Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I don't see any other option. I have no faith in Torres. When he plays it feels like we are down to 10 men and without danny there was just no other option. I am actually impressed with RDM for having the balls to make the change.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree because IMO he cost us the game tonight with his selection.

Also why did Cech play so many lomg ball up to Hazard? Baffling :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Will Di Matteo get the bullet now? Surely he has to be given more time with this new look team for them to play to there full potential under his system. Very good manager but I think hes just there until the mean time until they land Guardiola irrespective of how well he does which is very poor form imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree because IMO he cost us the game tonight with his selection.

Also why did Cech play so many lomg ball up to Hazard? Baffling :confused:

I agree about the long ball made no sense at all.

I just think juve are a better team than us and no matter what formation we went with we were alway likely to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Drumpot wrote: »

I thought it was games against the two teams if Chelsea were to finish level with Shaktar? Not sure if they do it on away goals, but you might want to double check .

Thought we won 2.1 not 3.2 last game. Your right need juv to win. Looking worse now as both only need to draw to go through and with juv already through they should rest some players.

Still have a chance of a few cups and league. Need to beat city and stay close until the January window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Will Di Matteo get the bullet now? Surely he has to be given more time with this new look team for them to play to there full potential under his system. Very good manager but I think hes just there until the mean time until they land Guardiola irrespective of how well he does which is very poor form imo!

There's only 1 person who can answer that question. Someone who's not prone to taking the long term view when it come to managers.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I agree about the long ball made no sense at all.

I just think juve are a better team than us and no matter what formation we went with we were alway likely to lose.

I agree it was always going to be a tough fixture, but considering we should of beat them at home, we should of at least went out and tried to win the game, we were never gonna get back into it once we conceded a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I know Guardiola is a good manager but why do people think that if he were to take the managers job he would suddenly have Chelsea playing brilliant football and winning things???? i dont think that would happen as what he did at Barca was years worth of working with their underage system he knew the club and the players inside out. If he came to Chelsea he wouldnt do much with them he wouldnt get the time just like every other manager that they have had. RDM deserves to be manager of Chelsea and if he were to get the sack it would be a disgrace as he has got 2 trophies already, 1 of them being the so called Chelsea holy grail.

I think there needs to be some logical thinking done ....dont get rid of the manager, get rid of Torres, Luiz, Ivanovic,Sturridge and if we replace them with the chipmunks i think the chipmunks would still do a better job than those 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Really hope RDM gets to the end of the season to try and sort this out. We had an exceptional start to the season in the league, were still in 3rd in the league which is where almost everyone expected us to be sitting. Still hopeful on the Champions League but even if we go through, I wouldn't fancy our chances against too many sides.

With Pep being the supposed target and not wanting to take a job until next season, fingers crossed that buys RDM until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

S28382 wrote: »
    I know Guardiola is a good manager but why do people think that if he were to take the managers job he would suddenly have Chelsea playing brilliant football and winning things???? i dont think that would happen as what he did at Barca was years worth of working with their underage system he knew the club and the players inside out. If he came to Chelsea he wouldnt do much with them he wouldnt get the time just like every other manager that they have had. RDM deserves to be manager of Chelsea and if he were to get the sack it would be a disgrace as he has got 2 trophies already, 1 of them being the so called Chelsea holy grail.

I think there needs to be some logical thinking done ....dont get rid of the manager, get rid of Torres, Luiz, Ivanovic,Sturridge and if we replace them with the chipmunks i think the chipmunks would still do a better job than those 4.

Ivanovic does not deserve to be in that list. Also I don't think many here want him to go, more are predicting he will be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Lads, just how lazy was David Luiz in getting back in a defensive position after he got turned for the 2nd goal? I swear I had to rewind the TV to actually believe a professional could turn around and walk so casually back to defend a situation he created. If I we're RDM, I'd have hooked him there and then and shoved the cold end of a hot poker up his arse for that little episode of utter gob****ery.

It's cruel how much these guys get paid to turn in a shift like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

cson wrote: »
    Lads, just how lazy was David Luiz in getting back in a defensive position after he got turned for the 2nd goal? I swear I had to rewind the TV to actually believe a professional could turn around and walk so casually back to defend a situation he created. If I we're RDM, I'd have hooked him there and then and shoved the cold end of a hot poker up his arse for that little episode of utter gob****ery.

It's cruel how much these guys get paid to turn in a shift like that.

This.Don't need to say anything else,100 % correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Rory Smith in the Times saying Roman has been in contact with Rafa Benitez about taking over till the end of the season. I can't see Rafa agreeing to such a short term contract.
    Beaten Chelsea talk to Rafael Benítez

Rory Smith Turin

Roman Abramovich, the Chelsea owner, has been in direct contact with Rafael Benítez to assess the Spaniard’s interest in becoming the club’s manager until the end of the season should Roberto Di Matteo be dispensed with in the coming days.

Di Matteo finds his position under the most intense scrutiny this morning after seeing his side — initially shorn of Fernando Torres, who was dropped in favour of playing Eden Hazard in an unfamiliar attacking role — torn apart by Juventus in Turin last night.

Chelsea’s 3-0 defeat, thanks to goals from Fabio Quagliarella, Arturo Vidal and Sebastian Giovinco, and Shakhtar Donetsk’s victory over Nordsjaelland in the other group E game, leaves the club in danger of suffering the ignominy of becoming the first cup-holders to be eliminated at the group stage.

To have any chance of avoiding that fate, Chelsea must beat the Danish champions at Stamford Bridge in two weeks’ time and hope that Shakhtar overcome Juventus in Ukraine. Should results not go in their favour, Chelsea will find themselves in the Europa League come spring.

If that becomes the case, it is almost unthinkable that Di Matteo will remain in place. The Italian, of course, retained the post that he initially inherited on a temporary basis from André Villas-Boas in March only because Pep Guardiola turned the job down in the summer.

Abramovich is minded to make one more attempt to coax the former Barcelona coach to Chelsea midseason; if that fails, and Chelsea are eliminated, he will turn to Benítez, the former Liverpool manager, at least until the end of the campaign. At that point, he would return, once again, to Guardiola. The Spaniard was sounded out by Chelsea nine months ago, as Abramovich prepared to sack Villas-Boas, but could not agree terms with the club.

Chelsea were prepared to offer only a four-month, temporary deal, but Benítez was determined to hold out for an 18-month contract. Then, though, discussions went through Marina Granovskaia, Abramovich’s trusted personal assistant. This time, the contact has been between the two men direct. Although his Liverpool connections do not make him a natural choice in the eyes of many fans, Benítez is seen by Chelsea’s hierarchy as the one manager capable of eliciting the best from Fernando Torres. So poor has the Spaniard’s form been — he has scored only once in eight games — that Di Matteo, despite an injury to Daniel Sturridge, elected to start with Hazard at the tip of a revamped formation.

Di Matteo took full responsibility for the defeat last night, maintaining that he should bear the blame rather than his players, but insisted that he felt he was not only correct to drop the Spaniard, but that he is confident he will not imminently become the seventh managerial casualty of Abramovich’s reign.

“We are all in it together,” the Italian said. “I am responsible for the results. I’m responsible for the performance. It’s a negative evening for us. If anyone has to take the blame, it’s me. I selected a team I was convinced was the right team to win against Juventus, or get at least a draw, so the blame belongs to me.

“I was convinced it was the right selection, which is why I decided that. My conviction was 100 per cent to go with this team. Mathematically, qualification is still possible. While there is hope, we try. At the moment, I am here, and I think I will be for the future.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/europe/article3606809.ece

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nobody wants RDM to go but weve got ised to Roman makingknee jerk reactions and if getting k/o at the group stages does happen we can all safely assume RDM wont be in charge for much longer.

Wether he feels Torres isnt upto or not he still should have started him tonight. we kicked endless balls up to Hazard and into the channel where Hazard was rarely ever going to compete let alone win.

RDM gambled big time and lost big time. Surely he must know in his heart that it was a risk doing what he done but if he master minded a result he would have been praised but yet again his tactics against the bigger teams have come into question.

Had Danny nkt been injured he would have startes I imagine but when that option wasnt available reverting to Hazard was stupid and he should have played a recognised CF.

Beating City may prolong his stay but I can see Roman calling to Cobham sometime very soon and thats never a good thing amazong what a few weeks can do in football when Roman is in charge.

opr wrote: »
    Rory Smith in the Times saying Roman has been in contact with Rafa Benitez about taking over till the end of the season. I can't see Rafa agreeing to such a short term contract.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/europe/article3606809.ece

Opr

Pinning our hopes on Beneitez getting the best out of Torres is a crazy notion. Unless Benetiez has a DeLorean and a long straight the old Torres aint comig back I fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Lads I think ye might be over-reacting a bit. Oliver Kay from The Times summed up well I think.
    Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
    Chelsea are in (overdue) transition. Very tough group, as is Man City's. Elimination with 10 pts would be disappointing but not a disgrace

I honestly think ANY of the English clubs would've struggled in our group. Juve have lost 2 games in 18 months, and Shaktar were unbeaten in all competitions since Nov 2011!

We've started well in the league overall. Won away to Spurs and Arsenal - not easily done.
    Came from 2-0 down against United (playing fantastic football!!), and looked on top until some crazy refereeing decisions.
    Dropped points against Liverpool/Swansea/QPR due to poor finishing, but that's football.

I wouldn't be overly worried. RDM and Abramovich know we're in a transition phase. Drogba is gone, Lamps is on the way out and JT is no longer as reliable as in the past.

The defence is the main problem. Luiz looks a liability in recent weeks, but he's still a fantastic talent. He will come good, just probably not at CB.

The other glaring problem is the lack of a goalscorer. We've 3 of the best playmakers in Europe in Hazard, Mata & Oscar, but Torres is clearly well past his prime. I've no doubt Roman will put that right in January though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Rory Smith is very close to Rafa so there is probably substance to his story.
    Neil Ashton is reporting the same and he has good connections at Chelsea.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Ridiculous reactions in here. It just shows the EPL snobbery that exists. Look at the results of Shaktar and Juventus in the last 18 months, these two teams have been in unstoppable form. Extraordinarily difficult group, and yet Chelsea are still coming away with 12points out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Thought we won 2.1 not 3.2 last game. Your right need juv to win. Looking worse now as both only need to draw to go through and with juv already through they should rest some players.

Still have a chance of a few cups and league. Need to beat city and stay close until the January window.

Juve haven't qualified, Shakhtar already have I think.

They are on 10 points with better head to head record agaisnt Chelsea (away goals)
    So if Shakhtar lose the next game and Chelsea win then Juve will win the group and Shakhtar with second.

If Juventus and Shakhtar match ends in draw then Shakhtar will win the group and Juve 2nd as they have better H2H record against Chelsea.

I think for Chelsea to qualify, only possible outcome is Juve losing and Chelsea winning their last game.

As champions of Europe going out at the group stage is never good enough, end of.

We struggled away to FC Nords and managed to rack up goals late on, we were poor away in Donetsk and we were terrible last night, we threw away a 2 goal lead at home to Juventus and in the end were lucky to pick up a point, we robbed Shakthar in the last minute of a draw they deserved.

We've not been good enough for a sustained period when it mattered, the Shakthar and Juventus game will probably end in a draw, both teams are good and will trouble and beat some of the teams in this years UCL in the K/O stages.

If it does come down to the Europa league then at least the fringe players will get some games.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    Rory Smith is very close to Rafa so there is probably substance to his story.
    Neil Ashton is reporting the same and he has good connections at Chelsea.

I just dont see why we'd fire RDM, hire Rafa for a few months and then hire Pep.

If thats the case I'd rather Roman just let RDM in charge until the end of the season and then bring in Pep.

Rafa doesn't have a magic wand that will turn around Torres's Chelsea career, if he could then it would be excellent, would save us €50million in January.

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Juve haven't qualified, Shakhtar already have I think.

They are on 10 points with better head to head record agaisnt Chelsea (away goals)
    So if Shakhtar lose the next game and Chelsea win then Juve will win the group and Shakhtar with second.

If Juventus and Shakhtar match ends in draw then Shakhtar will win the group and Juve 2nd as they have better H2H record against Chelsea.

I think for Chelsea to qualify, only possible outcome is Juve losing and Chelsea winning their last game.

Stupid me again it should read players against juv as they already through.
    As Shakhtar already through no matter what.

Just hope to get through but rather we keep RIM as manager and buy a strikers and center back.

Luiz and Torres had a few good games but have cost more points.

I cant wait to see what happens against City and what RDM does selection wise.

If Danny is still injured will he put Hazard upfront again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Rdm gone
    http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2986865/title/statement-on-roberto-di-matteo
    Chelsea Football Club has parted company this morning with Manager Roberto Di Matteo.

The team's recent performances and results have not been good enough and the owner and the Board felt that a change was necessary now to keep the club moving in the right direction as we head into a vitally important part of the season.

The club faces a difficult task ahead in qualifying for the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League as well as maintaining a strong challenge for the top of the Premier League while competing in three other cup competitions. Our aim is to remain as competitive as possible and challenge strongly on all fronts.

The owner and the Board would like to thank Roberto for all he has done for the club since taking over in March. Roberto helped guide us to an historic Champions League victory and a seventh FA Cup. We will never forget the huge contribution he has made to this club's history and he will always be welcome at Stamford Bridge.

The club will be making an announcement shortly regarding a new first team manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

RDM SACKED! Just seen it announced in Chelsea official a minute ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

That's a disgusting move from the club , sickened , sad and embarrassed to call myself a fan of the club today .

where does it end .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

That's a disgusting move from the club , sickened , sad and embarrassed to call myself a fan of the club today .

where does it end .

this plus 1

LOL at the "make it a Blue christmas"!!

where does it end .
    I can only imagine they have someone lined up

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Rafa seems odds on, unless Pep is returning sooner. Sweet jesus, where does it end ?

Was always gonna happen after last night it was a question of when not if.

Anyone but 'Arry Redknapp.....anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

makes no odds , its the clubs fault we did not buy cover , not the managers , alrite we playing poorly at present but come on , this is just way too soon :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

And sacked before Mark Hughes who has failed to win a game and is bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Terrible performance last night ( esp second half ) , but a sacking offence ?

Sad to see Robbie go , wish him well .

Who now ? Pep ?

Rafa till the end of the season or till pep comes on board is the most logical choice and whats been mooted for months , il be fit to hang from the gallows if Arry comes in ,

He was sacked because of last night and us on the brink of been knocked out.

Wouldnt it be typical if Juventus lose and we go through, silly decision by Roman again.

Rom gave Torres how much time but if your a manager only a few games.
    Sickened and really can't see a stable manager at Chelsea until Roman gets qualified to manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Chelsea still need to answer to this mark clattenburg situation. They need to be punished if they've wrongly accused him. Sacking rob not the answer. Think they were just waiting to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Chelsea still need to answer to this mark clattenburg situation. They need to be punished if they've wrongly accused him. Sacking rob not the answer. Think they were just waiting to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

This is bananas.

Who we looking at? Pep? Harry?

From @GuillemBalague: "Pep has told Roman he will continue his sabbatical and Rafa Benítez has not been approached. Would Avram Grant be a solution for now?"

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »

Thats rubbish , an employee made a complaint , they had no option but to follow it up ,

They dont have to answer for that

solarith wrote: »
    From @GuillemBalague: "Pep has told Roman he will continue his sabbatical and Rafa Benítez has not been approached. Would Avram Grant be a solution for now?"

Aaahhh G. Balague, wouldnt believe a word the guy says at times.

So what I expect from his above tweet is Pep to be manager with Rafa as his assistant. :pac:

Hah! I really dislike Rafa. Hope he's no where near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Disappointed at this. Was always gonna happen even though I hoped it wouldn't.

Not sure who chelsea can appoint as a short term measure if the rumours are to be believed with Pep to take over after his sabbatical.

Would not want benitez.

Maybe 'Arry could do a job for a while.

Who else would people throw in the frame?

Balague seems to be changing his tune on Benitez

I actually dont think Benetiz would be a bad appointment, I would only have a problem if he was to come in just till the end of the season.

Who's going to take the team for Sundays game ? (In before the Terry comments)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

What is Gus Heddink doing atthe moment? He would be the job!

cadaliac wrote: »

Managing Anzhi isnt he?

I'd take Rafa in a heart beat, especially over Redknapp.

Never, ever Redknapp, ever.

Hes the manager of the super rich Russian team Anzhi, Cant imagine it would be easy to tempt him away.

• Advertisement

Manager of Anzhi in Russia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement