Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Ashley Cole has just tweted this (from a verified account)

Ashley ColeTheRealAC3
    Hahahahaa, well done #fa I lied did I, #BUNCHOFTWATS

Expand Collapse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just thinking about it and I wouldn't be surprised in the FA tread softly around Cole despite this outburst. They've pretty much accused him on lying to their panel and by extention, accused him of perjury in front of a court a law. If they try to come down hard on him, he could very easily push back and sue them for slander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Well Rio Ferdinand got away with a fine for a out and out racist tweet, unless anyone really believes his choc ice reference was anything else, so calling twats twats should only be a fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

The FA have made a complete rocks if this, will be interesting to see if they decide to do anything about Ash. I seem to remember the magistrate said Ash was a plausible witness, though reluctant that being the case he could well have a good slander case cooking. Should be interesting at least.

As for JT take the ban from today and move on misses Spurs and ManU games but unless he wins the appeal which is unlikely they are gone now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The FA have made a balls of this but they had to hand down a ban JT and by extension calling out Cole on a lie backing JT up.

Fairply to Cole for hitting out, lets see what the FA do about it.

I predict a warning about future conduct and nothing else.

TBH, I'm not pushed about what Ferdinand did, he only re-tweeted what a guy had sent to him, yes it still implies a racial issue but is not as bad as him tweeting it himself.

Best thing to do is get on with it, JT to take his ban and try move on.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The FA have made a balls of this but they had to hand down a ban JT and by extension calling out Cole on a lie backing JT up.

Fairply to Cole for hitting out, lets see what the FA do about it.

I predict a warning about future conduct and nothing else.

TBH, I'm not pushed about what Ferdinand did, he only re-tweeted what a guy had sent to him, yes it still implies a racial issue but is not as bad as him tweeting it himself.

Best thing to do is get on with it, JT to take his ban and try move on.

The whole argument that was initially levelled against JT was that you can't repeat stuff if its not acceptable. E.G. even his defence of repeating what Anton Ferdinand said to him was not seen by the FA as a legitimate defence. So why is repeating a tweet, and agreeing with that tweet any less objectionable?

dooferoaks wrote: »
    The whole argument that was initially levelled against JT was that you can't repeat stuff if its not acceptable. E.G. even his defence of repeating what Anton Ferdinand said to him was not seen by the FA as a legitimate defence. So why is repeating a tweet, and agreeing with that tweet any less objectionable?

I agree, RIo shouldnt have got involved at all. TBH the case had nothign to do with him.

In Cole and JT's defence they were both involved that day and Cole decided to defend him whther he was right or wrong to is another matter and Rio shouldnt have re-tweeted what he did.

But in saying all that I think its time to move in from it. This is likely to go around in circles for a bit longer but I'd prefer if it was just all dealt with it, the original incident is nearly a year old at this stage.

TBH, having JT missing the Utd and Spurs game wont be to much of a lose with Cahill and Luiz both fit but if Cole was missing we'd be knackered.

I agree, RIo shouldnt have got involved at all. TBH the case had nothign to do with him.

In Cole and JT's defence they were both involved that day and Cole decided to defend him whther he was right or wrong to is another matter and Rio shouldnt have re-tweeted what he did.

But in saying all that I think its time to move in from it. This is likely to go around in circles for a bit longer but I'd prefer if it was just all dealt with it, the original incident is nearly a year old at this stage.

TBH, having JT missing the Utd and Spurs game wont be to much of a lose with Cahill and Luiz both fit but if Cole was missing we'd be knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Aquila wrote: »
    Is the norwich game live on tv tomorrow lads?

On setanta sports

Anyone there?:pac:

been playing with the utd fans! ;)

Are they been good?:P

Some have a great sense of humour, others not so much!

I wonder why they arent more of us.
    Even though Liverpools glory days are far behind, they still make up most of the irish support, you would thought more would be Chelsea now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Some have a great sense of humour, others not so much!

I wonder why they arent more of us.
    Even though Liverpools glory days are far behind, they still make up most of the irish support, you would thought more would be Chelsea now!

Maybe this year there will be more now that the typical boring long ball chelsea system has changed. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Looking for an exciting lineup today

hopefully we bleed a few youngsters and stick with ramires oscar hazard mata torres :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Awesome, didn't realise Cesar was so decent looking, really assembling a very hot squad at the moment!

Although I think I may be the only one here who cares about such things :)

Awesome, didn't realise Cesar was so decent looking, really assembling a very hot squad at the moment!

Although I think I may be the only one here who cares about such things :)

Well the Club Doctor is still appealing enough for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

ah yes the lovley Eva gets a big cheer when she runs on to the pitch.

Good win wish Torres was more confident when bearing down on goal

Former Liverpool and Man City midfielder Dietmar Hamann on Final Score: "I had my doubts about Di Matteo in the summer. But to build a team, work with them in the pre-season then start well is a whole different matter. I'm really impressed with the signings he made and they look championship contenders."

Garth Crooks, BBC Final Score
    "Di Matteo looks as comfortable in that job as any of his predecessors. I just wonder whether he'll be there after this season. That's a shame, because I think he's earned a long contract. But what if Abramovich can get Pep Guardiola? But Di Matteo will manage a big team, because he's proved he can managed big egos in a dressing room."

Plus SSN, RDM says that Ashley will be discplined for the tweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

All looks well so far.. next few games are really difficult though.

Spurs (A) L
    Shakhtar (A) UCL
    Man Utd (H) L
    Man Utd (H) LC
    Swansea (A) L
    Shakhtar (H) UCL
    Liverpool (H) L
    WBA (A) L
    Juventus (A) UCL
    Man City (H) L

All from 20th October to 25th November.

What a crucial month.

After this, we will know what our side are really like and how good we really are..

All I see is games that we can win. Spurs away is the tough one in the league. Rest are at home. Id be hoping to beat City & Utd at the Bridge. Why not? We've a good team playing good football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

It's happened. I'm daring to dream that we could actually win this league, particularly if City continue to misfire and Fergie refuses to buy a quality CM.

On a side note, can we start calling Chelsea The Juan Mata Show? I've never seen a player in his mould dominate a game so profoundly. The whole attacking trio are performing well, but that lad is different class.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

I'm just wandering what any Chelsea fans on here think the club should do (if they should do anything) about the Terry/Cole situation?

Cole will get a fine from the club, that's ok, Terry will get his four match ban from the FA, club won't do anything else about it. If he hadn't been found innocent in a court of law it might have been different, but he was. Court of Law result trumps workplace tribunal result every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Cole will get a fine from the club, that's ok, Terry will get his four match ban from the FA, club won't do anything else about it. If he hadn't been found innocent in a court of law it might have been different, but he was. Court of Law result trumps workplace tribunal result every time.

The judge in the court of law said that he found it hard to believe Terry's version of events but he managed to create a enough doubt to get away with a not guilty verdict. i don't think anyone really thinks he was innocent.

greendom wrote: »
    The judge in the court of law said that he found it hard to believe Terry's version of events but he managed to create a enough doubt to get away with a not guilty verdict. i don't think anyone really thinks he was innocent.

Im not saying whether its right or wrong but its completely irrelevant to the club. It makes no difference how or why the verdict was reached, it just was. Virtually everyone will look at a decision made by a Court of Law as more important than a workplace disciplinary decision.

An interesting take on the subject from Brian Moore, Sports writer, former England Rugby Union player, lawyer.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ji0b3m

Im not saying whether its right or wrong but its completely irrelevant to the club. It makes no difference how or why the verdict was reached, it just was. Virtually everyone will look at a decision made by a Court of Law as more important than a workplace disciplinary decision.

An interesting take on the subject from Brian Moore, Sports writer, former England Rugby Union player, lawyer.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ji0b3m

you didn't mention Chelsea fan - hardly an independent judge on the matter.

• Advertisement

you didn't mention Chelsea fan - hardly an independent judge on the matter.

If you want to dismiss the points he makes you can, work away.

If you want to dismiss the points he makes you can, work away.

I'd give them more credence if there wasn't the obvious inherent bias. The FA committee, for example, were completely independent so I'd put more faith in their decision making (even though i think Terry got away lightly with a 4 match ban)

I'd give them more credence if there wasn't the obvious inherent bias. The FA committee, for example, were completely independent so I'd put more faith in their decision making (even though i think Terry got away lightly with a 4 match ban)

Just as Moore is, in your opinion clouded by bias, I would challenge most others making comment on it to deny their bias. Were you a fan of John Terry before this? Maybe we could all give more credence to peoples opinion if they didn't have obvious inherent bias. You can say the panel the FA commissioned were independent, and I am sure they were, you could say the same about the Court of Law.

Side show to my original point anyway, what will the club do about John Terry? Without court decision their choices would be difficult, with court decision, its much easier for them.

Just as Moore is, in your opinion clouded by bias, I would challenge most others making comment on it to deny their bias. Were you a fan of John Terry before this? Maybe we could all give more credence to peoples opinion if they didn't have obvious inherent bias. You can say the panel the FA commissioned were independent, and I am sure they were, you could say the same about the Court of Law.

Side show to my original point anyway, what will the club do about John Terry? Without court decision their choices would be difficult, with court decision, its much easier for them.

Never a fan of Terry even though i know he's a brilliant defender - same goes for Cole.

The club will do nothing about Terry unless the sponsors get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Was at the Norwich match yesterday, very comfortable win and good to watch. However, as I have said before, I don't like Mikel and lampard playing together, just not enough pace which against a better team would have been exploited. This is why, IMO, either Ramires or Romeu need to be there to provide that pace. The luxury of playing mata, hazard, Oscar etc means that those playing behind them have more work to do.
    Have to say it is a lot more enjoyable watching the blues playing this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I agree with GAV a few posts ago, we do have a very tough few fixtures starting to pile up but i think we should be looking to win/Draw most of them. If we get through this period and come out the other side in CL and top of the table il be delighted!

On another note i have to agree with Ramires the better option to Lamps in DM beside Mikel. Lamps and Oscar do work well though at switching roles randomely but i still think Ramires will catch on to it too and his energy and pace offer us so much more on counter attacks and defending.

Another shout out to Oriol, was great to see him get a game. Im looking forward to him getting more in the starting line up, he looks like he is going to be a powerfull DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Former Liverpool and Man City midfielder Dietmar Hamann on Final Score: "I had my doubts about Di Matteo in the summer. But to build a team, work with them in the pre-season then start well is a whole different matter. I'm really impressed with the signings he made and they look championship contenders."

Garth Crooks, BBC Final Score
    "Di Matteo looks as comfortable in that job as any of his predecessors. I just wonder whether he'll be there after this season. That's a shame, because I think he's earned a long contract. But what if Abramovich can get Pep Guardiola? But Di Matteo will manage a big team, because he's proved he can managed big egos in a dressing room."

Plus SSN, RDM says that Ashley will be discplined for the tweet

Would ignore anything that comes out of Crooks mouth after his disgraceful behaviour over the JT incident. How he can be so verment in his condemnation of JT and ignore Rio classifies him as a bigot to me.

Hopefully Ash wont get more than a one match ban at worst or perhaps a fine only. Understandable that you would react negatively to being called a liar but you need to count to 10 sometimes. That being siad if Bertrand is good enough to start a champions league final out of position he is good enough to start against Spurs and ManU in position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I wonder is Roman concerned over the whole PR aspect of all this bad publicity? I'm sure he will be continuing to work towards making Chelsea a worldwide brand, as big as Madrid, Barcelona and Man United.

Can't be helping matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I wish they'd shut up about all this JT / Ashley Cole cr*p ....

Any other club and the media would say nothing, but all this anti Chelsea cr*p so they are loving it.

really making a mountain out of a molehill at this stage, typical PC obsessed Britain ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

the_monkey wrote: »

Any other club and the media would say nothing, but all this anti Chelsea cr*p so they are loving it.

really making a mountain out of a molehill at this stage, typical PC obsessed Britain ...

To be fair there are lots of clubs fans who think there is a bias against their club.

What I would say is Ashley Cole's tweet seems to have deflected a lot of attention away from John Terry.

amiable wrote: »
    To be fair there are lots of clubs fans who think there is a bias against their club.

What I would say is Ashley Cole's tweet seems to have deflected a lot of attention away from John Terry.

and the beautiful Barca type football we are playing!

One pundit said we were the closest thing to Barca now!

Bit of an overkill but nice all the same!

Interesting next few games thats for sure

Yep, AVB would love, just love it! to put one over us!.

Attack I am quite happy with, defence not so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

and the beautiful Barca type football we are playing!

One pundit said we were the closest thing to Barca now!

Bit of an overkill but nice all the same!

Yes ! it was Alan Shearer on MOTD wasn't it ?

I was quite pleased with that .... despite being the polar opposite of a Boixo Nois

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I wonder is Roman concerned over the whole PR aspect of all this bad publicity? I'm sure he will be continuing to work towards making Chelsea a worldwide brand, as big as Madrid, Barcelona and Man United.

Can't be helping matters.
    For sure. Mourinho went out the door because success wasn't enough. It had to be done with style (Chelsea are no strangers to sexy football).

Physically Terry is on his last legs. After this season, Ashley Cole has one or two top seasons left in him. Both are great servants, but part of an old guard which is being moved on. And with it both the reputation for dourness and controversy.

I'm sure Abramovich has a strategy - establish Chelsea as the no. 1 team in England and a permanent European force. It's now on the cusp of being realised. The new Chelsea will have great players like the old one did, but there'll be less player power, and players who don't fit into the overall plan will be moved on.

So Ashley Cole has done himself no favours with the tweets. He's odds on to be gone by the end of the season. The medics will help decide JT's fate. But one thing's for sure. The defence will not be built around him any more. That much was clear even under AVB.

• Advertisement

All looks well so far.. next few games are really difficult though.

Spurs (A) L
    Shakhtar (A) UCL
    Man Utd (H) L
    Man Utd (H) LC
    Swansea (A) L
    Shakhtar (H) UCL
    Liverpool (H) L
    WBA (A) L
    Juventus (A) UCL
    Man City (H) L

All from 20th October to 25th November.

What a crucial month.

After this, we will know what our side are really like and how good we really are..
    Big league results against Spurs and the Manchesters (7 points) and getting out of the UCL group will be counted as progress. This is the chance for RDM and his rotation strategy to shine.

It's definitely a crucial month. But then we have the winter campaign where Chelsea have come unstuck in a couple of recent seasons. How the Latin players (fast forming the heart of this team) will fare will tell a tale.

Personally, I'm really happy with the progress to date. New players have integrated well. And the tough fixture list ahead could really help forge the character of the new team.

I'm also delighted Torres is banging in a few goals. He's keeping his hand in and a couple of big performances in the coming months will do him the world of good. I still think we're going to get another major striker/forward. And how Torres responds to *that* will determine his Chelsea future.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    All it serves to show is that there are a lot of unsavoury people in football. And there are lots of reasons for bad feeling on the pitch, leading to the kind of abuse that gets thrown around.

On one level it's all very childish. On another people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Or choc ices for that matter.

the_monkey wrote: »

It has far more legs than it should have at this late stage.

It looks like the bad feeling won't go away in this case until the main protagonists have left the stage.

The "Brand" is catching on - shirt sales are up!

Chelsea FC are breaking into the game's true elite. And I don't just mean on the field. According to Sporting Intelligence, the Blues are fourth overall in global shirt sales over the past five seasons, rising above the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Bayern Munich (their vanquished opponents in the 2012 Champions League final). Here's the top ten:
    1. Manchester United: 1,400,000 shirts per season.
    2. Real Madrid: 1,400,000.
    3. Barcelona: 1,150,000.
    4. Chelsea: 910,000.
    5. Bayern Munich: 880,000.
    6. Liverpool: 810,000.
    7. Arsenal: 800,000.
    8. Juventus: 480,000.
    9. Inter Milan: 425,000.
    10. AC Milan: 350,000.
    One interesting thing to note from these numbers is that clubs don't really sell that many kits (and they don't get that much money from them anyway, because they're not the manufacturers). A look through any football team's books indicates that shirt sales are a significant, but not huge part of income, and these figures mesh with that.
    Shirt sales, however do indicate the strength of a global brand, and positive numbers for Chelsea will impact commercial deals. Strong numbers for the Premier League also imply better overseas television deals and a competitive advantage in Europe. In other words, hurray Chelsea.

The "Brand" is catching on - shirt sales are up!

Chelsea FC are breaking into the game's true elite. And I don't just mean on the field. According to Sporting Intelligence, the Blues are fourth overall in global shirt sales over the past five seasons, rising above the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Bayern Munich (their vanquished opponents in the 2012 Champions League final). Here's the top ten:
    1. Manchester United: 1,400,000 shirts per season.
    2. Real Madrid: 1,400,000.
    3. Barcelona: 1,150,000.
    4. Chelsea: 910,000.
    5. Bayern Munich: 880,000.
    6. Liverpool: 810,000.
    7. Arsenal: 800,000.
    8. Juventus: 480,000.
    9. Inter Milan: 425,000.
    10. AC Milan: 350,000.
    One interesting thing to note from these numbers is that clubs don't really sell that many kits (and they don't get that much money from them anyway, because they're not the manufacturers). A look through any football team's books indicates that shirt sales are a significant, but not huge part of income, and these figures mesh with that.
    Shirt sales, however do indicate the strength of a global brand, and positive numbers for Chelsea will impact commercial deals. Strong numbers for the Premier League also imply better overseas television deals and a competitive advantage in Europe. In other words, hurray Chelsea.

Impressive figures. :)

More fans and exposure is a good thing for the brand overall.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement