Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Caveman1 wrote: »

I think he means hatred towards Chelsea and not RDM.
    I got that too. My bit about Rdm was more that most comments I've seen this morning were about him rather than hatred for Chelsea.

He seems to want hatred. There's no more hatred there than there is for any of the big English clubs

Has there been massive hatred towards Chelsea today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Phoenix wrote: »
    I guess that means no Falcao :(

Whys that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

dooferoaks wrote: »

Whys that?
    I would guess he means its a public show of support in Torres by Roman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

amiable wrote: »
    I got that too. My bit about Rdm was more that most comments I've seen this morning were about him rather than hatred for Chelsea.

He seems to want hatred. There's no more hatred there than there is for any of the big English clubs

True, everyone always assumes that other fans hate their team, although you can't really blame people for not liking Chelsea at times when the club carries on this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Although RA often doesn't rely on sense with his decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think we can blame Torres for getting RDM the chop. :pac:

My take on the matter is Roman has someone lined up and always has and was just waiting for the chance to chop RDM.

The performance, the formation the selection and the position we are in the group has all come to a head and Roman pulled the trigger, time well tell if hes been right too.

I remember last year saying getting rid of AVB was stupid and look what happened. I'm saying the same now, it was a stupid decision so soon into the season but hoping for some success, maybe retain the FA cup, decent run in the Europa league with fringe players and a good showing in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Benitez is known to be more of a defensive coach more than anything, I cant see how Mata, Hazard & Oscar will all fit into his plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Benitez is known to be more of a defensive coach more than anything, I cant see how Mata, Hazard & Oscar will all fit into his plans.

Very easily I would imagine given how he used the likes of Aimar, Vincente, Baraja, Angulo, Mista, Rufete, Xisco and many others in his Valencia team.

I sat at Anfield some years back and watched his Valencia team give a masterclass in passing and pressing. The guy with the right players and resources will build a good team, but that requires time and that is something that the Chelsea hotseat traditionally does not always come with, even long before the Roman days.

Benitez does look for a solid defence and at least one midfielder who will aid the defence, but the man knows how to use attackers especially quality ones.

If you got him, and the players bought into his methods of forcing them to work very hard to improve their overall game, then Chelsea could reap some serious rewards.

Where I think there could be a problem if he was hired, is if he was only hired as a stop gap until the end of the season. That way players would know he is gone come the end of May and may not buy into having to work harder and be more tactically aware.

Hope Chelsea don't get Rafa tbh, but if they do and sign him onto a longer contract, then I could see him doing well as he is a very good manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Everyone liked Chelsea before Roman came along we were a good footballing side that never won anything bar the odd cup. We were not seen as a threat so were liked as a result a bit like Everton at the moment if you wish. No club wins anything without spending huge amounts of money thats the way things are these days.

I am really sad for Robbie he seems like a very decent guy but at least he has his place in history and a place in just about every Chelsea supporters heart. But to be fair he was in a little above his depth.

As for who now God knows I think Roman wanted Rafa (as Pepe had no interest) in the summer but buckled to pressure (yea I think he did) to give Robbie a run I would be very surprised if not him.

Whats the odds on Stan the gaffer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

what a day wrote: »
    Im loving all the hatered for us, all the nonsense comments about us.
    DiMatteo has not got the best from our players in quite some time and if Roman feels he can replace DiMatteo with some one better so be it.

Every Chelsea fan owes Roman for the success he has brought to our club, more to come from him

All hail Roman!!!!!!!!

You are joking right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You are joking right?

I think your sarcasm detector is broken Sgt. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Last night RDM gambled big time, and he lost, and it seems like that was the last straw for the club.

Extremely harsh IMO and im sickened, its same old Chelsea, we need stability, this run wasnt bad enough to cost RDM his job..

Id say alot of fans might feel the same as me, and now the pressure is on the board, get a very good replacement or there will be discontent among many fans, me included!

Have massive sympathy for Roberto!

Thanks for the memories and that amazing night in Munich! Always a club legend Robbie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Last night RDM gambled big time, and he lost, and it seems like that was the last straw for the club.

Extremely harsh IMO and im sickened, its same old Chelsea, we need stability, this run wasnt bad enough to cost RDM his job..

Id say alot of fans might feel the same as me, and now the pressure is on the board, get a very good replacement or there will be discontent among many fans, me included!

Have massive sympathy for Roberto!

Thanks for the memories and that amazing night in Munich! Always a club legend Robbie :)

And lets not forget that magical night in the Camp Nou

the_monkey wrote: »
    And lets not forget that magical night in the Camp Nou

and vs Napoli!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

So who would you guys like to see come in?

Much love for Rafa amongst you guys? Other than Pep, are there any other names you wouldlove to see at the helm full time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Roy keane?

Rafa Benitez

“Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach a such a big team. I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what. For me there is only club in England, and that’s Liverpool.”

Thank God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Rafa Benitez

“Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach a such a big team. I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what. For me there is only club in England, and that’s Liverpool.”

Thank God

source? when was this said

source? when was this said

Seen the quote on a FB page cant say its real for sure, we can only hope it is :P

Hold on, that quote is a load of BS.

Mirror reporting that Benitez will be named manager tonight :(

• Advertisement

''It's been a difficult day. Roberto Di Matteo is no longer our manager. I would like to thank him for all this time with us and wish him the best of luck for the future. As a player he has been a legend for the 'Blues'. With him as a manager we won our first Champions League. He will always be remembered. Good luck Robbie!''

Now thats a real quote, from Juan Mata!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rafa Benitez

Thank God

Rafa Benitez

"I am pleased to accept this position as the new Chelsea manager and am delighted with my 100 year contract. All hail Xenu."

My quote has no source other than twitter nonsense too.

Rafa Benitez

"I am pleased to accept this position as the new Chelsea manager and am delighted with my 100 year contract. All hail Xenu."

My quote has no source other than twitter nonsense too.

I wasn't being serious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I wouldn't feel sorry for Di Matteo. He's a Champion's League winner with one well-financed team. He also has experience in how to get good results from a team that's very limited, defensive and slow. And he didn't fair too badly at West Brom either.

Seriously though, he has a good eye for players, he's evidently got man-management skills, and he's pretty likeable too. He won't be out of a job very long. Why leaving Torres on the bench is a "gamble", I don't know. Torres isn't scoring. Depending on him to score or to show up is the gamble. Going out at the group stage, even if you're a good team, isn't unprecedented either, as United and City proved last season (City might be out again this year). It's the most exciting team they've had in years, I'm a United fan and Juan Mata makes me wee meself.

Abramovich wants a puppet, which I understand to a degree, because it's his investment and therefore he does what he wants with his money. Whoever Chelsea get in next will have to fit into one of two categories: (a) someone who doesn't mind being pushed around, or (b) someone who doesn't mind a large severance package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

weiland79 wrote: »
    Roy keane?

Was just about to say this, he knows what it's like to be a player ( like Di Matteo), he knows what it's like to be a manager ( like Di Matteo) and most of all, he's know what's like to be sacked fairly soon into the job ( like Di. Matteo). Oh, and they both have shaved heads. Or used to have shaved heads, that's important too.

OMG, it actually really looks like we are getting Benitez, how pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

The odds on Benitez are 1/7 now! :eek:

Any chance that Hiddink would leave Anzhi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Obviously Pep would be the first choice but would you prefer Harry or Rafa (if you had to choose)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Any odds on how long Benitez lasts? End of the season is favourite I suppose.
    November next year 2nd favourite.

ESPN saying that negotiations with Benitez are at an ''advanced'' stage and we can expect an announcement tonight from the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Rafa, ah man you's are screwed.

ESPN saying that negotiations with Benitez are at an ''advanced'' stage and we can expect an announcement tonight from the club.

oh, cos i heard he is on a plane to London right now and it will be announced tomorrow.

God do we never learn? Liverpool and Chelsea transfers never work out!
    Joe Cole, Torres and their bl**dy ex manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I can’t believe whats happened. Sacking RDM is a big mistake after everything we won last season. I think he was right to drop Torres last nite. The fact he done nothing when he came on is typical of his performances.

On Sky Sports news they are saying Rafa Benitez is on his way to Chelsea for talks. Its like some kind of sick joke. We have one useless Liverpool reject and certainly would not want another.

Abramovich has lost the plot.

oh, cos i heard he is on a plane to London right now and it will be announced tomorrow.

God do we never learn? Liverpool and Chelsea transfers never work out!
    Joe Cole, Torres and their bl**dy ex manager!

Rafa Benitez is in advanced negotiations to succeed Roberto Di Matteo as Chelsea manager, ESPN understands.

It is believed that talks have progressed far enough for Benitez to be confirmed as Chelsea's new boss on Wednesday night - just 24 hours after the Blues were on their way to the 3-0 defeat at Juventus that ultimately cost Di Matteo his job.

Benitez has been out of work for two years since being axed by Inter Milan after six months at the San Siro; an appointment by Chelsea would be the second successive time he has taken charge of reigning European champions.
    Before Inter, the Spanish boss spent six years in charge of Liverpool, where he had the upper hand on Chelsea in a number of high-profile encounters - including Champions League semi-finals in 2005 and 2007.

Coincidentally he will take Chelsea to the Club World Cup in December - a competition that he won as Inter boss before being sacked days after lifting the trophy.

In March, ESPN broke the story that Benitez was first under consideration for the Chelsea job before Andre Villa-Boas was sacked, with talks breaking down because the Spaniard wanted an 18-month contract and the deal on offer was only until the end of the season.

But with a similarly short-term deal on the table this time around, Benitez appears to have changed his mind and is prepared to try to prove himself between now and next May, with a clause thought to be included that would see him granted a full season in 2013-14 should he turn results around.

Benitez is in Abu Dhabi for a scheduled appearance at a coaching conference, but is now making plans to fly into Manchester on Thursday morning.

He told Sport360° on Wednesday: "I have just found out [about Di Matteo]. Obviously Chelsea is a top side and they can compete for trophies so it goes in this category."

Asked if Chelsea had already made an approach, he replied: "You ask directly, I cannot answer directly. In football a lot of people are talking so we will see what happens in the next few days. I am looking for a club that can challenge for trophies and Chelsea is one of these clubs."

Despite the impending appointment of Benitez, Blues owner Roman Abramovich is still thought to want to bring former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola to Stamford Bridge as a long-term managerial option next summer.

Guardiola remains on a year's sabbatical in New York but will start planning his future early in the New Year, indicating that Benitez has an even shorter period to impress.

Barr wrote: »
    I can’t believe whats happened. Sacking RDM is a big mistake after everything we won last season. I think he was right to drop Torres last nite. The fact he done nothing when he came on is typical of his performances.

On Sky Sports news they are saying Rafa Benitez is on his way to Chelsea for talks. Its like some kind of sick joke. We have one useless Liverpool reject and certainly would not want another.

Abramovich has lost the plot.

I wonder if there will be any sort of protest at SB?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Torres to turn into a goal machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I think its a disgrace of a decision, but cannot say I'm surprised.

Also feel this is all down to torres TBH. He is Roman's main man there is no doubting that, and he thinks if he hires Benitez as coach Torres will suddenly become world class again overnight, it's never going to happen though, he is simply muck!

Pretty sorry state of affairs if you ask me :(

A lot of negativity around Benitez, I think he's actually a very good manager, he won a lot of trophies with both Valencia and Liverpool on limited funds, I reckon if he gets the backing of RA he'll be a success at Chelsea (well till next November) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I wonder if there will be any sort of protest at SB?

I can see a large portion of the fans being disgruntled tbh. I hope they voice their opinion and let the club know what a mistake Benitez is.

Benetez also has a lot of history against Chelsea when he was at Liverpool. The dressing room won’t take him seriously. I hope there will be a player revolt dropping someone as well liked as RDM and appointing a joker like Rafa .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Rafa appointed interim manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

It's a done deal.

Cracking new manager you have there .bastards !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Barr wrote: »
    I can see a large portion of the fans being disgruntled tbh. I hope they voice their opinion and let the club know what a mistake Benitez is.

Benetez also has a lot of history against Chelsea when he was at Liverpool. The dressing room won’t take him seriously. I hope there will be a player revolt dropping someone as well liked as RDM and appointing a joker like Rafa .

Sums up the problems at chelsea.

A lot of negativity around Benitez, I think he's actually a very good manager, he won a lot of trophies with both Valencia and Liverpool on limited funds, I reckon if he gets the backing of RA he'll be a success at Chelsea (well till next November) :pac:

look in the pool or rdm has been sacked thread.
    He spent a lot of money and despite having torres as the elagues top scorer, failed to win a title, got 2nd once i think, after chelsea sacked a manager.
    The cynical could say he had a lucky CL win (like RDM) and only won the FA cup
    He then proceeded to sell off the clubs best players

not really a great record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Club statement:
    Chelsea Football Club can confirm Rafael Benitez has been appointed interim first-team manager until the end of the season.

The owner and the Board believe that in Benitez we have a manager with significant experience at the highest level of football, who can come in and immediately help deliver our objectives.

The 52-year-old Spaniard is due to meet the players at the training ground in Cobham tomorrow.

The two-time UEFA Manager of the Year comes with outstanding pedigree. He began his managerial career in his homeland, most notably at Valencia where he built a reputation as one of Europe's top coaches by winning the Spanish League twice and the UEFA Cup. He then spent six years at Liverpool and led them to their fifth European Cup and an FA Cup.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2987554/title/benitez-appointed
    Chelsea Football Club can confirm Rafael Benitez has been appointed interim first-team manager until the end of the season.

The owner and the Board believe that in Benitez we have a manager with significant experience at the highest level of football, who can come in and immediately help deliver our objectives.

The 52-year-old Spaniard is due to meet the players at the training ground in Cobham tomorrow.

The two-time UEFA Manager of the Year comes with outstanding pedigree. He began his managerial career in his homeland, most notably at Valencia where he built a reputation as one of Europe's top coaches by winning the Spanish League twice and the UEFA Cup. He then spent six years at Liverpool and led them to their fifth European Cup and an FA Cup.

I think its a good appointment by Chelsea but I cant help but think that it shows real desperation by Benitez, only signing up till the end of the season is definitely a strange one.

• Advertisement

look in the pool or rdm has been sacked thread.
    He spent a lot of money and despite having torres as the elagues top scorer, failed to win a title, got 2nd once i think, after chelsea sacked a manager.
    The cynical could say he had a lucky CL win (like RDM) and only won the FA cup
    He then proceeded to sell off the clubs best players

not really a great record

I'd have to disagree here, luck obviously plays a part but you dont win the CL and make a final by just luck.

He also won the league twice with Valencia and the UEFA cup, anybody saying that he isnt a top quality manager is in denial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I am going to bookmark all the numpty comments in this thread and come back here when Benitez transforms your club into a real constant, consistent, winning force both domestically and Worldwide, and ram them all happily down your throats :(:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I think its a good appointment by Chelsea but I cant help but think that it shows real desperation by Benitez, only signing up till the end of the season is definitely a strange one.
    Rafa is out of the game two years and there's no top jobs becoming available so he's probably using Chelsea to put himself back in the shop window. As a Liverpool fan I love the bloke and genuinely believe he is top class but at the same time the rivalry between Liverpool and Chelsea from 2005 until 2009 would mean I would be very suprised if Chelsea fans warm to him at all.

I'd have to disagree here, luck obviously plays a part but you dont win the CL and make a final by just luck.

He also won the league twice with Valencia and the UEFA cup, anybody saying that he isnt a top quality manager is in denial.

Quality manager maybe, but imo he has proved he isnt good enough for our league, even with the most feared striker at the time!
    I suppose the first year, he will only be expected to make the top four and maybe win a cup.
    Time will tell of course

and luck is coming back from 3 goals down and then Sheva missing a peno!

I bet the Pool thread is going explode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

It's a mystery all right.......

bag_of_money.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement