Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Judging my fergusons comments about Rio, rio will have to shake Coles hand. Don't think there's too much between them as both said so at the time.

Sky won't even discuss doing away with handshakes as it gives them another angle to promote their games!

It's a ridiculous idea in anyways that bloody handshake.

Thought up and agreed around a table no doubt. If players wanna handshake do it at the final whistle if you think your competitors put in a good game, if not then walk away.

shaking before a ball is kicked is just a PR shïtty exercise which is wide open to contraversory which we have seen up til now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-will-not-offer-john-terry-1390566

They'll print anything in those fúcking rags... It's unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Phoenix wrote: »

If we managed to get him for that price I'd be VERY surprised.

Javi Martinez went to Bayern for nearly €40 Million so I shudder to think what Barca would want for Busquets.

Now, if they were willing to let him go then by all means snap him up, hes the ebst in the world at what he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

thebison wrote: »
    Drool....

iLgHhw9r1eOEv.gif

Missed the last two goals of this match on Saturday. That assist from Hazard just made me sexwee...

• Advertisement

Well part 1 of a difficult trio of games was completed Saturday.

I'd taker a draw away to Shakhtar but we can beat them, definietly.

Utd at home next Sunday will be another huge test, like us they're a bit frail at the back and will let in goals but their forward options keep banging in goals and will be a threat.

We've some tricky games coming up with both Shakhtar games, and Utd, Liverpool and City all coming to the Bridge in the next few weeks.

Beating Utd will send a huge message though and of all the games we've played so far this should be the game we should be hoping to win after the start we've made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Well part 1 of a difficult trio of games was completed Saturday.

I'd taker a draw away to Shakhtar but we can beat them, definietly.

Utd at home next Sunday will be another huge test, like us they're a bit frail at the back and will let in goals but their forward options keep banging in goals and will be a threat.

We've some tricky games coming up with both Shakhtar games, and Utd, Liverpool and City all coming to the Bridge in the next few weeks.

Beating Utd will send a huge message though and of all the games we've played so far this should be the game we should be hoping to win after the start we've made.

I think we'll at least get a draw out of the United game which wouldn't be the worst result, although I'm very confident we'll win.

I thought at the beginning of the season that we'd have a good year but the way the team has gelled so quickly is exceeding my expectation, we're playing some beautiful football and also getting results. Spurs & Arsenal away are two very tough fixtures and we've come out with 6 points, long may it continue :D

Two good attacking performances against two good attacking teams and we got two very good away wins against two rivals, good times.

Cech made a few good saves from Gylafi S. and Walker and the Mikel/Ramires combo looks like its here to stay, sorry Lamps, your involvement will be only bit part at this stage I reckon.

Apart from a lack lusture performance away to QPR and giving away 2 goals to Juventus we've played very well this season.

We've hit the ground running and we're yet to see Moses/Marin/Azp/Sturridge to get some serious game time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I'm looking forward to seeing Marin play, I dont no whats up with him but he doesnt seem to involved with the reserves or anything dont think he's injured either :confused:

The only worrying thing for me is that both Utd & City aren't playing great at all and they're still right up there, hopefully we can keep the distance from them for when we have a dip in form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Caveman1 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing Marin play, I dont no whats up with him but he doesnt seem to involved with the reserves or anything dont think he's injured either :confused:

The only worrying thing for me is that both Utd & City aren't playing great at all and they're still right up there, hopefully we can keep the distance from them for when we have a dip in form.

Wow, completely forgot about Marin! :eek:

• Advertisement

Caveman1 wrote: »

Both Manchester teams have yet to hit top gear but with only 8 games gone 4 points clear is very good, its showed how well we've started.

We're only just over 1/5 of the way through the season and we're doing very well hopefully we can keep it up as long as possible as this team is a serious title contender.

Wow, completely forgot about Marin! :eek:

Long season ahead of us so alot of players will get rested and rotated and Marin coming in wouldnt weakness us to much , it would give us more of a direct route down the line.

Marin and Moses playing on opposite flanks would be exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Excellent result for us the weekend, still over the moon with it. Its gonna be one of those games that will stick with me forever. Great performance, gave away a silly goal and we had a spell were we let Spurs play and then we panic when we get the ball back and rather than retain the ball and slow the game down we gave the ball back and let Spurs attack us.

Feel really good with the way we are playing and DiMatteo is growing into manager of choice for all. Il try and contain myself so early in the season but this is an excellent start. Some great displays by so many players.

Reading a few earlier post about Torres, i have to agree he is not at the same level as our holy trinity and he should have more goals with the chances he has had. Im not giving up on him and il will stick with what i said before. This should be is defining season and if he does not take it up a notch or two we should look to replace him with Falcao/Shurrle in the summer.

I really do have faith in Sturridge and if he is given a go at the central striker i know he will be mega. Any one who says he cannot work as a sole striker IMO is wrong, for such a young guy he has all the attributes to be great and his only downfall is his attitude.

If he bides his time he will get games, money and trophys with us and have a massive career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

maximoose wrote: »
    Missed the last two goals of this match on Saturday. That assist from Hazard just made me sexwee...

And the really sexy thing is it could have easily been Oscar or Mata making the pass, they all interchange so much biggrin.png

If Falcao keeps winning Atletico AMdrid games then nobody will be able to afford him.

The guy is the hottest property around right now, every time he gets the ball you expect him to score.

The only thing Sturridge has over Torres at the moment is pace, he cant compete like Torres, he hasnt shown willingness to do the team work Torres does and he isnt as good in the air.

Torres main attribute when he came to the EL was pace, hes lost that but he still has a football brain and awareness of his team mates movement and positioning that Sturridge doesn't have, Sturridge will beat most in a foot race but thats not all you need in a striker.

Sturridge selfishness could bag him more goals over the course of the season but unless he improves his overall game dramatically he wont dislodge Torres from the starting XI.

If Falcao keeps winning Atletico AMdrid games then nobody will be able to afford him.

The guy is the hottest property around right now, every time he gets the ball you expect him to score.

The only thing Sturridge has over Torres at the moment is pace, he cant compete like Torres, he hasnt shown willingness to do the team work Torres does and he isnt as good in the air.

Torres main attribute when he came to the EL was pace, hes lost that but he still has a football brain and awareness of his team mates movement and positioning that Sturridge doesn't have, Sturridge will beat most in a foot race but thats not all you need in a striker.

Sturridge selfishness could bag him more goals over the course of the season but unless he improves his overall game dramatically he wont dislodge Torres from the starting XI.

Sorry Gav i cant agree, your point above can be higlighted by Sturridges goal the weekend. Sturridge is a much better poacher and is better at taken on his man than Torres. Torres seems to have lost his touch. Sturridge has yet to get a good run in the team as a central striker and he is strong in the air for his size, strong and very mobile.

what a day wrote: »
    Sorry Gav i cant agree, your point above can be higlighted by Sturridges goal the weekend. Sturridge is a much better poacher and is better at taken on his man than Torres. Torres seems to have lost his touch. Sturridge has yet to get a good run in the team as a central striker and he is strong in the air for his size, strong and very mobile.

Strong and mobile isnt good enough though, look at Lukaku who would be bigger and stronger and more mobile then Drogba.

It was decided he needed game time to improve and that he wasnt good enough for Chelsea and that the games he needed weren't going to come with us, which is understandable when you look at Torres/Sturridge who are better then Lukaku now.

Torres job isnt to be a poacher or to be winger taking on his man though thats where the problem identifying whos better for the team is occuring.

Yes Sturridge is better at one on ones with a CB/FB and more likely to go by him and yes hes quicker but everything in between them points Torres trumps him and thats a better fit for the team and how we play.

What I can see seperates the two on their main strengths,
    Sturridge:
    Faster
    Better at taking on people
    Selfish streak

Torres :
    Better in the air
    Better team player
    Better build up play
    More intelligent footballer

Torres main attributes lend more favourably to a sole CF then Danny's.

If there was a time we changed and went 2 up top I'd say they would score a bucket load, certainly helped Danny at Bolton, but that system wont happen.

If Danny wanst to put in the effort then he should signa contract and state hes here for the long run, chelsea FC owe him nothing and if he has an attitude that he should be starting then that has to change or he'll never get a chance with Chelsea.

There will be a point that Torres will be rested or dropped and Danny is an adequate replacement that hopefully can fill the gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Had forgotten but reminded on Twitter,

Matthew Harding died 16 years ago, today. What a great man he was for the club and forget about Bates as architect for Chelsea's later success, it was down in huge part to Matthew Harding. RIP

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Had forgotten but reminded on Twitter,

Matthew Harding died 16 years ago, today. What a great man he was for the club and forget about Bates as architect for Chelsea's later success, it was down in huge part to Matthew Harding. RIP

16 Years? :eek:

Jaysus time is flying.

• Advertisement

Phoenix wrote: »
    Reading about the aftermath of that tragedy Bates certainly didn't do himself any favours in popularity stakes with the fans thats for sure

Ken Bates has done many good things for the club but some of the stuff hes come out with over the years are just stupid.

Securing Chelsea's future at Stamford Bridge back then was excellent business but at the moment and under Romans tenure, it could hinder us but that was impossible to predict all those years ago.

* Paging Phoenix to create a match thread, Phoenix for a match thread please. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Heard Dunphy on the radio last night saying he's not convinced by us. Thinks we'll be found out when we play Utd. or City.

bullpost wrote: »
    Heard Dunphy on the radio last night saying he's not convinced by us. Thinks we'll be found out when we play Utd. or City.

Well TBF to Dunphy if we were playing badly he'd say that RDM is a bluffer and that the players we bought weren't good enough and expensive luxuries.

Dunphy used to have an informed critical view on football but hes more interested in the shock value really.

Disregarding beating 2 of the top 4 from last year away is stupid, especially when we have to play both Manchester clubs at home.

we're definetly contenders an d I dont think we'll keep up our impresive start over the season but we'll be in the shake up at the end of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yep - there are obvious weaknesses in the team, but I don't see any other team that's streets ahead of us right now . If we can avoid key injuries we will definitely be there or thereabouts.
    Well TBF to Dunphy if we were playing badly he'd say that RDM is a bluffer and that the players we bought weren't good enough and expensive luxuries.

Dunphy used to have an informed critical view on football but hes more interested in the shock value really.

Disregarding beating 2 of the top 4 from last year away is stupid, especially when we have to play both Manchester clubs at home.

we're definetly contenders an d I dont think we'll keep up our impresive start over the season but we'll be in the shake up at the end of May.

Dunphy is a moron if you ask me, he is just a comical character.

When Man Utd was on a simular run last season good oul eamo was saying Utd are running away with the title and we were an old squad that wont win any thing :)

Of course we are a team to be in with a shout, especially if we can keep our momentum and avoid a series of injuries. We have a top quality squad and strength in dept so we should be in the top 3 come the end of the season.

The only problem I can see us running into is if Torres/Sturridge gets injured.

The other CF will have to be nursed through games and maybe one of the holy trinity will have to play upfront.

Although its only like 75 days until January so we'll be ok. :pac:

We are fine with two strikers sure we only play one at a time and like you said if both get injuried im sure Mata can move forward and Lamps can play in midfield plus we have Piazon and Luiz :D

• Advertisement

I'm telling ya Luiz would bang them inif he played up front.

Sure all Brazilians can play upfront. :pac:

Remember Willian? the guy we were after that plays for Shakhtar?

Hes come out saying this : http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2914/champions-league/2012/10/23/3470868/chelsea-and-tottenham-made-summer-offers-for-shakhtar?source=breakingnews

"There were two offers in the summer," he told Lancenet.

"One from Chelsea and one from Tottenham. Choosing between the two clubs would be difficult. I don't know."

Roberto Di Matteo’s club spent big in the summer transfer market in the wake of their Champions’ League win, with Willian’s compatriot Oscar and Belgian winger Eden Hazard amongst the more high-profile of the signatures that were secured.

Willian's club manager, Mircea Lucescu, also revealed Chelsea's coveting of his playmaker in the summer, claiming the London club had made a "big mistake" in missing out on the Brazilian.

The 24-year-old also spoke of the attraction of joining Chelsea’s Premier League rivals Tottenham and specifically their newly-appointed manager.

I mean, Tottenham is a big club and it has a good person in charge. Andre Villas-Boas wanted to bring me to Chelsea and also tried at Tottenham," Willian added.

"He always sends me messages. We are always in touch, and he has become a friend, for sure. And Chelsea is Chelsea. They are a great team, with amazing players and are the champions of Europe."

Despite his contentment in his current situation, where Willian is one of a large Brazilian contingent at Shakhtar, the attacker hinted that a move to one of Europe’s more high-profile leagues could well boost his chances for the Brazilian national team.

He said: "Everybody knows what my goal is. I've clearly stated that I would like to play in a bigger stage, whether it be England, Spain or Italy.

"I want to come back to the national team, and being in a bigger spotlight would help me get noticed."

I'm glad we didnt get him TBH. Much happier with Oscar/Hazard/Moses/Marin.

Also, he says AVB tried to sign him and swends him messages, quick somebody grass AVB to the authorities for tapping up players. :pac:

Some trash talk from fernandinho or some one like that. Fair play buddy we will see later.

Fernandinho – signed by Shakhtar in 2005 for £7 million – for one is appalled at Terry’s attitude, and has warned that he will not be responsible for his actions should he be racially abused by the former England captain in the heat of battle.

“I’m happy to say that I’ve never have suffered such an act, in my time playing in Ukraine or playing in Brazil, but if someone is ever racist towards me, I really couldn’t predict how I would react. I would go wild,” said the 27-year-old club vice captain ahead of Chelsea’s visit.

“In my opinion if someone commits such a crime, them it should be very severely punished.”

Fernandinho, who knows Chelsea’s Brazilian trio of Oscar, David Luiz and Ramires well though international duty, continued: “I think this issue of racism in football is one of the most unpleasant things in our time.”
    Shakhtar have won all 12 matches in their domestic league this season and have an enviable record at home, though they were defeated 2-0 by Portuguese giants Porto last November in their penultimate Champions League group game.
    Ultimately that result caused them to miss out on advancement to the last 16 of the continent’s premier competition.
    This season they have begun move encouragingly, however, and swept past Danish champions Nordsjaelland 2-0 at home before earning a commendable 1-1 draw in Turin against Juventus. Fernandinho knows that tonight’s game, against the holders, could determine whether they progress to the knockout stages this term.
    “Our team’s spirit is great and this season we are the strongest ever Shakhtar side – and it shows by our results,” he added. “The atmosphere has been great before the Chelsea game. We know we will have a very hard game, we will be playing against the Champion’s League winners.
    “I think we will defeat Chelsea in both games, but for now we are fully concentrated on the first game at the Donbass Arena.
    “Of course, beating Chelsea at home will give us a better opportunity to qualify for the last 16.
    “We all believe that this year we will reach the finals and win the Champion’s League – and beating the defending champions will show everyone how far we have come.”

Kind of contradicted himself
    " I really couldn’t predict how I would react. I would go wild "

:p

3 points are a real possbility tonight but not losing is the main aim, take them back to the Bridge and beat them, 4 points from 6 would be nice.

Yeah that chap sounds like a right numpty, for a start he says he would find it hard to chosse between Chelsea and Spurs:eek: like that is a hard choice ha ha

Yeah your right Gav, we have to go there looking for 3 points and go and attack them. We should be going there to win although id be happy enough with a draw i dont swallow all the hype over them. Sure they are a decent team but they are no better than Spurs IMO.

Im looking forward to this one and our PL game against Utd. If we can draw one of them two games and win one id be delighted.

I'd take a draw tonight if it meant we could beat Utd.

In all fairness retaining the UCL is near impossible, Man Utd have come close, after beating us and thenlosing the following Final to Barca. Weirdly enough Milan won it beating Barca 4-0 then lost it to Ajax in the next year only who then and lost to Juventus, who then also done the same, beating Ajax and losing to Dortmund in the following final. :D

• Advertisement

Totally agree, i think our number one target this season should be to win another PL title. Now we have secured the CL we should try rack up a few league titles. A good run in the KO stage of the CL and a PL will do me this season :D

Would love a win against Utd on Sunday!!!!

After last season when we were 3-0 and then finish 3-3 I think we have to win.

TBF we've an excellent record at the Bridge against Utd. Our last league loss to Utd was back in 2002 and we've usually had the upper hand in these games.

Another win will put us 7 points clear of them which is good for us to have a bit of a gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

What channel is the game on? i cant seem to find who is showing it, i bet RTE are showing United :mad:

S28382 wrote: »
    What channel is the game on? i cant seem to find who is showing it, i bet RTE are showing United :mad:

Sky Sports 2 I think & yes, Utd are on RTE, for a change. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Sky Sports 2 I think & yes, Utd are on RTE, for a change. :p

• Advertisement

S28382 wrote: »

Annoying, I know.

I'm sure our game against Shakhtar will be a better game then Utd's but Utd are the biggest supported side in the competition and RTE/TV3 will always pander to the masses.

Anyway for what its worth Sky > RTE for coverage, RTE for some half time anaylsis. :)

I think its on sky sports 4, could be wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It is on SS4. Coverage starts at 7:30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I think we're on Sky Sports 4.

Utd are on UTV tonight, RTE don't show CL matches on Tuesdays.

RTE2 are showing the City game tomorrow.

Training at 7 so recording this game anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

is Marin injured or can't get in the team? I'm,afraid Torres must be dropped
    now, I've been patient but he was dreadful tonight, lack of pace and desire to make runs.

We were shocking tonight overan in midfield lack of effort to close down the opposition

Whem the team isnt playing well calling to drop Torres is sill.

Nobody out there played well. Cech made some decent saves but every player was poor.

Its just one defeat were still 2nd and we have 2 home games to win that will see us through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

The 2-1 scoreline flattered us in all honesty, lacklustre to say the least.

Not good heading into Sunday's game on the back of that defeat. Whereas Manchester head into the game having come back from a 2 goal deficit to win.

RDM has to rip into them really. Thats our 2nd UCL away game this season weve been under par. Shakhtar are a good team they proved it but we dont impose ourselves enough.

Sturridge should have come on to help Torres not replace him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement