Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If he has a year left and nobody wants him or he turned down moves then I'd throw him in with the U21's too.

Malouda is a fairly high earner and at 32 hes basically sitting back, earning probably £4-5 million a year with little too no chance of playing and he doesnt really gice a toss, fairplay to him for getting that money but its a terrible attitude to have.

Heard from Chelsea fan that he runs some charity and he contributes major part of his wages to that charity. (supporting earthquake relief in Haiti). So he didn't want to take wagecut to stay or move. Something similar to Drogba it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Heard from Chelsea fan that he runs some charity and he contributes major part of his wages to that charity. (supporting earthquake relief in Haiti). So he didn't want to take wagecut to stay or move. Something similar to Drogba it seems.

So not (entirely) a Winston Bogarde MK II then....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fair play to him if true and shame on Chelsea for not paying off his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If that it the case I'm sure hes build up enough wealth to still contribute some of his fortune and still be a multi millionaire.

I'm sure now if he was on 90K a week and somebody offered him 50-60K he could still make a comfortable living an donate a portion of it to charity.

Fairplay to him if he is giving money to charity but I still dont like his attitude and posting of the picture and hes basically getting paid to do the bare minimum.

If the rags are to be believed, Cole has been offered a one year contract to stay at the club and hes reported to be thinking of walking out at the end of his current deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    Jaysus are the club looking to preen the high earners?

Old, high earners. ;)

Has to be done eventually I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I honestly think Cole is still the best LB in the world, easily the best in the prem imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Easily? maybe by default as there is not exactly a lot of competition :)

In the world is a different story though, not knocking him btw, he has been (not yet this season) a model of consistency for years and years at this stage and has been an excellent player for Chelsea and England, but the time does come to move players on too.

Who would you consider to be better out of interest? I liked the look of the Portugal LB during the euros, but he doesnt seem to start all the time for Madrid.

• Advertisement

justshane wrote: »
    Who would you consider to be better out of interest? I liked the look of the Portugal LB during the euros, but he doesnt seem to start all the time for Madrid.

Lahm, even though he prefers RB is still a very good LB when needed to be.
    Marcelo of Real is a good LB, offers excellent out ball on the left.
    Coentrao, who you were trying to think of is also a good LB.
    Jordi Alba has really progressed the last 18-24 months and got his move to Barca.

All of the above are very good attacking LB's and could lay claim to best Left full back in the world right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

More talk of Ashley this morning..
    Chelsea and England defender Ashley Cole is set for a move to Paris St-Germain.

The 31-year-old has one year left on his deal at Stamford Bridge and, in line with their club policy, has been offered just a single year extension.

Cole has not been impressed with the offer and is in line to move to the mega-rich Ligue 1 side either in January or at the end of the season.

The left back's less-than-impressed reaction to the one-year offer resulted in the club offering Ryan Bertrand a new five-year deal, as he looks set to be his long-term replacement.

Chelsea's strict policy of only offering players over 30 year-by-year deals is what lead to them losing Didier Drogba in the summer and it is set to cost them England's most capped full-back.

PSG will snap up Cole thanks to their Middle-Eastern billions and manager Carlo Ancelotti's close relationship with the 31-year-old from their time at Chelsea together before Andre Villas-Boas' reign.

And the French side are set to offer Cole a three-year-deal as they continue their drive to be the biggest team in French football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I don't mind Cole moving on - we're building for the future - but by hell we better have someone to replace him. Gav gives us a good list of top LBs, but who's genuinely/realistically available? Coentrao seems to be getting the nod ahead of Marcelo at RM and Ronaldo won't have liked Marcelo's comment that Iker Casillas deserved to win the Balon d’or ahead of Ronaldo.

Marcelo would be ideal, but would Mourinho sell him?

I still think Cole is right up there with the best of them. Alba is a great player watched him alot at Valencia, not sur ehow good at defending he is, a real 'modern day' full back that leaves a lot of space behind him, would prob get expose in the high tempo premier league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Ryan Bertrand.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I don't mind Cole moving on - we're building for the future - but by hell we better have someone to replace him. Gav gives us a good list of top LBs, but who's genuinely/realistically available? Coentrao seems to be getting the nod ahead of Marcelo at RM and Ronaldo won't have liked Marcelo's comment that Iker Casillas deserved to win the Balon d’or ahead of Ronaldo.

Marcelo would be ideal, but would Mourinho sell him?

LAst year Marcelo played more games then Coentrao, Mourhino fancies him more at LB but Coentrao has played wideleft for Madrid and worked in tandum with Marcelo.

We have very little chance of signing anyone on that list I reckon.

I'd love to see David Alaba in a Chelsea shirt, quick, good on the ball, strong hes an excellent prospect but Bayern would never sell him on the cheap.

Ryan Bertrand.

Class player and future but not sure about gauranteed LB at the moment, i like the way he's playing in sync with Ash on the left.

Class player and future but not sure about gauranteed LB at the moment, i like the way he's playing in sync with Ash on the left.
    He will learn this year and step in next season.

Only way to do it with a player like him.

Ryan Bertrand.
    He will learn this year and step in next season.

Only way to do it with a player like him.

Problem for Bertrand though is he's going to get compared to Ashley, which is very unfortunate for him because hes never going to be as good as him, he will however be a good dependable LB that if we want, will fill the spot for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

I honestly think Cole is still the best LB in the world, easily the best in the prem imo.

Marcelo get's the nod from me as the best LB

Ok peoples, just thinking, what do we do if Torres gets suspended and Danny is injured? Who do my fellow users suggest we play up top? Eden, Piazon, Bomford? Or do we change our formation and play with no stiker(Barca)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ok peoples, just thinking, what do we do if Torres gets suspended and Danny is injured? Who do my fellow users suggest we play up top? Eden, Piazon, Bomford? Or do we change our formation and play with no stiker(Barca)?

First thing we do is say another mass,
    after that...

Enter Piazon!

Good player but i don't see him as an out and out striker, more of a number 10 behind a main man.

Mata/Moses/Piazon/Bamford

Throw Luiz upfront for the lolz :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Throw Luiz upfront for the lolz :pac:

That's your solution for everything! :p

kessler182 wrote: »
    That's your solution for everything! :p

:o but....... mmmmmmmm.........shut up :o :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Whats Avram Grant doing these days lads? Always liked him and felt bad that he didnt get the job, I thought he did excellent. Havent heard of him in years, last I heard he was Pompey manager and that must have been 3 years ago.

Spain won 5-0, Torres was very wasteful from the highlights I seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

TheStook wrote: »
    Whats Avram Grant doing these days lads? Always liked him and felt bad that he didnt get the job, I thought he did excellent. Havent heard of him in years, last I heard he was Pompey manager and that must have been 3 years ago.

Sure he got west ham relegated after that. Think Torres finally got a goal that season against them.
    Google tells me he then managed Partizan, used his release clause in may so is free at the moment. But you could have done that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

MUSEIST wrote: »
    That performance tonight reminded me of AVB for some reason.
    Been away for a while. Caught the Atletico match. It's pretty obvious that our defence is a shambles. Atletico and other Iberian teams can play that passing game CFC want to play in their sleep. We're a long, long way off playing that style to that standard. But I think that's the way we're going over the next 18 months.

The season up to Christmas could be much tougher going than our good league start suggests. The temptation to grind out results using familiar techniques will be there. But that's not going to cut it in the UCL. And we need to commit to a new way of playing without reverting to type every time the pressure comes on.

The AVB comment might be a bit premature, but arguably RDM is in a very similar position. Neither had/have control over setting up the squad. If we're to believe the spin on AVB, he was supposed to work with the old guard through last season, and thus couldn't put an early stamp on the team. Over the summer, RDM has seen new signings coming in the door and many of the old squad heading out. But how much say has he had in the matter?

A couple of posters have noted some exits without replacements being lined up. Sounds to me like the number one priority is to clear out unwanted members of the squad and set up a compete refit. We still have major holes in many departments which need key players.

It's my sense that there could be a very active January transfer - in managers and players! Mourinho got his RM exit retaliation in first practically before a ball was kicked in La Liga. And Ronaldo is complaining about not being loved.

I'm not saying either is going to Chelsea. But if RM fall much further off Barcelona's pace, JM could find himself out the door before Christmas. And if that's the case we have two big managers in play with no homes to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

McDave wrote: »
    Been away for a while. Caught the Atletico match. It's pretty obvious that our defence is a shambles. Atletico and other Iberian teams can play that passing game CFC want to play in their sleep. We're a long, long way off playing that style to that standard. But I think that's the way we're going over the next 18 months.

The season up to Christmas could be much tougher going than our good league start suggests. The temptation to grind out results using familiar techniques will be there. But that's not going to cut it in the UCL. And we need to commit to a new way of playing without reverting to type every time the pressure comes on.

The AVB comment might be a bit premature, but arguably RDM is in a very similar position. Neither had/have control over setting up the squad. If we're to believe the spin on AVB, he was supposed to work with the old guard through last season, and thus couldn't put an early stamp on the team. Over the summer, RDM has seen new signings coming in the door and many of the old squad heading out. But how much say has he had in the matter?

A couple of posters have noted some exits without replacements being lined up. Sounds to me like the number one priority is to clear out unwanted members of the squad and set up a compete refit. We still have major holes in many departments which need key players.

It's my sense that there could be a very active January transfer - in managers and players! Mourinho got his RM exit retaliation in first practically before a ball was kicked in La Liga. And Ronaldo is complaining about not being loved.

I'm not saying either is going to Chelsea. But if RM fall much further off Barcelona's pace, JM could find himself out the door before Christmas. And if that's the case we have two big managers in play with no homes to go to.

I wouldnt worry too much about the super cup, the league is our priority with a good defence of our euro cup (get to at least the semi's I'd say)

Ive said it before but RDM is Romans headache! Not his style of manager, not sexy enough but he keeps winning so he cant sack him!

Very few major clubs would give complete transfer control to a manager, and Chelsea are no exception. Michael Emo has Romans ear and puts forward recommendations as well as working with Piet but Roman has the final say. RDM would have input but they are all committee signings

RDM came out and said there would be no big immediate change in style and at the moment mainly thanks to Hazard, we are winning in style and even has Torres scoring so Roman will be happy.

Dont trust the media on the Malouda etc, neither him or the club wanted to arrive at this place, and he was expected to go.

I wouldnt worry too much about the super cup, the league is our priority with a good defence of our euro cup (get to at least the semi's I'd say)

Ive said it before but RDM is Romans headache! Not his style of manager, not sexy enough but he keeps winning so he cant sack him!

Very few major clubs would give complete transfer control to a manager, and Chelsea are no exception. Michael Emo has Romans ear and puts forward recommendations as well as working with Piet but Roman has the final say. RDM would have input but they are all committee signings

RDM came out and said there would be no big immediate change in style and at the moment mainly thanks to Hazard, we are winning in style and even has Torres scoring so Roman will be happy.

Dont trust the media on the Malouda etc, neither him or the club wanted to arrive at this place, and he was expected to go.
    I'd agree with much of that. But some of the stronger managers have a leading and decisive say in some, if not all, of the squad. Mourinho brought some key Portuguese players to Chelsea (and subsequently to Madrid). Not only were they good players, but they gave him added weight in the dressing room and an easier passage for getting his message across. As well as extra ears to the ground.

It was cabal/committee buying (Shevchenko and Ballack) which undermined Mourinho and led directly to his exit.

With RDM, I think it's quite different. He's more of a hired gun than Mourinho was, or Guardiola would be. For instance, if Pep was to step up, he would have up to half a dozen key players earmarked for purchase around which he would build his approach.

I don't think the Supercup is a watershed issue. But there were major question marks around our defence in the opening league matches. The Supercup was our first big test against serious opposition (no disrespect to Newcastle), and our shortcomings were exposed right from the kick-off. Not only was the defence poor, but there was a chasm between midfield and attack.

Of course it's far, far too early to expect to see the fruits of transition. All I'm saying on this point is that many of our problems were clearly on display during that match. And, on the constructive side, buys like Hazard and Oscar are the first steps to realising Chelsea's own version of the Spanish or Portuguese passing game.

And Lampard brings up 25 international goals:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/08/roy-hodgson-frank-lampard-england-moldova

Not bad going! Looks like he's going to stay the course for a ton of senior England appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Panthro wrote: »

you'd have to get rid of Luiz first.

• Advertisement

Yessssss, get him in Roman!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

greendom wrote: »
    you'd have to get rid of Luiz first.

Why?
    Different positions, and our midfield is down to the bare minimum, especially if Romeu leaves on loan as is rumoured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Why?
    Different positions, and our midfield is down to the bare minimum, especially if Romeu leaves on loan as is rumoured

There is only enough room in any team for one hairdo like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Why?

Surely there's room for sideshow bob and sideshow Cecil?

looks like my joke sailed right over Sgt's head. That could never have happened with Luiz or Fellaini;)

SAmsung staying on board with us for the end of the 2014-15 season.
    Chelsea has announced that Samsung has elected to extend its shirt sponsorship deal with the European champion through to the end of the 2014-15 season.

The English Premier League giant confirmed the news in a brief statement which read: “Samsung have exercised their right to extend their deal which will see them remain as a premium partner of the club until the end of May 2015.”

Although Chelsea declined to comment on the financial terms of the extension, Bloomberg reports that it will remain at the same level as the existing deal while other reports state that it will rise to around £18 million a season.

Chelsea first partnered with Samsung in 2005 in a deal worth £11 million per season. This was upgraded to £15 million in 2010 and although the agreement with the Korean electronics giant ranks amongst the largest in English football, Chelsea still trails behind most of its major rivals in the shirt sponsorship stakes.

Manchester United in July announced that its new shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet will bring in a record-breaking US$559 million (£357 million) over the seven-year duration of the agreement, which commences in 2014-15.

Liverpool’s current deal with Standard Chartered is worth £80 million over four years. Manchester City’s groundbreaking sponsorship deal with Etihad Airways, which combines shirt sponsorship and stadium naming rights, was reportedly worth £400 million over 10 years when it was signed in 2011.

Go for him in January, he wont be UCL cup tied and if we make it out if the group would be a huge assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    Hmm so if we get Felliani and Falcao how much would both improve the team?

In different ways, we really really need a CM where as I think we're ok woth Torres and Sturridge at the moment and Lukaku on loan he'll be back fired up.

Depends, Roman could easily move for both in January but I cant see it unless were struck down by injuries.

• Advertisement

Worrying for Cech and us if he gets injured?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-keeper-petr-cech-has-elbow-1317674

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech is suffering from an elbow injury that will require surgery next summer.

European champions Chelsea are hoping to manage Cech's condition through the rest of the young season, and have convinced the Czech Republic to rest him for friendly internationals.

Czech coach Michal Bilek said: "An investigation showed a bit of ossification in his elbow, so they (Chelsea) are planning a surgery in England after the season.

"They have asked us if we could rest him in friendly fixtures. We have come to an agreement with coach Michal Bilek and decided to be on good terms with Chelsea.
    "We are going to grant their wish and rest him.
    "Petr cannot stretch the arm properly. If he has to stretch the elbow, it hurts him sometimes.

"There is nothing to be worried about, though. There is basically nothing that could make this problem worse.

"The only thing that could force an immediate surgery is if the intensity of pain would get much higher or if the elbow was blocked in some way."
    Cech will sit out Tuesday's friendly against Finland but Chelsea are already making plans for life after their No.1.

And Manchester City skipper Vincent Kompany believes his international team-mate Thibaut Courtois will soon be ready to take over from Cech.
    Courtois, 20, joined Chelsea last summer on a five-year contract from Genk in an £8million deal.

The shot-stopper was immediately loaned to Atletico Madrid and has returned again this term after helping them win the Europa League.
    But Belgium captain Kompany believes the starlet will be ready for regular Premier League action next term.

He was very impressed with Courtois against Wales in their opening 2-0 World Cup win when he superbly saved a Gareth Bale free-kick.
    Courtois got the nod to play in goal ahead of older compatriots Simon Mignolet of Sunderland and Torino's Jean Francois Gillet.

And Man City defender Kompany, 26, said: "There is no doubt he has the quality to be become Chelsea's No.1 and to be there for a long time.
    "I think he is making the right choice at the moment to choose a club where he is playing because Petr Cech is just a very good goalkeeper as well."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement