Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Might stick a few euro's on us winning the Premiership with Rafa !! (Annoy a few LFC fans in work)

If he can get a good start the squad is more than capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Vincent Kompany is a doubt for Sundays game, he supposedly left the Etihad on crutches after last nights game.

The Man City game is absolutely huge IMO, if we loose we're 7 points behind, win and we're right back in the mix.

Its going to be intersting to see what team we set up with, it would be typical of Torres to score a hatrick (or maybe not) :pac:

If Torres is fit he'll play.

Given that he has 3 days with the team I dont think he'll change too much.

What I'd expect for the City game :

Cech
    Ivan Cahill Luiz Cole
    Mikel Ramires
    Mata Oscar Hazard
    Torres

If Kompany is out it will really help us, it was interestng to see Aguero come off for the last few mins for Milner last night though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

amiable wrote: »
    Balague seems to be changing his tune on Benitez

Last night on Talksport Balague was saying Roman's team approached Benitez about 8 days ago and was making out he knew about this all along.

I cannot stand Balague and his flip flopping of his stories as if he is in the know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Last night on Talksport Balague was saying Roman's team approached Benitez about 8 days ago and was making out he knew about this all along.

I cannot stand Balague and his flip flopping of his stories as if he is in the know.

LOL that's just typical from Ballbag.

best ignored .

ciaran76 wrote: »

Typical of the man TBH. His ITK attitude towards everything or everyone Spanish is silly at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Torres is fit he'll play.

Given that he has 3 days with the team I dont think he'll change too much.

What I'd expect for the City game :

Cech
    Ivan Cahill Luiz Cole
    Mikel Ramires
    Mata Oscar Hazard
    Torres

If Kompany is out it will really help us, it was interestng to see Aguero come off for the last few mins for Milner last night though.

I wouldn't worry about Aguero, although it would be handy if he wasn't playing, they still have Tevez, Dzeko & Balotelli.

On a side note maybe we'll finally get to see Marko Marin play, Robbie didnt seem to want to give him the time of day.

I wouldn't worry about Aguero, although it would be handy if he wasn't playing, they still have Tevez, Dzeko & Balotelli.

On a side note maybe we'll finally get to see Marko Marin play, Robbie didnt seem to want to give him the time of day.

City have an attacking threat going down the left so I wouldnt be surprised to see Ramires play AMR infront of Ivan and play Mata inside dropping Oscar, Romeu and Mikel to play CDM and both hold allow the rest to the business?

Ya hoping to see Marin, if we go int the Europa League he'll be a cert to play. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

_blank_ wrote: »
    Former hero?

Have you not read the Pool thread recently? They are still fawning over him like giddy schoolgirls.

Read the thread properly. You will find the usual few who are still fawning over him, using this whole thing as a stick to further beat Rodgers with. Its sad really. I like Rafa a lot, but people need to move the **** on. Either way, theirs more posters there with sense rather than all of us "fawning over him like giddy schoolgirls".

Bolo Zenden named as Benitez assistant according to Graham Hunter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

"So David, are you looking forward to trying out zonal marking?"......

david-luiz.gif

Training's going well......

1161721_o.gif

• Advertisement

Bolo Zenden named as Benitez assistant according to Graham Hunter.

Newton left go too I presume?

Newton left go too I presume?

According to twitter he's gone.

Obviously it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth the way RDM was sacked but moving on from that I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Benitez can do with this squad.

Smart move bringing in Zenden too, similar to AVB bringing in RDM.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Vincent Kompany is a doubt for Sundays game, he supposedly left the Etihad on crutches after last nights game.

The Man City game is absolutely huge IMO, if we loose we're 7 points behind, win and we're right back in the mix.

Its going to be intersting to see what team we set up with, it would be typical of Torres to score a hatrick (or maybe not) :pac:
    Maybe is a past life..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Obviously it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth the way RDM was sacked but moving on from that I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Benitez can do with this squad.

Has Zenden any coaching experience prior to this, I assume he hasn't?
    solarith wrote: »
    Maybe is a past life..

He's already scored against them this season, I wouldnt rule it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Phoenix wrote: »
    Is it true there will be protests over this appointment?

There's talk of petitions and booing Benitez at the games

Rafa knows him well from his time at Anfield. He signed him for Liverpool on a free.

Hopefully there is no protests, thats the last thing we need TBH.

Yes we're all sad and a little angered RDM got the chop but who did we expect to get on such short notice?

IMO we're doing very well to have a coach of Rafa's calibre, if its only for 6 months and he improves us I bet you come May, all will be forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Like most of us im hugly disapointed from yesterday. I dont hate Rafa but i think he is a poor coach. Im not sure he will do much with our squad but revert back to DiMatteos CL winning side and play counter attacking football which we could have just told DiMtteo to do untill the end of the season.

I just hope our fans dont turn on the club because of this poor deccision, we have to stick together and hopefully Rafa can get us a top four spot this season and maybe a push for the title.

We may get to see more of some of our younger players now too as Rafa is a fan of rotating the squad and id imagine we will see more of Oriol and Ceasar.

Good luck Rafa.....you will need it!!!

I dont think Rafa will set us up as a defensive side at all.

It is to weak to depend upon, our strength is going forward so I reckon he'll play to that.

He'll have to work on the defence and may take awhile but I cant see much change for the visit of City.

Just please, please play a CF against City.

• Advertisement

what a day wrote: »
    Like most of us im hugly disapointed from yesterday. I dont hate Rafa but i think he is a poor coach. Im not sure he will do much with our squad but revert back to DiMatteos CL winning side and play counter attacking football which we could have just told DiMtteo to do untill the end of the season.

I just hope our fans dont turn on the club because of this poor deccision, we have to stick together and hopefully Rafa can get us a top four spot this season and maybe a push for the title.

We may get to see more of some of our younger players now too as Rafa is a fan of rotating the squad and id imagine we will see more of Oriol and Ceasar.

Good luck Rafa.....you will need it!!!

What makes you say Rafa is a poor coach?

I dont think Rafa will set us up as a defensive side at all.

It is to weak to depend upon, our strength is going forward so I reckon he'll play to that.

He'll have to work on the defence and may take awhile but I cant see much change for the visit of City.

Just please, please play a CF against City.

If Torres is fit he will play against City.
    Rafa will put emphasis on pressing the ball high up the pitch.
    He will also IMO put emphasis in attacking at pace so expect Mata, Hazard and Torres all to play.

He'll relish having Ashley Cole in his team too.

If Torres is fit he will play against City.
    Rafa will put emphasis on pressing the ball high up the pitch.
    He will also IMO put emphasis in attacking at pace so expect Mata, Hazard and Torres all to play.

He'll relish having Ashley Cole in his team too.

Thats what I was thinking and hoping for really.

I have faith in him that he'll set us up to attack and hurry the opposition, we certainly have the players to do a job but they have to be willing to do it.

I'm optimistic anyway for the next few months under Rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The simple fact, in my eyes anyway, is that Chelsea have gotten a good manager in.

One whose reputation carries a bit of a damaged goods whiff to many non LFC supporters (and even to some LFC supporters I wager).

He is also a manager that thanks to some huge games between Liverpool and Chelsea, not to mention the rivalry between him and a certain man from Portugal, that will garner a large degree of revulsion from some sections of the Chelsea support.

But small time stuff like wanting to start a petition or protesting at games is only going to lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy coming about, and if that happens then the supporters themselves will have brought about failure just so they can say "I told you so"

He might not be the man you guys want, but he is a good manager. He is a manager that given the support of the team and fans will improve your current team tactically and as a result make you an even harder team to come up against.

Chelsea currently have a strong squad, and have some exceptional players within that squad. It would be the height of folly for any Chelsea supporter not to want to hope that the Bentitez you have got is not the one Valencia had or Liverpool had circa 2005-2009 in terms of him being focussed and having a point to prove.

Back the man, and I think you guys might get a hell of a nice surprise. Fight against him from day one and watch your own club suffer as a result because you will be fighting against a manager that can improve you rather than the type of manager that could lessen you.

Agreed Kess, also I have no reason to join the dark side when we're importing half of Merseyside to London. :pac:

Whos next? Suarez maybe? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's weird, as a neutral I found Torres' bad form at the start of his Chelsea career quite entertaining. The longer it has gone on though I've really started to feel sorry for him :pac:

I thought he'd be back to form this season with the midfield playing as well as they are, but just hasn't happened. Here's hoping Rafa reignites something in him and gets him back to his best, it's still in there somewhere!

Apparently scientists are saying that by 2025 nobody will be further than six feet away from an ex Chelsea manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

RichT wrote: »
    Apparently scientists are saying that by 2025 nobody will be further than six feet away from an ex Chelsea manager!

Abramovich reminds me of a character from the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, who, condemned to immortality, has made it his life's goal to curse every living being in the Universe one by one.

Roman's ambition, slightly less ambitious perhaps, is to sack every football manager on the planet

I really dont understand all the hatred towards Rafa, at least let him get through a few matches before calling for his head. I think he's going to be successful with Chelsea, if we beat City on Sunday I'm sure a lot of people will change their tunes.

• Advertisement

Agreed Kess, also I have no reason to join the dark side when we're importing half of Merseyside to London. :pac:

Whos next? Suarez maybe? :p

Joe Cole, Andy Carroll, and Stewart Downing will all be arriving in January as part of my masterplan to ruin Chelsea.

Agent Rafa will start buying up our rubbish whilst tapping up the likes of Mata and Hazard for a move to the North East.:p

Laugh all ya like now, but come January when you are all WTF!!! as to why Rafa just did a straight swap involving Carroll for Hazard you will start to realise the end is nigh and that your last chance to jump ship is long gone. :D

Winter is coming
    A winter called Kess

I really dont understand all the hatred towards Rafa, at least let him get through a few matches before calling for his head. I think he's going to be successful with Chelsea, if we beat City on Sunday I'm sure a lot of people will change their tunes.
    There's a Chelsea fan on Twitter who has over 50k followers posting fake quotes attributed to Rafa which isn't helping. He is just one of a few. I'll post an example shortly

"@BluesChronicle: "We don’t need to give away stupid plastic flags to our fans to wave. Chelsea fans lack passion.” Rafa Benitez 2007."

Where as what Rafa actually said was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Bartyman wrote: »
    Might stick a few euro's on us winning the Premiership with Rafa !! (Annoy a few LFC fans in work)

If he can get a good start the squad is more than capable.

That wouldn't annoy me, Id actually be delighted for the man. I hope he does well at CFC. It's Utd fan's who'd be most sickened as their hatred for him developed after he challenged Fergie on / off the field. Im convinced he will be a success at CFC.

"@BluesChronicle: "We don’t need to give away stupid plastic flags to our fans to wave. Chelsea fans lack passion.” Rafa Benitez 2007."

Where as what Rafa actually said was

I used to follow him but got tired of reading some of the tripe he comes out with.

Regardless of what he even said, he was a manager of a rival team at the time, did people expect him to come out and praise Chelsea incase one day he might be the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Never liked the waiter's attitude towards us (apparently his plastic flags and no passion comment still hangs on the wall in the Liverpool training facility) and sickened he is our new manager. I did not really want Pepe as manager but I really hope he comes in the summer now and we get the waiter out.

Is that because he is spanish :confused: Slightly xenophobic in that case don't you think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I used to follow him but got tired of reading some of the tripe he comes out with.

Regardless of what he even said, he was a manager of a rival team at the time, did people expect him to come out and praise Chelsea incase one day he might be the manager.
    Every club has them but if he gets his way the outcome is likely to be what Kess alluded to earlier and that will put Chelsea backwards for sure.

RDM made us European champions, Rafa can make us World Champions. ;)

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2987571/title/world-club-cup-update

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Is that because he is spanish :confused: Slightly xenophobic in that case don't you think.

Not at all love Mata, Nando and have great hopes for Cesar and Romeu and when we are confirmed out of the champions league will support Real Madrid all the way.

I dont think he is right for us, I did not like him at Liverpool I dont like him now. So go fishing somewhere else please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Even Avram Grant got us to 2nd and a JT mis kick of the CL.
    Benny doesnt have much time so as long as he doesnt do anything crazy, he should be fine.
    But then he is a fan of zonal marking, isnt he?!
    And his teams arent known for their attacking flair?
    It'll be grand! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Opr

Even Avram Grant got us to 2nd and a JT mis kick of the CL.
    Benny doesnt have much time so as long as he doesnt do anything crazy, he should be fine.
    And his teams arent known for their attacking flair?
    What's wrong with zonal marking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Doesnt generally work in the EPL

Source

Oh Well......

Good Luck Rafa!!

I hope you prove the doubters wrong (of which I include myself),but the thought of zonal marking scares the hell out of me.

........ IN RAFA I TRUST.....ish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

That wouldn't annoy me, Id actually be delighted for the man. I hope he does well at CFC. It's Utd fan's who'd be most sickened as their hatred for him developed after he challenged Fergie on / off the field. Im convinced he will be a success at CFC.

Surely it doesn't really matter how well he does with us?
    Ambramovich wants Pep and as soon as he becomes available Rafa will know his days are numbered.
    Although in saying that i can see Pep saying thanks but no thanks. Plenty of other clubs out there that don't treat their staff like dirt.

I've never seen a zone score a goal!

Really?

Funny that Liverpool under Rafa managed to have one of the best defensive records in the EPL using zonal marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Good God if this happened in England Platini and his buddies would be clambering to get the English clubs banned

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/22/tottenham-supporters-stabbed-rome-lazio

I suppose if we get seriously into contention for the league it should be interesting when we play United as there is not too much love lost there neither.

Nothing IMO.

I think thats a common misconception. Zonal marking needs strong players attacking the ball as soon as it comes in, with Cahill/Luiz/Ivan/JT/Mikel playing and at least 4 of those will play at any one time we should be grand if we change to Zonal, if.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement