Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lukker- wrote: »
    Tbh I don't see why they just don't give him 2 years, he's only 31.

I agree, the guy has been a n excellent player for us and one of the best we've ever spent on.

If he does leave, I'd say he'll play ina different country for the last few years of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Lowering the overall age profile of the team seems to be the thinking though they would be mental to let Cole go as he can still do a great job

And its a good idea and it seems to be working but I wouldnt be to quick to get rid of all the over 30's, defintely not Cole anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

GavRedKing wrote: »
    And its a good idea and it seems to be working but I wouldnt be to quick to get rid of all the over 30's, defintely not Cole anyway.

Agreed Gav. A balance of youth and experience does seem the best way.

amiable wrote: »
    Agreed Gav. A balance of youth and experience does seem the best way.

Ya, when you have one of the best and most reliable LB's around it would be really stupid of Chelsea not to offer him a deal. with an extra year, its not like we're stuck for cash.

Losing Cole would be a disaster as it would certainly mean he would leave to a rival in Europe.

It comes across as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

the dude is surely the fittest and quickest guy for his age, id have no fears he could do another 2 years for us, by the end of this year I would expect Bertrand to be pushing him for his spot though with an eye to next year him maybe starting some of the games at LB!

I think Ashley himself sees Bertrand as his replacement but I cant se him wanting to step aside just yet.

Hes still streets ahead of Ryan and having both play together for the next 2, 3 years is only going to help the club.

We could play Bertrand after Ashley wants out and another 2 years of help from cole would be invaluable and save us money, rather then going out and getting another LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Definitely the way to go.
    Whatever you think about Ashley Cole off the pitch , he has been phenomenal for us on it from the start. He has always given his best , sometimes long after most of our other stars had given up on games as lost. He should be looked after.

I think Ashley himself sees Bertrand as his replacement but I cant se him wanting to step aside just yet.

Hes still streets ahead of Ryan and having both play together for the next 2, 3 years is only going to help the club.

We could play Bertrand after Ashley wants out and another 2 years of help from cole would be invaluable and save us money, rather then going out and getting another LB.

bullpost wrote: »
    Definitely the way to go.
    Whatever you think about Ashley Cole off the pitch , he has been phenomenal for us on it from the start. He has always given his best , sometimes long after most of our other stars had given up on games as lost. He should be looked after.

Goal line clearance away in Naples at 3-1 down comes to mind. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

It's complete overhaul at CFC, isn't it.

How the club deals with Cole will tell a story. If they hold the line, they're basically saying the entire old guard is dispensable and the decks will be cleared at will for the new era. I'd be worried if I were Terry. He'll be isolated in the dressing room in pretty short order.

• Advertisement

Looking at over 30's :

Cech
    Hilario
    Paolo F
    Cole
    Terry
    Lamps
    Malouda
    Yossi B

Cech has signed a 4 year deal on recently so is with us until the end of 2016.

Hialrio could go anytime same with Paolo.

Losing Cole would be a disaster.

Terry is replaceable and could happen sooner then later.

Lamps is winding down his career now anyway.

Malouda is out of contract in the summer and rotting away in the youths/reserves.

Yossi is out of contract in the summer so should be gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I think we would be crazy to not give Cole another two years and sell him on after next season. He is one of the best LBs in the world and not better player to learn from for Bertie and PVA.

I think the club is making a stand and this one along with Terry are in the balance. Both really good players and Chelsea legends but both cast a negative image on the club and are two of the remaining untoucables.

For me, the club can do what they wish with JT and Lampard but IMO we should hold on to Cole for one more season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I just can't see why. Give him a 2 year deal, get at least one more season from him and if it doesn't work out sell him for 6m+ and recoup any money lost on his contract.

what a day wrote: »
    I think we would be crazy to not give Cole another two years and sell him on after next season. He is one of the best LBs in the world and not better player to learn from for Bertie and PVA.

I think the club is making a stand and this one along with Terry are in the balance. Both really good players and Chelsea legends but both cast a negative image on the club and are two of the remaining untoucables.

For me, the club can do what they wish with JT and Lampard but IMO we should hold on to Cole for one more season.

Cech is still untouchable IMO.

Even if Courtois comes back next summer he'll be sitting on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

what a day wrote: »

Its also to do with trying to bring down the wage bill

Cech is slightly different as keepers generally get better with age, whereas "outfield" players lose speed etc.
    Plus , we've seen with Malouda, it was crazy to give him such a long deal at his age

Its also to do with trying to bring down the wage bill

Cech is slightly different as keepers generally get better with age, whereas "outfield" players lose speed etc.
    Plus , we've seen with Malouda, it was crazy to give him such a long deal at his age

The Malouda one was staggering. :rolleyes:

I can see why a club only offers over 30's a year long deal though but up until at least 32 a player should be still performing week in week out.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Any one know of rumours of a massive Stamford Bridge redevelopment?

Nothing at all. But with Liverpool announcing an Anfield re-development I think its about time we get our skates on and push the council to allow us to plan something.

I'd rather stay on site then sell up TBH, granted if we sell the ground and surronding area we'd offset a decent chunk of a new build I'd still rather stay at the Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Seems like Haz not feeling the love with the Belgian international team, thought it was strange when he was subbed after 55 mins on friday. I had assumed he took a knock but obviously not.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/belgium-s-systematic-demolition-of-eden-hazard-proves-a-worry-for

Seems like Haz not feeling the love with the Belgian international team, thought it was strange when he was subbed after 55 mins on friday. I had assumed he took a knock but obviously not.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/belgium-s-systematic-demolition-of-eden-hazard-proves-a-worry-for

I've watched him play for Belgium, he plays alot slower then he has for us and in the higlights I seen from his Lille days.

Its weird but he does under perform for the national team at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I've watched him play for Belgium, he plays alot slower then he has for us and in the higlights I seen from his Lille days.

Its weird but he does under perform for the national team at times.

plus the national manager keeps making cracks about him becoming a team player and tracking back!

A few of the rags are trying to stir the "danny" out story, cos he hasnt played - errr he has been injured!

and Torres will not shut up about his time at Liverpool!

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres has revealed his fondness for former-club Liverpool, despite understanding that fans were upset with his departure.
    Torres left Liverpool in the January transfer window in 2011, departing for £50m - a British transfer fee record - to Stamford Bridge. The Spain international has struggled to settle with the Blues, and failed to replicate his stunning form for the Reds.

The Spaniard paid tribute to ex-Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez, and made it clear he thoroughly enjoyed his four years on Merseyside.
    "I owe very much to Liverpool, their fans, Benitez…Liverpool is a main part of my life," Torres told Spanish newspaper El Pais. "I know I'm not well-considered now, but I'm sure that will change in the future."
    The former-Atletico Madrid striker also revealed there was perhaps move behind his transfer from Liverpool to Chelsea than meets the eye.
    "Finally, I decided to leave because it was a step in my career. It was not the best way of leaving, but it was not the way they sold it. Someday people will know the truth."

Torres was part of a fantastic Liverpool team under Benitez, playing alongside the likes of Javier Mascherano, Xabi Alonso and Steven Gerrard. And the Spain international was a goalscoring machine for the Anfield club.
    But since moving to Chelsea, Torres has struggled, managing to net just 18 goals in 79 competitive appearances for the Stamford Brdige side.
    But Chelsea currently sit top of the Premier League table, and Torres has looked more comfortable without the presence of Didier Drogba at Chelsea.
    The Spain international has found the net with great regularity this campaign, and should get plenty more chances playing in front of Eden Hazard, Juan Mata and Oscar.
    In contrast, Liverpool have struggled for goals, and Brendan Rodgers faces a difficult few months after Fabio Borini fractured his foot on international duty with Italy under-21's.
    The former-Roma striker's injury leaves the Anfield club with just one senior striker, Luis Suarez.

• Advertisement

Had Rafa still been in charge I dont think he would have left.

Alot of things would have come into play when deciding to move clubs and Torres felt moving would futher his career.

He has won more since leaving then he would have if he stayed but his performances havent been up to the standards of his first 2 seasons at Liverpool, thats forgetting the few months before he joined us when he wasnt as good as he was for Liverpool.

Anyway, wouldnt read much into it, he likes the club, which hes allowed to.

What I'm taking from it is he has a fondness for Rafa and Liverpool and once Xabi Alonso and Rafa were out he must have thought the club was well and truly out of contention and you can see evidence in his belief since he left.

Liverpool are someway from a top 4 finish at the moment, off the top of my head, Spurs, City, Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and maybe Newcastle are better placed to take 4th, not counting Everton as I dont think they'll last and i think there isnt really too much between both clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Had Rafa still been in charge I dont think he would have left.

Alot of things would have come into play when deciding to move clubs and Torres felt moving would futher his career.

He has won more since leaving then he would have if he stayed but his performances havent been up to the standards of his first 2 seasons at Liverpool, thats forgetting the few months before he joined us when he wasnt as good as he was for Liverpool.

Anyway, wouldnt read much into it, he likes the club, which hes allowed to.

What I'm taking from it is he has a fondness for Rafa and Liverpool and once Xabi Alonso and Rafa were out he must have thought the club was well and truly out of contention and you can see evidence in his belief since he left.

Liverpool are someway from a top 4 finish at the moment, off the top of my head, Spurs, City, Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and maybe Newcastle are better placed to take 4th, not counting Everton as I dont think they'll last and i think there isnt really too much between both clubs.

He played 23 league games for Liverpool that season before joining Chelsea and got 9 goals, so whilst he was not on the same lethal form in the league as he was in his three previous seasons with Liverpool (24 in 33, 14 in 24 and 18 in 22), it was still not a bad return considering how Liverpool were using Torres under Hodgson.

As for Torres talking about Liverpool, well I think that some of that is for footy reasons, but I would not be surprised if more of it was simply down to how well he and his family settled on Merseyside. His other half is meant to have loved it and is rumoured not to have settled well at first in London.

Having said that I am not surprised to see Torres make the start he has for Chelsea this season, and if he and the family have started to settle then I think the goals will flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Kess73 wrote: »
    He played 23 league games for Liverpool that season before joining Chelsea and got 9 goals, so whilst he was not on the same lethal form in the league as he was in his three previous seasons with Liverpool (24 in 33, 14 in 24 and 18 in 22), it was still not a bad return considering how Liverpool were using Torres under Hodgson.

As for Torres talking about Liverpool, well I think that some of that is for footy reasons, but I would not be surprised if more of it was simply down to how well he and his family settled on Merseyside. His other half is meant to have loved it and is rumoured not to have settled well at first in London.

Having said that I am not surprised to see Torres make the start he has for Chelsea this season, and if he and the family have started to settle then I think the goals will flow.

...or ye could just buy Falcao and throw Torres into the scrap heap :pac:

True, hes played an awful lot of football as well for Liverpool in Europe and Spain in that time frame and some burn out was always going to occur.

Never knew that, interesting though none the less.

The fear of not been taken off after 60-65 minutes for Drogba is another plus for Torres. Short of scoring a hat trick he was always going to be replaced by Drogba if Chelsea were struggling and Torres has started, no matter how well his overall play was.

Ah jaysus, Kess isnt a Chelsea fan, he'll be back to in a minute to lash ya out of it.* :pac:

May not happen

Yup, its on Sky.

I think its time we went back and reclaimed 3 point lane. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

another one from reddit.
    made me lol
    GFoj7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

....who was at the Chelsea game V Norwich a couple of Saturdays ago. My son is a huge Chelsea fan (I tried to convert him, but no go!!) and I just wanted to give a few of my observations from the game/ground/trip (hope this is the correct thread).

1) Stamford Bridge, nice ground, tight, very central. All the staff were very courteous and getting to seats etc was no problem. Very child friendly ground, with kids very much welcomed and all treated with the utmost respect.

2) Facilities (we did a tour on Sunday) were excellent. Makes you dream of being a Premiership player, with literally every whim looked after. It was quite amusing to see the difference between the away and home dressing rooms, and also some really nice touches around the place. For example, in the changing rooms they put the previous players name inside the locker of the newer player. Hazards new locker had his name on the outside, with Drogba's name on the inside, I thought this was a really nice touch.

3) Team. Well, as much as it hurts me to say, and yes they were up against a weakish opposition, they really look like a well oiled machine. How you are going to replace Frank Lampard when he retires, I'll never know. Without a doubt one of the most outstanding players on the pitch, and a complete workhorse. Notable other players are Hazard (fast, incredibly strong, quick feet) and Torres (his off the ball running, ability to make space and pace were incredible).

Overall, a really good trip, and one I'd do again. Again thanks to the Chelsea Fans/Staff for giving myself and Luke a great day out.

The Poland v England game been re-scheduled for this afternoon is not a good thing for Cole and our early kick off against Spurs.

They'll also have Defoe playing so thats another player that will get a day less break.

• Advertisement

Good idea. Buy Falcao for Liverpool. Then nick Chelsea's main striker and throw him away. I like your thinking. :D

Ah jaysus, Kess isnt a Chelsea fan, he'll be back to in a minute to lash ya out of it.* :pac:

May not happen

That makes two of us then. You just have not come out yet. :pac:

Sure aren't most Chelsea fans just Liverpool fans that are only following them since Roman took over :pac:

I told ya, its a long drawn out process, give me time and dont pressure me. :p
    Sure aren't most Chelsea fans just Liverpool fans that are only following them since Roman took over :pac:

Yup, ex Liverpool fans from the 70-80's then Blackburn fans and soon to be Man City fans.

:cool:

I told ya, its a long drawn out process, give me time and dont pressure me. :p

Yup, ex Liverpool fans from the 70-80's then Blackburn fans and soon to be Man City fans.

:cool:

Could be worse...I'm a Wexford Youth fan :(

Could be worse...I'm a Wexford Youth fan :(

Wanna jump on the Chelsea bandwagon? theres always room for more and we're winning things at the moment.

No matter what Kess says dont go over to the Red side, red is evil. :p

Feel free to take this poster as your first Chelsea gift from us all.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHGzZZvzKn2K2RxtKzYng8UN9cSMHJBki6t2dCfFi6ii1aFCvSJw

You'll get your plastic flags in the post. :pac:

• Advertisement

Wanna jump on the Chelsea bandwagon? theres always room for more and we're winning things at the moment.

No matter what Kess says dont go over to the Red side, red is evil. :p

Feel free to take this poster as your first Chelsea gift from us all.

You'll get your plastic flags in the post. :pac:

Red legs good, Blue legs baaaad.

Until you change your name to GavBlueKing there will be doubts about ya. The Liverpool/Cork thing is not going away. :pac:

Liverpool - funny accent to some
    Cork - Funny accent to some

Liverpool - Hates the capital city
    Cork - Hate the capital city

Liverpool - most successful sports team from area wears red
    Cork - Most successful sports team from area wears red. (can use Rugby or GAA as example :P)

Kess - Liverpool
    GavRedKing - Cork

Kess = LFC supporter

Gav + Cork = LFC supporter.

:D

I am not trying to convert anyone bar the Corkonians. ;)

28509135.jpg

Kess, thats a very good detailed synopsis of EXACTLY why I should be a Liverpool fan. :eek:

Gold star for you Kess. :cool:

Maybe I'm just confused about who I support.:o

Kess, thats a very good detailed synopsis of EXACTLY why I should be a Liverpool fan. :eek:

Gold star for you Kess. :cool:

Maybe I'm just confused about who I support.:o

Of course you may be adopted and are really from Dublin blood, in which case you are not wanted as part of the LFC support. :p

And that's how I alienate all of Dublin with one sentence. :D

Of course you may be adopted and are really from Dublin blood, in which case you are not wanted as part of the LFC support. :p

And that's how I alienate all of Dublin with one sentence. :D

Good call ^ that will anger the Dubs, not sure if any of the lads on here are Dubs though.

The 4 generations I know of, on both sides have no Dublin blood anyway, well apart from an aunt that married into the family a good few years ago, a blow in * really.

So I'm well on my way to been accepted, yaaay.

No sexual jokes :pac:

Good call ^ that will anger the Dubs, not sure if any of the lads on here are Dubs though.

The 4 generations I know of, on both sides have no Dublin blood anyway, well apart from an aunt that married into the family a good few years ago, a blow in * really.

So I'm well on my way to been accepted, yaaay.

No sexual jokes :pac:

You will only be accepted when you turn on the Chelsea support in a manner you cannot come back from, along with finding some way to make a comment that offends most that read it. :D

Funnily enough Chelsea supporters have never been a bugbear of mine over the years. I think I have grown up knowing too many long term Chelsea supporters to regard the Chelsea support as plastic flag blow ins. Plus one of my best match going memories happened at Stamford Bridge when I was in with the away support on the day that Kenny scored the goal that wrapped up the title for us in 1986 so I don't think I will ever have the disdain that some supporters have for Chelsea. You lot had a right good team that season but bottled the title challenge in style, something you made up for over the past near decade.

The money thing never bothered me either because I know deep down that if a billionaire had taken over Liverpool rather than H&G and that billionaire was willing to invest heavily in the team that I would have loved similar league success to what Chelsea have had since Roman came in. The days of clubs winning the title without massive backers one way or the other are gone, so to mock a team that has a willing backer seems churlish to me when I know I would not be unhappy to see one at my club.

Think I had my knife in Chelsea during the Gullit years though as I despised him and I had no love for the man he replaced either.:mad:

• Advertisement

You will only be accepted when you turn on the Chelsea support in a manner you cannot come back from, along with finding some way to make a comment that offends most that read it. :D
    I think any comments or outburst like that could leave me having to step down as a mod and close my account, be someway to go though. :)

I could come back under a new re-reg and troll Boards for awhile then.........actually thats not a bad plan. :p
    Funnily enough Chelsea supporters have never been a bugbear of mine over the years. I think I have grown up knowing too many long term Chelsea supporters to regard the Chelsea support as plastic flag blow ins. Plus one of my best match going memories happened at Stamford Bridge when I was in with the away support on the day that Kenny scored the goal that wrapped up the title for us in 1986 so I don't think I will ever have the disdain that some supporters have for Chelsea. You lot had a right good team that season but bottled the title challenge in style, something you made up for over the past near decade.

86?? :eek: I was only about 10 months old at that stage. :o
    The money thing never bothered me either because I know deep down that if a billionaire had taken over Liverpool rather than H&G and that billionaire was willing to invest heavily in the team that I would have loved similar league success to what Chelsea have had since Roman came in. The days of clubs winning the title without massive backers one way or the other are gone, so to mock a team that has a willing backer seems churlish to me when I know I would not be unhappy to see one at my club.

TBF to Roman he, unlike a lot of Billionaire owners that have gone before or after him seems to genuinely love the club and its fans, now that could also be the fact because hes pumped in and around £1 Billion fo his own money into the club to get us to where we are today and he has to but I think hes done good by not changing things to radically, well except for managers, he changes them every 18 months. :pac:
    Think I had my knife in Chelsea during the Gullit years though as I despised him and I had no love for the man he replaced either.:mad:

I liked Gullit, well more so as a player but he tried to change things around the club and the setup when he took over from Hoddle, who I dont like, but the man is fairly knowledgeable .

I think any comments or outburst like that could leave me having to step down as a mod and close my account, be someway to go though. :)

I could come back under a new re-reg and troll Boards for awhile then.........actually thats not a bad plan. :p

86?? :eek: I was only about 10 months old at that stage. :o

TBF to Roman he, unlike a lot of Billionaire owners that have gone before or after him seems to genuinely love the club and its fans, now that could also be the fact because hes pumped in and around £1 Billion fo his own money into the club to get us to where we are today and he has to but I think hes done good by not changing things to radically, well except for managers, he changes them every 18 months. :pac:

I liked Gullit, well more so as a player but he tried to change things around the club and the setup when he took over from Hoddle, who I dont like, but the man is fairly knowledgeable .

I was 12 at that time with my 13 birthday to follow in a few months. It is still as fond a match day memory for me as Istanbul in 2005 is.

And speaking of 2005, another one of my most fond LFC memories came from that year and involved Chelsea. The Anfield leg of the semi final was one of the loudest football matches I have been at, and certainly the loudest I was at in England.

As for Gullit. I just could not take to him as a manager and thought he was a spoofer. Hoddle I can admit was a pretty decent manager but as a person I disliked him.

I think Chelsea have had quite a few likeable, from a rival supporter's pov, managers over the years. I know that I can think of many that I regarded as good sorts over the past 20 to 25 years. I realy do believe that the public's perception of Chelsea has been badly skewed since Roman came in with even a lot of older supporters either forgetting or chosing to forget what Chelsea FC was like as an old first and second division club.

Any mention of Chelsea FC usually has me thinking back to the teams of John Neal, John Collins, and Bob Campbell and then fast forwarding to the eras of Vialli, Ranieri, and Jose.

As for your turnover of managers that people love to point at, and make out to be some kind of new(ish) occurrence. Well it is hardly new and I think that it is almost traditional at Chelsea for managers to have shortish reigns. Pretty sure that during my lifetime (born August 1973) that no Chelsea manager has managed the club for more than 3 full seasons. So it is hardly something that came about under Roman and having two or three managers in a calendar year is also something that did not come in under Roman.

Edit: John Neal managed for four full seasons, so that means Chelsea have only had one manager that managed the club for four seasons during my life time, and you have to go back to the 1960s* to find Chelsea managers who matched or bettered that.

*when their managerial reigns began.

Stamford Bridge in the away end as a 12 year old must have been an excellent experience. One you're likely not to forgot anytime soon. :)

Ya the turnover of Chelsea managers as you mentioned is something that we've been famous for. It can be a revoliving door at times but we're used to it at this stage I reckon. :o

I think every fan has a player from a rival club they have a soft spot, for me it would have been Stevie McManaman he was such an elegant player and in the era of Giggs and Becks he went somewhat under the radar. An excellent player though. Same goes for Fowler, he was lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

What's with all this Liverpool Love In? :eek:

STOP IT, STOP IT NOW I SAY!

I'm going to work now and fully expect normal service to be resumed on my return.

To start you off The U21's played a 'friendly' against Arsenal yesterday, featuring JT and Azpillicueta, winning 2-0......Which was nice :D

From CFC Site.......
    A space in the fixture calendar for the Chelsea Under-21 squad over the international break was filled on Wednesday with a friendly against Arsenal, played at the Gunners' training ground.

The match was an opportunity for John Terry and Cesar Azpilicueta to gain 45 minutes of game time during the gap between first team fixtures as well. They played the first half.

Arsenal gave games to Jack Wilshere and Bacary Sagna who are returning from injury.

The Chelsea team was predominantly selected from our Under-21 squad and the result was a 2-0 win in our favour. Billy Clifford (pictured) scored a very good goal in the first half, finding the top corner with a shot after a cross was not fully cleared.

In the second half Islam Feruz, fresh from his hat-trick for Scotland Under-19s, doubled the advantage with a header from an Aziz Deen-Conteh cross.

Under-21 manager Dermot Drummy reports: 'It is great that it can beneficial for players like John Terry and Cesar Azpilicueta to come and play 45 minutes for the Under 21s. For the young players, when they have a player like John Terry talking to them they listen and they see how he prepares and how seriously he takes every game.

'That hopefully will rub off on the players and is something that they can only get from a player of John's magnitude.

'Unfortunately Danny Pappoe got a hamstring injury before the end but Rohan Ince made a return and got 45 minutes and it is good to have more players in contention for our next game.'

The Under-21s next league fixture is away to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Monday, the venue Telford United FC with a 7pm kick-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

RichT wrote: »

Ah now, it's always nice to read a rival fan with a few good words to write about Chelsea, and lets face it, it beats the oul wind up malarkey any day of the week in fairness!
    JT's getting himself ready for Spurs, that's the stuff.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkGr_miwdoCY-I8yHLYLWelSSDv4D_pJ2BMWX-m6pL2sHMgA-G

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOFm2HHA55nVDW8N0mMLg9t2bPIv4QizKWlYpTyvFBFPap_PLYng

Mata and JT not playing during the week is good for us, same goes for Torres.

Although I'd like if Cahill and Luiz were played to combat Spurs pace.

I hope we can put one over Spurs, not only because of AVB's complaining but because its Spurs.

3 point lane here we come. :cool:

RichT wrote: »

I'm going to work now and fully expect normal service to be resumed on my return.

We are coming to get ya, RichT :pac:

scousers.jpg

Panthro wrote: »
    Ah now, it's always nice to read a rival fan with a few good words to write about Chelsea, and lets face it, it beats the oul wind up malarkey any day of the week in fairness!
    JT's getting himself ready for Spurs, that's the stuff.

Damn that's where I was going wrong. I forgot to spout off some of the plastic flag/No history/buying silverware rubbish. :D

Don't worry though, come the 11th Nov I will have my knife in Chelsea for the day.

Here ya go Kess, even more of ye turning up as we speak. :pac:

scousers.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement