Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

solarith wrote: »
    Can we please just get rid of Mikel.

Are you serious? Mikel has been excellent this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Well that was a frustrating game to say the least. Liverpool had a large chunk of percentage but most of the game was played in their half and final third.

Cant see why people are giving Torres stick? He was easily one of, if not our best player, Jones made 2 very good saves from him and he won balls, headers and brought people into play and took people on.

Ramires/Mikel were very good too and the back line for the most part kept Sterling/Suarez quiet.

The game was lost when Mata blazed his shot over before the half so if I'm been critical of anybody yesteday its him, a bread and butter chance one and one and he tried to power it in when a side foot was the best option, not hitting the target from where he was goes down as a shocking miss given his excellent form lately.

Our consistency isnt good enough and bringing on Moses & Sturridge done nothing for the game, we should have played on with what we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

What's the story with Marin, is he ever going to play for us ?

On the sky sports website, they are reporting a possible move back to Germany................

Techless wrote: »
    What's the story with Marin, is he ever going to play for us ?

On the sky sports website, they are reporting a possible move back to Germany................

Its a weird one that only RDM could answer.

I cant see him been to far off at least been a squad player but if he ismiles off then why was the transfer allowed to go through in the first place?

I'm giving serious consideration into going over to the FC Nord game on 5th December, depending on the result in Turin this game could be a very nervous affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Lads i have to say im trying my best to give Torres till the end of the season as our main striker but TBH im finding it very hard to beleive in him now. He done ok yesterday but ok is not enough for a club like CFC. I was thinking yesterday how good would we have been if we signed RVP......i know its a horrible taugh but its how i felt after yesterdays game.

We need a striker.............top priority. When Danny and Moses came on we got worse!!!
    Ramires for me was not offering enough cover to Bertrand and we were and are constantly been attacked down our left flank. Another poor poor goal to conceed and cost us valuable points at home. This is not form of champions im afraid, especially when you look at Utd coming back to win a game from 2 nill down, same goes for City when they are in such poor form they have not been beaten yet!

With our good start to the season i was full of confidence we could keep going and win the league but suddenly i have lost faith TBH. We didn try hard enough IMO as a team, yest Mata and Oscar missed sitters but we dont have enough fire power up front and we are not defending as a team.

Robbie DiMatteo will have to string some wins together and fast if he wants to keep his job, im sure Roman is only looking for an excuse to sack him and bring in Pep. If we dont sign a striker in January im gonna take it that Pep is getting the job come June.

What if we sign no striker in January and win the league / UCL & Torres is our top goal scorer?

Do we replace him and RDM then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Didnt see the game, but disappointed with the result.

If we dont win against WBA we could easily find ourselves 7 or 8 points off the top as our next game is against City....

On a different note, AVB lasted 256 days in the job, currently, RDM is on 252 days, how long more will he last.

Didnt see the game, but disappointed with the result.

If we dont win against WBA we could easily find ourselves 7 or 8 points off the top as our next game is against City....

WBA have been playing well under Clarke so its going to be a tough game to say the least.

So far we've beat Arsenal & Spurs away, lost to Utd at home and drew with Liverpool.

7 from 12 it isnt good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Some of you supposed chelsea fans are pathetic tbh. If you want to quickly lose faith with the modern chelsea fan then read a page on this thread and it's done.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Are you serious? Mikel has been excellent this season.
    Excellent? At what? Wasting possession?

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Some of you supposed chelsea fans are pathetic tbh. If you want to quickly lose faith with the modern chelsea fan then read a page on this thread and it's done.:rolleyes:

About which part though? Everyone is going to have a different opinion on a situaution/player/manager/result and at the end of the day it doesn't matter a f**k really what we think as it wont ever influence the club or a decision they make.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    What if we sign no striker in January and win the league / UCL & Torres is our top goal scorer?

Do we replace him and RDM then?

Im not saying to sack any one, im just saying if DiMatteo does not pick up the pace Roman will have his reason to sack him. And if Torres is our top goal scorer it depends on his performance, he should be scoring at least 20 goals this season minimum.

We need a striker that can link up with Mata Hazard and Oscar but also lead the line on the shoulder of defenders and get on the end of crosses from Cole and Ivan etc

His name is Radamel Falcao

MUSEIST wrote: »

Feelin touchie today Museist??

solarith wrote: »
    Excellent? At what? Wasting possession?

I thought he played well yesterday, his number one job and role is to stop Liverpool or any team from playing through us and himself and Ramires done that yesterday very well I thought.

Mikel's best work is the small sideways passes that get the team going and starts moves but hes not going to be 30 yards from goals for shots or assists but backing up the back four.

Mikel does the donkey work so Ramires can do the box to box work.

I have to agree Gav, im not Mikels biggest of fans but he had a quality game yesterday, was like a brick wall trough the middle and on our right flank.

Taught we were cut open time and time again down our left flank with is why Ramires did not protect bertie enough for me.

what a day wrote: »
    Im not saying to sack any one, im just saying if DiMatteo does not pick up the pace Roman will have his reason to sack him. And if Torres is our top goal scorer it depends on his performance, he should be scoring at least 20 goals this season minimum.

We need a striker that can link up with Mata Hazard and Oscar but also lead the line on the shoulder of defenders and get on the end of crosses from Cole and Ivan etc

His name is Radamel Falcao

We very rarely put balls into the box now a days, it would take Beckham like crossing to pick out one forward against 2, 3 defenders and neither FB are great at whipping in crosses, so even Drogba, never mind Falcao or Torres would struggle with crosses with us, we've moved on from that play its all build up and working the ball in.

We only throw balls in for frees and corners.

I'm willing to bet even if Torres scores 20 + goals people will come back and say Falcao would have got 30 + goals.

Its only November and we're 3 points off top, its hardly a crisis people. :P

I have to agree Gav, im not Mikels biggest of fans but he had a quality game yesterday, was like a brick wall trough the middle and on our right flank.

Taught we were cut open time and time again down our left flank with is why Ramires did not protect bertie enough for me.

Thats the down side of Ramires game he can get caught up field but when Cole is fit we shouldnt have that problem, Cole is very hard FB to beat, although I thought Bertrand played ok.

I cant pick anyone of our players that played badly really, some were ineffective but not bad just average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I cant pick anyone of our players that played badly really, some were ineffective but not bad just average.

This.

I don't think Mata or Hazard played as well as they usually do - still quality players, but not quite as dominant as earlier in the season. IMO, that's because liverpool were happy enough to sit back in midfield - Gerrard can still put a tackle in, and Allen also works hard.

Just one of those games, like Swansea, when you need the CF to really power through, or to nick a goal from a set piece. We managed that, but seemed rattled after Terry went off and let them into the game.

Bertrand put in one or two decent crosse's yesterday and Ivan always looks to cross early.
    Torres had a decent chance with header from a cross and terry scored from one, granted it was a corner but crosses are a very dangerous weapon to attack with.

I know its not our main weapon of choice and We look to work the ball through the middle but our full back have to provide width and crosses also. As iv said before il back Torres till the end of the season but i have backed him since we signed him and im finding it harder to back him these days.

Its not a crises by no means but its worring that we have dropped so many points in the last few games, lost a healty lead at the top of the PL and now we are drifting into 3rd place. Im starting to feel like the players are not pushing for a win like they should, we should of won the games yesterday, no excuses. We did not perform good enough and failed to score enough goals. Defensively we were ok, we kept a poor Liverpool side at bay and Ramires was fouled for the goal but we cannot use that as an excuse........SUAREZ Liverpools only striker was marked by Ramires FFS!!!

Defensively we were ok, we kept a poor Liverpool side at bay and Ramires was fouled for the goal but we cannot use that as an excuse........SUAREZ Liverpools only striker was marked by Ramires FFS!!!

Liverpool's main threats from that coorner were been makred though.

Wisdom, Carra, Johnson & Agger would have been picked up by Mikel, Cahill, Ivan, Torres.

There wa a push by Suarez but Ramires by Ramires not throwing himself down it was always going to stand, credit goes to Carragher for turning another badly hit corner into a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

I don't understand the stick that Mikel gets, there is a reason that he's getting so much game time, the jobs he does allows the likes of Hazard, Mata & Oscar to roam around. He also starts off a lot of our plays when the CB's split and he comes short to receive the ball from Cech.

I'm obviously disappointed at our recent form but a blip was bound to happen and we've also played an awful lot of games, including a game that went to extra time.

I think its time now we give Sturridge a run of games in the team, people are saying he was useless yesterday but even Messi would struggle to make an impact in a game coming on with 10 mins left. Torres is just not doing enough its that simple, Sturridge has shown from his time with Bolton that he can be prolific when given the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Phoenix wrote: »
    Would Felliani make a huge difference to the team?

No but Suarez would, he would be the person we need and he showed that yesterday. Torres is a lost cause at this stage. We are ok defensively brilliant from midfield and terrible from the top.

• Advertisement

S28382 wrote: »
    No but Suarez would, he would be the person we need and he showed that yesterday. Torres is a lost cause at this stage. We are ok defensively brilliant from midfield and terrible from the top.

I dont think Suarez is the type of player we need, he's a great player but we need and out & out striker, whereas Suarez likes to drift out and receive the ball, if he done that at Chelsea he'd only be occupying the space that Mata & Hazard operate in.

I would love for Chelsea to put a bid in for Higuain, surely Real owe us a favour for loaning them Essien :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

There are two dynamics - the short term and the long term.

Short term, yes we need another striker. I may be the last Chelsea fan alive thinking this, but this is Torres' first full season as the main striker. It was only the day before yesterday Drogs walked off in a blaze of glory. Let's see what happens over a full season. He could be on fire after Christmas. :pac:

The only striker I'd be interested in would be Falcao. Part of that is that a club the stature of Chelsea should be aiming to bring in the very, very best.

As for the long term, the back always feels ropey without Terry in it and we need a leader at the back (maybe I'm being unfair to Cahill). Terry's not getting any younger, but a one goal lead with JT feels defensible; without JT I'm waiting for the equalizer to come. Cole could be off in the summer, I don't know if we've got anyone as comfortable on the ball in our transfer sights.

Long term, we need those Barcelona-In-Blue ball players. For me, it still feels like a golden triangle of Mata-Oscar-Hazard playing to that standard and style with much of the rest of the team bolted on.

The main striker in particular needs to be on the same wavelength to anticipate and make the runs coming out of the little flicks and intricate passes.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    I dont think Suarez is the type of player we need, he's a great player but we need and out & out striker, whereas Suarez likes to drift out and receive the ball, if he done that at Chelsea he'd only be occupying the space that Mata & Hazard operate in.

I would love for Chelsea to put a bid in for Higuain, surely Real owe us a favour for loaning them Essien :pac:

Yeah that is true he does wander alot but i think he is a fantastic player and Liverpool will do well to hold onto him. Do you really think Higuain would do it in the premiership? i wonder how much of a chance we have of getting Falcao.

Yeah that is true he does wander alot but i think he is a fantastic player and Liverpool will do well to hold onto him. Do you really think Higuain would do it in the premiership? i wonder how much of a chance we have of getting Falcao.

I'm not sure how he'd get on tbf but he's just the type of player we need, I think it would be much less of a risk to buy Higuain than pay crazy amounts for Falcao, who I just cant see us getting unfortunately

Fellaini - Good player would mean replacing Ramires as we still need a DM and Fellaini wouoldnt be as good as Mikel at sitting there.

Suarez - Good player but not what we need right now.

Higuain/Falcao - Higuain for me, the guy is clinical, rarely needs more then a sniff for a goal.

Main difference between Higuain and Falcao is I reckon we'd get Higuain for less in transfer but more wages then Falcao.

TBH you're not losing much if you have to choose between Falcao or Higuain.

• Advertisement

Another thing about the game, Dave (Azpilicueta) had a solid game for my money.

I think we're sorted at RB now for awhile with him there.

I said it before and il say it again, i feel sick every time i see Aguero playing, imagin im up front with Mata Oscar and Hazard behind him!! No he is the type of player we could have done with, links up brilliant with midfielders, can beat a defender(or 2) and is clinical in front of goal.

As for Falcao i think he is currently the best striker in the world. There is nothing he cannot do, but do we spend 52m on him when he is near 27? Id rather spend that sort of money on Neymar TBH or even spend the 50m on Shurrle and Lewandawski or some one.

I think its a huge gamble on Falcao at his age, what if he flops at like Torres at a simular age, i think we would be lucky to get 22m for Torres now do we really wana risk another 52 on Falcao?

Swap deal? Torres + ££££ is the only way we'll get Falcao and get rid of Torres IMO.

I said it before and il say it again, i feel sick every time i see Aguero playing, imagin im up front with Mata Oscar and Hazard behind him!! No he is the type of player we could have done with, links up brilliant with midfielders, can beat a defender(or 2) and is clinical in front of goal.

As for Falcao i think he is currently the best striker in the world. There is nothing he cannot do, but do we spend 52m on him when he is near 27? Id rather spend that sort of money on Neymar TBH or even spend the 50m on Shurrle and Lewandawski or some one.

I think its a huge gamble on Falcao at his age, what if he flops at like Torres at a simular age, i think we would be lucky to get 22m for Torres now do we really wana risk another 52 on Falcao?

We wouldnt even get 15mill for Torres now ....unless the sheiks at PSG are going on another mental spending spree for average players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Swap deal? Torres + ££££ is the only way we'll get Falcao and get rid of Torres IMO.

Ive been saying that too , plus Torres gets to go home :D

We wouldnt even get 15mill for Torres now ....unless the sheiks at PSG are going on another mental spending spree for average players

Ibra, T.Silva, Verratti, Lavezzi & Pastore aren't average by any stretch of the imagine.

They wouldnt take or need Torres either IMO, I'm not sure Carlo wanted him at Chelsea let alone at PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Is Neymar a similar player to Falcao though?>how would either of them fit in the Chelsea team?

I'd say Neymar is like Messi, free to do what he likes in the final third, every team in the EPL needs at least one main threat and Falcao would be better plus we wont get Neymar, ever.

Is Neymar a similar player to Falcao though?>how would either of them fit in the Chelsea team?

No Neymar is a different type of striker but he has a lot of ability much like Falcao. Neymar can score from any angle like falcao, he can beat a defender like Falcao but Neymar has potential to be the next Messi/Ronaldo. He is quicker than Falcao and better on the ball, he likes to link up with play as well as run on past defenders.

Neymar for me would be my choice if we had to blow 50m on one player.
    But like Gav said there may be a chance of a swap deal for Falcao but i can see our pants been pulled down either way.

Ibra, T.Silva, Verratti, Lavezzi & Pastore aren't average by any stretch of the imagine.

They wouldnt take or need Torres either IMO, I'm not sure Carlo wanted him at Chelsea let alone at PSG.

Where ever he may go Chelsea are going to loose a serious amount of money.

• Advertisement

Where ever he may go Chelsea are going to loose a serious amount of money.

That was always going to happen when you spend that much money on a player though.

You'll never make anything back on him and you're hoping he does the business week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Carlo has repeatedly said that he sat down with Roman and asked for Torres, though I still think a pinch of salt with that one.
    For once, I dont think the blame is entirely with Torres. It is a tactical problem with RDM.
    Basically we are playing with no width, so we arent getting behind the defences and we are playing 3 No 10's who all like to cut inside.
    Oscar or Hazard shouldnt be starting so many games, we should be playing more natural width players like Moses or Marin
    That allows us to mix it up. Width and playmaker through balls.
    Torres still really hasnt had a lot of service and its the No 10's who are creating more their own chances or chances for the other No10's
    No width - all played through the middle, easy to defend, only once did we beat the trap and get Mata through.
    otherwise we are scoring from freekicks and corners.
    Not quite the creative freescoring side we like to imagine.
    RDM has to mix it up, be brave and drop one, or even two of the amigos.

Heres my rating from the game on Sunday anyway.

Cech - 6 - Solid performance, little to do.

Dave - 6 - Solid display, got up and down was rarely caught out.
    Ivan - 6 - Done well to shackle Suarez in open play.
    JT - 6 - Good goal, unfortunate injury.
    Cahill - 6 - Done well to shackle Suarez in open play.
    Bertie - 6 - Shakey at times but had an ok game, Sterling beat him the odd time but not enough to casue much problems.

Ramries - 7 - MoTm for Chelsea IMO. Broke up everything and charged forward, excellent runner with the ball leaves a bit to be desired technically.
    Mikel - 7 - Ran Rambo close to MoTM, good game in the middle and protected the back 4.

Mata - 6 - Missed a sitter by his standards but set piece delivery was decent.
    Oscar - 6 - Quite, made a few runs and tracked back to help Rambo and Mikel
    Hazard - 6 - Carried the ball well but was ineffective really.

Torres - 7 - Forced 2 great saves from Jones, did everything you want from a CF but score, link play and carrying of the ball was good.

I'd say Neymar is like Messi, free to do what he likes in the final third, every team in the EPL needs at least one main threat and Falcao would be better plus we wont get Neymar, ever.

Why do you think we wont get Neymar,ever?

We have a good brazilian influence, current european Champions and have as much money to spend as the next team. I would not say we dont have a chance at signing him. I think he would be an amazing signing for us...for any team!

Once he bulks but a little he could be the best striker in europe. Very simular to Ronaldo and if he can bulk up like Ronaldo did at Utd then i think Neymar could at least match him

This season with Santos he has scored 41 goals in 44 games and he is just 20 years old!!!!!
    When Ronaldo was that age he scored 9 goals in 50 games.

RDM has to mix it up, be brave and drop one, or even two of the amigos.

This.

Next game should be :

Moses---Mata--Hazard

Torres

Mata is better behind a striker and Oscar can be rested then as he doesnt have the same vision as Mata right at this moment, but he is exceptional in his own right.

Why do you think we wont get Neymar,ever?

He's La Liga bound, best players play there and its between Barca and Real to who'll get him.

We have a good brazilian influence, current european Champions and have as much money to spend as the next team. I would not say we dont have a chance at signing him. I think he would be an amazing signing for us...for any team!

Wont matter as hes committed to Santos until after the WC 2014.

Once he bulks but a little he could be the best striker in europe. Very simular to Ronaldo and if he can bulk up like Ronaldo did at Utd then i think Neymar could at least match him

This season with Santos he has scored 41 goals in 44 games and he is just 20 years old!!!!!
    When Ronaldo was that age he scored 9 goals in 50 games.

EPL > Brazil Serie A.

That was always going to happen when you spend that much money on a player though.

You'll never make anything back on him and you're hoping he does the business week in week out.

Not really, look at United they paid alot of money for RVP but the difference is he is scoring and justifying his price tag where as Torres is looking like he just cant cut it anymore so any money that Chelsea have put into him whether its a fee or wages is going down the pan.

Its the same concept if you buy a car if you get a car that is old enough and is every economical and you know the potential for selling it on for near your buying price is high then you dont mind taking a little bit of a hit as the car would of in a way paid for itself over time but if you buy an overpriced car that eats fuel then no one will want it so therefore your going to take a hit, and thats exactly what will happen with Chelsea and Torres. I would love to see Torres come good for Chelsea and i really thought he would but it just isnt going to happen for him and his high wages will put teams off.

Not really, look at United they paid alot of money for RVP but the difference is he is scoring and justifying his price tag where as Torres is looking like he just cant cut it anymore so any money that Chelsea have put into him whether its a fee or wages is going down the pan.

Its the same concept if you buy a car if you get a car that is old enough and is every economical and you know the potential for selling it on for near your buying price is high then you dont mind taking a little bit of a hit as the car would of in a way paid for itself over time but if you buy an overpriced car that eats fuel then no one will want it so therefore your going to take a hit, and thats exactly what will happen with Chelsea and Torres. I would love to see Torres come good for Chelsea and i really thought he would but it just isnt going to happen for him and his high wages will put teams off.

My point was we were always going to lose money on him, he was a luxury buy.

We took a chance paying that on hoping he'd come in and fire us to 4th at least and win an FA cup and or the UCL.

He achieved 2 out of 3 so not bad really for a luxury buy.

My point was we were always going to lose money on him, he was a luxury buy.

We took a chance paying that on hoping he'd come in and fire us to 4th at least and win an FA cup and or the UCL.

He achieved 2 out of 3 so not bad really for a luxury buy.

But he didnt really fire us to anything the team did it through resilience and luck and in all fairness he wasnt exactly a driving force in that and people including me gave him the benefit of doubt and thought he would come good. which i think we all know is not likely to happen anytime soon so hence the reason why we need a new striker and to me Suarez could be the answer. Whatever Chelsea do its got to be soon as we are starting to look a little shaky. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

But he didnt really fire us to anything the team did it through resilience and luck and in all fairness he wasnt exactly a driving force in that and people including me gave him the benefit of doubt and thought he would come good. which i think we all know is not likely to happen anytime soon so hence the reason why we need a new striker and to me Suarez could be the answer. Whatever Chelsea do its got to be soon as we are starting to look a little shaky. :(
    Wanting Suarez and getting Suarez are two different things.
    He's just a few months in to a new five year contract and seems very happy with the club at the moment so I doubt he will be unsettled come January

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement