Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Whats with all the panic?
    They got a fluke goal and I fully expect us to win all our home games
    We will be ready and focused from the start next time

We are still finding our feet with the new style and new players - most of whom dont like tracking back.
    RDM should have changed it earlier, gone for wingers or put on Danny with Torres. We need a plan B
    Plus for all the good start to the season, Oscar and Hazard are still having quiet moments in games. Oscar in particular is still very much finding his feet, and for me goes missing a lot in games, and then bang does a good pass.
    And we deffo need an alternative to Torres. He's very one dimensional and we need an alternative who make things happen rather than wait for a certain type of ball

IMO Chelsea expect a title challenge (which is happening nicely) and CL semi final - which is trickier, but I still expect to make the knockout stages and if we get a tough match - so be it.
    I'll be amazed if we dont buy another striker in Jan, even if it is young upcoming one rather than Falco

Chelsea are still very much evolving, I did read one article that said it was funny how the holy trinity are taking the EPL by storm, yet Barca etc didnt come in for them, so it shows how weak the EPL is!
    Mostly wrong but there is some truth to that, we have over hyped them a lot and they will get better but I think we are still a couple of players away from being near to the finished article - striker and midfielder for one, plus a quick but "boringly stable" defender - a carvallo for this team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The Ferdinand's call a truce with Cole and Terry if the Daily Mail is to be believed.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2222602/Anton-Rio-Ferdinand-truce-John-Terry-Ashley-Cole.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Whats with all the panic?
    They got a fluke goal and I fully expect us to win all our home games
    We will be ready and focused from the start next time

We are still finding our feet with the new style and new players - most of whom dont like tracking back.
    RDM should have changed it earlier, gone for wingers or put on Danny with Torres. We need a plan B
    Plus for all the good start to the season, Oscar and Hazard are still having quiet moments in games. Oscar in particular is still very much finding his feet, and for me goes missing a lot in games, and then bang does a good pass.
    And we deffo need an alternative to Torres. He's very one dimensional and we need an alternative who make things happen rather than wait for a certain type of ball

IMO Chelsea expect a title challenge (which is happening nicely) and CL semi final - which is trickier, but I still expect to make the knockout stages and if we get a tough match - so be it.
    I'll be amazed if we dont buy another striker in Jan, even if it is young upcoming one rather than Falco

Chelsea are still very much evolving, I did read one article that said it was funny how the holy trinity are taking the EPL by storm, yet Barca etc didnt come in for them, so it shows how weak the EPL is!
    Mostly wrong but there is some truth to that, we have over hyped them a lot and they will get better but I think we are still a couple of players away from being near to the finished article - striker and midfielder for one, plus a quick but "boringly stable" defender - a carvallo for this team

Barca not coming in for them therefore making them " bad players " is a stupid thing to say in an article.

Oscar, Mata & Hazard are all full internationals for their countries and have taken to Europe and the EPL with ease.

Barca dont have the money to spend like we do and they didnt need the Oscars or Hazards of this world as their squad, especially their AM's are fairly complete. That article really is stupid TBH.

If anything we haven't hyped them as much as we should, them lads are doing the business at the end, its the back line that is leaking goals that will cost us.

We have 2 quick defenders in Luiz & Cahill but we need one more to challenge for the long term I reckon.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Barca not coming in for them therefore making them " bad players " is a stupid thing to say in an article.

Oscar, Mata & Hazard are all full internationals for their countries and have taken to Europe and the EPL with ease.

Barca dont have the money to spend like we do and they didnt need the Oscars or Hazards of this world as their squad, especially their AM's are fairly complete. That article really is stupid TBH.

If anything we haven't hyped them as much as we should, them lads are doing the business at the end, its the back line that is leaking goals that will cost us.

We have 2 quick defenders in Luiz & Cahill but we need one more to challenge for the long term I reckon.

Apparently we bid 18 million for Subotic in the summer and it was knocked back.
    Hard to get Dortmund players

Apparently we bid 18 million for Subotic in the summer and it was knocked back.
    Hard to get Dortmund players

I would rather Hummels but theres even less chance of getting him then Subotic IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Think hes counting the Atletico game, making it 1 from 4.
    thats just silly now !!

stat fiddling if I ever saw it ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

the_monkey wrote: »
    thats just silly now !!

stat fiddling if I ever saw it ...

No just comparing your form against European opposition compared to the Premier League. (I come here for a bit of light relief, away from the anguish of the Arsenal forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

greendom wrote: »
    No just comparing your form against European opposition compared to the Premier League. (I come here for a bit of light relief, away from the anguish of the Arsenal forum)

Stay off twitter today then. It's just full of Arsenal AGM stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

amiable wrote: »
    Stay off twitter today then. It's just full of Arsenal AGM stuff

I don't do Twitter at work - that joy awaits me when I get home.

Sky are saying Chelsea have offered John Terry to Valencia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Im not worried about any thing yet, we lost to a really good Shaktar side which got a huge chunk of luck with their first goal and Lamps picking up an injury. Right from the start we got off on the wrong foot but i would not say we need to change a whole lot.

IMO we give some teams too much repect and have fear in our attack some times. We have to put our foot on the gas and attack from start to finish in every game we play weather we are at home or away.

I watch how Torres goes out wide and puts in great crosses to no strikers and 4ft9" attacking midfeilders. That has to stop. Torres should not leave the area when we attack. Mata Oscar and Hazard have to pull defenders out to create space while Ramires can bomb forward and Cole flanks their RBs.

We are getting closer to finding out our true ability but its going to take time to gel and we are a new team. Im happy with our defenders even though we made one or two mistakes but this can be fixed.

We should be playing on Sunday for a win and nothing else. Utd are our closest rivals at the moment and we need to create some space. We have more than enough to beat them and we should not give too much caution the way we do. attack and dont stop attacking untill the ref blows for full time!!!

Sky are saying Chelsea have offered John Terry to Valencia

Thats a weird one.

I thought Valencia were fairly stuck for cash, now I'm sure theyed get him ata discount price but then you have to factor in about €150K a week for his wages that he'd probably want, although I think at this stage in his career hes only worth about half that.

Unless Chelsea offer to pay a % of his wages for the length of his first contract with Valencia.

Thats a weird one.

I thought Valencia were fairly stuck for cash, now I'm sure theyed get him ata discount price but then you have to factor in about €150K a week for his wages that he'd probably want, although I think at this stage in his career hes only worth about half that.

Unless Chelsea offer to pay a % of his wages for the length of his first contract with Valencia.

Spain have a more favourable tax system for foreign players so gross pay wouldn't need to be as much as Chelsea pay.
    Also I don't think Valencia are in as bad a situation as they were before.

Spain have a more favourable tax system for foreign players so gross pay wouldn't need to be as much as Chelsea pay.
    Also I don't think Valencia are in as bad a situation as they were before.

Were they not considering taxing the foreign players to the hilt a few months ago? Thought I heard it somewhere.

Could be a good deal though, the club moves on JT and his wages and bad PR.

If it those happen then the old guard's days are well and truly numbered.

Were they not considering taxing the foreign players to the hilt a few months ago? Thought I heard it somewhere.

Could be a good deal though, the club moves on JT and his wages and bad PR.

If it those happen then the old guard's days are well and truly numbered.

They probably were considering the high unemployment in Spain but I'm not sure if it has been implemented yet.
    Still only a rumour at this stage :)

They probably were considering the high unemployment in Spain but I'm not sure if it has been implemented yet.
    Still only a rumour at this stage :)

If Spain seek a bailout they might go after the high earners so could effect the footballers, definitely one to watch.

and heres the chelsea reposte as expected - nonsense of course!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/chelsea-say-rumours-they-are-negotiating-sale-of-john-terry-to-valencia-are-nonsense-8226898.html

Chelsea have branded claims they are negotiating the sale of John Terry to Valencia as “nonsense”.
    Spanish agent Francois Gallardo claimed this morning that Terry was mulling over a move to Valencia after deciding to leave Stamford Bridge.
    "Valencia are negotiating, and I am involved in person," Gallardo told Radio Intereconomia.
    "The offer is on his table. The player is out of contract in June and will not renew there for several reasons at Chelsea and he wants to come to Spain.
    "He asked to leave. It's real. This has been going on for 15 days and two meetings have already took place. I think he will accept."
    The Blues were quick to rubbish the claims this afternoon, however, with a club spokesman telling Press Association Sport that the story was "nonsense."
    Terry, who has 18 months left on his deal at Stamford Bridge, is currently serving a four-match ban for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.
    The former England skipper has played for the London club throughout his professional career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I have to say I'm surpsired Terry & more so Ashley Cole havnt decided to up sticks and try out a different league yet, for years both have been hated by most fans. If it was me id be gone to La Liga, nice weather, culture & winter breaks, beats getting booed every week & the media slating you all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Caveman1 wrote: »
    I have to say I'm surpsired Terry & more so Ashley Cole havnt decided to up sticks and try out a different league yet, for years both have been hated by most fans. If it was me id be gone to La Liga, nice weather, culture & winter breaks, beats getting booed every week & the media slating you all the time.

Tbf they have brought all that on themselves, they both don't know how to keep a low profile at all. Having said that the fact that they are english means they are always going to recieve more attention from the media. In spain they would just be another foreign player and blend into the backgroung, life would be a lot easier for them.

• Advertisement

It would hurt if Terry left Chelsea ... some people will say after winning the CL he has nothing left to achieve with the club, but he is immense on and off the pitch - without him the club could lose confidence.

JT- Captain, Leader, Legend.

It would hurt if Terry left Chelsea ... some people will say after winning the CL he has nothing left to achieve with the club, but he is immense on and off the pitch - without him the club could lose confidence.

It will be a sad day for Chelsea fans when Terry leaves but IMO this will be his last season, Cole too. I'm sure Roman isn't going to want them sticking around much longer, especially with all the bad press the club have received over them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20048383

_63664474_chelsea-man-united.jpg
    Chelsea v Man Utd (16:00 BST)

This is Chelsea's biggest test. I know they went to Arsenal and Tottenham and won but Manchester United are a different animal because they can create goals out of nothing with their forward line.
    We have seen something different from United of late because, for quite a few weeks now, they have played with no recognised wide man.
    United are using a diamond in midfield instead and I think the reasons for that are as much about trying to tighten up their defence as trying to fit all their attacking players into their line-up. Let's face it, they never struggle to score goals.
    United's striking conundrum

"Javier Hernandez staked his claim for a United starting place with two goals against Braga in the Champions League but I think Danny Welbeck is a better player.
    "Hernandez might be a cleverer finisher but Welbeck is more of an all-round player. He is a finisher, can lead the line on his own and sees things as well.
    "He is also quick and game as a badger - he will run all day for you and is a gem of a lad. The good thing for him is that he can sneak under the radar, with Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney making all the headlines."

While they are waiting for Nemanja Vidic, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones to get fit, it is maybe the case that they have to play that way because they are a little too open otherwise.
    But what hasn't helped them defensively is Sir Alex Ferguson changing his goalkeeper on a regular basis, and it is probably time for him to decide between David de Gea and Anders Lindegaard.
    Even if Vidic and Rio Ferdinand were playing on a regular basis it would be a bad idea to keep alternating keepers because you are looking for your centre-backs to have some kind of understanding with their keeper.
    When you have different centre-backs all the time, it is even more important that they both know what the keeper is thinking. You want to know if he is going to come for crosses.
    With Chelsea's creative trio of Juan Mata, Eden Hazard and Oscar being in such fine form, De Gea might be busy on Sunday.
    But I just have a feeling that after all the talk about their defensive deficiencies, United will keep a clean sheet at Stamford Bridge.
    Chelsea are flying in the Premier League but they lost to Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League on Tuesday and they did not have a very happy night.
    Fernando Torres in particular struggled and, reminiscent of a former Chelsea striker who toiled at times, it looked like he had Andriy Shevchenko's piano on his back.
    Torres could well be tired because he has started pretty much every game. If he gets injured or loses form then Chelsea are going to struggle.
    Daniel Sturridge is their other option up front but that does not work for me. Sturridge might score goals against lesser teams but I don't see him doing it on a regular basis against the top sides.
    Prediction: 0-1

AH PISS OFF LAWRO !

I could not blame either player if they left for a bigger pay cheque TBH. Their thropy cabnet is full of medals and awards so why not cash in on a final pay day.

However i would like to see us hold on to Cole for another season.
    The reason behind the thinking is we can bleed in Bertrand this season to eventually take over. Loan Bertrand next season for first team action with a top club. While Bertie is on loan we can bring in PVA and do the same with him. Let Cole take him under his wing for his final season with us and the following season we will have gotten the best from Cole and nurturing in PAV and Bertrand to take over.

Terry on the other hand, he is still an amazing defender, only problem is he is too slow for an attacking team. Cahill has show enough for me to be capable of taking over from Terry and with Ivan Cahill and Luiz all ready to play for CB plus the likes of Hutch and Chalobha coming through i dont think we would miss Terry as much as some people think.

what a day wrote: »
    I could not blame either player if they left for a bigger pay cheque TBH. Their thropy cabnet is full of medals and awards so why not cash in on a final pay day.

However i would like to see us hold on to Cole for another season.
    The reason behind the thinking is we can bleed in Bertrand this season to eventually take over. Loan Bertrand next season for first team action with a top club. While Bertie is on loan we can bring in PVA and do the same with him. Let Cole take him under his wing for his final season with us and the following season we will have gotten the best from Cole and nurturing in PAV and Bertrand to take over.

Terry on the other hand, he is still an amazing defender, only problem is he is too slow for an attacking team. Cahill has show enough for me to be capable of taking over from Terry and with Ivan Cahill and Luiz all ready to play for CB plus the likes of Hutch and Chalobha coming through i dont think we would miss Terry as much as some people think.

We also have Jeffrey Bruma who's out on loan at the moment but he's doing well with Hamburg, he can play CB/RB.

I think Terry is past it tbh, he never had pace but he seems to have got even slower & will just get caught out more times than not.

I think we should focus on playing Luiz/Cahill for the rest of the season so they can become more fimaliar with each other. Let Terry play the Lamps role, bring him on every now & then.

If Lawro predicts a Utd win we'll more then likely win so I'm happy he put them down for a win.

;)

• Advertisement

Spot on Gav, after Larwos prediction i know we are gonna win and win handsomely by Larwo :D

He totally contradics himself by saying Torres is crap but we will struggle if he gets injuried.

Lawro was a fine player but as a pundit hes a bit of an eejit at times TBH.

It will be our toughest test by far and I predict goals but I'm hoping we can beat them.

4-2 Chelsea. :p

Marko Marin is back training with the squad, hopefully he gets a run out against United next wednesday in the capitol one cup.

Lawro was a fine player but as a pundit hes a bit of an eejit at times TBH.

It will be our toughest test by far and I predict goals but I'm hoping we can beat them.

4-2 Chelsea. :p

Everyone including myself expecting a goal fest. This only means one thing 0-0 draw :pac:

Marko Marin is back training with the squad, hopefully he gets a run out against United next wednesday in the capitol one cup.

Finally!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Utd are so good that anything less then 100% at our best from every player could cost us.

What helped us against Spurs was Gallas having a nightmare of a game, I'm not confident that Utd will hold us back, we will score but we have to be better at the back as we're going to be playing the best attacking threat we've faced in the EPL so far.

Hopefully Kagawa is out, might help us out.

Edit : Kagamwa is out, will probably mean Valencia coming in to replace him which has its own set of problems.

never underdstood the legend bit and for me, not a legend.
    Only Zola - a gent on the pitch and off it

Sure he has the leadership battle cry qualitys but for me the cult of the individual makes no sense and his recent actions have damaged not only his rep but the clubs rep and sadly thats how he will always be remembered

Sure he has the leadership battle cry qualitys but for me the cult of the individual makes no sense and his recent actions have damaged not only his rep but the clubs rep and sadly thats how he will always be remembered

Move over JT...............we have a new legend for Sunday

David_Luiz-United_1838657i.jpg

I would have to disagree with you there Sgt, he's Captained Chelsea during the most successful period of our history. Not only has he put in countless motm displays but he's put his body on the line & shown more commitment to the club than any player to ever wear a Chelsea shirt IMO

I have to agree Caveman, JT is a legend as is Drogba Cole Cech and Lampard from this Era

I would have to disagree with you there Sgt, he's Captained Chelsea during the most successful period of our history. Not only has he put in countless motm displays but he's put his body on the line & shown more commitment to the club than any player to ever wear a Chelsea shirt IMO

Oh I'm not denying his performances - I just think the word "legend" is misused

I'd hold Lampard in a higher regard then JT, not just a person but as a footballer.

The records he set as a midifelder for this club is unreal. He may struggle to reach double figures in goals this season for the first time in about a decade but the guy is a perfect role model IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I'm never going to doubt what jt has done for the club and I do consider him a legend in footballling terms but off the pitch he has let himself down so badly. Does Ryan giggs's antics off the pitch make him any less a legend for utd? I don't think so!
    He may be guilty of some horrendous acts in his personal life but one thing that really irritates me is when any body mentions either jt or Ryans name you get people coming out and slamming them for incidents in there private life football should be judged on the pitch and not off it, leave the ok magazine trash talk to the women!

But jt still didn't win the champions league!!! Call it karma if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Gonna have a nice few quid on yous sunday lads, -1 goal its 7/2 for yous I think that is a great price considering how well yous have been playing in the Prem Lge. I think yous are gonna win 3/4-1 Utd are very poor at the back.

• Advertisement

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I'm never going to doubt what jt has done for the club and I do consider him a legend in footballling terms but off the pitch he has let himself down so badly. Does Ryan giggs's antics off the pitch make him any less a legend for utd? I don't think so!
    He may be guilty of some horrendous acts in his personal life but one thing that really irritates me is when any body mentions either jt or Ryans name you get people coming out and slamming them for incidents in there private life football should be judged on the pitch and not off it, leave the ok magazine trash talk to the women!

But jt still didn't win the champions league!!! Call it karma if you will.

He did win it though, just because you dont play in the final doesnt mean anything.

I think Roy Keane said he feelshe didnt win it coz he wasnt on the pitch at the time, completely missing the point of it all really.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Gonna have a nice few quid on yous sunday lads, -1 goal its 7/2 for yous I think that is a great price considering how well yous have been playing in the Prem Lge. I think yous are gonna win 3/4-1 Utd are very poor at the back.

We might be slighter better at the back and in midfield but I think Utd will score so its just a case of out scoring them.

If we play like we have in the league we should take it, if we play like we have in the UCL we'll be beat well.

Should be a very nervy game but we havent lost to Utd in the league at the Bridge in about 8 or 9 years.

He did win it though, just because you dont play in the final doesnt mean anything.

I think Roy Keane said he feelshe didnt win it coz he wasnt on the pitch at the time, completely missing the point of it all really.

We might be slighter better at the back and in midfield but I think Utd will score so its just a case of out scoring them.

If we play like we have in the league we should take it, if we play like we have in the UCL we'll be beat well.

Should be a very nervy game but we havent lost to Utd in the league at the Bridge in about 8 or 9 years.

The holy trinity will need to track back and tackle
    Which Torres will we see?
    Luiz vs little pea :eek:
    RVP!

its going to be some game, I was really confident after the spurs game but now not so sure!

The holy trinity will need to track back and tackle
    Which Torres will we see?
    Luiz vs little pea :eek:
    RVP!

its going to be some game, I was really confident after the spurs game but now not so sure!

I dont think chico will start TBh.

Think Utd will go with :

De gea

Rafael Evans Ferdinand Evra

Carrick Scholes

Valencia Rooney Welbeck

RVP

Rooney will play off RVP and help out Utd in CM I reckon.

I'm pretty confident about sunday, I'd consider Arsenal away a tougher fixture than this especially with United leaking goals so easily.

Its good to have Sturridge back too, can't do us any harm having a replacement for Torres if things aren't going well.

I'm expecting a big game from Hazard, he's been a lot quieter the past few games, I no he cant put in motm performances every week but I'd expect one Sunday with it being such a big fixture.

The weekend is going to drag now waiting for this game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Chelsea are leaking goals too... this could be a high scoring affair. Still, all things considered, even a draw isn't a complete disaster. Love to see a win. Would be a real validation of this team.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Chelsea are leaking goals too... this could be a high scoring affair. Still, all things considered, even a draw isn't a complete disaster. Love to see a win. Would be a real validation of this team.

People keep saying Chelsea are leaking goals but along with Arsenal, Chelsea have the best defensive record in the league only conceding 6 goals in 8 games, whereas United have conceded 11 almost double the amount as us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

according to sky sports Lampard may be out for a couple of weeks. Would love to see Torres dropped after he's last few games. Hoping for a good Chelsea win and top of the table even with a loss.

People keep saying Chelsea are leaking goals but along with Arsenal, Chelsea have the best defensive record in the league only conceding 6 goals in 8 games, whereas United have conceded 11 almost double the amount as us.

Ok so :o but we're definitely given up too many chances and a better strike force, like Utd have, well likely punish us. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

JT was managing the team too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Gringo180 wrote: »

Poor bet to be taking considering Chelsea played in Ukraine on Tuesday and will make very few changes for Sunday.

It's hard enough to beat United by two clear goals with a fresh team, doing it in these circumstances is extremely tough and quite unlikely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement