Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ronsgonawin

what a day wrote: »
    BTW is it just me or does any one else think we have to mix it up a bit regarding formation? We seem to play a solid 4-2-3-1 formation every game but we should be playing 2 formations IMO and have all the players comfortable to play in the formations at multibale roles.

I like the current formation but i do prefere a 4-3-3 and i think we should play it more often accept for tight games against tough oponants. Id like to see a bit of playing about with team selection in the cup games. Some thing like

Torres
    --Moses
    Sturridge--
    Hazard
    Mata

Oriol
    Cole
    Ceasar
    Cahill
    Luiz

Cech

I think your right and it should depend on the opponent. Against QPR we should have started 4-3-3 especially with Mata out, and QPR only having 2 in midfield.

I dont know if anyone noticed but when mosses came on and went to the right hand side ramires dropped back to make a 3 in midfield and I dont think it was a coincidence that he started to play better and fead mosses and few times.

The only problem I see with the 4-3-3 for chelsea at the minute is mikel. He is not good enough defensively as could be seen when he played the ball back to cech (when chelsea where playing 3 in the middle ) and his passing is dreadful.

I do also think Oscar could be great in a 3 man mid, maybe taking lampards role. I think I read somewhere ( could have been here) that that is where Newton see's him playing in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I think your right and it should depend on the opponent. Against QPR we should have started 4-3-3 especially with Mata out, and QPR only having 2 in midfield.

I dont know if anyone noticed but when mosses came on and went to the right hand side ramires dropped back to make a 3 in midfield and I dont think it was a coincidence that he started to play better and fead mosses and few times.

The only problem I see with the 4-3-3 for chelsea at the minute is mikel. He is not good enough defensively as could be seen when he played the ball back to cech (when chelsea where playing 3 in the middle ) and his passing is dreadful.

I do also think Oscar could be great in a 3 man mid, maybe taking lampards role. I think I read somewhere ( could have been here) that that is where Newton see's him playing in the future.
    Err you know that Mikel has one of the highest completed passing stats dont you?
    Admittedly because he only passes about 10 yards, but he's not there to do long raking defence splitting passes. He's there to break up and play a pass for us to go on the attack, and he is pretty good at that

This is too long to copy and paste, but the guys a good un!

http://www.eplindex.co.uk/16829/chelsea-forget-john-obi-mikel.html

Oh and we didnt start 4-3-3, we started as always 4-2-3-1 and QPR lined up as 4-4-2
    http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2919725

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Your right ron, we pushed Moses further forward but by the time he came on we did not look like we could keep the ball for a full minute. If we are to play the attacking football Roman wants we have to have the ball to attack and we never look to retain possesion, alway giving sloppy passes lack of concentration lack of movement.

Your Spot on too with regards to Mikel, i like Mikel and i always have. People slated him for a long time and i always taught he had the showing of a good player but he aint the player we should be looking at playing the pivot role in a 3 man mid. Id rather Oscar Oriol or Luiz play that role.

Err you know that Mikel has one of the highest completed passing stats dont you?
    Admittedly because he only passes about 10 yards, but he's not there to do long raking defence splitting passes. He's there to break up and play a pass for us to go on the attack, and he is pretty good at that

This is too long to copy and paste, but the guys a good un!

http://www.eplindex.co.uk/16829/chelsea-forget-john-obi-mikel.html

Oh and we didnt start 4-3-3, we started as always 4-2-3-1 and QPR lined up as 4-4-2
    http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2919725

Please read my post!

Please read my post!

shoulda!

I have to agree with Ron. I like Mikel and he does have good passing stats but he cannot pick out long passes that a deep midfielder should be able to do and he has not creative vision. Oscar, Oriol and Luiz would start ahead of him for me in a 3 man mid.

Put him beside some on like any of the above and Ramires too but i would not start him on his own.

Your right ron, we pushed Moses further forward but by the time he came on we did not look like we could keep the ball for a full minute. If we are to play the attacking football Roman wants we have to have the ball to attack and we never look to retain possesion, alway giving sloppy passes lack of concentration lack of movement.

Your Spot on too with regards to Mikel, i like Mikel and i always have. People slated him for a long time and i always taught he had the showing of a good player but he aint the player we should be looking at playing the pivot role in a 3 man mid. Id rather Oscar Oriol or Luiz play that role.

Yeh maybe Luiz there, could be good for him Desailly started there for Milan and didnt do him any harm. Could teach him not to be so rash. Oriol I like there last year passing is better than mikel's and can pass more 10 yards and find someone. Was always dropping back to receive the ball from cech too.

Outside of the club im not sure, I would like felaini but I think the is better a little further forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I have to agree with Ron. I like Mikel and he does have good passing stats but he cannot pick out long passes that a deep midfielder should be able to do and he has not creative vision. Oscar, Oriol and Luiz would start ahead of him for me in a 3 man mid.

Put him beside some on like any of the above and Ramires too but i would not start him on his own.
    Have you seen Luiz play in midfield often?

amiable wrote: »
    Have you seen Luiz play in midfield often?

Nope, never but i would like to see him play there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Nope, never but i would like to see him play there.

So how can you make a claim that he should start there ahead of Mikel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

IMO Luiz would be lost in midfield he's bad enough in defense in a positional sense, although he has drastically improved since his arrival. I suppose Robbie has a tough enough job trying to pick the best team, reading through this thread everyone seems to have a different midfield that they prefer.

Im actually looking forward to seeing the team selection against Juve, I think its sort of a must win game as are all the home CL games so I hope we dont go on the defensive, otherwise we'll be tore apart.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    IMO Luiz would be lost in midfield he's bad enough in defense in a positional sense, although he has drastically improved since his arrival. I suppose Robbie has a tough enough job trying to pick the best team, reading through this thread everyone seems to have a different midfield that they prefer.

Im actually looking forward to seeing the team selection against Juve, I think its sort of a must win game as are all the home CL games so I hope we dont go on the defensive, otherwise we'll be tore apart.

I'm betting our team wont be much different from the usual 11, bar injuries.
    Back four picks itself as does Torres and Hazard
    Mata will play as will Lampard and Mikel if fit, so its who goes right wing, Ramires or Moses? Reckon it will be Ramires.
    No way will Oscar start

I'm betting our team wont be much different from the usual 11, bar injuries.
    Back four picks itself as does Torres and Hazard
    Mata will play as will Lampard and Mikel if fit, so its who goes right wing, Ramires or Moses? Reckon it will be Ramires.
    No way will Oscar start

Well I'd definitely go with Moses on the right, he actually gave a spark to our play when he came on at the weekend, and he's also not afraid to do a bit of donkey work for the team and track back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Aquila wrote: »
    Do you think Roman will go out and buy in the January window?
    If RDM is doing well by Christmas and if the right players are available, a couple of signings (balanced by exits!) should be sanctioned.

Torres is key here. He's obviously in decent enough form, and I can't help suspecting he's angling for a return to Madrid, possibly as a part swop for Falcao.

Strange things could happen. RM could crash over the coming months and Mourinho could be out the door in time to bring a couple of players with him before the January window closes. This could act as a catalyst to encouraging Guardiola back into the fray - and an earlier than planned entry into CFC.

I have the sense though that CFC want RDM to do fine for now and give Guardiola his full year off. A man with a fully formed plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

McDave wrote: »
    If RDM is doing well by Christmas and if the right players are available, a couple of signings (balanced by exits!) should be sanctioned.

Torres is key here. He's obviously in decent enough form, and I can't help suspecting he's angling for a return to Madrid, possibly as a part swop for Falcao.

Strange things could happen. RM could crash over the coming months and Mourinho could be out the door in time to bring a couple of players with him before the January window closes. This could act as a catalyst to encouraging Guardiola back into the fray - and an earlier than planned entry into CFC.

I have the sense though that CFC want RDM to do fine for now and give Guardiola his full year off. A man with a fully formed plan.

I really hope we don't go after guardiola, I have far more faith in RDM getting the best out of the team than pep.

I know people have been complaining about some of RDM's tactics but if pep was in charge it wouldn't be long before the same people start criticising the poor defence, playing a style unsuited to the team, conceding soft goals.......yada yada yada yada. I get the impression from some fans on this forum that whoever was in charge they would find something to complain about:rolleyes:

I'm really quite worried about Torres, I just dont see him as a main striker and certainly not the answer long term. I dont think he handles pressure well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

On a lighter note......watching the Kings of Europe programme on Sky.....excellent viewing, love lookig back through the games and goals. Torres at Camp Nou, Drognas equaloser in the final, Cech saving from Robben, Cole off the line in Naples. What a way to win the UCL.

Luiz penalty in the final.........excellent amd Cechs prepartion for the penalty shoot out was exceptional. Went the right way every time and saved 3 out 6 in the whole game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

After Mata missed I thought Luiz was going to blaze over! Incredible night of emotions!

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    After Mata missed I thought Luiz was going to blaze over! Incredible night of emotions!

I watched the entire thing through my fingers.

When Drogba scored the joy I felt was surreal. I cant even comprehend what the players and staff felt after Didier scored.

amiable wrote: »
    So how can you make a claim that he should start there ahead of Mikel?

I said i would start him there before Mikel, which i would in a 3 man mid.
    As for people wining about who ever is in charge, thats what makes football interesting on boards. Every one has their own opinion on what they see. BTW i dont see many people moaning just some people voicing their opinion on what they would change or how we could be better.

We dont have much to moan about any way, european champions and 1st in the PL.

As for the Pep comment i think your right, Roman has him ear marked and im sure Pep is sitting back taking note on what he wants to change if he was to take charge. He wants a break but he confessed himself he cannot stay away from football for long and im sure he is like most fans studying his club weather he comes to Chelsea Man Utd or who ever.

By the way i think most of our player would suit Pep should he take over bar maybe 2 or 3 players. I for one would love him to take over next year and implament his tiki taka style into the club from youth level through to our starting 11. Exceptional football to watch!

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I watched the entire thing through my fingers.

When Drogba scored the joy I felt was surreal. I cant even comprehend what the players and staff felt after Didier scored.

As Drogba walked up to take that peno the GF moved all the glasses off the table as she knew if he scored I would be jumping around everywhere & probably cause if he missed then they would of been flung off the table :pac:

I honestly still get goosebumps every time I watch that shootout, epic night :D

I couldnt disagree more about Barca's play. Its as boring as watching paint dry IMO.

While I'd like to see us play better football, but not at the cost of winning and in the EPL you still need a bit of steel to match your guile. A total overhaul to play exactly Barca is near impossible, especially given their hoovering up of the best talent in Europe at such a young age also and the fact the benefited from 3 of the most talented players of their generation.

The club, Chelsea, from the youths up play very good attacking football, its the first team that play the tripe football, Drummy encourages possesion football with a cutting thrust which is about the best you can do in England IMO.

A total change to tika taka isnt a feasable plan I think, a lot of teams try and copy the style and ultimately fail.

Sure whos to say that RDM will be fired and if he does, why would Pep take the Chelsea job?

There is alot of variables in the equation before we play like Barca, now if Pep could convince Messi to join then maybe my view will be changed but until then, dont mess with it, if it aint broken. :pac:

I couldnt disagree more about Barca's play. Its as boring as watching paint dry IMO.

While I'd like to see us play better football, but not at the cost of winning and in the EPL you still need a bit of steel to match your guile. A total overhaul to play exactly Barca is near impossible, especially given their hoovering up of the best talent in Europe at such a young age also and the fact the benefited from 3 of the most talented players of their generation.

The club, Chelsea, from the youths up play very good attacking football, its the first team that play the tripe football, Drummy encourages possesion football with a cutting thrust which is about the best you can do in England IMO.

A total change to tika taka isnt a feasable plan I think, a lot of teams try and copy the style and ultimately fail.

Sure whos to say that RDM will be fired and if he does, why would Pep take the Chelsea job?

There is alot of variables in the equation before we play like Barca, now if Pep could convince Messi to join then maybe my view will be changed but until then, dont mess with it, if it aint broken. :pac:

I agree with you 100% in regards to the youth teams playing nice attacking football. I'm nearly sure I've already said this on here but IMO thats why our youth players struggle to get into the 1st team, they are brought up through the academy playing nice attacking football, then when it comes to the senior side they are completely lost as they are sort of restricted by our play.

Its no wonder really that most of the lads who left Chelsea in the past couple of years all look like decent footballers. I could easily name 9-10 players who were on the books at Chelsea in the last 3-4 years that would make it in to most Pl sides.

I agree with the youth comment too but having said that there is not a long list that could have made it with the CHAMPION OF EUROPE!!!

I liked Sinclair Johnson and that other winger we sold about 2 or 3 seasons ago forget his name but i dont think there was a pile of massive players we lost out on TBH although im sure you will referesh my mind :p

Regarding Barca, i cant understand how any one does not like the way they play. They play a system to perfection it can make a match boring because no one can get the ball off them. Very very intelligent football.

Having said that i agree Gav its not a straight forward system and could take years to perfect at another club completly new to the system but thats not to say it would not work and of course we would be minus Messi to start with ;)

• Advertisement

I agree with the youth comment too but having said that there is not a long list that could have made it with the CHAMPION OF EUROPE!!!

I liked Sinclair Johnson and that other winger we sold about 2 or 3 seasons ago forget his name but i dont think there was a pile of massive players we lost out on TBH although im sure you will referesh my mind :p

Regarding Barca, i cant understand how any one does not like the way they play. They play a system to perfection it can make a match boring because no one can get the ball off them. Very very intelligent football.

Having said that i agree Gav its not a straight forward system and could take years to perfect at another club completly new to the system but thats not to say it would not work and of course we would be minus Messi to start with ;)

Miroslav Stoch? Gokhan Tore?

Pfffft Messi doesnt do it against the big teams * though so dont know if I'd trust him to do it in the EPL.

By big teams I mean Chelsea, Champions of Europe.

Stoch thats the one i liked. Never taugh much of Tore of Sala TBH.

Wonder how Stoch is getting on these days
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1e4Ty-FtFHhXTAvEw9N89KRHsyO8ytbq3Z3ZYglgFH1Z7k7jVTsbq1dQ

For those who missed it,
    heres Hazard's amazing rabona pass to JT against QPR

And heres Joe Coles one

Fixed you r links so those of us in work can vew them Sgt. ;)

Must have been in the bathroom for Hazard's pass, excellent technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Essien starting for Madrid.

Essien starting for Madrid.

I know, was just going to post myself - playing pretty well as well.

Maybe a mistake letting him go on loan?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I know, was just going to post myself - playing pretty well as well.

Maybe a mistake letting him go on loan?

Ye he's doing ok, but has been destroyed by Yaya twice now

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Ye he's doing ok, but has been destroyed by Yaya twice now

Yaya can destroy anyone, an awesome player. It says something that Essien is deemed good enough to play for Real but wasn't given a chance to play for us, hard to understand.

Techless wrote: »
    Yaya can destroy anyone, an awesome player. It says something that Essien is deemed good enough to play for Real but wasn't given a chance to play for us, hard to understand.

Well to be fair, I think a move away was best for both parties, he was never really going to play for us this season, so now he can try get back to his best with Real then we can either bring him back or sell him for a nice hefty price compared to what we would of got this season trying to sell a potential crock.

I dont think we'll see much of Essien at Real.

I think he was drifted into the team tonight so Jose could combat a City attacking force but Mancini sent out a defensive team which really didnt warrant sending out 3 DM's by Real, he may get the odd game but I'd be surprsied if he made more then 20 appearences this season for Real, surprsied but happy. :)

I have to agree with both above comments. Essien may prove his potential transfere fee and we can flog him off in the summer rather than him sitting on our bench. He was played as a defensive mid last night and he is nothing near the player he once was, very slow and was pulled out of position once or twice last night. We dont need him when we have Ramires Lampard Mikel and Oriol all playing in the same role.

On another note i was not impressed with Di Maria, maybe a good thing we did not sign him in the summer....we can settle for Hazard :D

On another note i was not impressed with Di Maria, maybe a good thing we did not sign him in the summer....we can settle for Hazard :D

I'm actually a big fan of Di Maria, he's very inconsistent but when he's on form he's a brilliant player to watch.

I would love for Chelsea to sign Ozil, there's probably no chance of it happening but if Modric has a good season Ozil will find his chances limited. He rarely plays the full 90 mins but thats simply because he runs the legs off himself every game, I think he would suit us perfect as he creates plays from deep, something were missing at the moment.

Im a big fan of DiMaria too but he was pants last night bar maybe two really good runs. As for Ozil Madrid got him at a bargin price. Brilliant player but im not sure we need him now with Mata Hazard and Oscar. Having said that i wouldn be disapoint if we signed him ;)

Loving all the negative talk about us and our odds v Juve. I just hope we can sickin all the haters again with a decent result tonight. Its going to be a tough game but we can beat any one on our day and we are well capable of getting a win but id settle for a draw.

Did ye watch the Sevilla v REal Madrid match the other night?

Di Maria tried to punch the head of one of the Sevilla's CM when he couldnt get the ball off him, only for him slipping he was looking at a nice hefty ban, Jose whipped him at half time too, he was very close to been sent off had it been seen by the ref.

• Advertisement

Did ye watch the Sevilla v REal Madrid match the other night?

Di Maria tried to punch the head of one of the Sevilla's CM when he couldnt get the ball off him, only for him slipping he was looking at a nice hefty ban, Jose whipped him at half time too, he was very close to been sent off had it been seen by the ref.

Ha ha no i missed that one, i read the report from Mourinho alright, he said he made two changes at half time but wanted to make 7!!! Good aul Mourinho. Some squad they have now BTW.

Any one know who is showing our match tonight?

Ha ha no i missed that one, i read the report from Mourinho alright, he said he made two changes at half time but wanted to make 7!!! Good aul Mourinho. Some squad they have now BTW.

Any one know who is showing our match tonight?

Sky Sports 2, I'm not sure if RTE/UTV are showing us, with Man UTd on they'll get first preference.

Lads whats your taughts on tonight regarding formation and our starting 11. I think Juve are going to be the toughest team we play so this season and the way the line out should be tricky to counter especially when we line up witha narrow 4-2-3-1 formation. If we can spread out our midfield to mark up when we are defending we should be ok and have some opertunities to counter Juve especially down the flanks.

Im kinda torn with our trusted current formation and playing a 4-3-3 of sorts. Id like to see Ramires start along side Mikel in a 4-2-3-1 but its not likely to happen.

Giovinco will have to be marked close and i dont want to see Luiz chasing him out off the box with crazy tackles. For that reason Ramires should start and counter the energy the Italians have in midfield and chase Giovinco till he passes out.

Vucinic can be marked by both Terry and Luiz which ever side he makes his runs. Pirlo will also have to marked and hassled off the ball every time he gets it. And for this reason id like to see Oscar start to hassle Pirlo best he can and counter attack if he is sucsessful.

Juve normaly play 3 at the back with flying wingers high up the field so for all the above i think a formation with Mata and Hazard in wide roles to get behind Juve's defense.

Id like to see us go with below but i think Rami will start wide or else Bertrand. Lamps will also get the knod ahead of Oscar.

Torres

Hazard
    Mata

Oscar

Ramires
    Mikel

Cole
    Terry
    Luiz
    Ivanovic

Cech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I reckon we'll line up 4-3-3:

Cech
    Ivan-Luiz-Terry-Cole
    Mikel
    --Rami---Lamps---
    Mata
    Hazard
    Torres

We might see Oscar come on for Lamps after about 70 minutes, or Mata depends on how the game is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ramires really struggles to make an impact on the right of a 4-2-3-1 he offers little except good cover for Ivan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sky Sports 2, I'm not sure if RTE/UTV are showing us, with Man UTd on they'll get first preference.

Chelsea - Juve would be a far more interesting match for the neutral (such as myself) but of course RTE are going to Old Trafford

If Oscar ahsnt started any of our EPL games and hasnt featured at all really, I dont think he'll start.

RDM wont risk him.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the same team that lined up against QPR but Id say with Mata coming back, he'll slot in for Bertrand and we'll go 4-2-3-1.

Cech
    Ivan Luiz JT Cole
    Mikel Lamps
    Ramires Hazard Mata
    Torres

greendom wrote: »
    Chelsea - Juve would be a far more interesting match for the neutral (such as myself) but of course RTE are going to Old Trafford

Oh ya, if I was a neutral I know what I'd be looking to watch, but the reality is no matter whos playing in the UCL, if United are playing on that night, they'll be shown by RTE.

Even if it gets to the last 2 rounds of games and all British sides are into the next round they'll show a British side before an interesting game where 2 teams could be fighting to go through.

Not to pushed myself though as long as TV3 dont show our games. No HD, no thanks. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Chelsea kings of Europe is on sky atm

• Advertisement

Chelsea kings of Europe is on sky atm

Its a good watch, have it recorded myself after watching it the other night.

JT laughs a few times about his full kit incident and mentions that hes seen pics with him celebrating with Usain Bolt and others. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement