Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Help,

• 26-04-2012 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

In the experiment to investigate the variation of the resistance of a metallic conductor with tempreture, why is glycerol used instead of water? Cheers peeps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 franksarms

The answer is simply, Glycerol is a better thermal conductor than water is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

franksarms wrote: »
    The answer is simply, Glycerol is a better thermal conductor than water is!

Which in turn makes the experiment quicker in all I think. I don't think there'd be a problem with using water it just would take longer, if I'm not mistaken?

Ah yea im sure that the overall reason but as far as the marking scheme is concerned all you need to say is thats it a better conductor of heat, or that there is better Thermal Contact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Also, glycerol is a poor conductor of electricity so there can be no short circuit between the turns of the coil of wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 darol15

isn't glycerol used to maintain a steady temp during the experiment ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I thought it was that glycerol heats more evenly than water? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Physics ∩ Chemistry ∩ Biology = { glycerol }

To quote the 2010 Physics papar marking scheme " (Q) In this investigation, why is the thermistor usually immersed in oil rather than in water?
    (A) oil is a better conductor of heat / water contains air / (impure) water conducts electricity / good thermal contact.
    All problems solved!!

Advertisement