Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

If Benitez is a succes and wins a cup or two, what then? Surely there must be already a deal in place for another manager to come in at the end of the season if they only offered Rafa a couple of months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Gonna be watching Chelsea a bit more now that Rafa is there. Definitely a weird appointment. Why fire one interim manager for another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Phoenix wrote: »
    how will the team reflect with the change of managership?

We will sell all the good players to Barca and then buy expensive players who will just be loaned out, never to play for the club!
    (So half of that is actually the chelsea way)

Cant wait to see him get to grips with the wandering Luiz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Phoenix wrote: »
    how will the team reflect with the change of managership?

1.) CM will be as tight as a ducks arse which will protect your defence.

2.) you will get more creativity between the lines up front

3.) with the attacking talent and supply and width you fückers have on hand you will see teams squeezed to death in the final 3rd.

4.) if this takes off like I think it will I will puke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Good appointment and I wish him well. He'll have to win over some fans for reasons only they know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Had a couple of pre-match pints yesterday, which led to a couple of bottles of grape.

Awoke with a sore noggin to find Robbie had been sacked. Then the realization that Thursday night football beckons set in:mad: and now this.....

Rafa_Benitez1.jpg

What a day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

This is a strange appointment from Roman. I don't think Rafa is the man to give Chelsea the free flowing Barca style that Roman allegedly want's so much.

Really can't see this being a long term option. IMO It'll be just until the end of the season until Pep becomes available.

I remember a few Liverpool fans saying he'd have to much pride, respect etc to come to a club like Chelsea. I guess money talks.

Leiva wrote: »
    I am going to bookmark all the numpty comments in this thread and come back here when Benitez transforms your club into a real constant, consistent, winning force both domestically and Worldwide, and ram them all happily down your throats :(:mad:

Please do, cos we've seen them all come and go, win doubles and the CL, and even sacked the best modern manager ever, who is the only one to go on and prove it again and again (Mourinho of course)

I think yes Rafa ia taking money but hes also got a chance to show European clubs that hes still on top of his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hey Chelsea fans, here's two words you're going to be sick of come May.......
    zonal marking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I look forward to that but he's going to have to stuff you lot a few times before I will even consider warming to him.
    Leiva wrote: »
    I am going to bookmark all the numpty comments in this thread and come back here when Benitez transforms your club into a real constant, consistent, winning force both domestically and Worldwide, and ram them all happily down your throats :(:mad:

bullpost wrote: »
    I look forward to that but he's going to have to stuff you lot a few times before I will even consider warming to him.

He'll be gone by the time we play them again! (in the league anyways!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

bullpost wrote: »

Why?

Sher the Pool are irrelevant when it comes to Chelsea. They'll be lucky if they finish in the top half of the table this season. That club are in dire straits at the moment and it'll take more than one season for Brendan to clean up the mess Kenny left behind.

If Rafa gets us challenging for major trophies (which we are capable of) then consider warming to him, forget what he does against mediocre opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Disgusted at the RDM sacking, bet some fans in here will be delighted no doubt:rolleyes:.

Benitez will be very unpopular among the fans. Personally I have no problem with him, his record speaks for itself so as always I will support whoever is in charge and hopefully he can get a response from the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Was just about to say this, he knows what it's like to be a player ( like Di Matteo), he knows what it's like to be a manager ( like Di Matteo) and most of all, he's know what's like to be sacked fairly soon into the job ( like Di. Matteo). Oh, and they both have shaved heads. Or used to have shaved heads, that's important too.

You make good points but i was thinking more along the lines of.

YOU COST 50 MILLION QUID!!!! NOW GET OUT THERE AND SCORE SOME BLEEDIN GOALS YA LANGER!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Disgusted at the RDM sacking, bet some fans in here will be delighted no doubt:rolleyes:.

Benitez will be very unpopular among the fans. Personally I have no problem with him, his record speaks for itself so as always I will support whoever is in charge and hopefully he can get a response from the team.
    I'm genuinely glad to read that. The reaction of some fans is not helping your club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

You are being way too logical here - whoever said there was logic to being a Chelsea fan :)
    Why?

Sher the Pool are irrelevant when it comes to Chelsea. They'll be lucky if they finish in the top half of the table this season. That club are in dire straits at the moment and it'll take more than one season for Brendan to clean up the mess Kenny left behind.

If Rafa gets us challenging for major trophies (which we are capable of) then consider warming to him, forget what he does against mediocre opposition.

Rafa to be sacked by 6pm Sunday?

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    I'm genuinely glad to read that. The reaction of some fans is not helping your club.

Really? How so? We have an owner who is quite capable of dragging our club through the mud and making us a laughing stock

I am also disgusted and fail to see who can ever keep him pleased?
    We may as well scrap the title of "Manager" and replace it with "interim manager"

Lets face it, if it wasnt for his money, many fans would be happy to see the back of him.
    Yes we have won trophy after trophy, but I believe we would have won more and spent less if a manager had been allowed to shape the squad over a few seasons.
    We have such a lop sided squad. 3 No 10's yet short upfront and in midfield.
    managers like Fergie have been able to plan ahead and make sure they have players coming in to seamlessly intergrate with the existing ones
    Roman listens to the wrong people, currently Michael E , an ex womans coach has his ear.
    We all love a winning side but its such a pact with the devil it really is!

Really? How so? We have an owner who is quite capable of dragging our club through the mud and making us a laughing stock

I am also disgusted and fail to see who can ever keep him pleased?
    We may as well scrap the title of "Manager" and replace it with "interim manager"

Lets face it, if it wasnt for his money, many fans would be happy to see the back of him.
    Yes we have won trophy after trophy, but I believe we would have won more and spent less if a manager had been allowed to shape the squad over a few seasons.
    We have such a lop sided squad. 3 No 10's yet short upfront and in midfield.
    managers like Fergie have been able to plan ahead and make sure they have players coming in to seamlessly intergrate with the existing ones
    Roman listens to the wrong people, currently Michael E , an ex womans coach has his ear.
    We all love a winning side but its such a pact with the devil it really is!
    Did you quote the right person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

I wonder did RDM get the chelsea special paid till you find another job or a payoff.
    Still a bit sickened by this but with Dream Team gone I can still watch Chelsea.
    All is needed now is for Torres to score a hat trick at the weekend.

Rafa is on an 18 month contract according to The Times

I just realised Sgt is welcoming Rafa by having a rant ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rafa is on an 18 month contract according to The Times

You love being the bearer of bad news ;)

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes
    Benitez's contract with Chelsea is an 18 month deal. Not sure why he's been described as "interim" manager.

• Advertisement

It could have been a 5 year contract for Harry Redknapp

Well I'm sure our sizeable spanish contingent will be happy.

Maybe he can help torres remember how to be a striker and just drop luiz.

I just realised Sgt is welcoming Rafa by having a rant ;)

Theres only 1 manager I want to see return - The Special one!

Oh , seems I am not alone in my non love for the waiter

TF: "Benitez will just not be accepted by Chelsea supporters. I don't think Benitez is a good manager, he's been out of work for two years now - if he was any good why hasn't any other club snapped him up?

DJ: "Rafa Benitez is not a Chelsea manager. Some people are born to play for or manage certain clubs and for us, Benitez isn't what we want. When he was Liverpool manager and Jose Mourinho was Chelsea boss there was a bit of 'beef' between them.

"He was very dismissive of Chelsea, very rude towards us and my impression of him was, whenever anything went wrong, it was always somebody else's fault - not his."

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

The times just retracted the statement about it being an 18 month deal. It's until end of season!

I don't like Rafa as a person, undecided as manager.

solarith wrote: »
    The times just retracted the statement about it being an 18 month deal. It's until end of season!

I don't like Rafa as a person, undecided as manager.
    Tony Barrett is standing by it.
    And Rory Smith is backing him up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Well it's official interim manager until the end of the season.
    http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2987554/title/benitez-appointed
    I see thats not news anymore sorry.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Well it's official interim manager until the end of the season.
    http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2987554/title/benitez-appointed
    I see thats not news anymore sorry.
    PR exercise

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

STATEMENT ISSUED BY THE LMA ON BEHALF OF ROBERTO DI MATTEO

The League Managers Association (LMA) has issued the following statement on behalf of Roberto Di Matteo following his departure from Chelsea Football Club.

Roberto Di Matteo said:

"It was an honour for me to be appointed manager of a club that I loved playing for and one that is so close to my heart. I am extremely proud of the successes and trophies that we were able to bring to the club in recent months.

“Lifting Chelsea's first Champions League trophy, in Munich, was the best achievement in club history and without doubt the highlight of my career to date, both as a player and manager. It is a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life.

“I have a deep and unreserved passion for Chelsea Football Club and I would like to sincerely thank all of the staff, my players and of course the Chelsea fans, for their tremendous and unconditioned support in the intense time I have been the manager at the Bridge. I wish all of them every success for the rest of the season and beyond.”
    Richard Bevan, Chief Executive of the League Managers Association said,
    “The LMA shares Roberto’s disappointment following Chelsea's decision to relieve him of his managerial duties. What cannot be questioned is Roberto’s passion for the club and the honesty and integrity he has shown throughout his time in charge. His record of a Champions League title and FA Cup triumph, speaks for itself, and he can be incredibly proud of what he has achieved in such a short space of time. Roberto has received a huge number of messages of support from across the game; from other managers, coaches, administrators at other clubs, Chelsea supporters and the Chelsea players themselves. I know he is extremely appreciative of receiving so much support and solidarity, and it demonstrates the high regard and respect that those in the game have for Roberto.”

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Typical class from Di Matteo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

I can't believe this :( We'll miss you Robbie

Compton wrote: »
    I can't believe this :( We'll miss you Robbie

a proper chelsea legend and someone who genuinely cared about the club:( Such a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20433720
    Chelsea are in talks over a deal that could see former striker Didier Drogba return to Stamford Bridge from Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I purposely stayed from all forms of Media today (actually not too difficult over here!) but I kept getting notifications of people posting on my FB. I knew something must be happening, and lo and behold RDM gets the chop.
    A mate of mine predicted when he was appointed that he would last until Jan 2013. Just over a month off, not a bad call.
    Robbie, fair play to you for all you have done for Chelsea FC during your time in the hot seat.I'll be sorry to see you leave, every interview I've seen you in protrayed as a very polite and dignified man going about his business.
    Rafa, all eyes are on you for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Have to say that statement is pure class from Di Matteo. I may not think he was the man to bring things forward and decision to let him go was the right one, no matter who replaces him but I can completely understand why the decision to replace a guy who is a club legend who has achieved so much recently with Benitez is quite galling. Rafa will really need to hit the ground running.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

On CFC Net there is a movement to have a minutes applause in the city game in the 16th minute. Hope it happens.

opr wrote: »
    Have to say that statement is pure class from Di Matteo. I may not think he was the man to bring things forward and decision to let him go was the right one, no matter who replaces him but I can completely understand why the decision to replace a guy who is a club legend who has achieved so much recently with Benitez is quite galling. Rafa will really need to hit the ground running.

Opr

Start by beating City will at least win over some fans for the time being.

I've no problem with Rafa's appointment, like most though I'm not a fan of the decision to oust RDM now, I was hoping he'd get until the end of the season at least.

A lot of fans will be hoping come next year we'll either have Jose or Pep and not Rafa but if Rafa does a good job I'd like him to take it on.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Start by beating City will at least win over some fans for the time being.

I've no problem with Rafa's appointment, like most though I'm not a fan of the decision to oust RDM now, I was hoping he'd get until the end of the season at least.

A lot of fans will be hoping come next year we'll either have Jose or Pep and not Rafa but if Rafa does a good job I'd like him to take it on.

Sky have said it IS an 18 month contract, but it will be reviewed in the summer. Be a great start for him if we win against City, I think we have the players to do it
    Cant wait for some of the mind games and interviews - the journos are going to love him being back!

Sky have said it IS an 18 month contract, but it will be reviewed in the summer. Be a great start for him if we win against City, I think we have the players to do it
    Cant wait for some of the mind games and interviews - the journos are going to love him being back!

Presume it depends on the availability of Pep and if he wants the job.

When are we playing Liverpool again? End of April isnt it? Now that should be interesting, former club hero comes back managing a rival.

Look at our next 3 fixtures, we have City (H), Fulham (H) West Ham (A).

It would be nice to go into the FC Nords game with 3 wins, hopefully we're well prepared for Sunday, Real Madrid gave a great lesson in counter attacking football last night, City must have had 60-70% possesion yet Madrid allowed them very few chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

At least Eva will still be part of the backroom staff.....right guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

GavRedKing wrote: »
    former club hero comes back managing a rival.

Former hero?

Have you not read the Pool thread recently? They are still fawning over him like giddy schoolgirls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Vincent Kompany is a doubt for Sundays game, he supposedly left the Etihad on crutches after last nights game.

The Man City game is absolutely huge IMO, if we loose we're 7 points behind, win and we're right back in the mix.

Its going to be intersting to see what team we set up with, it would be typical of Torres to score a hatrick (or maybe not) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Never liked the waiter's attitude towards us (apparently his plastic flags and no passion comment still hangs on the wall in the Liverpool training facility) and sickened he is our new manager. I did not really want Pepe as manager but I really hope he comes in the summer now and we get the waiter out.

• Advertisement

_blank_ wrote: »
    Former hero?

Have you not read the Pool thread recently? They are still fawning over him like giddy schoolgirls.

Pretty much similar to us over here and Jose.

Rafa was there best manager for the best part of 2 decades and brought them some success so I can see why hes held in high regard among the 'Pool fans.

When we win at Anfield in April via Torres, that will be tested. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement