Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

@ChelseaActivity 2 mins
    Lots of praise for Chalobah on his first professional start. Hearing he's "running the game" and most notably being compared to Yaya Toure

Great to hear.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

And Lukaku scores.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Time to send torres on loan. Strikers seem to do well on loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Like I said earlier in the season, I'll take dodgy 1-0 wins every week if it means getting 3 points in the bag! It isn't good for the nerves though.

Here's hoping for a Liverpool win and 0-0 snore feast in the other game tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Likerecently,earlier in the season, I'll take dodgy 1-0 wins every week if it means getting 3 points in the bag! It isn't good for the nerves though.

Here's hoping for a Liverpool win and 0-0 snore feast in the other game tomorrow ;)
    With the shakiness of our defense recently, I'm almost happier with the clean sheet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

David Luiz signs new 5 year contract at Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Good to keep Luiz on a long deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

saw this on reddit...
    Let me start this by saying that I love Torres, and when he's on target he's a force to reckon with. But for the amount we paid for him, he should always be on target. Let's be frank, this project isn't working out. 50 games, 9 goals.

One of the commentators today said something that really struck a cord with me, and it's that we're passive, lacking a bite. We have all the necessary elements, great fluid passing, darting runs, but we lack that sure strike. If we had someone in front of goal (i.e Falcao, Cavani, etc.) that was a serious force and made defenders tremble when they get the ball, we would be the complete team.

I think if Torres doesn't get it together and start finding the target this may well be his last year with Chelsea. Am I alone in this thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I just cant see Torres wanting to go and Atlei wanting to sell and pay Torres wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Well, top of the league cant complain about that.
    Fully support RDM even if he does play 1 or 2 square pegs in round holes, I think he is biding his time and playing it safe.
    He is doing a good job of a difficult job and importantly getting results.
    Quite a contrast from last season, but this season we are winning the matches we should be, even if theres a good bit of huff and puff
    Having to blend in the new players and change style is not easy and he's not silly enough to make too many changes too quickly.
    The style will come and when it does click watch out!.
    Good to see Lamps and COle come to the rescue, we need them whilst the new players bed in together, cos they will hopefully form the core of the squad for many years to come and its not going to happen overnight.

Torres is obviously a concern and I'd be surprised if we didnt go into the market in Jan to get some extra security upfront

The real tests will come against Manchesters and Arsenal etc, but in the mean time, well pleased.

RDM is not the best tactically, but he does have one or two things that other and better managers before he havent, and thats an understanding of Chelsea and how to handle players and keep things ticking over.
    Oh and winning the big ear'ed cup.
    Whilst he is winning, Roman cant really sack him and he throughly deserves his chance

13 points from 15 Sgt, we cant really complain can we. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I just cant see Torres wanting to go and Atlei wanting to sell and pay Torres wages.

Yeah I can't see Torres wanting to go back either. Did the stories last week get posted here about Reina approaching Comolli last season begging him to inquire about Torres coming back but the owners booted him before he got to float the idea? I'm not sure how much truth is in any of it but himself and Torres were very good friends. No way though our new owners will stump up the kind of fee and wages for a player of his age.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Yeah I can't see Torres wanting to go back either. Did the stories last week get posted here about Reina approaching Comolli last season begging him to inquire about Torres coming back but the owners booted him before he got to float the idea? I'm not sure how much truth is in any of it but himself and Torres were very good friends. No way though our new owners will stump up the kind of fee and wages for a player of his age.

Opr

Dont know if he'd go back, as in I think his pride would stop him after he already left.

Also I dont think ye'd want him back at this stage.....unless ye wanna swap Suarez for him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Dont know if he'd go back, as in I think his pride would stop him after he already left.

Also I dont think ye'd want him back at this stage.....unless ye wanna swap Suarez for him :pac:

Do you think he still has it in him at this stage or is he done? I just don't get how the fall from grace has happened so quickly. I take the argument that he has played lots of football from the age of 17 and not many pacy players extend a career beyond his age but he used to be one of the best finishers in the business. That has nothing to do with burning people but he seems to have completely lost that too. He could finish all sorts of chances and even hit worldies from every angle which you just don't lose as a player. The below is my favourite goal from him which was just a guy in top form with so much confidence that he seemed to be able to finish anyway he wanted. I just don't get how he seems to be struggling so badly.

Opr

Do you think he still has it in him at this stage or is he done? I just don't get how the fall from grace has happened so quickly. I take the argument that he has played lots of football from the age of 17 and not many pacy players extend a career beyond his age but he used to be one of the best finishers in the business. That has nothing to do with burning people but he seems to have completely lost that too. He could finish all sorts of chances and even hit worldies from every angle which you just don't lose as a player. The below is my favourite goal from him which was just a guy in top form with so much confidence that he seemed to be able to finish anyway he wanted. I just don't get how he seems to be struggling so badly.

Opr

3 domestic and 1 national manager, plus 1 billionaire and thousands of fans are wondering the same!

My favourite goal is the one he scored against us just before he signed.

he cuts inside and scores a super shot (at 4.0)

Where has that player gone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUAZtq6wsAA&feature=related

Aquila wrote: »
    :eek:

Suarez is a good player. I'd have him in a heart beat anyway.

Opr

Cant put my finger on it TBH. Hes shown glimpses of his talent with us but not enough to warrant his price tag. I think he can still do it with us but he has to be a CF and nothing else, not dropping deep not going wide and not looking to be involved too much with the build up play.

Its not his way at all I know but its what we need from him now. Weve so many players that use the ball that Torres shoild be just a CF. With Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Moses we've players that can all dictate play and that he just needs to be there to score.

His confidence has suffered but he also at times looks uninterested in playing, Id love for him to be a hit in the long term though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Cant put my finger on it TBH. Hes shown glimpses of his talent with us but not enough to warrant his price tag.

To be fair, he hasn't shown enough to warrant being worth 10 million, for 50 he's been a catastrophic disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Good to keep Luiz on a long deal.

I dont think its good he has signed for another 5 yrs he is a liability he always seems to be running around like a headless chicken......

• Advertisement

S28382 wrote: »
    I dont think its good he has signed for another 5 yrs he is a liability he always seems to be running around like a headless chicken......

Lucky for Chelsea you dont take care of the contracts. Replacing him isnt an option and losing him to another club would be bad for the club too.

Lucky for Chelsea you dont take care of the contracts. Replacing him isnt an option and losing him to another club would be bad for the club too.

His challenge on Walters today was a disgrace he seems to get a rush of blood to the head way too often and he is a clumsy player. There is plenty of other centre backs out there that chelsea would have no bothers buying its not like money is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

S28382 wrote: »
    His challenge on Walters today was a disgrace he seems to get a rush of blood to the head way too often and he is a clumsy player. There is plenty of other centre backs out there that chelsea would have no bothers buying its not like money is an issue.

These "other" centre backs you speak of, do they have super awesome curly haired afros?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Torres is obviously a concern and I'd be surprised if we didnt go into the market in Jan to get some extra security upfront
    Torres has a dozen or so games to prove he's going to be indispensable for a couple of seasons. Otherwise he's going to be second string to a January purchase, if indeed he's not shipped out.

Can he handle the pressure? Does he want to? I really doubt it. I think at this stage he just wants an easier gig at a decent club in La Liga.

McDave wrote: »
    Torres has a dozen or so games to prove he's going to be indispensable for a couple of seasons. Otherwise he's going to be second string to a January purchase, if indeed he's not shipped out.

Can he handle the pressure? Does he want to? I really doubt it. I think at this stage he just wants an easier gig at a decent club in La Liga.

Well yesterday was one match where we got the tactics totally wrong and made it very easy for Stoke.
    We played with no width, so Stoke only had to defend a narrow channel in the centre. Torres likes to run onto balls, but as we had no one getting behind the defence, that wasnt going to happen.
    All 3 attacking players we played (Mata, Hazard and Oscar) all like to come inside and all are natural No10's
    We should have dropped Hazard or Oscar (Oscar maybe cos we know that Stoke are physical) and played Moses, our one natural winger
    Instead we relied on our full backs pushing up but cole was handled well up until the goal
    In the end we got away with it
    And we deffo need a different kind of striker to offer something else.
    I still believe strongly in Sturridge. He is dynamic, uses width and can do the unexepcted, love to see him get a few games in the middle or played out right, which he doesnt like but he does offer width abit with no defending

Oh heres RDM's confirmation on my analysis!

On playing Oscar, Eden Hazard and Juan Mata in the same side
    'It's the first time we have tried it, it certainly needs more work and practice, to tactically integrate them into our system.

'I thought today it worked very well, but it will take time for them to know each other better. I want them to have mobility and rotation, they are very intelligent at finding free space, we lacked a bit of width at times so we needed our full backs to provide us with that.'

Looks like Moses will start against Wolves
    On Victor Moses
    'He came on against Queens Park Rangers, and again today. He probably has a good chance to start in the next game. It's a good chance for us to introduce some of our new signings. We signed him in the last couple of days of the transfer window and then it was the international break, so it's not like he's been with us for a long time.'

TheStook wrote: »
    These "other" centre backs you speak of, do they have super awesome curly haired afros?

Yes one of them is sideshow bob and his hair is more out of control than luiz's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Was at the match yesterday and would say we probably deserved the 3 points but was tough going.
    Positives I took from the match was Cahill , Oscar, Ramires, and Moses.

Cahill, IMO, should be first choice as cm and pair JT /Luiz / Ivan with him.

Ramires ibrought energy and mobility to that area which seems to be lacking when lamps and Mikel are paired together.

Oscar is class and again IMO will be the fulcrum of the team for the next few years, he has it all but could do with a bit of bulking up to deal with the more physical requirements of the pl.

Only got to see few minutes of Moses but he gave much needed width and think he will be a very valuable member of the team not just a squad player.

Negatives were Torres and Luiz. Torres was ineffective and Luiz can be so reckless and wasteful with the ball, also a very lucky boy not to have seen red.

Techless wrote: »
    Was at the match yesterday and would say we probably deserved the 3 points but was tough going.
    Positives I took from the match was Cahill , Oscar, Ramires, and Moses.

Cahill, IMO, should be first choice as cm and pair JT /Luiz / Ivan with him.

Ramires ibrought energy and mobility to that area which seems to be lacking when lamps and Mikel are paired together.

Oscar is class and again IMO will be the fulcrum of the team for the next few years, he has it all but could do with a bit of bulking up to deal with the more physical requirements of the pl.

Only got to see few minutes of Moses but he gave much needed width and think he will be a very valuable member of the team not just a squad player.

Negatives were Torres and Luiz. Torres was ineffective and Luiz can be so reckless and wasteful with the ball, also a very lucky boy not to have seen red.

And this is why i dont think he should of been given a new deal he will cost us games with his crazy decisions. I would agree with you about Cahill he deserves a good run in the team and it might give our defence a bit more confidence knowing that the wavy haired one wont be getting a sudden rush of blood to the head at any stage in the game.

According to twitter John Terry has retired from international football

@danroan: Terry retires from England: "I feel The FA, have made my position with the national team untenable."
    Representing and captaining my country is what I dreamed of as a boy and it has been a truly great honour."

EDIT: Sky running with the story now so must be true, can't say I'm shocked tbh he's been treated like **** by the FA for the last few years, good news for Chelsea I suppose

• Advertisement

Englands lose is our gain. They ha e some good young CB's though, Cahill, Smalling, Jones they'll be sorted for awhile yet.

Englands lose is our gain. They ha e some good young CB's though, Cahill, Smalling, Jones they'll be sorted for awhile yet.

That's true but as much as JT is hated I don't think any England fan would say he's never given 100% and being one of their top performers for a number of years now

True hes always been there for England when needed. Still though, might mean a few games a year more with us.

Sad day when a quality player and leader like JT is hounded out.
    Fair play to him giving them the 2 fingers. Bunch of doddling old men

Sad day when a quality player and leader like JT is hounded out.
    Fair play to him giving them the 2 fingers. Bunch of doddling old men

I'm surprised its taken him so long, which makes ya think, has he been advised to retire before a hefty ban comes his way? I hope thats not the case, it would be great to see him found not guilty by this committee just to see the reaction of the FA.

Well if the FA do ban him he'll still be banned domestically but at least he wont ha e to deal with England teams and call ups. Having no affiliation with England Im happy hes gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

If he is found guilty this could be his last year at the club.

Fast track route to coaching??

Is Terry being investigated for a Racial slur or bringing the game into disrespute? Surely it couldn't be the race thing if he's already been found innocent in court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

He will wind down his career and take the plunge into managing eventually.

He isn't the player he used to be and moving him on after he is found guilty could be a handy excuse to get rid.

We usually take a tough line with people who are found guilty of crimes. JT might find himself forced out instead of being sacked.

• Advertisement

Doubt it. The club will back him. He still has 2 or 3 years at the top. He hasnt declined that much, he just needs someone with a bit of speed alongside him.
    Last england game he was immense

Plus he leadership skills wont be so easily replaced.

England is one thing, but Chelsea very much another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Is Terry being investigated for a Racial slur or bringing the game into disrespute? Surely it couldn't be the race thing if he's already been found innocent in court?

He was found innocent based on the criminal court guidelines where a guilty verdict could only be delivered when it is beyond reasonable doubt.

He still has to go through the same F.A. hearing process that Suarez did. This was delayed until the criminal court delivered its verdict. A guilty verdict here does not need to be as unequivocal as Suarez discovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I doubt Terry gives a flying fiddlers what verdict the FA throw at him at this stage to be honest.

Panthro wrote: »
    I doubt Terry gives a flying fiddlers what verdict the FA throw at him at this stage to be honest.

If I got off in a court of law I wouldnt be too bothered with what the FA do either.

I expect him to get a ban but I dont know if he'll contest it if he does, maybe he will given thats hes retired and doesnt want to be seeing associated with the FA if it goes to court again, I'm just guessing here though.

Away to arsenal on Saturday midday lads, what do ye reckon?

Take a point right now? Our record against the teams in and around us has been shocking since AVB and then RDM took over.

I'm hoping we can remain unbeaten anyway but its going to be a real test against a good Arsenal side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

If I got off in a court of law I wouldnt be too bothered with what the FA do either.

I expect him to get a ban but I dont know if he'll contest it if he does, maybe he will given thats hes retired and doesnt want to be seeing associated with the FA if it goes to court again, I'm just guessing here though.

I think he's very concerned at what the FA do TBH.
    That's why he issued the statement yesterday.
    He's obviously bitter that he is being tried again.
    I think he'll probably get a 4 game ban from the FA.
    Not the end of the world for Terry considering his age and the miles he has on the clock.
    Could look at the positives of it and use it as an opportunity to rest.

As ya said Amiable, if he does get banned and I happen to think he will, when its up, at least he'll be free when international week rolls around, no travelling and less likely to pick up knocks.

As soon as the court made their decision then the FA should have dealt with it in reasonable time, dragging it on this long is a joke for all parties involved.

As ya said Amiable, if he does get banned and I happen to think he will, when its up, at least he'll be free when international week rolls around, no travelling and less likely to pick up knocks.

As soon as the court made their decision then the FA should have dealt with it in reasonable time, dragging it on this long is a joke for all parties involved.

I presume the FA are taking their time covering their own arse to make sure there are no law suits to come out of it.

amiable wrote: »
    I presume the FA are taking their time covering their own arse to make sure there are no law suits to come out of it.

If hes found guilty, what are the chances of going to the court of arbitration for sport?

He could present evidence found in the court case so as you said, the FA must be working to tie off all loose ends to stop JT going down this route.

If he does get a Suarez-esque 8 game ban then Cahill/Ivan/Luiz should be enough cover and if he does get found guilty by the FA, it could see him struggle to get back into the team ahead of the other 3.

All guess work though.

If hes found guilty, what are the chances of going to the court of arbitration for sport?

He could present evidence found in the court case so as you said, the FA must be working to tie off all loose ends to stop JT going down this route.

If he does get a Suarez-esque 8 game ban then Cahill/Ivan/Luiz should be enough cover and if he does get found guilty by the FA, it could see him struggle to get back into the team ahead of the other 3.

All guess work though.

I don't think there's much chance of that.
    If I were Terry I'd just take the punishment and use it to his advantage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement