Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

On SSN that JT is to remain as captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

GavRedKing wrote: »
    On SSN that JT is to remain as captain.

Must admit, I think Chelsea have missed a trick here, he should have been stripped of the captaincy, even though he wasnt found guilty , he has admitted saying it and apologised, yes everyone makes mistakes, but he has made a few now and doesnt seem to learn or respect the responsibilty that comes with the armband and he has had enough second chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Must admit, I think Chelsea have missed a trick here, he should have been stripped of the captaincy, even though he wasnt found guilty , he has admitted saying it and apologised, yes everyone makes mistakes, but he has made a few now and doesnt seem to learn or respect the responsibilty that comes with the armband and he has had enough second chances
    Not wanting to defend the man because I don't believe him to be a nice man but really he hasn't done to much wrong, he had an affair on his misses and said something in an intensely charged match after being provoked! Now I don't condone racism I don't for one second think that jt is racist, the fa made a huge error in pushing this as far as they have in fact I believe if the they had not punished surez so harshly and the police hadn't got involved this would have been over a long time ago.
    Although terrys star is undoubtedly fading I think the is still our best candidate for caption on the pitch.

Apparently he has been given a record fine by Chelsea but will remain capt

SSN - Bruce Buck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Apparently he has been given a record fine by Chelsea but will remain capt

SSN - Bruce Buck

Everyone knows, or at the very least perceives, a fine for a Premier League footballer to be a bit of a waste of time and irrelevant. For someone who earns hundreds of thousands of pounds a month, even a months, or 2 months wages is hardly going to affect his lifestyle.

Stripping him of the captaincy, even for 3 months or something would have made a much bigger statement. Personally I would have liked to seen the captaincy taken off him for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I LOVE WHEN WE BEAT SPURS. LOVE IT:D

22 points from 24.

What a start.

Mata is just special. Not suprising he's kicking on from last season and doing even better this year. Mikel has improved so much under robbie too.

3 pointa is what we needed and what we deserved from the game.

Should set us up for Shakhtar and Utd at the Bridge.

Brillant start to the season so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Juan Mata has 6 goals and 7 assists in his last 5 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Brilliant performance from Cech today bar that mistake towards the end, must have been at least five big saves from him. Fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Not wanting to defend the man because I don't believe him to be a nice man but really he hasn't done to much wrong, he had an affair on his misses and said something in an intensely charged match after being provoked! Now I don't condone racism I don't for one second think that jt is racist, the fa made a huge error in pushing this as far as they have in fact I believe if the they had not punished surez so harshly and the police hadn't got involved this would have been over a long time ago.
    Although terrys star is undoubtedly fading I think the is still our best candidate for caption on the pitch.

How have they gone too far ? Surely they have to show that there is no tolerance of that sort of behaviour. What sort of legitimacy would the FA have with regards to the shocking incident in Serbia, if they turned a blind eye in their own back yard ?

Chelsea turning into the Jekyll and Hyde club. So classy on the pitch, so lacking in class off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Brilliant game today, we are looking so good going forward. The tough run of fixtures has started well. If we can go unbeaten for the next month we have a serious chance at the title!

greendom wrote: »
    Chelsea turning into the Jekyll and Hyde club. So classy on the pitch, so lacking in class off it.

Ok.

Thanks for your contribution.:rolleyes:

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Ok.

Ditto

greendom wrote: »

Meh, its all about winning football matches and once we do that I couldnt care what the players do off it.

They're entitled to a personal life and some are better then others at keeping things in check and down to earth.

As a fan I couldnt care if JT is having an affair or Coles marriage breaks down, as long as they perform on matchdays then Ive no business judging their personal lifes.

Ok.

Kinda have to agree with Greendom, for all the success on the pitch, we still manage to embarrass ourselves off it
    The classless way we sack managers - Carlo in particular was poor.
    Even with RDM, we managed to come across as begrudginly having to give it to him
    Ive thought long and hard about Terry, and now I firmly believe he should have stood down as capt, but somehow he feels he he shouldnt
    He might be a leader on the pitch, but he has shown he isnt willing to sacrifce himself for the greater good of either the England team, or Chelsea or football
    I think a more moral man would have
    Now you see Chelsea backtracking and embarrassing RDM by now saying he will remain as capt, after RDM kept his mouth shut

• Advertisement

Meh, its all about winning football matches and once we do that I couldnt care what the players do off it.

They're entitled to a personal life and some are better then others at keeping things in check and down to earth.

As a fan I couldnt care if JT is having an affair or Coles marriage breaks down, as long as they perform on matchdays then Ive no business judging their personal lifes.

Thats the problem right there Gav. Success at ANY price?
    I dont think so
    There are many things wrong football, and money is a big part of it, but where players can make a difference is carry themselves better and they should be guided in that

As long as his team-mates still respect him and see him as their leader then why should he step down?

The team is the most important group in this kind of decision!

There are no signs that they are not happy with JT being their leader and captain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Cech has years left, he could be captain material

Thats the problem right there Gav. Success at ANY price?
    I dont think so
    There are many things wrong football, and money is a big part of it, but where players can make a difference is carry themselves better and they should be guided in that

Every club has made mistakes and certain individuals dont help the club but yes winning is the most important thing.

The Jt incident has been done to death now by us the courts and the FA.

JT doesnt help himself and people just dont like Cole even if he gave his earning to charity people would find a fault with him.

Winning at the highest level is the most important thing and we have winners all over the pitch. TBF to RDM he couldnt say if JT was gonna be stripped of his captaincy because he didnt know at the time I assume so saying nothing is all he could do.

Every club has made mistakes and certain individuals dont help the club but yes winning is the most important thing.

The Jt incident has been done to death now by us the courts and the FA.

JT doesnt help himself and people just dont like Cole even if he gave his earning to charity people would find a fault with him.

Winning at the highest level is the most important thing and we have winners all over the pitch. TBF to RDM he couldnt say if JT was gonna be stripped of his captaincy because he didnt know at the time I assume so saying nothing is all he could do.

Guilty or not, a man who cares about the club and football and general would be smart enough to realise that it would be better to step down and some of the heat out of it and send a message to those idiots in the club, that some behaviour is unacceptable and does have consequences
    Im sure he is aware of the right choice but choose the selfish option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Great result today. Mata was excellent, thought Mikel and Ramires played well too. Still a bit dodgy at the back but 6 points from away games at Arsenal and Spurs is brilliant. We got 2 points from those same fixtures last season.

Chelseas-Juan-Mata-celebr-008.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Onto football matters....

How can people say Mata isn't as good as David Silva? Both class players but the stats on Mata don't lie.

32 assists in 41 games for Chelsea, 6 goals and 7 assists in his last 6 games

Hopefully the club sign him up to a new long term deal.

Certainly seems happy in London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mata is just special. Not suprising he's kicking on from last season and doing even better this year. Mikel has improved so much under robbie too.

He was excellent last season but I remember he was missing a high number of chances.
    I remember thinking that if he can improve his finishing he'd get a bucket load.

He's certainly pushed on this season.

Is this the best we have ever been going forward?

Torres, Hazard, Mata, Oscar.

We have so many goal threats now!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Drool....

iLgHhw9r1eOEv.gif

Also, there is talk of us bringing in a new striker.

As good and all as Falcao/Cavani would be, im still scared of Torres getting unsettled, just as it looks like he is hitting good form again for a prolonged enough period now.

Leave it til the summer at least, give Fernando his season to prove himself I think!

Hes started it well enough

• Advertisement

I think Mata is better then Silva. both are very similar but Mata is a bit quicker and he scores more goals. Both are excellent players though.

But you got to have love for Mata hes a magician. Hazards ball for his 2 nd though was sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Phoenix wrote: »
    Is Torres deserving the stick hes getting though lads?

Is Torres getting stick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

amiable wrote: »

Is Torres getting stick?

Not as much as he should because he's still not playing anywhere near that he should be. If Chelsea had a striker they would run away with the league considering how poor everybody else is playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Torres does his job brilliantly.

People who don't agree with this don't understand the 4-2-3-1 system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Just finished watching us on the premiership. Fantastic display. This is about as good as it gets at the moment. Fair play to AVB as well - magnanimous in defeat .

A striker will always be judged on goals, Torres for me still lacks that bit of confidence and he had chances when we needed him to score. Fortunately Mata did good, but one day soon, Torres will have a chance to win the match and I'm not sure I'd bank on him like I did Drogba

A striker will always be judged on goals, Torres for me still lacks that bit of confidence and he had chances when we needed him to score. Fortunately Mata did good, but one day soon, Torres will have a chance to win the match and I'm not sure I'd bank on him like I did Drogba

Torres annoys me sometimes. His build up play is brilliant but he does not look like a natural poacher in front of goal. Take the sturridge goal as an example, how many times have we seen torres in that position looking for a tap in.......very rarely. He needs to get into that poacher position more often.

Not as much as he should because he's still not playing anywhere near that he should be. If Chelsea had a striker they would run away with the league considering how poor everybody else is playing.

We're still running away with the league and hes scoring too. A possible 22 from 24 is nearly perfect.

Torres does an excellent job as the sole striker and sets up and gets involved in a lot of the play. Recently hes playimg where he should be instead of been stuck out on the winh and hes battling with and winning headers with CB's that he wouldnt have last year.

I dont want to spend 40-50 million on a Falcao or Cavani. With Mata,Hazard, Oscar we've a trio that will trouble any team.

As long as we keep playing this way and goals are coming from all over the pitch I'm happy.
    Ivanovic, Cole, Cahill Lamps, Hazard, Mata, Torres, Sturridge

Torres annoys me sometimes. His build up play is brilliant but he does not look like a natural poacher in front of goal. Take the sturridge goal as an example, how many times have we seen torres in that position looking for a tap in.......very rarely. He needs to get into that poacher position more often.

There is no need for Torres to be there coz Sturridge was.

Sturridge couldnt have done the same job that Torres did today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

So the top scorer for the runaway league leaders is doing a bad job?
    Fair enough he probably should have another couple of goals but he's not exactly holding Chelsea back.
    If Chelsea stop winning games and Torres stops scoring then there's a problem

amiable wrote: »
    So the top scorer for the runaway league leaders is doing a bad job?
    Fair enough he probably should have another couple of goals but he's not exactly holding Chelsea back.
    If Chelsea stop winning games and Torres stops scoring then there's a problem

Im happy with his contribution. Every striker could do with scoring more goals, definitely, but hes improved from last year and even though Drogbas gone weve not missed him.

Drogba wouldnt suit our current play and system and the team as a whole is now better. Drogba a few years ago yes but not the current one and for that alone I'm glad we have Torres and that hes willing to put in a shift for the team also.

Alot of his good work goes unmentioned at times as people focus on his price and goal return which is alwaya going to happen I guess.

In Torres I trust anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

And anyone who describes Torres as playing brilliantly doesn't understand football. I think it was Michael Cox who raised how people seem to think Torres is playing well because he scored a few goals at the start of the year when in reality that is not true at all. He was decent today. But he displaying way off his top level.

His work rate had increased 100% but his form seems to have gone the other way. If Chesea had a better striker they would be favourites for me for the PL. Torres isn't playing well. Then again Mikel was an underrated PL player at one stage too so its not that surprising...

Chelsea are blowing teams away because of Oscar and Hazard. Mata was also making a few average guys look good too last season. That and he's probably the best player in the league atm.

And anyone who describes Torres as playing brilliantly doesn't understand football. I think it was Michael Cox who raised how people seem to think Torres is playing well because he scored a few goals at the start of the year when in reality that is not true at all. He was decent today. But he displaying way off his top level.

His work rate had increased 100% but his form seems to have gone the other way. If Chesea had a better striker they would be favourites for me for the PL. Torres isn't playing well. Then again Mikel was an underrated PL player at one stage too so its not that surprising...

Chelsea are blowing teams away because of Oscar and Hazard. Mata was also making a few average guys look good too last season. That and he's probably the best player in the league atm.

His conversion of one on ones is pretty poor.
    He had a couple today, the biggest example is the one that Hazard put away last game - pass into space from Mata and then just pass it into the bottom right corner. But he missed, not by much.
    I just think he is damaged goods now, bogged down by his own poor history.
    If he joined us now, straight from Liverpool, it could be a different story.
    But I still think when you compare him with Rooney, RVP, Tevez etc, he comes up wanting and could end up costing us

He has a good record so far this season and is playing well so I wont complain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Just an aside... it sticks in my fúcking craw that the 22 out of 24 we have is because of a draw with the bottom of the table team, QPR. They have 2 points and half of them came from our game with them.

I know, bottom teams get magic results sometimes against the big guns (see Norwich today against the Gooners), but this is a pain in the swiss... Such a pity we had to draw with them.

Meh...

The mental strength shown today was unbelievable; to go a goal down in such a cauldron of hatred as WHL, and with no captain or vice-captain to rally the troops as they usually do... They showed such composure and belief, it was so good to watch. They didn't wilt, or fade. They put the head down, shoulder to the wheel and ripped back into Spurs and got the justified result.

I was more happy today than I was with the victory over Arsenal. First time we've done a double in North London in a long time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Does his JOB brilliantly.

If he tucked away 20% more of his chances and stopped the silly fouls when tracking back he would be playing brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I think the way Chelsea are set up now, with all the inter-changing between our front players, that even if Torres was having a stinker it wouldnt really hurt us too much. You can see that by the amount of goals being shared amongst the team already.

I was actually more worried about yesterdays game than I am about Utd next week. If we weren't to at least get a draw out of that it would be very disappointing.

On a side note, are people not getting sick of this whole Terry thing, it needs to be just put to bed now at this stage. I am actually dreading the build up to the game next Sunday, we'll hear nothing but the media talking about whether Cole & Ferdinand will shake hands etc. I will also not be going near any match thread, it will be like a war zone in there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Judging my fergusons comments about Rio, rio will have to shake Coles hand. Don't think there's too much between them as both said so at the time.

Sky won't even discuss doing away with handshakes as it gives them another angle to promote their games!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement