Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Suppose the dilemma for the manger now is to maybe rest players for the final and risk the league games. We're beginning to look knackered and we cannot afford any more injuries.
    We were woeful against Newcastle. I really thought we could beat them, especially at home.

It wont matter if we win the CL because we'll be in it next season anyway to defend it but it but we shouldn't be relying on a one off game to get into it next year. I think the Newcastle game was the final nail in the coffin, we wont get 3rd or 4th we need to win the CL to be in it next season i feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

bullpost wrote: »
    Suppose the dilemma for the manger now is to maybe rest players for the final and risk the league games. We're beginning to look knackered and we cannot afford any more injuries.

they will have a week after the last league game, we have to go for it and play our strongest side v pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

You should be able to beat Blackburn at home with a second string + Terry, Ivanovic, Ramires and Meireles anyway. I'd rest all the players due to start the CL final bar Cech in that game anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Blatter wrote: »

You should be able to beat Blackburn at home with a second string + Terry, Ivanovic, Ramires and Meireles anyway. I'd rest all the players due to start the CL final bar Cech in that game anyway.

I'm going over to it so it will be weird. Last day of the season but with a few out it will seem like a nothing game.

Id suspect we'll send a second string to Anfield which should see Torres play the next 2 games flanked by Sturridge and Malouda.

Ramires, Meireles, Romeu midfield.

Backline of Ferreira Ivanovic, JT, Bertrand and Cech.

A pretty decent second string for our last 2games but all eyes will be on the UCL Final.

One thing thats cost us this uear is consistency. We have not played consistent enough over long periods to warrant a title challenge or even a top 4 finish.

We only got left back in as Spurs won one game in eight not so long ago.

Its mixed feeling so far this season which might finish with the biggest prize in club football yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Something tells me Luiz might just be fit for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Not long home. Personally I'm gutted about the result yesterday but Liverpool didn't do enough in the first hour of the game so on that basis Chelsea deserved to win.
    Drogba is just sensational to do so little for so long in the game but to then slot the ball home like he did.
    I didn't agree with the Man of the match award.
    I thought Ivanovic was brilliant again.

amiable wrote: »
    Not long home. Personally I'm gutted about the result yesterday but Liverpool didn't do enough in the first hour of the game so on that basis Chelsea deserved to win.
    Drogba is just sensational to do so little for so long in the game but to then slot the ball home like he did.
    I didn't agree with the Man of the match award.
    I thought Ivanovic was brilliant again.

Ramires never stopped running either and will be a huge loss for the ucl final.

Mata was good for about 55,60 mins but it was hard to pick an out an out MoTM for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Mata deserved MOM cause he put himself about for so long, made a cracking assist and everyone else did sweet **** all. Carroll pushed him for it and that says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

they will have a week after the last league game, we have to go for it and play our strongest side v pool
    At this stage we can't risk any injuries whatsoever. I'd field a second string team plus those who can't play in Munich. Will still be a decent team.

• Advertisement

gavredking wrote: »
    Ramires never stopped running either and will be a huge loss for the ucl final.

Mata was good for about 55,60 mins but it was hard to pick an out an out MoTM for me.
    Mata seems to fade late in 2nd half. High work rate.

He has to start in Munich. But we need back up in case we go to extra time. Should probably rest him for last prem games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

McDave wrote: »
    At this stage we can't risk any injuries whatsoever. I'd field a second string team plus those who can't play in Munich. Will still be a decent team.
    I agree but I'd take qualification next year over the chance of winning this year which I put our chances at less than 50% to be honest, so if there is a chance of finishing fourth we have to go for it.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I agree but I'd take qualification next year over the chance of winning this year which I put our chances at less than 50% to be honest, so if there is a chance of finishing fourth we have to go for it.

I agree, I know everyones on a high, but I really think we are going to have to win the CL to get in next year and thats a huge ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I would prefer Drogba to leave on a CL glory high at the end of the season.
    We need to rebuild with younger players and he casts such a long shadow that its difficult to do that when he still expects to be top drog and start so many games.

Its time to cut the cord

He has been wonderful, but the next generation is waiting

The risk is that these youngsters waiting in the wings won't be good enough to deliver the results we've become accustomed to, keeping Drogs at least gives us a tactical option that I'd hate to see dissappear, no one scares the **** out of defenders like he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Mikel has really flourished under RDM but its a shame we havent seen more of Romeu.
    lovely skill and a peach of a ball from Lamps for Drog's goal.:)

We're playing PSG on our American tour. Reunion with Carlo :)

And Alex, forgot about him :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

personally, considering the f**k ups last weekend by the three above us, then until it's mathematically impossible for us to qualify then we should field our strongest team. Regardless of winning it, our main goal should be qualifying for next year's CL and putting all our eggs into the one basket of winning the final is a bit short sighted

NO TEAM whose stadium hosts the Champions League Final has EVER won it!

(Thats 3 teams that have hosted and lost.......so far! :eek:

Thats following on from no team has ever defended the CL and any team that loses the FIRST leg of the semi gets knocked out!

So 2 out of 3 so far! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

To get 3rd chelsea need arsenal to lose. newcastle and spurs to lose or draw.
    for 4th 2 teams to slip up on their final games.
    And that is only if they beat Liverpool.
    I think the best chance is winning the champions league as not hoping for others means to mess up.
    I like to get 4th place but risking players for the final i rather see a weaker side while resting Mata, lampard and drogba.

I didn't fancy arsenal against west brom and the way they bottled it against norwich gives me hope there, I think newcastle have a tough game at everton also and you never know what will happen at fulham for spurs so if we can get past the pool its a handy on paper if blackburn loose tonight for us (which we will most likley loose now).
    It ant over till it's over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Worried about Munich to be honest, yesterday Ivanovic and Ramires were class and we will REALLY miss them in Munich, I won't lament Terry much since he deserves to be out...

edit - and im pissed with the German papers, saying Chelsea don't have a chance - "they are 6th in the league and are missing their best players" >:( f*ck off !!

Qualification is important. But even by getting to the final we have earned a big, big pot of money. And at this stage we have to go for it. Chances like this are like hen's teeth.

With a bit of luck and astute squad management we can keep up a 90-minute performance that will put real pressure on Bayern. Luiz and Cole will have their hands full with Robben, Ribery and Lahm. And they'll need to pitch in against Gomez. However, by the same token that will leave a lot of scope for our midfield to do their thing. If they can hold onto possession they can dictate their terms too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0HcFOZtlM&feature=youtu.be

sorry if this has been posted already but I thaught it was good.

Its on CTV on wednesday. I'm guessing there'll be a stream, there was one handy enough for the first leg anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0HcFOZtlM&feature=youtu.be

sorry if this has been posted already but I thaught it was good.

That's a pretty nice vid, fair play to Lampard, hes class.

The Daily Mail are claiming that Cech will be rested against Liverpool.

Panthro wrote: »
    The Daily Mail are claiming that Cech will be rested against Liverpool.

Id rest him for the last 2games. The big man has been very good this year for us.

His save against Carroll was world class. Turnbull is a decent replacement to and should be up for the challenge of Anfield.

Id rest him for the last 2games. The big man has been very good this year for us.

His save against Carroll was world class. Turnbull is a decent replacement to and should be up for the challenge of Anfield.

But what about Henrique?!
    (Whipped from the Chelsea website)
    KEY STAT
    Liverpool have lost 10 of their 17 Barclays Premier League matches in 2012. Only relegated Wolves have lost more.

What do we make of tonights game at Anfield?

Do we rest loads and wait for the UCL final or do we still pursue 4th going into the last game of the season against a relegated Blackburn and play all the key players in what will be a tougher game then home to Blackburn?

• Advertisement

Match thread : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056633174

But theres F-All happening so far. :pac:

What do we make of tonights game at Anfield?

Do we rest loads and wait for the UCL final or do we still pursue 4th going into the last game of the season against a relegated Blackburn and play all the key players in what will be a tougher game then home to Blackburn?

We totally go for it, they can have a rest against Blackburn and even then they will have a whole week off!

Onee of my favourite images from the weekend.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsDePEdLPSWGzdPgbJKZaR2WMPhbph39zHg4XYjf3_AcvVsATyfQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Thats following on from no team has ever defended the CL and any team that loses the FIRST leg of the semi gets knocked out!

Excuse me?
    Season Country Winners Score Runners-up Country Venue Attendance
    1956–57 Spain Real Madrid 2–0 Fiorentina Italy Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, Madrid 124,000
    1964–65 Italy Inter Milan 1–0 Benfica Portugal San Siro, Milan 85,000
    1983–84 England Liverpool 1–1* Roma Italy Stadio Olimpico, Rome 69,693

I make that 2 home winners and 1 home loser!

jacool wrote: »
    Excuse me?
    Season Country Winners Score Runners-up Country Venue Attendance
    1956–57 Spain Real Madrid 2–0 Fiorentina Italy Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, Madrid 124,000
    1964–65 Italy Inter Milan 1–0 Benfica Portugal San Siro, Milan 85,000
    1983–84 England Liverpool 1–1* Roma Italy Stadio Olimpico, Rome 69,693

I make that 2 home winners and 1 home loser!

Champions league, son, not the European Cup of old ;)

Champions league, son, not the European Cup of old ;)

How many teams have got to the final of the UCL and it was their ground that was hosting Sgt?

Interesting stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Do you have a link for that? I thought no host team ever reached the final before?

JPA wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that? I thought no host team ever reached the final before?

Here I stole it off vital chelsea!

http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=529111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Dodgiest source ever!

If going on the Champions League format only it is wrong, no team has played a final at home.

• Advertisement

They can play it in my back garden so long as they go out and win the fuppin' thing!

Panthro wrote: »
    They can play it in my back garden so long as they go out and win the fuppin' thing!

I'd love to see your back garden if it can host UEFA certified matches. :pac:

JPA wrote: »
    Dodgiest source ever!

If going on the Champions League format only it is wrong, no team has played a final at home.

No team since the new inception, 91-92 has ever reached the final when its been at their stadium.

Bayern have made it a first.

That stat is way off.

The last time a team got to the final and hosted it in their own stadium was Rome in 84 and they lost to Liverpool.

Either way, we'll have our work cut out for us if we are to win it.

Aquila wrote: »
    Btw
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?&do=discuss&groupid=318&discussionid=&gmid=148386#gmessage148386
    An alternate match thread for tonights game,if anyone wants to use it :)

I'm still waiting for my Chelsea Tickets thread to be verified in the Tickets & Travel sub forum. :(

• Advertisement

:(
    I posted up one too,was going to enquire why it hasnt been approved,then i noticed id be banned from soccer for doing just that!

You could try PM'ing a soccer mod or Category Mod and see if they have time to approve it.

You coudl be waitinf otherwise.

Once its in palce for next season I wont mind too much.

I hear ya mate,but ya never know,maybe they would be afraid of it attracting too many trolls etc

I quite enjoy the trolls sometimes, they are usually hilariously misinformed and very stupid, especially of anything in football that happened more than 2 years ago!

I hear ya mate,but ya never know,maybe they would be afraid of it attracting too many trolls etc

I'd say wait until before the start of next season, dont think it would attract trolls.

There si a United, Liverpool ticket threads and usually its just genuine fans looking for info or tickets in those threads, any other discussion can be kept here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

I'm watching the match with a friend that doesn't normally watch football. He's laughing at the abuse Torres is getting from the home fans. Does anyone know where i can get a photo of the Chelsea supporters giving Torres the W@nker sign,from a few years ago?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement