Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

MUSEIST wrote: »
    I think he's terrible when played out wide. His best position is in a 3 man midfield where he is given license to make bursts forward. At the mo he is being asked to be very disciplined and I don't think it suits him tbh.

I know what you mean, i dont mean play him as a winger i mean right hand side of midfield where he can run an defenders or up the flank while he still has the energy and work rate to get back and defend. He could be an amazing central midfeilder if he had a better touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Feruz mustn't be upto the standard yet, Owen and Rooney were exceptional talents lets not forget.

Thing is Gav we don't know and will we ever as this is another price we are paying for our managerial merry go round. AVB, RDM our current interim cant really try young players given their circumstance. I am almost certain were he at ManU he would have had a cup appearance or two at least under his belt already and perhaps a bench spot.

Our most difficult league match for the remained of the year is perhaps the happy hammers away or Fulham at home. Of the 7 games remaining this season we need to win 6 at least. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thing is Gav we don't know and will we ever as this is another price we are paying for our managerial merry go round. AVB, RDM our current interim cant really try young players given their circumstance. I am almost certain were he at ManU he would have had a cup appearance or two at least under his belt already and perhaps a bench spot.

Our most difficult league match for the remained of the year is perhaps the happy hammers away or Fulham at home. Of the 7 games remaining this season we need to win 6 at least. Fingers crossed.

I'm going to side with the U18 coaches and 1st team coaches, if he hasnt been given a shot its because hes not ready.

The guy is only what, 17? Hes going to be over the hill next year or the year after but if hes not ready now then he'll need time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

So these comments were never made?

"We don't need to give away flags for our fans to wave; our supporters are always there with their hearts, and that is all we need. It's the passion of the fans that helps to win matches, not flags."

"For me there is only one club in England, and that's Liverpool."

Is that what you are saying

The first quote is not 100% accurate and taken out of context if you don't read the whole quotes from Rafa that day.
    Where did you find the second quote?
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/335939/229688.jpg

Great thing about football is the difference in opinion personally I side with our managerial merry go around making it very difficult to bring kids through.

With regard to our strike force I side with Albert Einstein "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

• Advertisement

Great thing about football is the difference in opinion personally I side with our managerial merry go around making it very difficult to bring kids through.
    Brendan Rodgers could be deemed part of a managerial merry go around at Liverpool yet he has brought Raheem Sterling, Suso and Andre Wisdom in to be first team regulars this season.
    Granted Liverpool aren't setting the world alight this season but it's not because of these youngsters.
    In fact I think lots of clubs would gladly take Sterling and Suso in to their squads. More so Sterling.

My point is it can be done. Perhaps some of the kids at Chelsea just aren't ready?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

amiable wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers could be deemed part of a managerial merry go around at Liverpool yet he has brought Raheem Sterling, Suso and Andre Wisdom in to be first team regulars this season.
    Granted Liverpool aren't setting the world alight this season but it's not because of these youngsters.
    In fact I think lots of clubs would gladly take Sterling and Suso in to their squads. More so Sterling.

My point is it can be done. Perhaps some of the kids at Chelsea just aren't ready?

I think it could be argued that the pool of young talent at Chelsea, especially the ones that were loaned out, is quite strong but that there is a greater level of expectation and pressure placed on the current Chelsea team (as well as whoever is manager at the time) by the owner than what is exerted at Liverpool.

Also I think budget comes into play as well. Chelsea can afford to fill it's first team with players that would for the most part be first team ready whilst sending their promising youngsters to get first team experience elsewhere, but at Liverpool many of the young players have been gambled upon thanks to many of the first teamers not being good enough and the money not having been spent (or being available) to bring in first teamers of a suitable nature.

Comparing promising players at a club like Chelsea that already has a strong first team squad and a club like Liverpool that does not have the same quality in the first team squad is like comparing chalk and cheese. If we had a strong first team squad at Liverpool with genuine quality in the wide roles etc., then I doubt we would have seen Sterling & co gambled on to quite the same degree as they have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I think there is an overreaction to the problems within the team. I think once JT and Lamps are back playing, and Rafa gets to grip with the job, we will get stronger and I am confident we will finish top 4. We are still rebuilding and our early season form was a bit of a blip.
    I don't think we are capable of winning the league as we currently do not have that durability that the Manchester clubs have of being able to grind out those vital wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think it could be argued that the pool of young talent at Chelsea, especially the ones that were loaned out, is quite strong but that there is a greater level of expectation and pressure placed on the current Chelsea team (as well as whoever is manager at the time) by the owner than what is exerted at Liverpool.

Also I think budget comes into play as well. Chelsea can afford to fill it's first team with players that would for the most part be first team ready whilst sending their promising youngsters to get first team experience elsewhere, but at Liverpool many of the young players have been gambled upon thanks to many of the first teamers not being good enough and the money not having been spent (or being available) to bring in first teamers of a suitable nature.

Comparing promising players at a club like Chelsea that already has a strong first team squad and a club like Liverpool that does not have the same quality in the first team squad is like comparing chalk and cheese. If we had a strong first team squad at Liverpool with genuine quality in the wide roles etc., then I doubt we would have seen Sterling & co gambled on to quite the same degree as they have been.

It's incredible to think that Chelsea tried to loan Oscar out for the season in the Summer. I think it's extremely odd that Lukaku was loaned out too especially as they're so short on options up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Blatter wrote: »
    It's incredible to think that Chelsea tried to loan Oscar out for the season in the Summer. I think it's extremely odd that Lukaku was loaned out too especially as they're so short on options up front.

I was amazed to hear that we tried to loan out oscar. He is a full brazil international and we intended to loan him out. Utter insanity, but then again it is chelsea:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The first quote is not 100% accurate and taken out of context if you don't read the whole quotes from Rafa that day.
    Where did you find the second quote?
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/335939/229688.jpg

If you start quoting ignorance is bliss at people you should at least be in control of facts.

To quote fully "where ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I was amazed to hear that we tried to loan out oscar. He is a full brazil international and we intended to loan him out. Utter insanity, but then again it is chelsea:rolleyes:

Yea first I heard of that was during commentary yesterday quite amazing if true, cant remember the commentators name but he is generally on the ball quite well.

I never understood the Lukaku one TBH.

Oscar going on loan would have been a bad decision too, much like De Bruyne going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I think he's terrible when played out wide. His best position is in a 3 man midfield where he is given license to make bursts forward. At the mo he is being asked to be very disciplined and I don't think it suits him tbh.

I don't think it suits him because most people wouldn't trust Mikel to protect a boiling kettle, let alone a top-flight defence.

The idea of Oscar being loaned out was not really a shocking one as I know that I thought that between Mata, Hazard, and Marin there would be little chance of Oscar getting a lot of first team minutes.

Lukaku I would agree with you on because I have been blathering on about him for a number of seasons, and I always hoped that Liverpool would sign him despite him being such a big fan of Chelsea. My own take on the summer just gone is that Chelsea loaned out the young striker that could have added some genuine bite to their first team by way of being proper cover/competition for Torres, and instead they kept the youngish striker that I think is horribly overrated and who, imho, offers very little to the team along with being, again imho, a very poor foil for the likes of Mata and Hazard.

De Bruyne is another that I thought they might keep as, like Lakuku, I thought he was quality in Belgium, and would make for genuine cover for Hazard, Marin, and Mata as he can play on either wing or as an AM.

Possibly a similar case could be made for the likes of Bruma, Courtois, Kakatu, and possibly van Aanholt, but I think a stronger arguement could be made against them staying by pointing at who Chelsea already have in their squad for those positions, and more so by pointing at the expectation/pressure that any manager of the club must be under from Roman.

The young talent at Chelsea is very impressive, but unlike the Chelsea FC of 20 years ago, hell maybe even of ten years ago, it really cannot gamble on pushing a lot of young players into the first team straight away unless it is amazing young talent like Hazard that is already somewhat tried and tested elsewhere.

It's a shame in a way that Chelsea cannot really gamble on putting a number of their current batch of young players (in the 18 to 21 bracket) into the first team squad, because many look like being good enough and certainly would walk into lesser teams, but they are a club that most seasons is competing at the business end the major trophies and as such the manager must cut his cloth in order to keep Roman happy rather than try to start the foundation to a dynasty like Ferguson built at United.

Dont beleive every thing you hear/read.
    Our youth system is one of the best in the world at the moment and we scout players from all over the planet buying up the best prospects. Some one attempted to compair us to Liverpool but if you want to compare us to any body it would have to be ManCity or Real Madrid at the moment. We have a huge squad that is full of international players so any young players coming through our youth system will have to be special to make it with us.

Bertrand is the latest one to make the grade with us but the likes of McEachran has Lampard Oscar Oriol etc in his way. I dont belive in giving youths a game for the sake of it, they have to prove their worth wether its in training or on loan or cup/friendly games they must prove they are as good as one of our first 11.

I know some will say how can they become better if they dont get games but this is why players are loaned out. The players that are loaned are good enough to do a job for another team for what ever reason but not good enough to oust one of our starting players. Bertrand is making his mark with us now because he just has Cole in front of him and PVA got the loan spell. No look at Kevin DeBruyne he is doing exceptionally well with his loan club but is he as good as Oscar Hazard or Mata??.....Personally i think he is good enough to to a job with us but its up to the manager. Id start him in a few cup games and use him as a sub in the PL.

To be fair I was just using it as an example against the idea it's because of a managerial merry go round.
    We all know Liverpool threw the kids in because they were up ****s creek.
    My point stands. Merry go round has nothing to do with it.

I dont think Bertrand is good enough for this club as a long term replacement for Cole.

If you start quoting ignorance is bliss at people you should at least be in control of facts.

To quote fully "where ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise"

My post Ignorance is bliss was not a quote or a part quote merely a statement but carry on to attack the wrong part of my post when you can't address the point in hand that you have based your opinion on Rafa Benitez on misquotes.

• Advertisement

Phoenix wrote: »
    So lads according to the daily express we are in for Suarez :pac: will he be our answers for a striker or will Falcao be?

Wont happen, we've a better chance of getting Falcao and I dont think that will happen until the summer either.

To be fair I was just using it as an example against the idea it's because of a managerial merry go round.
    We all know Liverpool threw the kids in because they were up ****s creek.
    My point stands. Merry go round has nothing to do with it.

Could easily say it has everything to do with it in each case.

At Liverpool the young players were being gambled upon due to the manager thinking the senior players available to him were not good enough, and as such he is gambling on the youth to do better for him that the older players he does not rate. The reward for the manager in that situation is to stay in the job longer and not be just a part of a nonstop merry go round.

At Chelsea you could argue that because of the much higher expectations of the owner and his willingness to pull the trigger on a manager, the manager will not be as inclined to gamble on untested youth and will try to get the players who are meant to be of higher and proven quality to get him the results that prevent him from being part of a managerial merry go round.

We could argue it one way or the other, but in Chelsea's case I think the fact that any manager there has to keep the club in the hunt for the CL and the PL means that there is less margin for error and most managers will go for the "safer" option of playing the senior or big money players over the young untested ones.

Wont happen, we've a better chance of getting Falcao and I dont think that will happen until the summer either.

That article is a bit wishy washy and seems very similar to an article that was in the Sunday People.
    Every club with Chelsea's wealth is going to be interested in Suarez as he is currently one of the best players in the EPL.

Phoenix wrote: »
    So lads according to the daily express we are in for Suarez :pac: will he be our answers for a striker or will Falcao be?

You can keep him!!! Id rather Falcao/Shurrle/Jovetic/Cavani/Neymar any one bar Suarez.
    He is a good player but brings too much baggage and is not the clinical finisher we need to lead our attack.

Is Suarez not top scorer in the league though? :confused:

I dont think Bertrand is good enough for this club as a long term replacement for Cole.

Why not Gav?? I have to say i really like the lad but i do think PVA is slightly better overall.
    I think both can make it with us, both are still very young as defenders go so he has lots to learn i agree but think he shows a lot of promise, plus he is english which always helps.

what a day wrote: »
    Why not Gav?? I have to say i really like the lad but i do think PVA is slightly better overall.
    I think both can make it with us, both are still very young as defenders go so he has lots to learn i agree but think he shows a lot of promise, plus he is english which always helps.

I was more impressed with PVA in saying that neither are good enough to be considered direct repalcements for Cole, both can be good stop gaps but never replacements.

Cole at their age was a regualr at Arsenal and miles ahead of both in terms of development, maybe PVA can become first choice as I think hes got a better chance then Bertrand but its all down to the manager.

Is Suarez not top scorer in the league though? :confused:

For now he is yes but see how he gets on come the end of the season. He's more miss then hit if you ask me but the main reason i dont want him is because his personality on the pitch, its bad enough we have Cole and Terry.

• Advertisement

I was more impressed with PVA in saying that neither are good enough to be considered direct repalcements for Cole, both can be good stop gaps but never replacements.

Cole at their age was a regualr at Arsenal and miles ahead of both in terms of development, maybe PVA can become first choice as I think hes got a better chance then Bertrand but its all down to the manager.

Maybe neither will ever be as good as Cole but both look like they are good LBs. I would not write them off just yet, maybe one of them can become better then cole.............hopefully.

For now he is yes but see how he gets on come the end of the season. He's more miss then hit if you ask me but the main reason i dont want him is because his personality on the pitch, its bad enough we have Cole and Terry.

Think he finished with 17 goals inthe EPL last year, Kess or Amiable will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd have him at the drop of a hat anyway, as shown with Cole & JT I dont care what they do off the pitch once the perfroamcnes on it are top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The idea of Oscar being loaned out was not really a shocking one as I know that I thought that between Mata, Hazard, and Marin there would be little chance of Oscar getting a lot of first team minutes.

Lukaku I would agree with you on because I have been blathering on about him for a number of seasons, and I always hoped that Liverpool would sign him despite him being such a big fan of Chelsea. My own take on the summer just gone is that Chelsea loaned out the young striker that could have added some genuine bite to their first team by way of being proper cover/competition for Torres, and instead they kept the youngish striker that I think is horribly overrated and who, imho, offers very little to the team along with being, again imho, a very poor foil for the likes of Mata and Hazard.

De Bruyne is another that I thought they might keep as, like Lakuku, I thought he was quality in Belgium, and would make for genuine cover for Hazard, Marin, and Mata as he can play on either wing or as an AM.

Possibly a similar case could be made for the likes of Bruma, Courtois, Kakatu, and possibly van Aanholt, but I think a stronger arguement could be made against them staying by pointing at who Chelsea already have in their squad for those positions, and more so by pointing at the expectation/pressure that any manager of the club must be under from Roman.

The young talent at Chelsea is very impressive, but unlike the Chelsea FC of 20 years ago, hell maybe even of ten years ago, it really cannot gamble on pushing a lot of young players into the first team straight away unless it is amazing young talent like Hazard that is already somewhat tried and tested elsewhere.

It's a shame in a way that Chelsea cannot really gamble on putting a number of their current batch of young players (in the 18 to 21 bracket) into the first team squad, because many look like being good enough and certainly would walk into lesser teams, but they are a club that most seasons is competing at the business end the major trophies and as such the manager must cut his cloth in order to keep Roman happy rather than try to start the foundation to a dynasty like Ferguson built at United.

Re Oscar: I think there was/is plenty of games to go around this season for Chelsea that a player of Oscar's quality should have gotten plenty of minutes on the pitch. Having Hazard, Mata, Marin, Oscar, Moses, Sturridge in the squad for the AM/wide positions isn't too top heavy. United have Nani, Valencia, Young, Rooney, Kagawa, Welbeck all on the books when realistically only three of them can play at any one time. Madrid have Ozil, di Maria, Kaka, Ronaldo, Modric, Callejon and so on. The more quality you have the more chance you have of winning things throughout the season. I think Chelsea misjudged how good/capable Oscar was, which shouldn't really be happening imo.

I totally agree on Lukaku. It was blatantly obvious from his Anderlecht days that he has serious potential and should have been given a proper chance. He's been excellent for West Brom anytime I've seen him this season. I'd have no doubt that Rafa will probably look into recall him from his loan spell. Whether that's possible or not is another story.

I think the pressure for instant success placed on Chelsea managers has a negative knock on effect throughout the whole club. It's very difficult for a manager to want to make plans for the future if they think there's a good chance they'll get the sack within a couple of years. From their point of view, what's the point?

Think he finished with 17 goals inthe EPL last year, Kess or Amiable will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd have him at the drop of a hat anyway, as shown with Cole & JT I dont care what they do off the pitch once the perfroamcnes on it are top class.

I think it was actually 11 EPL goals last season where he was suspended for a quarter of the season.
    Liverpool also underperformed last season so he did ok IMHO.
    He was prolific with Ajax though and is currently only 3 goals away from being the all time leading goalscorer for Uruguay

Maybe neither will ever be as good as Cole but both look like they are good LBs. I would not write them off just yet, maybe one of them can become better then cole.............hopefully.

If both of them combine their talents they could become better then Cole but that wont happen.

I'd have higher hopes for PVA, seems to be a better attacking LB anytime I've seen him but it depends really if the manager will play Bertrand as hes been playing more recently.

I think it was actually 11 EPL goals last season where he was suspended for a quarter of the season.
    He was prolific with Ajax though and is currently only 3 goals away from being the all time leading goalscorer for Uruguay

Which shows that 10 so far isnt a fluke IMO.

• Advertisement

My post Ignorance is bliss was not a quote or a part quote merely a statement but carry on to attack the wrong part of my post when you can't address the point in hand that you have based your opinion on Rafa Benitez on misquotes.

So you incorrectly use part of a quote to make a point about not addressing quotes correctly, interesting concept.

And have you found the second quote yet seems not.

Which shows that 10 so far isnt a fluke IMO.

Having watched every game this season it is indeed far from a fluke.
    He's also good for an assisst too and had a goal wrongly disallowed this season at Everton.
    He has also had a couple of penalty decisions wrongly go against him this season.
    I think Luis Suarez would improve any team in the EPL.
    Yes he does have baggage but it's the price you pay sometimes.

So you incorrectly use part of a quote to make a point about not addressing quotes correctly, interesting concept.

And have you found the second quote yet seems not.

I asked you for the second quote. If you quote something you need to give the source.
    Me saying ''ignorance is bliss'' is a statement by me and not a quote as I have pointed out already and you are proving the statement. Thanks :)

I quite like Suarez I think he is a very clever player, the goal he scored against us may have been a little push on Ram but it was a clever goal none the less. My main concern with him is how good is his goals to chances ratio I seem to remember reading it somewhere and it was not great. That being said normally we do create chances.

The whole diving thing bah its part of the game and similar to the respect the referee thing if the powers that be wanted shot of it they would get rid of it with retrospective punishment. I think it is working against him a bit now against us he did seem to try and stay on his feet.

That being said don't see him coming to us for that sort of money I do think there are better out there.

Its also worth noting that Surez wouldnt join us.

Did he not recently put cold water on a City advance or talks of a City move?

• Advertisement

On the goal Suarez got against chelsea I seem to remember Ramires had a hold of Suarez's jersey too so it was probably 50/50 IMHO.

But in saying that it's what you'd expect of a good striker to give his marker a little nudge to create a bit of room.

I'm surprised it's being debated whether he'd be a good addition to Chelsea.

Its also worth noting that Surez wouldnt join us.

Did he not recently put cold water on a City advance or talks of a City move?

To be fair Gav I never thought Torres would join Chelsea

What do Chelsea fans think of Daniel Sturridge being a Liverpool target?
    He seems to be consistently linked lately.

To be fair Gav I never thought Torres would join Chelsea

I'll be more specific, I dont see Suarez joining us in the next 2 transfer windows and by then we'll have more then likely got in a striker anyway.

What do Chelsea fans think of Daniel Sturridge being a Liverpool target?
    He seems to be consistently linked lately.

Ye can have him IMO.

I'd rather take Lukaku back and have a different option then just out an out pace that Sturridge has.

Also I dont think he'd add much to the team at the moment.

He'd in essence be swapping one becnh for another IMHO.

I asked you for the second quote. If you quote something you need to give the source.
    Me saying ''ignorance is bliss'' is a statement by me and not a quote as I have pointed out already and you are proving the statement. Thanks :)

From Thomas Gray's poem, Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College (1742): "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." Thats a direct quote which you quoted incorrectly and now dress, also incorrectly as a statement.

http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/11/24/Rafa-Benitezs-Quotes.aspx

Have a look at #6 (#5 as well if you want).

You seem to like our interim manager I dont it is that simple. You wont change my mind I wont change (nor want to change) yours, I dont understand why you cannot accept that.

From Thomas Gray's poem, Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College (1742): "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." Thats a direct quote which you quoted incorrectly and now dress, also incorrectly as a statement.

http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/11/24/Rafa-Benitezs-Quotes.aspx

Have a look at #6 (#5 as well if you want).

You seem to like our interim manager I dont it is that simple. You wont change my mind I wont change (nor want to change) yours, I dont understand why you cannot accept that.

I actually couldn't give a rats arse whether you like him or not I just find it funny your opinion seems to be based on ignorance and that source/link you provided is a blog and a terrible source.
    You haven't even acknowledged the first quote you posted is not accurate.

Any chance of a real source?

I genuinely don't know how many times I have to explain to you my ignorance is bliss comment was a statement rather than a quote but this is the soccer forum and I have very little interest in poetry when posting in this forum.

If Chelsea fans want to Boo Benitez and hate them that's just fine with me.
    But I am quite entitled to give my opinion on it on an open forum as long as I stick to the rules. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

One positive I can see from Rafa: good job, bad job, win everything, win nothing... He probably knows he's as good as gone in the summer. He may as well gamble like fúck and play players that normally wouldn't have gotten a sniff of a game. Would do our youths/reserves no harm at all.

And if it hits the fan in the game, have some experience and big guns on the bench who can come on and shore things up if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

DazMarz wrote: »
    One positive I can see from Rafa: good job, bad job, win everything, win nothing... He probably knows he's as good as gone in the summer. He may as well gamble like fúck and play players that normally wouldn't have gotten a sniff of a game. Would do our youths/reserves no harm at all.

And if it hits the fan in the game, have some experience and big guns on the bench who can come on and shore things up if needed.

Love to see Marin get a chance, he was good in pre-season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement