Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

It's nailed on that Falcao is going to come to Chelsea, as soon as all the transfer talk starts he doesn't scored in the last 4 games - should fit in well with the blues and an ideal replacement for Torres:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

pfft ... the bs continues .... amazing how in 3 weeks we go from a team with a genuine chance of winning the league to "lucky to be in the top 10" ...

Champions league winning side ??? did that happen ???

really???

West Brom ???

Really ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Suarez wouldnt really need Torres IMO. Although it would give Liverpool a new edge having Surez roaming all around while still have a CF in the box to work off Surez's good work.

We have problems all around IMO.

Bertrand is nowhere near Cole's level and anyone suggesting otherwise is mistaken, himself and Paddy Van Aanholt may be come decent back up but they dont have the ability to replace Cole like for like.

At CB we cant pick a stable pairing. Either its Cahill/JT or JT/Luiz, Cahill/Luiz, despite winning us a UCL isnt going to work out.

Azp/Ivan are decent options at RB.

Mikel/Ramires no problems there except depth, Romeu isnt good enough.

Moses/Hazard/Mata/Oscar no problems unless 2 or more of them are out they'll be missed.

Danny/Torres not good enough long term options.

The system isnt the ebst setup either IMO. It borrows much from AVB's from last year it just drops the high line.

While its good going forward, defending its let down by the players that get caught up field and our slow back 5 is exposed. Realistically only Ramires, if you consider we start with Ivan Luiz/Cahill JT Cole Mikel Ramires has any real pace to get at people, Cahill/Luiz arent slow by any means but they should be tackling out the field and our back four is usually all over the place so better communication is needed also.

Okay please explain (in detail if you will:P) how the current system of 4-2-3-1 is in any way similar to the 4-3-3 we played under AVB. What system would you prefer we play that accomadates our attacking stenghts? I ask becasue I have seen a few people on here say the system needs to change but nobody suggest a new system that would make more sense than the current one.

The current problems with chelsea are the strikers, you just have to look at the stats for danny and fernando, they have a shocking goals to chances ratio and it seems we have to work harder to score than say Utd or City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Was off for a few days, glad I was, that WBA game was just a mess.

More points dropped in games we should be winning, resting players and rotating at times is very confusing and frustrating for fans. WBA well finish more then likely inside the top 8 but we should have enough to beat them.
    If we had secured a couple more points against Man U and Liverpool, RDM would have been forgiven for dropping points against WBA to rest key players for Juventus.

But we've dug ourselves into a hole by slipping up in the UCL, and going on a poor, if somewhat unlucky, run in the premiership. If we don't secure draws against Juventus and Man C, RA will rightly conclude that the momentum of Chelsea's development is being jeopardised. It's not necessarily RDM's fault, but CFC ned to achieve the following short term goals:

- Qualify for the UCL knock-out phase to smooth January acquisitions; and
    - Keep in touch with the Manchesters in the premiership (Man U are vulnerable, and Man C cold crack under pressure late in the season, like they almost did last year.

Our defence is a known problem. But the forward line has now failed spectacularly. Chelsea gambled on Torres coming at least partially good, but now that he hasn't, we can't afford two more months of stalling attack, let alone the rest of the season. Unless RA has a really major initiative in the pipeline for next season, we can expect radical surgery in January.

Finally, if our current mediocre vein of mediocrity continues, RA will have the cover he needs to fire RDM when he wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

the_monkey wrote: »
    pfft ... the bs continues .... amazing how in 3 weeks we go from a team with a genuine chance of winning the league to "lucky to be in the top 10" ...

really???

West Brom ???

Really ??

Yes really,

I don't think people are giving West Brom the credit they deserve, they have now won 7 out of their last 8 games, they are far from the worst team in the league I don't see it as a big disgrace to be losing to them.

• Advertisement

Torres + Courtois + Cash = Falcao?
    Courtois seems like a class future act. And top, top goalies are hard come by. Down the line Chelsea might rue foregoing Courtois.

More likely, Torres + big load of cash. Of just a straight cash deal, if Athletico prefer their own choice of striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

McDave wrote: »
    Courtois seems like a class future act. And top, top goalies are hard come by. Down the line Chelsea might rue foregoing Courtois.

More likely, Torres + big load of cash. Of just a straight cash deal, if Athletico prefer their own choice of striker.

I would be against Courtois leaving, he's defo one for the future.

And to add some common sense to the inklings of a heave against RDM, a poll in the Telegraph sensibly suggests most people do not feel RDM deserves to be sacked at this juncture.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9687528/Poll-Does-Roberto-Di-Matteo-deserve-to-be-sacked-by-Chelsea.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

really???

West Brom ???

Really ??
    Yes really,

I don't think people are giving West Brom the credit they deserve, they have now won 7 out of their last 8 games, they are far from the worst team in the league I don't see it as a big disgrace to be losing to them.

Homer is spot on. West Brom have 18 out of 21 points at home this season, unluckily losing only to Man City by two late goals.

• Advertisement

McDave wrote: »
    And to add some common sense to the inklings of a heave against RDM, a poll in the Telegraph sensibly suggests most people do not feel RDM deserves to be sacked at this juncture.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9687528/Poll-Does-Roberto-Di-Matteo-deserve-to-be-sacked-by-Chelsea.html

Why is this even being discussed. RDM has done a magnificent job as manager. I can't think of anyone else who I would prefer over him (including mourinho). Why is it that some chelsea fans believe that changing managers suddenly fixes the few problems within the squad.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Why is this even being discussed. RDM has done a magnificent job as manager. I can't think of anyone else who I would prefer over him (including mourinho). Why is it that some chelsea fans believe that changing managers suddenly fixes the few problems within the squad.
    Well, for one thing, it's an ongoing rumour with some substance that CFC want to line up Guardiola for the job. And that RDM is effectively an interim.

Of course, were RDM to deliver major success this season, he might make it nigh on impossible to replace him - even with Guardiola. But that would require a close to perfect game from him, with clear lines of vision to how our defence and striking problems are to be solved. If RA had substantial faith in him, he'd be giving RDM space to make January acquisitions plus time to bed them down.

However, a complete makeover is required at Chelsea, with further major investments in key positions. Will RA allow RDM to develop that template and at what cost.

Or is he setting the stage all the time to attract Guardiola. For instance, by delivering for Guardiola a top striker like Falcao. Plus other future statements of intent like bids for Messi or Neymar. While running down the defensive model led by JT and Cole.

These are all questions at the backs of people's minds. And if there is substance to them, getting from A to B will necessarily involve calling RDM into question - something that hasn't been realistic until our recent dip in form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

David Luiz is where the brunt of where our problems are ! Drop him for a few games and the results will turn.

All over West Brom like a rash , and Im still fuming about the chance he gifted Long , changed the whole dynamic of the game , we were chasing from then on in , even when we got the one back , we had to chase for more when we should of taken the lead got West Brom to push up and then picked them off.

Long still had plenty to do to finish the chance and took it very well, the second goal was even poor defending again , all though it was young berty this time.

Berty wont get better without game time and plays a solid game , give him game time and he will shine , on the other hand we give Luiz more and more time and he just keeps getting worse.

At this stage I would rather see us take Chalobah back from watford then see Luiz line up. I would love to be proved wrong but he needs to stop making stupid mistakes .

Intelligent strikers know his game now , time after time they wait for him to jump in and roll him or buy the free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

really???

West Brom ???

Really ??

Utd lost to Norwich and have needed RVP to dig them out of quite big holes
    City arent much better
    We are still rebuilding and still challenging.
    Much better position this year than last

Huge game tomorrow, I'd take a draw right now. I think we need to go a bit more defensive and try to shore things up. Maybe a 4-3-3/4-5-1 mourinho style formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Huge game tomorrow, I'd take a draw right now. I think we need to go a bit more defensive and try to shore things up. Maybe a 4-3-3/4-5-1 mourinho style formation.
    Unfortunately we need a more deadly striker even more badly with that approach, who can score from less chances! But I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Something that hasn't been discussed much (if at all) here is recently the amount of goals we are conceding at the beginning of halves, not sure if there's any stats but they can't be pretty, seems better concentration is needed from the 1st minute.

We were unlucky the first game. 2-0 up and then the Mikel mistake

Pop quiz, would you start Danny or Torres?
    Go with Danny and that will pretty much kill what little confidence Torres has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »

If the Falcao / Schurrle bids come to nothing he'd be worth a gamble and should cost peanuts really.

Okay please explain (in detail if you will:P) how the current system of 4-2-3-1 is in any way similar to the 4-3-3 we played under AVB. What system would you prefer we play that accomadates our attacking stenghts? I ask becasue I have seen a few people on here say the system needs to change but nobody suggest a new system that would make more sense than the current one.

Ok, I'm going to try and this is not gospel, just my take on things.

Under AVB it was well documented that he wanted to play his way. 4-3-3 with over lapping FB's and wingers that played inside with a high tempo and a high line with pressure coming from all around the pitch.

Often the system on paper was a 4-3-3 which should have been something owning to a José 4-3-3 of 2 wingers hugging the touch line but AVB has preferred playing inside the pitch and leaving the FB's get up on the outside, handy if you have attacking FB's which we have.

RDM prefers a 4-2-3-1 which in essence sacrifices one fo the 3 CM's in AVB's formation for 3 AM's and 2 CM's.

4-3-3 will allow at least one of the 3 CM's to go join the attack and that was usually either Lamps or Ramires for AVB.

In the 4-2-3-1 the 2 CM's are supposed to be very rigid and sometimes Ramires does join the attack but not as much as he used to in the 4-3-3.

Both formations when defending in essence turn into a modified 4-5-1 with quick players looking to counter attack.

For what its worth I think RDM's formation suits the team better but he has no plan B, plan B is sometimes to try more of plan A.

There is times this season when we could have easily played 4-2-2-2

Cech

Ivan
    Luiz
    Jt
    Cole

Ramires
    Mikel

Mata
    Hazard

Torres
    Sturridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Ok, I'm going to try and this is not gospel, just my take on things.

Under AVB it was well documented that he wanted to play his way. 4-3-3 with over lapping FB's and wingers that played inside with a high tempo and a high line with pressure coming from all around the pitch.

Often the system on paper was a 4-3-3 which should have been something owning to a José 4-3-3 of 2 wingers hugging the touch line but AVB has preferred playing inside the pitch and leaving the FB's get up on the outside, handy if you have attacking FB's which we have.

RDM prefers a 4-2-3-1 which in essence sacrifices one fo the 3 CM's in AVB's formation for 3 AM's and 2 CM's.

4-3-3 will allow at least one of the 3 CM's to go join the attack and that was usually either Lamps or Ramires for AVB.

In the 4-2-3-1 the 2 CM's are supposed to be very rigid and sometimes Ramires does join the attack but not as much as he used to in the 4-3-3.

Both formations when defending in essence turn into a modified 4-5-1 with quick players looking to counter attack.

For what its worth I think RDM's formation suits the team better but he has no plan B, plan B is sometimes to try more of plan A.

There is times this season when we could have easily played 4-2-2-2

Cech

Ivan
    Luiz
    Jt
    Cole

Ramires
    Mikel

Mata
    Hazard

Torres
    Sturridge

agree we could have played that way, and it looks good, but its hard to leave out Oscar ..

agree we could have played that way, and it looks good, but its hard to leave out Oscar ..

The 4-2-2-2 could accomdate Oscar in one fo the CM roles, partner him with Ramires as both are willing to do the work.

That type of formation should be considered when we need to come back from going behind. We have two decent options upfront and they rarely play together at all let alone up front together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Yeah, it is kind of strange that they dont get the chance up front together even when we are chasing a game.

Thats why for me RDM doesnt have the tactical knowledge just yet to be made out for top class maangement.

Granted we need to keep a shape at times but chasing a game at 2-1 down you might aswell go for it and try get back into then try more of the same.

Mata created a great chance for Sturridge that he fluffed and Sturridge again shot across the keeper and missed the target when he should have done better but at least he was in the position for the chances to be made.

Wasteful finsihing will cost us bit time against bigger teams who wont give up that many oppportunities.

Thats why for me RDM doesnt have the tactical knowledge just yet to be made out for top class maangement.

Granted we need to keep a shape at times but chasing a game at 2-1 down you might aswell go for it and try get back into then try more of the same.

Mata created a great chance for Sturridge that he fluffed and Sturridge again shot across the keeper and missed the target when he should have done better but at least he was in the position for the chances to be made.

Wasteful finsihing will cost us bit time against bigger teams who wont give up that many oppportunities.

Agreed, but he needs a run of games to get sharpness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Agreed, but he needs a run of games to get sharpness

RDM could throw a curve ball and name Sturridge and Torres.

Play 4-2-3-1 with Danny wide right, Mata central, Hazard wide left, if it goes tits up he could throw Danny upfront and play 4-2-2-2 or just switch it around and bring on Oscar or Moses.

What I'd like to see :

Cech
    Azp Ivan Cahill Cole
    Ramires Mikel
    Sturridge Mata Hazard
    Torres

If it fails go 4-2-2-2

Cech
    Azp Ivan Cahill Cole
    Ramires Mikel
    Mata Hazard
    Torres Sturridge

• Advertisement

I've no mass in Sturridge tbh. None at all. My mass in Torres is not much ahead, but it is ahead. I do think Torres needs a partner though, someone to play behind him. Mata.

It's surely a given that Luiz should be dropped?

I'd also start Moses, he's made an effect in every game, is powerful and hungry. Would prefer Lampard instead of Mikel too but assuming he's injured.

My team (assuming most won't agree!).

---- ---- --- Cech ---- ---- ----
    Azp ---- Ivan ---- Cahill ---- Cole
    Ramires -- Mikel
    -- Moses ---- ---- ---- Hazard--
    ---- ---- --- Mata ---- ---- ----
    ---- ---- -- Torres -- ---- ----

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

IMO he will revert back to a more defensive system tonight along the lines of:

Cech

Ivan Cahill Luiz Cole

Ramires Mikel Bertrand

Oscar Sturridge Mata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

solarith wrote: »
    I've no mass in Sturridge tbh. None at all. My mass in Torres is not much ahead, but it is ahead. I do think Torres needs a partner though, someone to play behind him. Mata.

It's surely a given that Luiz should be dropped?

I'd also start Moses, he's made an effect in every game, is powerful and hungry. Would prefer Lampard instead of Mikel too but assuming he's injured.

My team (assuming most won't agree!).

---- ---- --- Cech ---- ---- ----
    Azp ---- Ivan ---- Cahill ---- Cole
    Ramires -- Mikel
    -- Moses ---- ---- ---- Hazard--
    ---- ---- --- Mata ---- ---- ----
    ---- ---- -- Torres -- ---- ----

I like this line up but i would pick Sturidge instead of Torres or stick Moses before Torres.
    The game the weekend with that stat of no shots at goal even Mikel betters that.

Hoping for a win with a clean sheet be nice but a draw at worst.

Should we try Luiz up front if Danny is playing bad as I think Torres just is not worth wasting more time on.

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    I like this line up but i would pick Sturidge instead of Torres or stick Moses before Torres.
    The game the weekend with that stat of no shots at goal even Mikel betters that.

Hoping for a win with a clean sheet be nice but a draw at worst.

Should we try Luiz up front if Danny is playing bad as I think Torres just is not worth wasting more time on.
    Maybe play Spain's false striker with 6 midfielders!

Maybe play Spain's false striker with 6 midfielders!

That works because Spain have 6 world class midfielders that are used to playing in systems that encourage freedom of movement and roaming players.

Alonso Busquets
    Iniesta Xavi Silva
    Cesc

Our best alternative would be

Mikel Ramires
    Mata Oscar Moses
    Hazard

I know who I'd rather and it isnt our 6 :(

And they also work harder as a unit than ours!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Hazard starts up front tonight

Neil Ashton@neilashton_ 11 mins
    Amazing gamble by Roberto Di Matteo v Juventus tonight. Hazard up front, Torres axed.

Tha
    Mikel Ramires
    Mata Oscar Moses
    Hazard
    Hazard starts up front tonight

Neil Ashton@neilashton_ 11 mins
    Amazing gamble by Roberto Di Matteo v Juventus tonight. Hazard up front, Torres axed.

Could be like the above so. :P

Could be like the above so. :P

Ye looks like it, will be really interesting to see how it works.....if at all :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

haha yay false 9

And they also work harder as a unit than ours!

5 of those 6 play for 2 teams that play a similar system of closing down all over the pitch so theyed be used to it and Silva works his arse off for City to so it would be easy for the Spanish to play when needed, also those 6 are blessed with exceptional footballing ability which helps. :o

• Advertisement

Ye looks like it, will be really interesting to see how it works.....if at all :pac:

If its true I can see Bertrand starting in place of Hazard.

Cech
    Azp Cahill Ivan Cole
    Ramires Mikel
    Mata Oscar Bertie
    Hazard

??????

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Confirmed Team from Neil Ashton

Cech
    Ivan Cahill Luiz Cole
    Ramires Mikel
    Azp Oscar Mata
    Hazard

thebison wrote: »
    Confirmed Team from Neil Ashton

Cech
    Ivan Cahill Luiz Cole
    Ramires Mikel
    Azp Oscar Mata
    Hazard

:confused:

WTF? Juventus were good going down their right, our left the last game so whats he doing playing a FB infront of a FB?

Why not play Moses, Sturridge?

Surely Azp going down the wing he'll want to whip balls into the box....into Hazard, against 3 big CB's?

RDM is taking a huge chance if thats the team IMO.

Oh my lawd

Heard we signed this guy that is a a natural winger.....goes by the name of Marko Marin....true story.

If I was Torres/Danny I'd be looking to leave the club if a winger is taking your position and then hes replaced by a FB, hell even Moses can be annoyed at this.

I'm all for changing a team but that team is very risky to send out, hope I'm wrong and RDM has got it right.

Heard we signed this guy that is a a natural winger.....goes by the name of Marko Marin....true story.

Should have palyed Malouda wide left. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Juventus haven't even got a natural wide player on the left. Strange choice by Di Matteo if true. I half expected Bertrand to start on the left, but didn't even consider Azpilicueta playing on the right wing.

There is always the possibility Ashton is wide of the mark here....

Should have palyed Malouda wide left. :eek:
    Now you're trolling

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement