Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

NIMAN wrote: »
    I said that, and fully agree.

But the wording on the post I quoted, basically that "1 pt against Juve is unacceptable" showed a lack of respect imho. Now if it was said int he context of throwing away a 2 goal lead, then 1pt is unacceptable, but the wording makes it sound like Juve should be a guaranteed 3pts.

It's the_monkey he is known for his knee jerk post's. The place wouldn't be the same without him around though, I usually enjoy his post's especially post (disastrous) game tend to cheer must of us up somehow :o

I think the next 2 weeks will be a huge test for us and well I think most will agree 4 wins is expected. 4 games in 14 days will be tough but at least the game next Tue is league cup so should be fit to rest a good few players for the league game with Arsenal. Then the must win with Nordsjaelland. Could be a season defining period, sounds weird saying that this early on :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Caveman1 wrote: »
    The problem with him coming depp or out to the wings is once he gets the ball and passes it on he doesnt have the pace to race back in to position, I would honestly love for him to hit a hot streak but getting a goal here & there as the main striker is simply not good enough.

I would love if we brought in someone like Higuain or Falcao (obviously), even though I think Lukaku will play a big part next season we still need more options up front & competition for places.

Totally agree, tired of hearing the same old excuses, play Danny up there and see his energy and hunting for the ball and making things happen

Torres is so one dimensional its frightning, in fact I think his level is now that of only being able to score against lower level teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Missed Drogba last night??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

As what a day pointed out, if Mata squared a simple ball then Torres has a tap in, he decided to shot.....near post......against Buffon. :pac: What was he expecting? At least Torres squared his chance in the European Championship final to Mata for a tap in, Mata should have squared it and we'd all be celebrating an excellent piece of build up play between Hazard/Mata and finished by Torres and 3 points.

So...getting away from last night, whats going to happen against Stoke?

Do we drop Lamps and Mikel and play Ramires and Oscar inside CM? Stoke wont play bal as much as Juventus so 2 holding players is neglible IMO.

If I wanted to control the tempo of the game and possesion I'd play

Cech
    Ivan Luiz JT Cole
    Ramires Oscar
    Moses Hazard Mata
    Torres

I'd be very surprised if it did happen though. Once we put JT on Crouch and win the 2nd ball we'll do Stoke easily at Stamford Bridge I reckon.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Missed Drogba last night??

Not really, we dont play to his strengths anymore, lumping balls forward would negate Hazard/Oscar coupled with the fact Ramires couldnt cross his legs I think Drogba wouldnt have had chances either, with the exception of the free kick that Lampard just smashed at Buffon.

We're trying to move away from the smash and grab football gradually and it will work eventually but it needs a bit of time and the right players playing week in week out.

In RDM's pre-match interview he said he was going to play Oscar because the pace of the UCL wouldnt be as quick as the EPL.....eh last night was like an EPL game, end to end, hefty challenges and Oscar played well.

I'd throw him in against Stoke because he played well against a team that went unbeaten in Series A and are some level above Stoke, if hes fit he shoudl play. Same goes for Moses, get him out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I agree Gav, this will take time and i saw glimpes of it coming together last night. Some realy sexy football played at time but one or two slip ups and we are punished. This will take time to iron out and all teams leak goals at some way or another, if they didn the game would be terribly boring.

I taught our defense done rather well, we defended in numbers and if not for Mikels mistake we would have won the game. Hazard Oscar Ramires and Torres all defending and nipping winning sloppy passes, was great work rate but some players got tired towards the end. This will come right once these players like Hazard and Oscar aclimatize to the PL.

I think Oscar proved his worth last night and was brilliant. I saw that idiot souness last night claim that Oscar offered nothing but two luck goals!!

I nearly puked! Oscar was briliant even if he did not score. Pirlo was not in the game until Oscar came off, he second goal could be contender of goal of the season all ready. He looks a quality player, very intelligent footballer at his tender age and he is going to be quality. He has to start in between Hazard and Mata for me!

GavRedKing wrote: »
    In RDM's pre-match interview he said he was going to play Oscar because the pace of the UCL wouldnt be as quick as the EPL.....eh last night was like an EPL game, end to end, hefty challenges and Oscar played well.

I'd throw him in against Stoke because he played well against a team that went unbeaten in Series A and are some level above Stoke, if hes fit he shoudl play. Same goes for Moses, get him out wide.

To fit them all in Gav we would have to play a 4-3-3 formation and against Stoke i think Mikel might get the should against a tough Stoke side. So for me i would have to line up against Stoke in a 4-3-3.
    We could and should be able to beat them at the bridge and id like to see us line up like

Hazard
    Torres
    Moses

Oscar
    Mata

Mikel

Cole
    Terry
    Luiz
    Ivan

Cech

Keep a strong a squad as possible as a this one is a must win game. After this one we play a cup game and can play a few younger players. Start Sturridge and Marin in he is fit. Introduce Ceasar and play Bertrand and Cahill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Don't know how Mikel has stayed in the team for so long tbh, he offers very little. He's slow to get around, offers poor cover and breaks up play terribly. Coupled with the fact that he can't handle the ball under pressure at all and has a dreadful passing range it's a miracle he's stayed in the team for so long. And now that there is no competition he is comfortable too.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Don't know how Mikel has stayed in the team for so long tbh, he offers very little. He's slow to get around, offers poor cover and breaks up play terribly. Coupled with the fact that he can't handle the ball under pressure at all and has a dreadful passing range it's a miracle he's stayed in the team for so long. And now that there is no competition he is comfortable too.

I actually think Mikel is quite good at what he does and we do have compition for his place but Robbie seems to leave him there maybe untill we sort other areas of our play. I the problem with Mikel is that he is just prone to the odd mistake and he makes too many of them for my liking. He is good at winning the ball and good at retaining the ball when he is closesed down but when it comes to passing he often makes the wrong dissision or makes a mess of the pass.

As i said id like to see Mikel replaced by Ramires or Oriol now and again.
    Oriol was fantastic for us last season and Ramires would offer more then Lamps if Rami was to partner Mikel. But again the duo would not stop Mikel making silly mistakes.

Bring in fellaini is my answer : - )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Fair play to RDM for springing a suprise and starting Oscar in such a big game. Payed off big time. I have been watching THAT goal over and over again this morning.

Any one know if the Stoke game is on TV?

Hate the way you cant watch a team you support, i understand the idea is to get you to go and watch the match in the stadium but come on i live a different f00kin country!

Il pay!!!! Just show the dam games some one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Present for ye ;)

di-kmib.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

what a day wrote: »
    Any one know if the Stoke game is on TV?

Hate the way you cant watch a team you support, i understand the idea is to get you to go and watch the match in the stadium but come on i live a different f00kin country!

Il pay!!!! Just show the dam games some one!!

Setanta Sports 1 is showing the game at 3 o Clock, unfortunately its PPV, off to the pub I say :D

Hazard
    Torres
    Moses

Oscar
    Mata

Mikel

Cole
    Terry
    Luiz
    Ivan

Cech

4-1-2-2-1 is what I'll call it. :P

It could work, we have the players for it but dropping Lamps and exposing JT with only one DM is a big risk.

We could over run temas with the possesion and bodies attacking though.

• Advertisement

Setanta Sports 1 is showing the game at 3 o Clock, unfortunately its PPV, off to the pub I say :D

Must.....resist....urge....of.....pub :eek:

Must.....resist....urge....of.....pub :eek:

Well I'm sure a walk down by the stream would be just as good ;)

Well I'm sure a walk down by the stream would be just as good ;)

Also, a lot cheaper. There's nothing worse then going out for a match Saturday and coming home Sunday at 3 AM :p

Or is that, there's nothing better then going out for a match Saturday and coming home Sunday at 3 AM? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ronsgonawin

4-1-2-2-1 is what I'll call it. :P

It could work, we have the players for it but dropping Lamps and exposing JT with only one DM is a big risk.

We could over run temas with the possesion and bodies attacking though.

Its what I think we should be playing at the minute, until we can control games better anyway.

In Midfield I would have mikel/oriol lampard/oscar and ram

I would play Mata from the right, as far as I can remember he played there for valencia quite alot, but would need an attacking full back behind him.

For me that is a team that could keep the ball and with Hazard and Mat cutting in would give plenty of creativity.

My 2 cents ha.

Also, a lot cheaper. There's nothing worse then going out for a match Saturday and coming home Sunday at 3 AM :p

Or is that, there's nothing better then going out for a match Saturday and coming home Sunday at 3 AM? :pac:

Well unfortunately for me I have a girlfriend so I'm not allowed have fun,
    so I'll say theres nothing worse :D

• Advertisement

If Azpilicueta can perform well in the League Cup then hopefully he'll be considered to replace Ivanovic. With Cole and Bertrand we have two good attacking LB's but on the RB side Ivanovic isnt good enough, good in the air from set pieces but his overall attacking game lacks a bit to be considered a top RB.

Well unfortunately for me I have a girlfriend so I'm not allowed have fun,
    so I'll say theres nothing worse :D

I know your pain well my friend, I know it well. :o

Although I've dragged my current G/F to Stamford Bridge even though shes a part time Man Utd fan, more so becasue of Ronaldo a few years back, I love winding her up about Messi > Ronaldo though and how shes been to Stamford Bridge and not Old Trafford. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

growler wrote: »
    Just back from the bridge and although disappointing result was great to see Oscar in action, looked amazing, if that's what he's like after tiring international duty, can't wait to see what he's capable of when fresh. After thinking Mikel had finally turned into a quality player after recent performances he was poor again tonight, giving the ball away constantly, poor passes and at fault for the equaliser after failing to hoof it upfield.

Most worryingly though was Torres, he was slow, looked his usual sulky self and really offered us nothing, I hope there's a plan B coz with all that talent in midfield we need someone to do the finishing.

Ref was shocking, as per usual in the CL ;)

Was at the game myself last night and have to agree the referee and his team were appalling very inconsistent would give nothing to one side and then a foul a similar nature would take place seconds later for the other and he'd give it also its been spoken on many occassions but those guys behind the goal are some serious waste of money, they only really cover the side of the goal they are standing on and didnt seem to be called on for any decisions (well judging by the guy in front of me close to the Harding stand) he spent the night either crouching down looking at the line like he was about to take a dung or stare at the linesman/ref who he had no influence on.

Was at the game myself last night and have to agree the referee and his team were appalling very inconsistent would give nothing to one side and then a foul a similar nature would take place seconds later for the other and he'd give it also its been spoken on many occassions but those guys behind the goal are some serious waste of money, they only really cover the side of the goal they are standing on and didnt seem to be called on for any decisions (well judging by the guy in front of me close to the Harding stand) he spent the night either crouching down looking at the line like he was about to take a dung or stare at the linesman/ref who he had no influence on.

As far as I'm aware, they only deal with goal line incidents and if the ref wants some advice on something, penalty, handball etc etc he can go to them too, they have no direct input and act as an advisor it seems.

I do agree though, they're useless really in the majority of incidents and also they stand on the same side as the linesmanm which makes no sense.

They should have them on the opposite by-line so they can have a triangluar vision of the box.

They 5th official should be on the other side so they can get a better view IMO.

Torres & Mata are bound to score at the weekend. Why?

Coz I've just taken them out of my FF. :o

Is there any news of Danny ? How long is he going to be out for?

Is there any news of Danny ? How long is he going to be out for?

RDM suggested he'd be ok for the weekend. If he doesnt start at the weekend he'll start in the League Cup although I'd be in favour of playing Piazon/Bamford in that.

RDM suggested he'd be ok for the weekend. If he doesnt start at the weekend he'll start in the League Cup although I'd be in favour of playing Piazon/Bamford in that.

I'm actually looking forward to watching the league cup more than the stoke game as I have a feeling we'll expirement with formations, players & as you've mentioned hopefully we'll see some of the younger lads get a look in.

I'm actually looking forward to watching the league cup more than the stoke game as I have a feeling we'll expirement with formations, players & as you've mentioned hopefully we'll see some of the younger lads get a look in.

Does Malouda count as part of the young alds seeming as hes training with them?

I'd say for the league cup game it should be :

Blackman
    Azp Cahill Ake Bertrand
    Romeu Oscar
    Moses Piazon Marin
    Sturridge

As far as I'm aware, they only deal with goal line incidents and if the ref wants some advice on something, penalty, handball etc etc he can go to them too, they have no direct input and act as an advisor it seems.

I do agree though, they're useless really in the majority of incidents and also they stand on the same side as the linesmanm which makes no sense.

They should have them on the opposite by-line so they can have a triangluar vision of the box.

They 5th official should be on the other side so they can get a better view IMO.

Or have the 6 or 7th officall or what ever he/she is called and have them watch the game on TV so they can instantly watch slow mo replays and give a view then.....only when it comes to penos/balls going over the line etc

• Advertisement

Does Malouda count as part of the young alds seeming as hes training with them?

I'd say for the league cup game it should be :

Blackman
    Azp Cahill Ake Bertrand
    Romeu Oscar
    Moses Piazon Marin
    Sturridge

No Way i think we need one or two senior players in there
    Id go for a line up like

Hilario

Ceasar
    Luiz
    Cahill
    Bertrand

Oriol

Ramires
    Oscar

Moses
    Sturridge
    Marin

Get these lads playing as a team throw them in at the deep end together and make them fight for a win. Oscar and Ramires should add enough for us to controle the middle while Oriol Luiz and Cahill will soildiafy our defense.

Let Moses Sturridge and Marin show us what they can do.

We'll only know if they lads are good enough if we give them games, the League Cup is the kind of games we should play them in, no pressure from Roman to win it and a good chance to blood some players.

Also I think we should play Malouda on the left. :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Was thinking about this over lunch and I reckon at present , Mata, Oscar, Sturridge, Ramires, Hazard, Cahill and Luiz, would all beat Torres in a 30 yard sprint, that worries me, a lot.

I know he keeps going deep and out wide, but I don't think he needs to, we have the players to put the ball at his feet but inevitably he's too far out and easily blocked from going anywhere.

As mentioned above, the Cech hoof upfield is a total waste these days when we have no one capable of chesting it down and making a forward pass under pressure.

And we still can't take corners.

Just missing that killer instinct up front, otherwise we'd win everything this year

Was thinking about this over lunch and I reckon at present , Mata, Oscar, Sturridge, Ramires, Hazard, Cahill and Luiz, would all beat Torres in a 30 yard sprint, that worries me, a lot.

I know he keeps going deep and out wide, but I don't think he needs to, we have the players to put the ball at his feet but inevitably he's too far out and easily blocked from going anywhere.

As mentioned above, the Cech hoof upfield is a total waste these days when we have no one capable of chesting it down and making a forward pass under pressure.

And we still can't take corners.

Just missing that killer instinct up front, otherwise we'd win everything this year

For whatever reason he still does it though, I agree that he should be staying central and looking to make runs but often the ball gets slowed down and moves break down becasue of it. Torres doesnt have the pace he had 5 years ago and he has to re-invented himself to score goals. The team now has excellent playmakers with Mata, Hazard, Oscar and those lads will make assists all day if Torres can be in the right place but he has to be there nad they have to be willing to play him in.

Agreed with Cech's kicking, even last year it was rather aimless, his distribution isnt the greatest, especially his accuracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

If only it were that simple. Unfortunately we still have lots of problems in defence.
    Last night we go and give away a 2 goal lead at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The saturday stoke match is on
    Setanta

14:30 - 17:30 Permier League: Chelsea v Stoke

Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo will have history on his side as the Europeamn champions host Stoke City - the visitors have not won a league game at Stamford Bridge since April 1974.

I think we all agree the hoof ball has to spot and i think we are begining to knock it on the head. We dont seem to do it half as much as we did.
    These are basic rules of football, you cannot score if you dont have the ball so why give it away with a big boot up field.

I still think our perfect player right now would be aguero and to this day im sick we missed out on him and ended up with Torres. Aguero would be excellent with us and would link up with Mata and Hazard while he is a preditor in the box he can also out run and dribble past defenders unlike Torres.

I posted a while back that Sturridge should get a shout ahead of Torres but no one seemed to agree. Sturridge would offer fresher faster and quicker legs than Torres and can also beat a defender. Im not writing Torres off he still does a job but we dont seem to be able to get behind defenses as every one plays a tight defense against us. So for this reason we have to be able to play through a defense and be capable of shooting from the edge of the area. Sturridge!

bullpost wrote: »
    If only it were that simple. Unfortunately we still have lots of problems in defence.

The problem last night was a lack of defensive cover from CM.

Mikel played a part in losing both goals, he should have been closer to Vidal although if he wasnt told to stick on him he was marking nobody on the edge of our box and the 2nd he gave away the ball and 15 seconds later they socred, mainly because JT tried to play offside.

We should and could have won, a penalty which could have been given and had Mata rolled in Torres we'd have a different outcome, although Quariella grazed the bar also.

The saturday stoke match is on
    Setanta

14:30 - 17:30 Permier League: Chelsea v Stoke

Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo will have history on his side as the Europeamn champions host Stoke City - the visitors have not won a league game at Stamford Bridge since April 1974.
    You know whats going to happen now, Stoke 1-0 :(

• Advertisement

I think we all agree the hoof ball has to spot and i think we are begining to knock it on the head. We dont seem to do it half as much as we did.
    These are basic rules of football, you cannot score if you dont have the ball so why give it away with a big boot up field.

I still think our perfect player right now would be aguero and to this day im sick we missed out on him and ended up with Torres. Aguero would be excellent with us and would link up with Mata and Hazard while he is a preditor in the box he can also out run and dribble past defenders unlike Torres.

I posted a while back that Sturridge should get a shout ahead of Torres but no one seemed to agree. Sturridge would offer fresher faster and quicker legs than Torres and can also beat a defender. Im not writing Torres off he still does a job but we dont seem to be able to get behind defenses as every one plays a tight defense against us. So for this reason we have to be able to play through a defense and be capable of shooting from the edge of the area. Sturridge!

I see no problem playing Danny off Torres, he did it at Bolton playing off another CF.

No i mean play Sturridge instead of Torres as a striker. Either in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1, Sturridge would do the business.

Torres failings are he is not getting any service.
    Torres does not get service because he plays of a defenders shoulder and runs on. Only problem is all our oposition bar maybe 2 or 3 teams play a deep defense against us so Torres cannot play on the shoulder of a defender. This is why he has to come deep to get on the ball and run on a counter attack or go our wide to receive the ball.

Two things are wrong here, Torres has lost his confidence and pace. Sturridge would be the answer as he still has pace to burn and can dribble past a defender and also shoot form distance. Bags of confidence and if he got a run in the squad he would bag us goals!

Time well tell I guess. :pac:

What are we going to do if Danny leaves us at the of the season? :p

Time well tell I guess. :pac:

What are we going to do if Danny leaves us at the of the season? :p

Crap our selves!!

I think Lukaku can come in and offer us a more of a plan B.
    Simular to Drogba he can bardge through a defense but i dont think he is the type of player we will be looking to for sexy football. Id imagine if Sturridge does not get a few games this season he will leave us and if he does i would not be suprized to see Torres go too.

This will leave us to go after Falcao and Shurrle. I wont be too fussed with either of them :)

I think Falcao is to unrealistic, A.Madrid wont sell for anything under €50 Million I reckon, Schurrle would be a better suggestion but its not like Roman to go away and spend huge money so if Falcao does go he'll be a huge transfer.

I think Falcao is to unrealistic, A.Madrid wont sell for anything under €50 Million I reckon, Schurrle would be a better suggestion but its not like Roman to go away and spend huge money so if Falcao does go he'll be a huge transfer.

I think Roman could suprize again next summer with a few new faces like Falcao. Sure he will be expensive but we all now money is no object to Roman :)

I think we need a striker that can beat a defender and score a goal. Falcao can do this and he is good in the air. Worth 50m in my book, he is probably the best striker in europe at the moment and we already spent
    that kind of money on Torres so why not spend it again. we shipped out a few players and won some prize money along the way so im sure we aint too strapped for cash, after all we dont need to recruit in too many departments if Ceasar is as good as our other signings.

• Advertisement

Although Mikel was at fault for the 2nd goal I think Hazard could of easily prevented the 1st one, basically just let the player go by him, anyway thats enough on the Juve game.

Stoke will be without defender Anthony Wilkinson who has got a 3 match ban for elbowing Balotelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Am going over to the Stoke match and hope that Moses gets a game. I think he would be a better option to Ramires on the right side. Would also like to see Ramires in cm replacing either Frank or Mikel, I just dont think they are a good pair, very slow. After all these years still don't know about Mikel, physically an awesome athlete, good technique, though never offers a goal threat and woeful concentration. Last night giving the ball away for the equaliser was bad but standing still after he did it was worse. Having said that they all reacted so slowly.

Techless wrote: »
    Am going over to the Stoke match and hope that Moses gets a game. I think he would be a better option to Ramires on the right side. Would also like to see Ramires in cm replacing either Frank or Mikel, I just dont think they are a good pair, very slow. After all these years still don't know about Mikel, physically an awesome athlete, good technique, though never offers a goal threat and woeful concentration. Last night giving the ball away for the equaliser was bad but standing still after he did it was worse. Having said that they all reacted so slowly.

I agree , hopefully RDM is reading your post :pac:

Enjoy the game Techless, should be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

I agree , hopefully RDM is reading your post :pac:

Enjoy the game Techless, should be a good one.

Thanks Caveman, think it will be tough though. Stoke are such a big physical team, going to be dangerous as always from set pieces and we no longer have our best defensive header of a ball, Drogba the Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

bullpost wrote: »

I'm not sure I'd agree with that really, Ok Terry is getting on a bit and will get caught out when we play a high defensive line, but Cahill, Ivan, Cole, Luiz, Bertrand all look pretty damn good to me and have we can field a combined defence which are fast (bar JT), good in the air, capable of a good counter attack etc. The problem is attackers getting to positions they shouldn't before the defenders get a chance to intercept, or the usual mayhem that ensues from an uncleared corner etc.

Defence doesn't worry me half as much as our like of striking prowess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement