a lot of the priests be confused as to which side to actually take.

wait til the bishops would come out! could get really messy then-

"bless blast you my child"

"ohh thuper!"... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Nah, they'd instinctively start at the backside and work their way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Personally I don't see the problem with this from a legal point of view as it's nothing to do with the church really. OR is this law to allow gay people to marry in a church? anyone wanna shed light on that?

this is a big problem I have with the gay marraige issue. Personally I dont agree with any marraige , but the catholic church can do this if they want, by throwing money in the collection box these kids are agreeing anyway.

Even if gay marraige comes about, its not going to be the same way straight marraige is with regards to big church wedding etc. The churches, mosques, synagouges, chapels, etc... are still going to be closed off. Legalising gay marraige will just change the two words at the top of the form currently marked 'civil partnership'

Id be in favour of changing it all (straight / gay whatever) to 'civil partnership' and leave the 'marraige' end to the religions.

I'm not saying every protest by Christians/Catholics are against gay marriage, but it does seem to take a lot of their focus.

...because it's a topical issue going through parliaments now. Doesn't take a genius to tie the two together really.

Abortion was a really hot topic on the news and current affairs TV and radio programmes last week. Can't for the life of me figure out why. Either the people involved are obsessed with abortion........ or it had something to do with a certain private members bill before the Dáil. I think I'll go with them being obsessed with abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

xsiborg wrote: »
    wait til the bishops would come out! could get really messy then-

Especially if they ask for their ring to be kissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

By recruiting schoolchildren in England as instruments in its efforts to influence secular legislation and encouraging them to engage in party politics - possibly in direct opposition to their parents' views - the Catholic Church is merely adding another form of child abuse to its already regrettably broad repertoire of same.:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

what I want to know is wy would any one want to be involved with the catholic church, I reocn its about time schools were de-relgionefied, and if you want to send your kid to a biased racist religion well you can pay for it..

other wise send them to none religious schools..

Its disgraceful that in this country you have to make a decision for your own child in what religion you are.. Ie catholic you must be baptized in order to attend school.

makes me want to puke

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

mongdesade wrote: »

How petty can you get?

Celebrity Death Match, Elton John -v- the Pope. :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Catholic church outlines the Catholic position in regards to same sex marriage to people who attend Catholic schools.
    It is upto the individuals if they want to sign a petition or not.

I don't support same sex marriage which is only a recent concept, I will not be told by the media or liberals on how I should view marriage. I believe in traditional marriage, not because it is only between a man and a woman, because I don't believe marriage should be redefined to mean something totally different.

Anyway you still hear with heterosexual couples...it was a registry office job, which for some is not a real marriage in the sense it is not marriage in the eyes of God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Min wrote: »
    Catholic church outlines the Catholic position in regards to same sex marriage to people who attend Catholic schools.
    It is upto the individuals if they want to sign a petition or not.

I don't support same sex marriage which is only a recent concept, I will not be told by the media or liberals on how I should view marriage. I believe in traditional marriage, not because it is only between a man and a woman, because I don't believe marriage should be redefined to mean something totally different.

Anyway you still hear with heterosexual couples...it was a registry office job, which for some is not a real marriage in the sense it is not marriage in the eyes of God.

If you don't support same sex marriage, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But should people actively campaign to deny that right to others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

How petty can you get?

Very...try me ! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement