Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Phoenix wrote: »
    I dont see what good it brings to a discussion and i find it quite childish.
    I respect your view but I think greendom makes an excellent point on it.
    I genuinely don't see it as being an insult.
    I do see how it can be related to tabloids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Apparently Rafa has brought former Liverpool goalkeeper coach Xavi Valero with him.
    At Liverpool, he would scout the opposition goalkeepers for weaknesses and pass that info onto Torres

Also, after 16 mins, the SB faithful will chant RDM's name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Also, after 16 mins, the SB faithful will chant RDM's name!

Be great if Torres can score in the 16th minute! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

greendom wrote: »
    To me, not a Chelsea fan, it's a very appropriate moniker, much more so than Man Ure for example. The Russian Oligarch has completely transformed the club brought them trophies and players that would never have been seen at the Bridge without him. it needs to be made official :)
    Chelsea's transformation goes back to the mid-90s. Before RA invested, we were top two material and qualifying for the UCL. Some of our recent legends were already on board.

There's no doubting the impact of RA's billions, but he was buying into an upward trajectory. Credit to him and Jose for taking us to the next level. But a very solid foundation had already been laid.

On that basis alone the 'Chelski' moniker is a shallow one.

Under Mourinho, we would have won at least 3 more leagues and eventually got the CL. I think he would have got restless for a new challenge anyway.
    Theres still some good and upcoming managers out there.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't mean Pep/Jose or the highway!

But if we don't get either, there's always the risk we'll stay on the manager merry-go-round perpetually looking for the next 'AVB' (no disrespect to AVB).

Moreover, there's always the risk that if RA doesn't get his preferred shot at sexy football, he'll admit his mistakes, cut his losses and move on.

McDave wrote: »
    Chelsea's transformation goes back to the mid-90s. Before RA invested, we were top two material and qualifying for the UCL. Some of our recent legends were already on board.

There's no doubting the impact of RA's billions, but he was buying into an upward trajectory. Credit to him and Jose for taking us to the next level. But a very solid foundation had already been laid.

Thats certainly true. Bates and Hutchinson had hit on a "buy very good, but ageing players, slightly past their best policy" that pushed us up the league.
    marcel desailly, Zola, vialli etc.
    But the last game against Liverpool was the cruical one as it got us into the CL.
    Its no secret Bates was pushing hard to find new investment, especially after Mathew Harding (RIP) was gone.
    Its probably true, that our wage bill under Bates\Hutchinson was driving the club close to bankruptcy, like Leeds, so Roman was like double plus good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Chelsea's ascendancy goes back to the Matthew Harding era. He redeveloped what was a run-down Stamford Bridge, and brought Glenn Hoddle in as manager. That was the reason Gullit signed and was the moment when Chelsea became a player in the transfer market. Next thing you had the likes of Vialli and Zola coming in, the kind of player that Chelsea would never previously have been able to get. Hoddle getting Gullit in was the catalyst for everything that subsequently happened.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean Pep/Jose or the highway!

But if we don't get either, there's always the risk we'll stay on the manager merry-go-round perpetually looking for the next 'AVB' (no disrespect to AVB).

Moreover, there's always the risk that if RA doesn't get his preferred shot at sexy football, he'll admit his mistakes, cut his losses and move on.

Absolutely. We really need a long term manager, i dont think any fan would disagree. Apart from reducing the laughter value, it would bring stability and something of a long term plan to the club, rather than the current short term splurge on one position whilst leaving other positions short.
    last summer was a shining example. We let 2 strikers go, didnt replace them, we let Bose go and then scrambled around until eventually we got Cesar. Too many players bought because they are "good young prospects", rather than what we actually need, or the position we need, and then loaned out. Not the way to do it

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Chelsea's ascendancy goes back to the Matthew Harding era. He redeveloped what was a run-down Stamford Bridge, and brought Glenn Hoddle in as manager. That was the reason Gullit signed and was the moment when Chelsea became a player in the transfer market. Next thing you had the likes of Vialli and Zola coming in, the kind of player that Chelsea would never previously have been able to get. Hoddle getting Gullit in was the catalyst for everything that subsequently happened.
    Ah! The memories!!

Before that CFC was practically in the gutter. Wrecked by the 1973 oil crisis. Even back then though we still had our major pluses - John Neal, Kerry Dixon et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

it's only shallow in that Chelsea have been in existence for a long time before he got involved. The success and honours are all down to his money though. yes you had a few decent seasons immediately before but without his money I very much doubt you'd have been able to break through to the next level and actually win the league.

it's only shallow in that Chelsea have been in existence for a long time before he got involved. The success and honours are all down to his money though. yes you had a few decent seasons immediately before but without his money I very much doubt you'd have been able to break through to the next level and actually win the league.
    Chelsea were more than just 'in existence' before RA. Clubs like MU, Arsenal and Liverpool had more sustained success. But by 2000 CFC were knocking on the door. If RA 's money was the sole criterion, he could have bought Watford for free and taken it from there. But he was canny enough to realise CFC was on the threshold. And lo and behold, with a couple of key acquisitions Chelsea bagged the premiership.

Besides every club needs to buy big to build (Rio Ferdinand anyone?). The big trick is to stay at the top. That's the real test for RA's money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Chelsea were more than just 'in existence' before RA. Clubs like MU, Arsenal and Liverpool had more sustained success. But by 2000 CFC were knocking on the door. If RA 's money was the sole criterion, he could have bought Watford for free and taken it from there. But he was canny enough to realise CFC was on the threshold. And lo and behold, with a couple of key acquisitions Chelsea bagged the premiership.

Besides every club needs to buy big to build (Rio Ferdinand anyone?). The big trick is to stay at the top. That's the real test for RA's money.

Sorry i didn't mean "in existence" in a derogatory way - I meant that Chelsea have a history that long predates RA. And I've never doubted RA's cannyness !

Yes, perhaps Chelsea was on the threshold but without him it would never have broken through it.

Sorry i didn't mean "in existence" in a derogatory way - I meant that Chelsea have a history that long predates RA. And I've never doubted RA's cannyness !

Yes, perhaps Chelsea was on the threshold but without him it would never have broken through it.

Not to the extent that we have with RA. That's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

If Rafa had any doubt about his Chelsea roll

From today's programme :eek:........

article_26cb68b2b7dcde34_1353854131_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Dave Sexton RIP, manager of the great 70 cup winning side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

RichT wrote: »

I thought Zenden was brought in as assistant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Thoughts?

We didn't lose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Luiz is a shocking player, should be dropped IMO. Pretty much every time he got the ball he hoofed / passed it to a city player.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Cesar Azpilicueta was my MOM , looks really solid and comfortable in the position ,

Didnt think Luiz was too bad today , I would rather seem him hoof it up or pass it than trying to play out from the back .

Torres worked his socks off but its plain and simple unless he changes dramatically over the next few weeks should be finished with the club come January

MUSEIST wrote: »
    We didn't lose

and a clean sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Luiz is a shocking player, should be dropped IMO. Pretty much every time he got the ball he hoofed / passed it to a city player.

I really hope Barca still want him, what did the papers say 30m ? Away with him

Cesar Azpilicueta was my MOM , looks really solid and comfortable in the position ,

Didnt think Luiz was too bad today , I would rather seem him hoof it up or pass it than trying to play out from the back .

Torres worked his socks off but its plain and simple unless he changes dramatically over the next few weeks should be finished with the club come January

Agree with all of this. Very impressed with cesar.

I am beginning to feel sorry for torres. He worked so hard today but he fooked up everytime he got the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

That was our first clean sheet in 12 games :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Yeah Cesar has been very solid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Was good to see Ivanovic back as a centre half, it's by far his best position and we did seem to be a bit more solid at the back, if only because of Luiz not being as reckless as usual.

Cech's distribution was absolutely atrocious. Fernando Torres is no Didier Drogba and simply can't be expected to win every ball that's played long. Thanks to his horrible kick outs, I feel that we're almost always being put under pressure and not have the chances to actually create something.

On the rare occasion that we were in a position to create a real chance, we fell short. I know that the rain and slippery surface didn't help but this is English football at the end of the day and the conditions should be expected to be bad in the Winter months.

Where do you think we are going wrong though?
    We have 3 very creative players who arent creating.
    I think we shouldnt play them all at once as they all want to come inside and get in each others way.
    Then we try and pass it out wide, but the crosses are poor and we dont have a drogba type to egt on the end of them anyway
    confused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Thought Cesar and Oscar played really well sadly think Nando is finished. I thought Luiz was solid today I can see no reason at all to sell him capable of errors certainly but selling him would be a mistake.
    Can't see why Haz was taken off would have taken Nando off Haz was bringing something to the table Nando wasn't really must win next few games

haha Geoff Shreeves being Geoff Shreeves right now...

What he say?

He was trying to make Benitez cry by repeatedly telling him how much the fans hate him and how much they were booing him... standard Shreeves.

Ray Wilkins has just said he expects Gus Poyet to come in as the next manager? Definitely won't happen (RA wants a big name with experience) and I don't think he's ready to manage us yet... Saying that he's doing great stuff at Brighton.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Cesar was probably our best player today. Luiz has to be pushed further forward, would live to see him play DM. Too much of a liability at CB. Cahill and terry are our best pairing or Cahill and ivanovic.
    Torres is useless when 1 on 1 with a defender, you just know he will never beat them, it's actually embarrassing to see compared to how he used to skip past deffenders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Probably wont be next manager but should get a chance at some stage, given the shelf life of a Chelsea manager these days.
    Ray Wilkins has just said he expects Gus Poyet to come in as the next manager? Definitely won't happen (RA wants a big name with experience) and I don't think he's ready to manage us yet... Saying that he's doing great stuff at Brighton.

Felt Mata had a poor game. Gave up the ball too many times - usually being muscled off. Man C remind me lot of Chelsea under Mourinho. So we shouldn't be surprised we lost so many of the contests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Torres tried hard but alas same old same old.
    Luiz and Azpi our best players. Arguably Mata's worst game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

RichT wrote: »

I really don't understand this. It is bad enough that the fans are publicly undermining the manager but that sort of crap is just compounding the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Where do you think we are going wrong though?
    We have 3 very creative players who arent creating.
    I think we shouldnt play them all at once as they all want to come inside and get in each others way.
    Then we try and pass it out wide, but the crosses are poor and we dont have a drogba type to egt on the end of them anyway
    confused!

first off I've not been too impressed with the comings and goings at our club of late but it seems to me that since we were beaten so unjustly against utd we have been loosing confidence at an alarming rate and for one reason or another roberto didn't seem to be able to fix the problem, whether it was the players reacting to the obvious lack of faith in him from above or they themselves had a lack of faith we'll never know but even tho I felt sick to see raffa sitting in the dug out and I find it hard to believe that I'll ever fully embrace him I do believe that after only three days training that this result today is a step in the right direction.
    I was very fond of robbie as our manager but I'm also aware that a lot of the shine stems from that unforgettable night in Munich and if I were to choose any of our recent managers to lift that trophy it would be Matteo because I feel that he is the only manager that really loved the club and all of us as passionately as we love them. Unfortunately I think that maybe he got off to too good a start and all of a sudden expectations changed among-st RA the board and even us which with a very poor Torres we just couldn't sustain and to add insult to his poor form he has gone from hapless to hopeless and kicked all us fans who whole heartily stuck by him by putting in very lame performances, the tide is well and truly turned on him now!!!
    All I can say is good luck to Raffa for our sake but maybe I'll be proven wrong I hope not too see him next season. What would I do for some stability!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Is it just me or has the latest sacking really gone down badly with the fans?
    It seems that RA may feel the heat form the fans more than any other manager sacking to date- or do I have it wrong ?

I really dont think it's Rafas hiring that has caused the problems, but RDM's sacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I have really had enough of Roman the Russian acting like Paris bloody Hilton.

As a Chelsea fan for way too long, I dont appreciate histrionics, and expendability, and throwing your dummy out of the *****in pram when things go cloudy for a day or two.

Its ****i*n life Roman, get used to it, you spoiled prat.

How the Hell can you expect a plant to grow, when you rip it out of its sacred soil ( Chelsea CFC!!!!!) every six months.

Grow up, you spoiled little Oligarch. We managed before, we'll manage again. Now just kindly FU*K OFF and invest in something more appropriate to you like Geordie Shore or the X-Factor.!!!! Plenty of shallow glitz and glamour there.

Yours, kindly,

a True Blue from before you Roman were even shaving.

ps... thank you but no thanks!!!!

Leiva wrote: »
    It seems that RA may feel the heat form the fans more than any other manager sacking to date- or do I have it wrong ?

I really dont think it's Rafas hiring that has caused the problems, but RDM's sacking.
    Well we're all a fickle bunch I suppose and if raffa pulls off the impossible and delivers us another champions league we'll very quickly forget.
    I personally am disappointed with the treatment of a genuine club legend even more so now after last years heroics and if the rumors regarding lamps and Cole are true it re-enforces my disappoint.
    We have a lot to thank Roman for but he's making us a laughing stock amongst our peers, can you not see the big smirk on fergie's face sitting in his arm chair watching ssn ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Leiva wrote: »

The sacking went down poorly but that wave would of been ridden if he had not of put Raffa in Charge ,

Now , Im behind the team and manager but was disgusted to see Robbie go but can also see the view point of fans who feel Rafa has been less than complimentary about them not backing him and he will have to do his upmost to win them over.

I'm sorry lads, for getting so annoyed.

Forgive me for my puerile language. But I speak from the heart.

I'm truly sick of this owner. I adore Chelsea. You all know that.

Enough, I say.

Tigerbaby... Blue and true forever.

• Advertisement

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I'm sorry lads, for getting so annoyed.

Forgive me for my puerile language. But I speak from the heart.

I'm truly sick of this owner. I adore Chelsea. You all know that.

Enough, I say.

Tigerbaby... Blue and true forever.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments , would you give back all the trophies and memories over the last 9 years for the stability you desire , bearing in mind that Chelsea were heading to financial ruin before RA took over ,

They is a good chance we would not be in existence now or playing in the lower leagues.

Was Bates a better man to be steering the ship ?

ah Pistolpete I know exactly what you're saying my friend in Blue. Its a tough one to call.

But I would prefer integrity,loyalty, the odd FA cup win to be honest. I remember when we were the bete noir of Old Trafford and that was Loooooooong before Mr Abramovich. I got greater pleasure from Garner putting them to the sword than I do now in this egocentric, flatliner nonsense World.

I would prefer honesty, creativity, and home-grown beauty ( call me an idealist if you like) than this freak show.

RA hurt me with Mourinho, he hurt me more with Ancelloti, I've had enough with RDM.

I want him out.

I am but one man. yet if 41,000 of us stand together, then maybe RA will take the hint, and kindly.... Fu* off

So, Roman, F*CK OFF !

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Well we're all a fickle bunch I suppose and if raffa pulls off the impossible and delivers us another champions league we'll very quickly forget.
    I personally am disappointed with the treatment of a genuine club legend even more so now after last years heroics and if the rumors regarding lamps and Cole are true it re-enforces my disappoint.
    We have a lot to thank Roman for but he's making us a laughing stock amongst our peers, can you not see the big smirk on fergie's face sitting in his arm chair watching ssn ?

I already posted this in the Rafa thread but...

It doesnt really matter if we get behind him or not, because like RDM, he simply doesnt have the tools to do the job.
    All great sides have a great striker and if we do go mad in Jan (and looked what happened last time - Torres and Luiz) we will be too far behind by then I reckon
    Fergie knows a thing or 2 about titles, and thats why he went after RVP
    We dont stand a chance with Torres\Danny, compared with the Utd\City strike forces and thats not being negative - just realistic.
    Chelsea over loaded with No10's and they just cant play together against top sides or fit any proper formation without taking away some of their effectiveness.
    And thats the problem with us hiring and firing - no long term plan, no manager to plan 2/3 seasons ahead - just buy good players and hope the manager can fit them in somehow.
    All our managers have been able to fall back on the guts of Raneris and Mourinhos squad, but that is coming to the end and the new guys arent anywhere near their level

Whilst I agree with your sentiments , would you give back all the trophies and memories over the last 9 years for the stability you desire , bearing in mind that Chelsea were heading to financial ruin before RA took over ,

They is a good chance we would not be in existence now or playing in the lower leagues.

Was Bates a better man to be steering the ship ?
    Agree with this but it's clear that Roman doesn't care much for the voice of us and when he does look for guidance he puts his faith in imbecile's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    ah Pistolpete I know exactly what you're saying my friend in Blue. Its a tough one to call.

But I would prefer integrity,loyalty, the odd FA cup win to be honest. I remember when we were the bete noir of Old Trafford and that was Loooooooong before Mr Abramovich. I got greater pleasure from Garner putting them to the sword than I do now in this egocentric, flatliner nonsense World.

I would prefer honesty, creativity, and home-grown beauty ( call me an idealist if you like) than this freak show.

RA hurt me with Mourinho, he hurt me more with Ancelloti, I've had enough with RDM.

I want him out.

I am but one man. yet if 41,000 of us stand together, then maybe RA will take the hint, and kindly.... Fu* off

So, Roman, F*CK OFF !

I wouldn't mind him going, main worry would be he would want to take his toys with him and financially destroy the club. Part of the reason I hope Chelsea Pitch Owners continue to stand firm.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement