Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Caveman1 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone can be that upset over the result as its not that bad, I think a lot of people are concerned, myself included, is the fact that RDM is playing players out of position and setting up the team too cautiously when on our bench we had a lot of creative players.

It also bugs me that he only used 2 subs and leaves it so late even making changes.

The squad is relatively new and its early days yet but IMO RDM is showing his inexperience, hopefully it doesnt cost us this season.

Well if RDM can show the Midas touch, or jammy lucky we had last year , this season, then we're quids in.

I dont see it happening at all though and I think we'll stuggle in games, especially against the big sides, whom he hasnt beaten in the EPL as Chelsea manager.

I hope I'm wrong and we finish at a canter inside the top 4, but I can only see RDM's fairytale ending in a nightmare at the end of the season and him getting the chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Well if RDM can show the Midas touch, or jammy lucky we had last year , this season, then we're quids in.

I dont see it happening at all though and I think we'll stuggle in games, especially against the big sides, whom he hasnt beaten in the EPL as Chelsea manager.

I hope I'm wrong and we finish at a canter inside the top 4, but I can only see RDM's fairytale ending in a nightmare at the end of the season and him getting the chop.

I think your spot on there.

I would obviously love for Robbie to stay on for years & bring lots more success to the club but I just cant see it happening.

As you've mentioned Gav, we always struggle against the big teams under RDM so its gonna be interesting to see how we'll fare out this season.

I got the following team from a Chelsea blogger on twitter, IMO its our best team we can put out

https://twitter.com/bluechampion/status/247269076769046528/photo/1/large

I would obviously love for Robbie to stay on for years & bring lots more success to the club but I just cant see it happening.

As you've mentioned Gav, we always struggle against the big teams under RDM so its gonna be interesting to see how we'll fare out this season.

I got the following team from a Chelsea blogger on twitter, IMO its our best team we can put out

https://twitter.com/bluechampion/status/247269076769046528/photo/1/large[/QUOTE]

I'm with ya, I dont want him to get sacked, at the least RDM deserves to see out the season but his tactics and selections have to be better when playing certain teams.

i mean there was no point playing the 2 CM's against QPR, should have whipped Lamps or Mikel and stuck Danny up top for the last few minutes with Torres.

It was clear as day that QPR would have taken a draw from the outset and it seemed we were content on not getting beating, we should really be pushing to win at all costs with our attacking options.

Can't open the picture in work, let me guess though :

Cech
    Azp Luiz Terry Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Mata Oscar Hazard
    Torres

Its hard to pick the CM, as we will need Mikel for cover in some games but other games require an attacking threat and high energy and Lamps/Ramires combination would work well in there.

https://twitter.com/bluechampion/status/247269076769046528/photo/1/large[/QUOTE]

I'm with ya, I dont want him to get sacked, at the least RDM deserves to see out the season but his tactics and selections have to be better when playing certain teams.

i mean there was no point playing the 2 CM's against QPR, should have whipped Lamps or Mikel and stuck Danny up top for the last few minutes with Torres.

It was clear as day that QPR would have taken a draw from the outset and it seemed we were content on not getting beating, we should really be pushing to win at all costs with our attacking options.

Can't open the picture in work, let me guess though :

Cech
    Azp Luiz Terry Cole
    Ramires Lamps
    Mata Oscar Hazard
    Torres

Its hard to pick the CM, as we will need Mikel for cover in some games but other games require an attacking threat and high energy and Lamps/Ramires combination would work well in there.

The team is

--Cech---

Ivanovic Luiz Terry Cole

- Mikel-

Ramires----Oscar

--Mata-- ---- Hazard---

- -- Torres----

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The team is

--Cech---

Ivanovic Luiz Terry Cole

- Mikel-

Ramires----Oscar

--Mata-- ---- Hazard---

- -- Torres----

No way will Oscar start and no way he will take the Frank position

It will be Frank starting there and your guess for who gets the right wing position (Ramires or Moses)

The team is

--Cech---

Ivanovic Luiz Terry Cole

- Mikel-

Ramires----Oscar

--Mata-- ---- Hazard---

- -- Torres----

I'm going to be tearing my hair out alot this season it seems. :pac:

Mikel has added the odd forey into opposition half this seasona nd hes even shotting but the guy is just as likely to make a mistake, his back pass to Zamora under no pressure from a QPR player was just lack of concentration that could have cost us.

Yes we're playing better football and keeping the ball better but we're keeping it too long and taking too many touches without releasing and the runs that are been made arent been picked out often enough.

I have to agree with Sgt. I dont think Frank will be dropped and he likes Mikel in CM and he loves Ramires tracking back and helping out.

So those 3 will probably start a good percentage of the " big " games this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Chelsea's problem this year could be racking up a decent amount of goals.

A lot of pressure of Torres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I said before the match id be disapointed with any thing other than a win and here i am pee'd off again. Terrible starting 11 terrible subs. Why the hell did we start Terry and Cole when both supposidly had just returned from injuries and we had to watch JT struggle when we play Juve on Wednsday.

We rested Mata and played Ramires a box to box midfielder as our RM when we have Moses on the bench, that one is fair enough but then why play Bertrand a LB as our LM? We had no attacking treath for Torres who IMO was one play who played his guts out and did not get any service.

So thats four players that were either played out of position or should not have been played. If you play with one lone striker you have to have attacking treath coming from other players or else you will not score which is what happened. Fair enough Hazard should have scored two and got us a peno but should have would have didnt.

As for subs why the hell did we not take off Bertrand and Play Sturridge up front with Torres? We showed way too much Italian influence on this game from Formation and Starting players! 2 points lost!!

Chelsea's problem this year could be racking up a decent amount of goals.

A lot of pressure of Torres

Not really, Lampard will reach double figures, again.

Sturridge will get close to it, Hazard should get double figures and Torres, if he gets chances will get there too.

Thats 4 players who should between get at elast 40 goals, add Ivanovic, Ramires and Mata and that should pop upto at least 55-60 between 7 players.

If anyone of them has an excellent run that could easily top 70 but it all depends on what RDM wants them to do, keeo the ball and probe or release it early and get the movement and runs and off the ball stuff spot on, I'd say play the latter as we have players that can do all that and find a like minded player but playing with too much caution has to disappear.

• Advertisement

what a day wrote: »
    I said before the match id be disapointed with any thing other than a win and here i am pee'd off again. Terrible starting 11 terrible subs. Why the hell did we start Terry and Cole when both supposidly had just returned from injuries and we had to watch JT struggle when we play Juve on Wednsday.

We rested Mata and played Ramires a box to box midfielder as our RM when we have Moses on the bench, that one is fair enough but then why play Bertrand a LB as our LM? We had no attacking treath for Torres who IMO was one play who played his guts out and did not get any service.

So thats four players that were either played out of position or should not have been played. If you play with one lone striker you have to have attacking treath coming from other players or else you will not score which is what happened. Fair enough Hazard should have scored two and got us a peno but should have would have didnt.

As for subs why the hell did we not take off Bertrand and Play Sturridge up front with Torres? We showed way too much Italian influence on this game from Formation and Starting players! 2 points lost!!

Well done, you're the new monkey. :pac:

Agreed though, was to negative and cautious and QPR who played better IMO, were allowed to play better and had 2 decent chances themselves.

Still though, had Hazard won his penalty against SWP, which IMO, was a penalty the game could have easily went a different way.

Sturridge will get close to it, Hazard should get double figures and Torres, if he gets chances will get there too.

Thats 4 players who should between get at elast 40 goals, add Ivanovic, Ramires and Mata and that should pop upto at least 55-60 between 7 players.

If anyone of them has an excellent run that could easily top 70 but it all depends on what RDM wants them to do, keeo the ball and probe or release it early and get the movement and runs and off the ball stuff spot on, I'd say play the latter as we have players that can do all that and find a like minded player but playing with too much caution has to disappear.

Sorry, I should specify I mean just in the league.

I agree that Torres, Lampard and Hazard will likely reach double figures. I'd fancy Torres for 15-20 goals, Lampard for 10-12 and Hazard 10-15 but I struggle to see where there will be another significant amount.

I don't think there is a player there to really rack up a decent amount (i.e. 25-30) on his own unless Torres can really start firing (I think he could by the way!)

Compare it to City who will have Tevez (I imagine close to 20 goals), Aguero (same) and Balotelli and Dzeko good for another 8-10 each. Never mind what they can produce from midfield.

United not far behind that tally either if Rooney and Van Persie can 1. Click and 2. Stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its early days. No team has really found their groove yet.

If you look at whats happening with Jose at Real right now we're not too bad.

I expect RDM will tinker a bit before his team starts to select itself.

Its obvious as well that right now we struggle without Mata.
    Well done, you're the new monkey. :pac:

Agreed though, was to negative and cautious and QPR who played better IMO, were allowed to play better and had 2 decent chances themselves.

Still though, had Hazard won his penalty against SWP, which IMO, was a penalty the game could have easily went a different way.

Sorry, I should specify I mean just in the league.

I agree that Torres, Lampard and Hazard will likely reach double figures. I'd fancy Torres for 15-20 goals, Lampard for 10-12 and Hazard 10-15 but I struggle to see where there will be another significant amount.

I don't think there is a player there to really rack up a decent amount (i.e. 25-30) on his own unless Torres can really start firing (I think he could by the way!)

Compare it to City who will have Tevez (I imagine close to 20 goals), Aguero (same) and Balotelli and Dzeko good for another 8-10 each. Never mind what they can produce from midfield.

United not far behind that tally either if Rooney and Van Persie can 1. Click and 2. Stay fit.

True, we need a guy to get 20 + league goals and another to be close to 20, well that would be the ideal situation.

Anyone loking to win the league will be pushing 80-90 goals.

Last year we managed 65, if we want to finish inside the top 4 then 65-75 is the target.

Spurs got 66, Arsenal got 74 while Utd and City got 89 & 93.

For the record I dont expect us to win or challenge all the way for the league but I want us to be comfortable inside the top 4 this season and get everyone ready for next season.

True, we need a guy to get 20 + league goals and another to be close to 20, well that would be the ideal situation.

Anyone loking to win the league will be pushing 80-90 goals.

Last year we managed 65, if we want to finish inside the top 4 then 65-75 is the target.

Spurs got 66, Arsenal got 74 while Utd and City got 89 & 93.

For the record I dont expect us to win or challenge all the way for the league but I want us to be comfortable inside the top 4 this season and get everyone ready for next season.

Aye. You never know I suppose. Looks as if Hazard could supply goals all round to be honest and I can't help but wonder if Torres is due to explode into goalscoring form or will we forever be just waiting for something that will never happen ala Owen.

bullpost wrote: »
    Its early days. No team has really found their groove yet.

If you look at whats happening with Jose at Real right now we're not too bad.

I expect RDM will tinker a bit before his team starts to select itself.

Its obvious as well that right now we struggle without Mata.

We shouldnt be struggling though with the players we have though, we havent faced a stiff test in the EPL yet but yet we have struggled in patches against all the teams we've played.

The only thing hiding it is the 10 points from 12, Mata is integral to our game but we've spent a smal fortune in the Summer to make sure we're not a one man team and we have to start proving that when we paly Arsenal, Utd & spurs soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Be interested to know what Chelsea fans' expectations are of the game on Wednesday night against Juventus.

Btw, anyone know if this is on terrestrial TV (ITV, TV3) as I see RTE2 will be showing Man Utd. :rolleyes:

Aye. You never know I suppose. Looks as if Hazard could supply goals all round to be honest and I can't help but wonder if Torres is due to explode into goalscoring form or will we forever be just waiting for something that will never happen ala Owen.

If he cant score with Mata/Hazard supplying him balls then he wont score at all.

But the system has to bes etup for quick balls and willing runners, Torres isnt a static striker and playing slow will hamper and frustate him.

Be interested to know what Chelsea fans' expectations are of the game on Wednesday night against Juventus.

Btw, anyone know if this is on terrestrial TV (ITV, TV3) as I see RTE2 will be showing Man Utd. :rolleyes:

Its on Sky only I think.

I'd take a draw right now, anything but a lose in your first home game, also Juventus are a very good side so it will be difficult.

If he cant score with Mata/Hazard supplying him balls then he wont score at all.

But the system has to bes etup for quick balls and willing runners, Torres isnt a static striker and playing slow will hamper and frustate him.

:p True. I'd you and myself would score with that service. Ah early days yet, who knows what will happen.

RDM said in an interview that Danny will get his chance in a fair few games as centre forward, so Torres watch out!

But I still think\kinda know we will be backing another striker in January

• Advertisement

Thanks for the new title Gav! :(

We were way too negative, why play with two deep midfeilders for the whole game? We have a better squad and we didn not utilize the whole squad with and eye on the Champions league. Its clear Robbie wants to finish in the top four and played his strongest 11 but that totally back fired especially if Terry is out for the Juventus game.

Our Starting 11 should have been

Torres

--Hazard
    Oscar
    Ramires--

Lampard
    Mikel

Bertrand
    Cahill
    Luiz
    Ivanovic

Cech

RDM said in an interview that Danny will get his chance in a fair few games as centre forward, so Torres watch out!

But I still think\kinda know we will be backing another striker in January

Well if Danny or Torres arent firing in goals, Danny could be sold and just splash out on Falcao, sell Torres in the summer and keep Lukaku as second choice.

Sorted. :p

Thanks for the new title Gav! :(

We were way too negative, why play with two deep midfeilders for the whole game? We have a better squad and we didn not utilize the whole squad with and eye on the Champions league. Its clear Robbie wants to finish in the top four and played his strongest 11 but that totally back fired especially if Terry is out for the Juventus game.

Our Starting 11 should have been

Torres

--Hazard
    Oscar
    Ramires--

Lampard
    Mikel

Bertrand
    Cahill
    Luiz
    Ivanovic

Cech

I would have played Moses wide right and drop Mikel for Ramries, no need for Mikel when QPR werent going to be playing all that much football inside the centre, all their threat was with the wide men.

Still though, we're unbeaten. :pac:

Well if Danny or Torres arent firing in goals, Danny could be sold and just splash out on Falcao, sell Torres in the summer and keep Lukaku as second choice.

Sorted. :p

I can well see that happening but our Manager may have an influence on who we sign if Robbie is not in charge next summer.
    I wish Robbie all the best as much as any other Blues fan but im just being realistic. Im sure Roman is keeping close tabs on Guardiola.

Any way Robbie got his tactics wrong for the QPR game so lets move on to the Juve game on Wednsday. Will Terry play that game too? Id imagine we will start with the same line up except Mata will be in for Bertrand

Torres

--Hazard
    Mata
    Ramires--

Lampard
    Mikel

Cole
    Terry
    Luiz
    Ivan

Cech

Watched Juve vs. Genoa at the weekend, and they look very confident. Really piled on the pressure after they went behind and they look particularly strong in the center.

Chelsea will have to be at their best but it should be a right game!

BTW is it just me or does any one else think we have to mix it up a bit regarding formation? We seem to play a solid 4-2-3-1 formation every game but we should be playing 2 formations IMO and have all the players comfortable to play in the formations at multibale roles.

I like the current formation but i do prefere a 4-3-3 and i think we should play it more often accept for tight games against tough oponants. Id like to see a bit of playing about with team selection in the cup games. Some thing like

Torres
    --Moses
    Sturridge--
    Hazard
    Mata

Oriol
    Cole
    Ceasar
    Cahill
    Luiz

Cech

I can well see that happening but our Manager may have an influence on who we sign if Robbie is not in charge next summer.
    I wish Robbie all the best as much as any other Blues fan but im just being realistic. Im sure Roman is keeping close tabs on Guardiola.

Any way Robbie got his tactics wrong for the QPR game so lets move on to the Juve game on Wednsday. Will Terry play that game too? Id imagine we will start with the same line up except Mata will be in for Bertrand

Torres

--Hazard
    Mata
    Ramires--

Lampard
    Mikel

Cole
    Terry
    Luiz
    Ivan

Cech

Dont be surprised if we kept the exact same team that played against QPR for the Juventus game.

My feeling on the team is that he wanted to try it out before the Juventus game.

Bertie and Rambo will provide excellent cover for the LB & RB and if we get a chance to break then Hazard & Torres will punish them.

I wouldnt be shocked if we seen the exact same starting XI from the qPR game play against Juventus...actually, is JT suspended for this game for his red against Barca?

BTW is it just me or does any one else think we have to mix it up a bit regarding formation? We seem to play a solid 4-2-3-1 formation every game but we should be playing 2 formations IMO and have all the players comfortable to play in the formations at multibale roles.

I like the current formation but i do prefere a 4-3-3 and i think we should play it more often accept for tight games against tough oponants. Id like to see a bit of playing about with team selection in the cup games. Some thing like

Torres
    --Moses
    Sturridge--
    Hazard
    Mata

Oriol
    Cole
    Ceasar
    Cahill
    Luiz

Cech

That formation will cost us big time, its shoe horning too many attacking players into positions for the sake of it.

Moses and Danny wont do the tracking back they should and Mata and Hazard arent exactly great in the tackle either.

This formation would frely on us keeping the ball like Barcelona and dominating possesion and grounding teams down, I'd also change Danny for Marin.

Danny is too greedy and less likely to release the ball. Our front 5 is excellent but if we're caught on the break it will be like watching the old Real Madrid sides of the 00's ship bucket loads and hope to score one more then the opposition.

Itsa very dangerous system but it could work but I cant see our current manager or coaching staff pushing for it at the moment.

We're struggling to find our rhythm in a 4-2-3-1 so trying to implement a new formation in conjuction with a system we're struggling with coudl cause problems.

That formation will cost us big time, its shoe horning too many attacking players into positions for the sake of it.

Moses and Danny wont do the tracking back they should and Mata and Hazard arent exactly great in the tackle either.

This formation would frely on us keeping the ball like Barcelona and dominating possesion and grounding teams down, I'd also change Danny for Marin.

Danny is too greedy and less likely to release the ball. Our front 5 is excellent but if we're caught on the break it will be like watching the old Real Madrid sides of the 00's ship bucket loads and hope to score one more then the opposition.

Itsa very dangerous system but it could work but I cant see our current manager or coaching staff pushing for it at the moment.

We're struggling to find our rhythm in a 4-2-3-1 so trying to implement a new formation in conjuction with a system we're struggling with coudl cause problems.

I was actually forgetting about Marin!!:pac:

Id agree with you regarding Sturridge and Marin but i really do think we have to have a play B. Fair enough we are struggling with the current formation and it takes time to get to grips with it but in the long run we do need to be able to change things. As regards to players not tracking back IMO thats the managers fault. If the manager cannot get a player to do a job then the manager is not good enough. Each player has to play as part of a team and do the job needed regardless of position.

Mata and Hazard play through the middle as is so i would not worry about their taclkling, in fact Mata and Hazard does alot of dirty work off the ball too as does Moses.

I think its a perfect opertunity to try some thing new in the cup games and consentrait on the League and Champion league. We have to bleed some players into the squad namely Azpilicueta Oriol Bertrand Sturridge Moses Marin and Cahill.

Its also worth noting we're only 4 games into the new season and as ya mentioned we still ahve players to come into the squad, Azp and Moses who will add an extra dimension.

I think give it 10 games and see how we are doing, if we have 22 points I'll be happy.

An average of 2.0 points a games over a 38 game season, 76 points, would see us finish 3rd on last seasons points totals.

I'd take that right now if I'm honest.

• Advertisement

Its also worth noting we're only 4 games into the new season and as ya mentioned we still ahve players to come into the squad, Azp and Moses who will add an extra dimension.

I think give it 10 games and see how we are doing, if we have 22 points I'll be happy.

An average of 2.0 points a games over a 38 game season, 76 points, would see us finish 3rd on last seasons points totals.

I'd take that right now if I'm honest.

Not at all 1st or 2nd will do me and a decent run in CL :)

I really think Lampard should be dropped, he was merely a passenger in the team for the QPR game, the guys an absolute legend and will always pop up with important goals but I feel he should be used more as an impact sub, or even start him and dont be afraid to sub him after 60 mins or so.

IIRC wasnt he dropped for the Newcastle game? We played some of our best football that day IMO.

I really think Lampard should be dropped, he was merely a passenger in the team for the QPR game, the guys an absolute legend and will always pop up with important goals but I feel he should be used more as an impact sub, or even start him and dont be afraid to sub him after 60 mins or so.

IIRC wasnt he dropped for the Newcastle game? We played some of our best football that day IMO.

He could have come off against QPR thats for sure. Gave the ball away a few times and offered us little. Would have been nice to see Ramires slot back there beside Mikel or even Oriol come on. To be the best we have to be ruthless and drop a player with out even bating an eye lid, whoever ther player!

He could have come off against QPR thats for sure. Gave the ball away a few times and offered us little. Would have been nice to see Ramires slot back there beside Mikel or even Oriol come on. To be the best we have to be ruthless and drop a player with out even bating an eye lid, whoever ther player!

Exactly and I think with Lampard this season he understands he's going to have a smaller part to play. I honestly think bar Man City we've the strongest squad in the PL and we're also very versatile. Lets hope it gets fully utilized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Lampard will be up against it on Wednesday with the likes of Pirlo, Vidal, Asamoah, Marchisio.

Prediction: Chelsea 1-2 Juve.

Exactly and I think with Lampard this season he understands he's going to have a smaller part to play. I honestly think bar Man City we've the strongest squad in the PL and we're also very versatile. Lets hope it gets fully utilized.

We have the strongest midifeld anyway, City would take strongest defence, Utd strongest attack force and Spurs best GK's.

Just my opinion though.

Lampard will be up against it on Wednesday with the likes of Pirlo, Vidal, Asamoah, Marchisio.

Prediction: Chelsea 1-2 Juve.

4 on 1? :eek:

We're screwed. :pac:

I have to agree Caveman, we do have the strongest quad bar Man City. ManUtd have the best Manager and we are some were in between.

Man City are miles ahead of us in terms of players i think but we still have more than enough to compete. We have some very gifted players and a versitile squad which are a good mix to form an amazing team. I think we could become an awsome team with most of the players we have but there is always room for improvement.

Rather then us going out and buying id rather try out some players in different positions.

Ramires in Lampards spot and also Luiz and Oriol Romeu. All three players could offer us some thing different that Lampard does not.

Id also like to try Oscar out in a midfield beside Mata and try Hazard out on the wing (left or right). I think all these players and positions could offer us some thing different that the oposition are not expecting and will make our formation and starting line up harder to predict.

Some thing along the lines of...

--Marin
    Torres
    Hazard--

Oscar
    Mata

Luiz

Cole
    Terry
    Cahill
    Ceasar

Cech

Or

Torres

---Hazard
    Oscar
    Mata---

Ramires
    Mikel

Cole
    Cahill
    Luiz
    Ceasar

Cech

We have the strongest midifeld anyway, City would take strongest defence, Utd strongest attack force and Spurs best GK's.

Just my opinion though.

I think we have as good a defence as any one in the PL but our midfield is not as strong as Man Citys and our attack is weak compared to both Citys and Utds.

• Advertisement

I dont know, I think our midfield is better, marginally.
    Citys best 2-2 formation.

Nasri Silva
    Yaya J.Garcia
    Against 2-3

Mata Hazard Moses
    Ramires Lamps

I would love Yaya Toure though, that guy is just excellent, has it all really.

I think we have as good a defence as any one in the PL but our midfield is not as strong as Man Citys and our attack is weak compared to both Citys and Utds.

We are only missing Raul from last season so we should still be ok?

Biggest miss for me is game changer Drogba. You couldnt count on Torres coming on and changing things in the same way

Biggest miss for me is game changer Drogba. You couldnt count on Torres coming on and changing things in the same way

We'll never have another Drogba for things like that.

Sure what did we have between the 2 semi final legs and final of the UCL, 5 shots and we scored 4 goals?

2 from Drogba and the header in the UCL is forever etched in my memory, how he socred from it I'll never know, running across goal and beating his marker and Neuer from a good 12 yards. Unreal stuff.

Drogba is undoubtedly every Chelsea fans hero and a club legend,but it was obvious from all the world class strikers that we've brought in over the years that while Drogba is in the team nobody else was able to get a chance.
    The thing is though Drogba could always back up his selection with goals, I think any striker at Chelsea will now struggle to get a game ahead of Torres even though he's really shown us nothing special since his arrival.

I look forward to seeing how Danny does up front when he gets his chance, if he hits a bit of form Torres could find himself in serious trouble.

Torres has showed glimpses though, that goal against Newcastle, one against United, good finish against West Ham and a few good displays.

Hes also been unlucky too, getting sent off against Swansea, missing the open goal against Utd, hitting the bar a few times, most notably against Liverpool at Anfield when we were 2-0 then at the time.

If luck and a bit of form goes his way he'll be our number 9 for a few seasons but in our modern era no one will replace Didier, one of our best big game players and an exceptionally talented footballer, you could lump it to him and he could bring others in or he could beat ya with pace and skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Aquila wrote: »
    Do you think Roman will go out and buy in the January window?

Depends on our siuation come 31st December.

If we're struggling in the EPL and we're still in the UCL he may consider it, if we're out of the UCL and struggling in the EPL i think he will, if everything is rosey then I cant see him spending money until the summer.

January transfers very rarely work out anyway so keep the money until the Summer and if RDM cant do thing with the current squad then I think he'll be sacked regardless and replaced.

We have certainly improved our midfield since last season but we are still not as strong as city in midifield. I was the one harpin on all summer about offloading Raul Malouda Yossi and Essien, we needed to shed all these players and move on.

I think we can match Citys Silva and Nasri with Mata and Hazard but Id rather have Garcia and Yaya over Mikel. Ramires is a quality player to have and id prefere him to Milner or Barry. Lamps is just Lamps legend and one of the best PL ever players but he is getting on like it or not. I just think City have the edge over our midfield because of Yaya and Garcia. Both in my opinion are in the top 5 Defensive mids in the league, other than Tiote and Fellaini they are the best.

This is one of the areas we could improve on and id love to see us sign either one of Tiote or Fellaini but Fellaini most of all. Another areas are a striker better GK and Ceasar Azpilicueta has to show what he can offer us.

We have certainly improved our midfield since last season but we are still not as strong as city in midifield. I was the one harpin on all summer about offloading Raul Malouda Yossi and Essien, we needed to shed all these players and move on.

I think we can match Citys Silva and Nasri with Mata and Hazard but Id rather have Garcia and Yaya over Mikel. Ramires is a quality player to have and id prefere him to Milner or Barry. Lamps is just Lamps legend and one of the best PL ever players but he is getting on like it or not. I just think City have the edge over our midfield because of Yaya and Garcia. Both in my opinion are in the top 5 Defensive mids in the league, other than Tiote and Fellaini they are the best.

This is one of the areas we could improve on and id love to see us sign either one of Tiote or Fellaini but Fellaini most of all. Another areas are a striker better GK and Ceasar Azpilicueta has to show what he can offer us.

You want a better GK? :eek: Cech was arguably one of our best performers in the whole campaign last year, he was easily our best in the UCL.

Thing is, you can get by in the league with an average enough midfield as long as it is sandwiched between a class defence/goalkeeper and attack, which at Chelsea it is. I would also argue that Chelsea have an excellent midfield, but lack a decent structure to play in.

Saying that, the loss of Drogba has weakened the equation.

Totally agree Griffen. Im not saying we have a bad squad. We have a really really good squad im just saying there are ways to improve it. As for getting away with having an decent midfield i think we have a really good one but as you say we dont have a structure that suits our players at the moment. Notably or defensive midfeilders, we lack the Essien of old or Makalele.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement