Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

torres1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Thats the one!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

6th place. Absolute ****e. Nothing to play for sunday.

Blackburn relegated and were 6th. Expecting a snooze fest.

I might bring my boots and see if i can get a run out. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

God Romeu had a mare. Still love the guy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

That was shocking, we never really looked like we cared, just a formality.

The midfield was awful and made extra bad by giving liverpool 3 goals through poor defending. Still at least we have the fa cup and a champion league final coming up:)

Not one player played well. Torres was unlucky not to have scored same for ivanovic but we could have lost by 5,6 easily.

It was the worse performance from the team ive seen in a long time. It was a bit of nothing game and RDM's selection reflected that.

Fairplay ro Pool rhough they went out and won their last home game well and were much the better side throughout.

We have to win the UCL now or else rhos season really is a cluster fcuk of bad results and terrible performances.

Utd at home, Arsenal at home, Wigan away, City away, Pool away, Newcastle at home.

Reading the small print that was RDM's 9th away match in all comps and weve won just 1.

The fact that I'm not even disapointed about the loss says it all, a big pile of 'meh'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I'm ****ing gutted, same as I'd be if anyother team put four past us and we gave that performance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Sad to see Essien put in a performance like that. A shadow of a shadow at this stage......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

:pac:
    gavredking wrote: »
    6th place. Absolute ****e. Nothing to play for sunday.

Blackburn relegated and were 6th. Expecting a snooze fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Well you couldn't do any worse than what was on the pitch in blue tonight.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Don't think I've seen Too many games where Turnbull hasn't made a mistake which has cost us a goal. He really is awful. And I think Courtois is probably too good to be playing second fiddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

it looked like they couldnt give a fiddler's, had partied a bit too hard on the old Bud and are putting all egg's in one basket for CL final - what benefit came from putting out a second string and getting hammered? resting players? dont make me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

While most of the damage was done earlier in the season, the fact is had we won the last 2 games we'd be 3rd on goal difference heading into the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yep - not surprised. The battle for fourth was lost when AVB was replaced by RDM. And thats no reflection on RDM. Hopefully he gets us ready for one last epic game again Bayern and earns himself that contract.
    Crackle wrote: »
    While most of the damage was done earlier in the season, the fact is had we won the last 2 games we'd be 3rd on goal difference heading into the last game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

And this is why I don't think RDM will be given the job permanently.

Only thing that matters no is winning the final. I dont care about the peeformance once the result is right them we can look to next season.

If we dont win it I fear for RDM and a lot of the players.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

In Fairness , Robbie said tonight that we have played a game nearly every 3 days since he took over , really cant expect to be winging all before us without strength and depth in the squad which we no longer have unfortunately .

Hopefully we build up the squad again this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Did Bertrand come up through the youth ranks with you or was he bought in?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Dr Galen wrote: »

He started his career at Gillingham although he will have been with the Club 7 years in July, so he has basically gone through schoolboys level to youth to reserves and now is starting to push the first team.

He is still only 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Signed from Gillingham when he was 15 or 16 I think.

Shocking stuff tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Fair play to Liverpool tonight. Really shows lack of squad players in Chelsea. Essien when he first joined i thought he easy going to take lampard place. After Essien knee went he has not been near his best where as Lampard has been great.
    Hope a lot of dead wood will be kicked out of Chelsea after that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

A real shame to see the current Essien. On his day he was a World beater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

He started his career at Gillingham although he will have been with the Club 7 years in July, so he has basically gone through schoolboys level to youth to reserves and now is starting to push the first team.

He is still only 22

Looks like a tidy player. Was wondering about before and meant to ask. What do those of you in the know think of him?

Not hearing much about McEachran these days, has he even gone out on loan?

I know it's being done to death but from the outside it does appear that the average age of the squad is a bit concerning. I know you have gone some way already this season to address this with De Bruyne and Marin coming in who I'd both rate as good prospects for the first team but Lukaku seems to regressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Looks like a tidy player. Was wondering about before and meant to ask. What do those of you in the know think of him?

I know it's being done to death but from the outside it does appear that the average age of the squad is a bit concerning. I know you have gone some way already this season to address this with De Bruyne and Marin coming in who I'd both rate as good prospects for the first team but Lukaku seems to regressed.

I really like Bertrand, think he could be Cole's replacement. He has done really well this season when needed.

McEachran is on loan at Swansea but hasn't played much at all.

Lukaku will go out on loan next season I would imagine.

Bertrand will be a future star for us , great attitude and ability to match it .

Josh didn't look out of place when playing in our first team and am very surprised he has not gotten more game time at Swansea , I still see him as being a big part of our plans .

Lukaku needs game time, should of went on loan this season but I believe he is being mentored by drogba so that can't be too bad for the kid but it does seem as there has bean a season wasted for him . I'd love to see him at one of the Newley promoted sides next season where he could be playing every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

My God, this still could be the worst season for Chelsea FC ...

One thing i didnt like either tonight was we switched to a 4-4-2 and took off Danny, he would have loved to play through the centre. Lukaku was never gonna be a battering ram option.

Good to see him get game time though. Hinself and a couple of others, Romeu, Josh Mac etc etc need more games at the highest level and not just 10minutes here and there.

the_monkey wrote: »

Well its going to end 1 of 2 ways, worse season since Roman joined or best season since Roman joined.

Either way, we as club most change across the board, we are so far off fighting for a championship its not even funny.

Yes last nights game was pretty much a nothing affair as was emphasised by RDM's 8 changes from the FA cup winning starting 11 but the guys coming in should have performed better.

Essien, could cost us in the UCL Final. Bayern are very quick around the pitch but we're not exactly blessed with options in there at the moment.

I'd like to start the UCL final as such ,

Cech

Bos
    Cahill
    Luiz
    Cole

Mikel
    Lamps

Torres
    Mata
    Kalou

Drogba

A number of reasons for sticking Torres out on the right.
    1) He would be a good option to have out there.
    2) More willing to use the ball for his team then Sturridge.
    3) If it all goes tits up we can make it a 4-4-2, throw Torres up top with Drogba and shuffle Kalou right and Mata left.
    4) We dont have to play Malouda. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Well its going to end 1 of 2 ways, worse season since Roman joined or best season since Roman joined.

Either way, we as club most change across the board, we are so far off fighting for a championship its not even funny.

Yes last nights game was pretty much a nothing affair as was emphasised by RDM's 8 changes from the FA cup winning starting 11 but the guys coming in should have performed better.

Essien, could cost us in the UCL Final. Bayern are very quick around the pitch but we're not exactly blessed with options in there at the moment.

I'd like to start the UCL final as such ,

Cech

Bos
    Cahill
    Luiz
    Cole

Mikel
    Lamps

Torres
    Mata
    Kalou

Drogba

A number of reasons for sticking Torres out on the right.
    1) He would be a good option to have out there.
    2) More willing to use the ball for his team then Sturridge.
    3) If it all goes tits up we can make it a 4-4-2, throw Torres up top with Drogba and shuffle Kalou right and Mata left.
    4) We dont have to play Malouda. ;)

Torres isn't the best defensively though, especially for winning headers... but I agree that he's our best option. Essien's not up for it and Sturridge is a liability. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

As an aside, imagine if you had suggested starting Kalou over Sturridge last September/October for such a big game. It's been a very strange season. We could have also have done with Anelka for this game... and Alex (but I guess we then wouldn't have bought Cahill)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

the_monkey wrote: »

Since Roman bought us.

But then if we do win the Cl, thats a bloody brilliant season

and we hit the crossbar, and then they got a lucky deflection off our player into the net.

It just showed again, we dont have strength in depth anymore and the rebuilding in summer is the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Shocking display last night, what was up with Terry??? worst performance i have ever seen from him.

Ivanovic again high lighted again how poor he can be at marking as a CB and IMO should only be played as a RB unless no other CBs available.

Ferreira was poor last night but was a great servent to the club, time to move him on.

Turnbull for the life of me i cannot see how we ever signed him! Disaster of a GK..who the hell decided we buy him?? Get rid of him!!

Bertrand again showed how good he is at such a young age and himself and PVA should take care of our LB position for many years to come.

Oriel, terrible performance last night, again must be the worst shift iv seen him give. Might be a lack of match practice at his young age but still one for the near future.

Essien Essien Essien.......:( what a fall from grace. On his day he was one of the best midfielders on the planet. Time to move him on, cash in on him as we have Mikel ready to take his place.

Im worring the last few games about Sturridge, what has happend to him? He is way too big for his boots, fine he is played out of position but he has to play for the team and not for himself. Id hold on to him next season and see what we can do with him, play him trough the middle in a few games.

Malouda, i wont even comment on because il just bust a vein. One of his better performances last night but still poor.

A lot of dead wood in our squad and is more than time we got rid and replaced with young hungry players. Im not convinced by De Byrune or Marin but if we signed players like Fellaini/Hazard/Lucas i would be delighted. I just hope we dont spend a fortune on decent players when we could buy top quality players.

Since Roman bought us.

It'll be our worst season since '01/'02 where we finished 6th and lost the FA cup final. So our worst season for over 10 years.

I just can't believe the team selection last night, 4th was a real possibility.

I think if we lose the CL final Di Matteo won't get the job, it was his call last night to rest those players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

PeterTwo wrote: »
    It'll be our worst season since '01/'02 where we finished 6th and lost the FA cup final. So our worst season for over 10 years.

I think if we lose the CL final Di Matteo won't get the job, it was his call last night to rest those players.

And what if Cole/Drogba/Mikel etc got injured? Tbh ye can't afford to lose anyone for the CL final. The writing was on the wall after the Newcastle loss.

If ye win CL and FA cup can't really say it's ye're worst season since then tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I disagree, it wasnt in our own hands but dependant on 2 other team results, so I would say we had only a 30% chance.
    I think he made nearly the right call. I would have started Mata and not Malouda.
    The league position was almost gone before RDM, AVB was sacked when we were 4th. I think RDM could have got better results against spurs, arsenal, newcastle and fulham. And thats why I dont think he should get the job, even if he wins the CL. Roman is waiting for Pep, so he will probably get the job for a year at first if he does win it

4th was long gone and our loss against Newcastle ended our top four finish. For use to have finished 4th we needed to beat Newcastle and win all our remaining games while also relying on Spurs to lose.

Di Matteo was spot on with his selection last night except i would have like to see Sturridge start up top on his own.....oh an Turnbull in goal was a mistake...should have started Hilario.

what a day wrote: »
    4th was long gone and our loss against Newcastle ended our top four finish. For use to have finished 4th we needed to beat Newcastle and win all our remaining games while also relying on Spurs to lose.

Di Matteo was spot on with his selection last night except i would have like to see Sturridge start up top on his own.....oh an Turnbull in goal was a mistake...should have started Hilario.

If Newcastle and Spurs drew next weekend and we had beaten 'Pool and Blackburn we'd get 4th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

If Newcastle and Spurs drew next weekend and we had beaten 'Pool and Blackburn we'd get 4th!

Can't see Spurs failing to beat a team on the beach at home last day of the season tbf

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Can't see Spurs failing to beat a team on the beach at home last day of the season tbf

This is why lasts night game was basically a game most, including Liverpol fans, had written off before it began.

It would have been nice to beat them but to lose by that amount of goals and that manner makes it harder to take.

4th was never going to happen after we lost to Newcastle, it was basically between the FA and UCL Finals as to where we'd get any success.

RDM might as well have his stuff packed up because come May 20th, if we're not champions of Europe theres no way he'll get the job.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling RDM will get the job for next season and Roman will probably try get Guardiola signed up for the floowing season. Let Pep sit back on his sabbatical while keeping a close eye on Chelsea and prepairing him self for taking charge of us.

Personally i think Di Matteo would do a great job with us if he is given some funds to bring him the players he needs.

I have a feeling RDM will get the job for next season and Roman will probably try get Guardiola signed up for the floowing season. Let Pep sit back on his sabbatical while keeping a close eye on Chelsea and prepairing him self for taking charge of us.

Personally i think Di Matteo would do a great job with us if he is given some funds to bring him the players he needs.

Thats an option certainly but I'm not sure if Pep would take us on.

Its certainly going to be the most interesting summer we've ever seen under Roman as we need a few new players and potentially a new manager, actually seems like a regualr summer now I think of it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Where's all the Pep Guardiola talk coming from? There's no way he'll take over Chelsea after Barca, pay cheque or no pay cheque. He'll have his pick of the top jobs when he comes back, he won't want a spin on the Chelsea managerial merry go round and I can't say I'd blame him. I'm sure he'll be keeping a close eye on the United hot seat which will surely open up soon.

In my opinion we have a good squad once we cull the wasted players in the squad. Once we move on a few we can sign two or three new players to take us further. Using Di Matteos 4 - 2 - 3 -1 formation il place the players we have that are worth a place in the squad next season.

Players in caps are the starting 11 and rest are subs
    Question marks are places that need to be filled.

hilario

CECH

Bosingwa--Hutch--Luiz----Bertrand
    IVAN
    CAHILL---TERRY----COLE

Oriel----Mikel

LUIZ----LAMPARD

Kalou
    ???????
    Marin---
    RAMIRES
    MATA
    ??????

Sturridge

TORRES

Essien
    Drogba
    Malouda
    Meireles
    Ferreria
    Turnbull
    Benayoun
    Bruma
    Gorden can all leave or be sold

De Bruyne McEachran and Kakuta im not sure what to do with.
    McEacran needs to be playing regular.
    De Bruyne is un proven in the PL and Kakuta im not sure if he is going to make it with us?

Lukaku

In my opinion we have a good squad once we cull the wasted players in the squad. Once we move on a few we can sign two or three new players to take us further. Using Di Matteos 4 - 2 - 3 -1 formation il place the players we have that are worth a place in the squad next season.

Players in caps are the starting 11 and rest are subs
    Question marks are places that need to be filled.

hilarioCourtois

CECH

Bosingwa--Hutch--LuizCahill----Bertrand
    IVAN
    CAHILLLUIZ---TERRY----COLE

Oriel----MikelJosh Mac

LUIZMIKEL----LAMPARD

Kalou----???????Kakuta---MarinDe Bruyne
    RAMIRES
    MATA
    ??????MARIN

Sturridge

TORRES

Essien
    Drogba
    Malouda
    Meireles
    Ferreria
    Turnbull
    Benayoun
    Bruma
    Gorden can all leave or be sold

De Bruyne McEachran and Kakuta im not sure what to do with.
    McEacran needs to be playing regular.
    De Bruyne is un proven in the PL and Kakuta im not sure if he is going to make it with us?

Lukaku

I've made a few edits to your team above to what I think we could do, thats not taking into consideration any new players as I think we'll be in for Hazard, Fellaini.

Lukaku would do well on loan in the EPL.

If we are in for Hazard then there is talks of De Bruyne going to Lille for a years loan.

Turnbull will hopefully be gone, keep Hilario as 3rd choice and promote Courtois to back up, although hes good enough to start and has had a good year with A.Madrid and their now in the Europa league final for the 2nd time in 3 years.

I've put Luiz into the team as hes a much better player then Cahill and JT and he has to play one of Cahill/JT to play with Luiz and JT is better then Cahill.

For the same reason I've put Mikel into the starting 11 as hes improved this year more so then recent years and we really rely on him in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Ramires is wasted on the RW and I'd love to play him in along side Mikel but Lamps still has performances left in him so rotating between those two could work.

Marin will start left wing and it will be between him, De Bruyne and Ramires to rotate between the 2 wide positions, Kalou might well be sold as Sturridge can cover wide if we have to.

Torres to start with Sturridge back up, I'd love if Drogba was around for another year but he may only perform in les then 50% of his games.

We have young guys like Bamford, Kalas, Delac, Ince, Clifford all waiting in the wings.

Good post gav!

Nice to see people planning what should be done reather then random comments like buy this buy that.

Id love to see Luiz start in the defensive midfield role. I think its perfect for him and i actually think he would be better than Fellaini at it (im a massive Fellaini fan!). I also think Cahill and Terry have a great Partnership and communicate easily. Add to that Cole as their fellow england defender and we look solid.

Ramires played brilliant as both a right and left midfielder when asked, his pace and skill on the ball can stretch defences all match long.

While on the Terry subject there is a few rumours floating around that Hodgson told Terry yesterday he will not be in the Euro squad which is why he was terrybull last night.:confused:

Madness to choose ferdinand over Terry if true!
    Englands defence should be Richards Cahill Terry Cole if you ask me

Good post gav!

Nice to see people planning what should be done reather then random comments like buy this buy that.

Id love to see Luiz start in the defensive midfield role. I think its perfect for him and i actually think he would be better than Fellaini at it (im a massive Fellaini fan!). I also think Cahill and Terry have a great Partnership and communicate easily. Add to that Cole as their fellow england defender and we look solid.

Ramires played brilliant as both a right and left midfielder when asked, his pace and skill on the ball can stretch defences all match long.

While on the Terry subject there is a few rumours floating around that Hodgson told Terry yesterday he will not be in the Euro squad which is why he was terrybull last night.:confused:

Madness to choose ferdinand over Terry if true!
    Englands defence should be Richards Cahill Terry Cole if you ask me

Agree with ya on all the points I've highlighted. I think Luiz could operate at DM, he could do the job easily. He has all the atributes to be able to do the job in there, hes got pace, hes good in the air, he reads the game well, his distrbution is excellent and he can carry the ball, he can be naive with tackling but that has been curbed of late.

On Terry, if he has been dropped by England then thats Englands lose, TBH hes still the best CB around even if people dont like him.

If it has come down to either JT or Rio then Hodgson could have made a mistake, dropping JT will split the camp but not as much as if he was to be included IMO.

Realsitically Chelsea should have 3 players in the squad, Lamps, Cole, Cahill, theres room for another 2, JT and Sturridge but I wouldnt be surprised if both were to miss out.

Look at United, their representation should include at least 3, Rooney, Rio, Carrick and could also include 3 more, Smalling, Jones, Welbeck.

The English side could well be split after the squad has been announced.

JT did look shuck last night, he was far from his usual best and he looked well out of his depth and didnt offer us anything last night, he cost us 3 goals, Suarez megged himfor the 1st and cannoned the ball off Essien, Slipped for Henderson's and left Carroll a free header across the box for the 3rd.

It really irritates me when people say RDM should not get the job and then don't name who they think should get it. People seem to think the grass is always greener on the other side:rolleyes:

As for pep, I really don't know why anyone at chelsea would want him at the club. He was the perfect manager for barca given their style and the players avaliable but the skills needed to manage barca are completely different to any other job in football so being a success at barca is relatively easy with that squad. If he was at chelsea he would be another AVB and I don't want to go through that sh!te again.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    It really irritates me when people say RDM should not get the job and then don't name who they think should get it. People seem to think the grass is always greener on the other side:rolleyes:

As for pep, I really don't know why anyone at chelsea would want him at the club. He was the perfect manager for barca given their style and the players avaliable but the skills needed to manage barca are completely different to any other job in football so being a success at barca is relatively easy with that squad. If he was at chelsea he would be another AVB and I don't want to go through that sh!te again.

Well I wouldnt have sacked Ancellotti so we wouldnt have gone through AVB and RDM since then.

If RDM doesnt get the job I want Mourhino, whether its possible is another thing as I dont think he'll leave until he wins the UCL with Real.

I dont want Pep, unless he brings Messi and Iniesta. :P

I would have kept AVB to being honest, he was given a blue print, was sticking to it as best he could and was turfed out, that guy is going to go on and win plenty for clubs around Europe and we axed him way to early.

I dont know who is going to come in but even if RDM wins the UCL hes not a shoe in for the job, there will be a few people whispering in Romans ear as to regards the next manager, I would give it to RDM as the players have taken to him more so then AVB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Was reading an interview with RDM over the weekend and he comes across really well. Loves the game and has listened and learned from some of the great managers he played under. Stressed that playing to your squads strengths was more important than playing to a system, and is a huge believer in constant individual communication with players.
    After reading it was more upbeat about his chances of becoming a top-notch manager in years to come, hopefully with us.
    Well I wouldnt have sacked Ancellotti so we wouldnt have gone through AVB and RDM since then.

If RDM doesnt get the job I want Mourhino, whether its possible is another thing as I dont think he'll leave until he wins the UCL with Real.

I dont want Pep, unless he brings Messi and Iniesta. :P

I would have kept AVB to being honest, he was given a blue print, was sticking to it as best he could and was turfed out, that guy is going to go on and win plenty for clubs around Europe and we axed him way to early.

I dont know who is going to come in but even if RDM wins the UCL hes not a shoe in for the job, there will be a few people whispering in Romans ear as to regards the next manager, I would give it to RDM as the players have taken to him more so then AVB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement