Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Rafa doesnt start with a win I can see alot of the fans turning even more on him after the whistle.

Its a big ask for Rafa but he was willing to take on the job, I hope he can produce for us, I have faith that he will, the guy has ebough experience that he'll get us going again.

he will. trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

what a day wrote: »
    Oriol did look class when he first signed for us but we cant write him off after 2 or 3 bad performances. He is still very young for his position and has a lot to learn.

I dont think we should recall any of our players TBH, id leave them were they are as long as they are getting games and doing well for themselves, let them grow.
    I would not be suprized at all if we bought Falcao in January any way so to recall Lukaku i think would be a mistake when Sturridge is not getting a chance.

This is turning out to be a really weird season for me but i taught the same last season and that turned out well so fingers crossed Rafa becomes our new Hiddink : - )

I wonder if we will be buying Falcao or any forward in January.

Not sure if Benites prefers 1 or 2 up front but surely part of his attraction to Roman for the job is to get Torres firing and show that he is the man to lead the attack.

If so, I would think that no big money signing would be made until the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

If Torres is firing, we will be winning, its key for us.

Can Rafa get him going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Torres is firing, we will be winning, its key for us.

Can Rafa get him going?

I have my reservations but if not then Danny will play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

If Rafa doesnt start with a win I can see alot of the fans turning even more on him after the whistle.

Its a big ask for Rafa but he was willing to take on the job, I hope he can produce for us, I have faith that he will, the guy has ebough experience that he'll get us going again.

We certainly have the players to win, but we have to stop their attack so I hope he has been working on the defence more than the attack

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Jesus, this is concerning...

Look at Michael Emenalo like a snake, sneaking about the training ground.

Atmosphere can't be good

article-2237603-162E1139000005DC-300_634x410.jpg

thebison wrote: »
    Jesus, this is concerning...

Look at Michael Emenalo like a snake, sneaking about the training ground.

Atmosphere can't be good

article-2237603-162E1139000005DC-300_634x410.jpg

"ha, ha, ha, we are so happy. 2 days ago we were all out of work, and now we are being paid millions to make some footballers do sit ups"

" We all love Roman - text that to him, will you Michael?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Lampard and Ashley Cole are off at the end of the season

Sky Sports is reporting that Essien has been dealing with an allergic reaction to some medication, and has not been available because of it. He's also been dealing with issues involving his knee and bunions, and Madrid newspaper Marca is reporting that he might be done for the year.
    Marca didn't get into specifics, but I got the impression they meant 2012 when speaking about the year as opposed to the 2012-13 season. It's bad news for the midfielder if he's not doing well physically though, as proving he's healthy was going to be a big key to staying at a top club going forward.

amiable wrote: »
    Lampard and Ashley Cole are off at the end of the season

Pls stop being sensationalist and posting with out links.
    All that has happened is that Rafa has apparently said, he expects them to leave

• Advertisement

Pls stop being sensationalist and posting with out links.
    All that has happened is that Rafa has apparently said, he expects them to leave
    Ironic that you post that. I also didn't realise you set the rules.

So you acknowledge Rafa(the manager) has said it.
    I don't see the problem. It is the Chelsea thread and it is about Chelsea players.

I fail to see how my post was sensationalist. I didn't embilish it and kept it pretty straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Leiva wrote: »
    he will. trust me

Agent Rafa has the shopping list I gave him. :pac:

Hearing lamps and cole are off too.

All over twitter and Rafa has said it also.

If its true it really is the end of an era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Phew, at least I found a reputable source!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2237633/Frank-Lampard-Ashley-Cole-leave-says-Rafa-Benitez.html
    Chelsea legends Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole are to leave at the end of the season after Rafa Benitez confirmed the break-up of the Champions League-winning team.

Both players are out of contract next summer and Chelsea’s new coach admitted they are unlikely to stay at Stamford Bridge beyond the end of the season.

Lampard, Chelsea’s third highest goalscorer ever, has won three Barclays Premier League titles, four FA Cups and the European Cup in his glittering 11-year spell.

Cole, who joined from Arsenal in 2006, has won a Premier League title, four FA Cups and the Champions League during his spell at Stamford Bridge.

Asked directly if it was the end of a glorious era for the pair at Chelsea, Benitez said: ‘I think so, that is the case at the moment.
    ‘I am only here for seven months. If it is for two or three years then maybe I would have an influence.

‘Sometimes you are in a difficult position as manager because there’s too much to decide on, so it’s better to have a technical director sometimes.’
    Benitez has been put in the picture by technical director Michael Emenalo and met owner Roman Abramovich for dinner on Thursday evening as Chelsea take a new direction.

He added: ‘I spent two or three hours with the owner, we talked about everything. He knows my ideas, but we didn’t have that much time together. Maybe we will in future.

‘If you have confidence in yourself and explain yourself, everyone can understand. My impression with the owner is he’s a nice person. You can talk with him and he understands. He likes to see you have a clear idea: I think it’s black and white with him.’

Abramovich is changing the team’s constitution after years of relying on powerful dressing-room influences such as Didier Drogba, Petr Cech, John Terry, Lampard and Cole.

Only Cech and JT left sk I guess. JT doesnt have long and depending on the manager Cech could be gone and Courtois could easily replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

If it's true, I think that all Chelsea fans should always remember with huge gratitude for the efforts that both Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole put in while wearing the Chelsea jersey. Too many times, both of them were absolutely pivotal in results that brought success to the club.

Frank is right if he's to move to LA Galaxy; see out a few years in sun-kissed climates and get a nice wage packet for the retirement (though a man like Frank will surely find himself following in Gary Neville's footsteps and become a pundit; I think he'd be excellent).

Ashley... this is a tricky one. Personally, I'd like to see him stay on for maybe one more year with Chelsea, but if it's being mooted, best not to drag it out. He would still be able to mix it up with the best of them. There's life in him yet. PSG would be a good destination, but I wouldn't rule out somewhere like Inter, Juventus, Malaga, etc. Somewhere that can pay a big wage and where he'd still be playing top level football.

All speculation thusfar, but if it's true, the very best to the both of them. They've been some servants to the club and will be remembered as some of the best players to don the jersey in their respective positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

The news on lamps and cole is not suprising tbh, it's been obvious for some time that the club were not going to offer them contracts. I'd say lamps will be off to the U.S and cole to PSG.

Lukaku has put in a decent sub performance for WBA again.

Scored a penalty, setup the 4th and hit the post himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    End of an era if true about Lamps and Cole

Yup, 2 excellent players who have graced the EPL with some outstanding performances and years of service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

ib0MROI6dwb3Wj.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

2 Chelsea legends, Cole and Lamps.

Frank was actually named Premier League Player of the Decade (based on stats), so that shows how influential he has been.

IMO, hes probably the best player to ever play for the club!

Would be a pity if he doesnt get to be our all time leading scorer, as he is quite close to that record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Jesus I wake up to a league with Arry and Rafa back, it's a funny oul game sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Wish we never let steve clarke go, look how well hes doing with west brom! Would of been the man to get our defence in order aswell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I reckon Lamps to LA Galaxy (a straight all-star replacement for the retiring Beckham) and Cole to Real Madrid. We're likely to get Falcao in either January or the summer (yeah, yeah, I'm an optimist). But I'd love to see the conversation turn to a replacement for JT. He appears to be a favoured son of RA, so I think he's safe enough even as the other old-timers are pensioned off. But surely we should be looking at getting in a top-class, dominant CB some time pretty damn soon.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I reckon Lamps to LA Galaxy (a straight all-star replacement for the retiring Beckham) and Cole to Real Madrid. We're likely to get Falcao in either January or the summer (yeah, yeah, I'm an optimist). But I'd love to see the conversation turn to a replacement for JT. He appears to be a favoured son of RA, so I think he's safe enough even as the other old-timers are pensioned off. But surely we should be looking at getting in a top-class, dominant CB some time pretty damn soon.

Any suggestions for a new CB??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Any suggestions for a new CB??

How about Mats Hummels at Borussia Dortmund? 23 years old, rave reviews in the Bundesliga and was briefly mentioned in connection with Man Yew last month after he said he'd be up for fresh challenges.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    How about Mats Hummels at Borussia Dortmund? 23 years old, rave reviews in the Bundesliga and was briefly mentioned in connection with Man Yew last month after he said he'd be up for fresh challenges.

Be expensive, probably have a better chance of getting Subotic and he'd be cheaper.

Hummels would be good though.

Rafa said he will play the same system, but is looking for better defensive in midfield.
    He's quite right in that there has been no link between midfield and defence. We needed a Modric type player or a better upgrade on Mikel, more consistant, who can win the ball back.
    Rafa has it fairly easy as I would say he will just have to get results, rather than RDM who had to play more attractive but winnning football.
    The problem there was that he played 3 No 10's who just want to attack, always cut inside and dont like to defend, so your midfield has to be really good to cover for when you lose the ball or press the space when we didnt have it.
    I wouldnt be surprised if Rafa drops one of the holy trinity, and looks for somebody better in the double pivot role.
    IMO we really missed Lamps, who was the best option for this in midfield, but even then wasnt the greatest.
    The problem really is what to do with Ramires. He just doesnt suit that formation but is still a quality player. RDM tried him out on the right, but thats not him.
    We still urgently need a ball winner in midfield and a proper Terry replacement as well as the obvious striker.
    RDM might have got away with the holy trinity if Mikel could play to the same standard every week, but he isnt going to get any better.
    Look at West Brom, Stevie clarke has someone to play the Makele role and thats who we lack.
    We need someone good enough to allow the holy trinity to play and not worry when they lose the ball
    Hopefully Rafa can tighten it up, but ultimately we need to spend again, or try Josh maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Be expensive, probably have a better chance of getting Subotic and he'd be cheaper.

Hummels would be good though.

Understatement of the year.

One of the best centre backs in the game right now imho and still with the best of a decade left in him.

As a centre back (and taking his all round game into account) I think that only Thiago Silva might be a better player in the same role right now. He would be expensive, but there is no CB in the English game right now as good as him and I include Kompany in that comment.

Don't think he will ever end up at Chelsea though.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Understatement of the year.

One of the best centre backs in the game right now imho and still with the best of a decade left in him.

As a centre back (and taking his all round game into account) I think that only Thiago Silva might be a better player in the same role right now. He would be expensive, but there is no CB in the English game right now as good as him and I include Kompany in that comment.

Don't think he will ever end up at Chelsea though.

Kompany is good but there is a severe lack of really top quality CB's playing in the EPL right now.

I wouldnt hold out for Hummels just dont think we'll fork out the money to get him which is why I said maybe Subotic, not at Hummels level but still a good CB.

Does anyone mind the "Chelski" tag?
    As an outsider I don't think its bad natured like Liverfool and Manure

Kind of, normally these are changed back to the proper names, otherwise it gets silly

In other news, Bamford had a good game for MK Dons and made an assist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Not too gone on it myself, anyone see WBA game, how did Lukaku get on?

• Advertisement

Couldnt care less TBH, its not the worse thing people say about us. :p
    Panthro wrote: »
    Not too gone on it myself, anyone see WBA game, how did Lukaku get on?

He played well when he came on although Sunderland were chasing the game but he took his penalty well and his assist was good as he looked up and played the right ball.

Was unlucky not to score again as he had a few step overs, beat Bardsley and unleashed a rasping shot that beat Mignolet but hit the post.

I have high hopes for Lukaku. The West Brom loan is brilliant for him. He's getting game time and showing he can score and assist in the EPL.
    The big question is whether he will ever get his chance or chelsea will treat him like Danny and not really believe in him to give him a decent run in his best position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

End of an era if true about Lamps and Cole
    Unless they settle for the 1-year rolling contract. Assuming it's still on the table for them at this point.

Can't help feeling myself that RA wants a clear-out of the old guard. Long-term, I can only see Cech surviving. Maybe JT, but on sufferance. And I guess if a new defensive dynamic proves itself, JT will be made redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

It doesn't bother me in that I wouldnt get offended or pissed off when people use it.
    However, it does tend to be used in a petty, small timer context where someone is just looking to take a jab at the club. With that in mind, I almost always dismiss the opinion of those who use it.

Someone else compared it to ManUre, while not as offensive, it's usually used in a similarly petty context, so IMO, is just as bad.

On the whole management thing

The way I see it, it's misguided to concentrate on the 9 or so managers under RA's tenure. Ranieri had gone as far as he was going. Four of the others were interim. Only Mourinho, Scolari, Ancelotti and AVB were hired to take the club forward. And it really only helps to analyse CFC under RA through those appointments.

For me, RA's biggest mistake was to interfere with Mourinho's independence. We've been playing catch-up ever since. It would have been better by far to give JM five years doing it his way. First of all, that would have put up more premierships on the board - probably two more. Maybe even the UCL. Second, it would in all probability have seen off Ferguson - that would have been a major blow against MU, especially as they were so heavily leveraged by the Glazers.

But once RA started obsessing about the beautiful game, CFC lost continuity, and he's been chasing his losses ever since. And the cost of getting belatedly back on track gets higher all the time - i.e. the cost of getting Guardiola on board.

RA is now in the position that all of his cards are placed on getting Guardiola in next summer, or if not Pep, then Mourinho. I don't think anyone believes Benitez can deliver at the highest level. Basically if RA doesn't get Pep or Jose, and the trophies dry up, it's a slow decline for CFC.

• Advertisement

Not me. Up to now anyway.

If CFC can somehow emerge from the instability of recent years, win a couple of the major trophies and show a bit of sustainability, the tag will be little more than a harmless partisan slag.

If the club goes into decline, I'm afraid it'll be a cap that will fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Essien wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me in that I wouldnt get offended or pissed off when people use it.
    However, it does tend to be used in a petty, small timer context where someone is just looking to take a jab at the club. With that in mind, I almost always dismiss the opinion of those who use it.

Someone else compared it to ManUre, while not as offensive, it's usually used in a similarly petty context, so IMO, is just as bad.

To me, not a Chelsea fan, it's a very appropriate moniker, much more so than Man Ure for example. The Russian Oligarch has completely transformed the club brought them trophies and players that would never have been seen at the Bridge without him. it needs to be made official :)

McDave wrote: »
    On the whole management thing

The way I see it, it's misguided to concentrate on the 9 or so managers under RA's tenure. Ranieri had gone as far as he was going. Four of the others were interim. Only Mourinho, Scolari, Ancelotti and AVB were hired to take the club forward. And it really only helps to analyse CFC under RA through those appointments.

For me, RA's biggest mistake was to interfere with Mourinho's independence. We've been playing catch-up ever since. It would have been better by far to give JM five years doing it his way. First of all, that would have put up more premierships on the board - probably two more. Maybe even the UCL. Second, it would in all probability have seen off Ferguson - that would have been a major blow against MU, especially as they were so heavily leveraged by the Glazers.

But once RA started obsessing about the beautiful game, CFC lost continuity, and he's been chasing his losses ever since. And the cost of getting belatedly back on track gets higher all the time - i.e. the cost of getting Guardiola on board.

RA is now in the position that all of his cards are placed on getting Guardiola in next summer, or if not Pep, then Mourinho. I don't think anyone believes Benitez can deliver at the highest level. Basically if RA doesn't get Pep or Jose, and the trophies dry up, it's a slow decline for CFC.

Under Mourinho, we would have won at least 3 more leagues and eventually got the CL. I think he would have got restless for a new challenge anyway.
    Theres still some good and upcoming managers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

No it does not really annoy me, the only reason it kinda gets on my nerves is idiots the use it as an insult. "SKI" is polish, Roman is Russian so we should be called Chelskov.

Idiotic insult if you ask me.

As for the comment on Rafa looking to strenghten our defense i mentioned it on here before, Ramires is a week link in our squad. He is a box to box midfielder not a DM or a deep lying playmaker. Oriol will need games along side Mikel or Lampard. Even Oscar could play the role Better. Yes Rami has the enegry to bring the ball forward and sprint back to make a tackle but he totally lost playing that deep. Oscar has the intelligence and skill to play the role, Oriol can adapt to it and Lampard has the experience. PLaying Ramires leaves Bertrand exposed!

Having said all that i think we should let Lamps play all the cup games for us this season and see how many goals he can get before we let him go in the summer. Cole i would love to keep for another season, give him a 2 year deal then sell him. He is still one of the best in the business and if we are after Guardiola let him have the say on Cole. Im sure he would love Cole in the squad now.

Bit of info on Rafa

A lot of the way a manager is viewed is due to the media narrative. Mourinho is often called meticulous, Benitez is often called obsessed. The standard view of Benitez is that he is cold and calculated, not treating players as people but instead like robots. This is very much an overreaction but unlike the traditional idea of what a British manager should be like, Benitez is certainly rather different.
    Take this quote from Steven Gerrard in 2009:
    “I can have a good game – tell you what, I’ll be big-headed, say I’ve had a fantastic game – we’ve won 2-1 in the last minute and I’ve scored both.
    ‘I come back into the dressing-room and I’m buzzing, bouncing off the walls, thinking “I feel good today”, that is when Rafa comes up and starts talking about a throw-in when they changed the play and I pressed far too late. He’ll say: “If you want, we’ll go out there and I’ll show you”.
    ‘Or you’ll have a run of 10 games when you’re in form and flying and he’ll pop you a DVD of your recent play and it’s broken up into sections good and bad. And you’re thinking, “Hang on, bad? I didn’t do anything wrong”. But you’ll watch it and you’re out of position in one match, or you pressed late or you let a man go at a set-piece. You wonder when the guy sleeps.”

How do Rafa Benitez’s teams play?

The first thing to look at when determining this is to look at his influences as a coach. It’s well known the major team he looks at is Arrigo Sacchi’s Milan of the late 80s and early 90s, widely described as one of the best sides ever and one that showed a template for modern football – a changing in ideas on how teams marked in open play, how they pressed, how they moved together. This is something that is a big influence on Benitez.
    Benitez’s main ideas are to stay compact, playing a fairly high line, moving together as a unit, pressing aggressively, particularly against teams who build up from the back (more on this later), and then in possession, make the pitch big, move the ball quickly along the ground and maintain good width and depth to take advantage of space between the lines.
    The main thing to note about his teams is their intensity. In the past Benitez has, rightly or wrongly, been accused of being a defensive manager with no care for flair, instead concentrating on a machine-like approach. While this is true up to a point (I wouldn’t call him a defensive manager personally), it has to be said that there is a certain aesthetic appeal in his teams, because of the intensity of their play. To see a team work together relentlessly in both the defensive and attacking phases can be one of the most appealing things to watch in a side. To call him defensive would also be harsh – he wants to be well organised but he doesn’t go into games without attacking strategies. In the 2008/09 season, Liverpool finished as top goalscorers in the league with 77 goals, despite having limited back up in attack, while Man United had the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez and Berbatov to draw on.
    His main formation at Liverpool and Valencia has been the 4-2-3-1. However it’s very easy to define a coach by his formation. Instead it’s best to look at the movements. Benitez’s 4-2-3-1, particularly at Liverpool has been defined by a number of things. First the idea of having two holding players. These holding players are very much in charge of helping to control the team and act as reference points. Defensively, they have to stop space opening up between the lines, be good at winning the second balls and then in possession, entice the opposition midfielders to pressure. From there, the front four try and maintain depth to push the opposition back-line deeper and thereby open up space between the lines for one of them to receive the ball.
    Again this is an example of how pragmatic Benitez can be. He’s doesn’t stick rigidly to two holding players who keep their position. At Valencia he used David Albelda and Ruben Baraja in those positions, an extremely effective partnership in midfield yet with one player, Albelda, more defensive while the other, Baraja, more able to push forward and get goals. At Liverpool he was also known to use Gerrard there and also, for a couple of seasons, the underrated and extremely athletic, Momo Sissoko.
    One thing he demands from the players in midfield and in fact all his players is a very good work rate. This was one of the great strengths shown at Valencia and Liverpool. The idea is that if you match your compact organisation with a great work rate, it is very difficult for your opponent to get into the game. This also refers back to the earlier point about collective intensity.
    Another thing to note in Benitez’s sides is the player between the lines. Benitez has used a number of different players in this position. However the two main ones he has used to good effect were Aimar at Valencia and Gerrard at Liverpool. Both had different qualities. Aimar was much more of a classic between the lines player – small, mobile, quick on the turn. Gerrard was used for different reasons. Part of it was to free him up from more disciplined responsibilities in midfield, a position which required a different, more composed mentality to his more intense one. The other side of it was that he and Torres worked really well together. Both were direct, they could both make runs behind centre backs and their combinations were very quick and decisive – if Torres made a run behind, Gerrard was good enough to release him on his first touch and vice versa. This made it very difficult to stop them, particularly if they had isolated the centre backs 2 v 2.
    The overall versatility of the Liverpool team meant that different ideas could be used. Sometimes they would push a team back, use the wingers moving inside to receive passes from the centre backs while the full backs moved up the pitch to provide width. Sometimes it was done differently with the full backs staying deeper and instead using the front four to gain width and depth, before finding the forward pass from the back and having 4v4 at the back.
    It would be unfair to say Benitez is solely a 4-2-3-1 man. After all, he demands that his teams are versatile enough that they can adapt during a game and be able to change tactics, including the formation. However what can be said is that in the long term, Benitez prefers to play 4-2-3-1.
    Rafa Benitez’s: Defence

While this shape is generally said to be a 4-2-3-1, what Benitez has generally preferred off the ball is to defend in two lines of four with two in front. The main idea is to stay compact, both vertically and horizontally, and press together as a team when there are triggers. Again the key here is the intensity. Every player has to join in, move together and control space. This is something that has been lost in the Premier League over recent years, arguably since Benitez and Mourinho left.
    At Liverpool their press started off as a 4-4-2 when the opponent’s centre backs had the ball. If they were facing a team who played it longer, they generally concentrated more on the back-line and midfielders moving slightly deeper to make sure they were organised to win the second ball. However what often happened against more possession based sides was an attempt to break up the passing in the middle of the field by pressing aggressively in the middle third of the pitch.
    If the opponent were in the position where they had broken past the front duo and that first line of pressure, the team kept themselves in two lines of four moving back to a certain point, where the player on the ball would then be pressed individually while the team stayed together and maintained cover and coordination.
    Overall, the idea is to maintain shape, keep compact and control the space for the opposition to play in. At Liverpool and Valencia he got close to perfection in this regard and it was well recognised that it was extremely difficult for the opposition to settle into games.
    See this quote from Dietmar Hamann’s autobiography about facing Benitez’s Valencia:
    “They were the best team I have ever played against…the Valencia team of 2002 were superbly organised and possessed an amazing player in Pablo Aimar. When we played them at the Mestalla we were completely outclassed

There is no doubt that Chelsea have a very talented squad. This season, their attacking trio of Hazard, Mata and Oscar have particularly caught the eye of many and the squad still contains players like Cech, Cole, and Ramires. However there will be problems that Benitez has to deal with.First of all, there is Fernando Torres. At Liverpool, the defensive and attacking structure suited Torres. Liverpool were not a long ball team in the way that term can stereotype teams but they were more direct and this allowed Torres more space to play in and to use his movement to hurt centre backs, along with his partnership with Gerrard. At Chelsea the team is not built for him. They are not as direct as Liverpool were and the band of three behind Torres when Chelsea have possession take a more precise approach, leaving less space for Torres. This was even evident last season on the occasions Mata played behind Torres. Mata is not as quick to release the ball as Gerrard was when Torres was at Liverpool and is certainly more horizontal in his play. It remains to be seen how Benitez deals with this.
    However the main problem is the team as a whole. If their Champions League win was a result of staying deep and narrow to make themselves difficult to open up, Chelsea this season have been a team in tactical conflict. Chelsea’s centre backs are not very mobile and do not have the intensity or mentality to push high up and compact the space. They instead prefer to drop deeper and make themselves less likely to have to defend 1v1 situations with space around them.
    However with the signings of Oscar and Hazard in the summer, Chelsea now have an attacking trio, with the inclusion of Mata, that’s strength lies in their technical precision and because of this need to play higher up the pitch. What this means is that the team cannot stay as compact as they should do and taking into account the mobility of the front four in possession, also means they are vulnerable on transitions when they lose the ball. This was particularly evident in Di Matteo’s last game in charge, where Chelsea for parts of the game were effectively defending with six players and with a backline who couldn’t compact the space behind Chelsea’s front four to compensate for it. The result was that Mikel and Ramires had to cover too much and Juventus were able to run away comfortable winners.

Where is that from Sgt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What's your thinking on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Wish we never let steve clarke go, look how well hes doing with west brom! Would of been the man to get our defence in order aswell...

Always said that was the rock big Phil perished on huge mistake letting him join God at the happy hammers.

As for Chelski don't bother me much at all it is after all in common use. You can take all this PC stuff too far any reasonably well educated adult would not get upset with the use of a nickname. However we live in a PC nanny state where nicknames appear to be frowned upon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement