Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

amiable wrote: »
    I actually couldn't give a rats arse whether you like him or not I just find it funny your opinion seems to be based on ignorance and that source/link you provided is a blog and a terrible source.
    You haven't even acknowledged the first quote you posted is not accurate.

Any chance of a real source?

I genuinely don't know how many times I have to explain to you my ignorance is bliss comment was a statement rather than a quote but this is the soccer forum and I have very little interest in poetry when posting in this forum.

If Chelsea fans want to Boo Benitez and hate them that's just fine with me.
    But I am quite entitled to give my opinion on it on an open forum as long as I stick to the rules. :)

So did he ever make these comments or not, you seem reluctant to answer that question. You also seem to miss that it is ironic that you have a problem with someone allegedly misquoting by misquoting a quote to make your point.

Anyways I am sure everyone else is bored with this I sure am so lets just agree to differ and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

So did he ever make these comments or not, you seem reluctant to answer that question. You also seem to miss that it is ironic that you have a problem with someone allegedly misquoting by misquoting a quote to make your point.

Anyways I am sure everyone else is bored with this I sure am so lets just agree to differ and move on.
    So you can't provide a link to a reliable source that isn't a blog?
    I've already said your first quote is wrong.
    your second quote has no reliable source so is nottrue either.

Love to see Marin get a chance, he was good in pre-season

Quite keen to see him as well he did look good in pre season more than curious at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

amiable wrote: »
    What do Chelsea fans think of Daniel Sturridge being a Liverpool target?
    He seems to be consistently linked lately.

Last week I would of thought that Sturridge was off, but with Rafa coming in everyones position could be up for grabs, if Danny can get into the team I see him statying, if not then I think he'll leave.

Interesting Roman and our interim manager watching U21's tonight on Cobham chance for some lads to catch the eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Feruz scored the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ye can have him IMO.

I'd rather take Lukaku back and have a different option then just out an out pace that Sturridge has.

Also I dont think he'd add much to the team at the moment.

He'd in essence be swapping one becnh for another IMHO.

I think you and others are very harsh on Sturridge. OK he hasn't been great for approaching 12 months but I think given the fact he's only 23, hasn't been given a decent run in the team and has been switched between the wing and up front, he deserves to be cut a lot of slack.

He needs to become more mature in his play and become more of a team player, I think that's clear. If he can do this, I believe he has the ability to become a very good striker. Lets not forget a couple of seasons ago he scored 8 EPL goals in 12 appearances for a struggling Bolton side at the age of 21. The ability is there, I think he just needs solid game time in his best position in order for him to iron out his deficiencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Blatter wrote: »
    I think you and others are very harsh on Sturridge. OK he hasn't been great for approaching 12 months but I think given the fact he's only 23, hasn't been given a decent run in the team and has been switched between the wing and up front, he deserves to be cut a lot of slack.

He needs to become more mature in his play and become more of a team player, I think that's clear. If he can do this, I believe he has the ability to become a very good striker. Lets not forget a couple of seasons ago he scored 8 EPL goals in 12 appearances for a struggling Bolton side at the age of 21. The ability is there, I think he just needs solid game time in his best position in order for him to iron out his deficiencies.

I agree but I fear he looks like a player that has lost some of his hunger.

Would a move to another club PL club reignite his desire ? probably, but as a Liverpool supporter I don't think we can afford that risk if he will or not as we already have enough blunt over payed players on the books, and our next striker purchase really needs to be on the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Leiva wrote: »
    I agree but I fear he looks like a player that has lost some of his hunger.

Would a move to another club PL club reignite his desire ? probably, but as a Liverpool supporter I don't think we can afford that risk if he will or not as we already have enough blunt over payed players on the books, and our next striker purchase really needs to be on the money.

I know where you're coming from with regards a Liverpool point of view. Anything around £15m would probably be too much of a risk for ye, i would buy all day long if the fee was around 10m though.

If another club takes a punt on him he'll no doubt be a risk but I think he's young enough to get his head straight and score goals on a regular basis. Just my gut feeling that he'll do well for himself in the end.

• Advertisement

I know where you're coming from with regards a Liverpool point of view. Anything around £15m would probably be too much of a risk for ye, i would buy all day long if the fee was around 10m though.

If another club takes a punt on him he'll no doubt be a risk but I think he's young enough to get his head straight and score goals on a regular basis. Just my gut feeling that he'll do well for himself in the end.

No doubting the guy is a talent and maybe being unfairly pre-judged by similar young english players that became flash in the pans.

You have me now doubting my doubt about him, as if he was a success at LFC he would clean up with the amount of ball he would get in the final 3rd.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

My main gripe is he seems a little headless and greedy.

Greed is good if your returns warrant it but for me Sturridge is a decent player but the not forward we need.

I'd be much happier if we shipped him out and brought back Lukaku and give him a chance if I'm honest.

If Liverpool were willing to pay the sum thats been reported I think they'ed be mad but I'd snap off their arm for it.

Hopefully seniors can follow example of u21's against Fulham nice 3-0 win would be good

Greed is good if your returns warrant it but for me Sturridge is a decent player but the not forward we need.

I'd be much happier if we shipped him out and brought back Lukaku and give him a chance if I'm honest.

If Liverpool were willing to pay the sum thats been reported I think they'ed be mad but I'd snap off their arm for it.

Some of that greed may come from him trying too hard to capitalise on the limited game time he currently gets, no excuse I know, but I would like to see how he would do with regular starts like at Bolton.

Some of that greed may come from him trying too hard to capitalise on the limited game time he currently gets, no excuse I know, but I would like to see how he would do with regular starts like at Bolton.

Depends on what Rafa wants I guess.

Does he persist with Torres or does he try the quicker Sturridge?

TBH I dont think our current playing style suits either but falls more favouarbly towards Torres as hes a better footballer.

If we released the balls earlier then Dannys pace is a huge asset but Torres upfront brings more around him into the game during those slow build ups.

I know its all madness but Roman could have genuinely thought, Rafa + Torres = Goals.

Yea for me too greedy as well. Greed is good in strikers but you need to look up as well. Maybe he will learn this it for now Lakaku might be better

• Advertisement

Hopefully seniors can follow example of u21's against Fulham nice 3-0 win would be good 3 points would be nice.

Fixed that for ya. :pac:

Given our recent run getting back to winning ways is a must and we have 2 London derbies that we could easily do it in, the fans will certainly be looking for 6 points anyway.

Look have a word with Roman and tell him to send Danny over to us in exchange for:

1.) the English Messi
    2.) choc-ice
    3.) packet of snacks.

Look have a word with Roman and tell him to send Danny over to us in exchange for:

1.) the English Messi
    2.) choc-ice :eek:

thats_racist_animated1.gif
    3.) packet of snacks.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I think he could become a very good player for us, but not top top drawer.
    I dont think he will ever be an undisputed No 1 Striker for a top 4 side
    He gets into great positions, shoots a hell of a lot more than Torres and can do the unexpected.
    I'd even like to see him as part of a front 2.
    Yes he can be greedy but I still say that can be coached out of him
    The difference in watching him and Torres is like chalk and cheese, he goes hunting for the ball and doesnt have to wait for the right type of pass. He's very instinctive

He gets into great positions, shoots a hell of a lot more than Torres and can do the unexpected.
    The difference in watching him and Torres is like chalk and cheese, he goes hunting for the ball and doesnt have to wait for the right type of pass. He's very instinctive

+1 for a front 2.

Would utilise both of their strengths but it will never happen.

• Advertisement

1.) the English Messi
    2.) choc-ice
    3.) packet of snacks.

We already have the German Messi you can only have so many Messi's. you could para phrase Wilde here to not play one Messi may be regarded as a misfortune to not play both looks like carelessness ....

In fairness he does indeed go looking for the ball and unlike Nando is not afraid to have a crack. Do you think he would ever be satisfied not being a number one striker?

In fairness he does indeed go looking for the ball and unlike Nando is not afraid to have a crack. Do you think he would ever be satisfied not being a number one striker?

No, he has a big ego, really believes in himself.
    I think he will leave Chelsea, he knows he wont ever be No 1 there, he seen the way Chelsea just buy off the peg and he aint exotic enough

Well Rafa does like rotating so Danny should see game time.

If we go to the Eropea league Danny will be our number 1 there I'd reckon.

Change the whole team :

Turnbull

Paolo F Cahill Ivan Bertrand

Romeu Lamps

Moses Piazon Marin

Sturridge

Chelsea under 21's beat Fulham 3-0 and Benny and Roman were watching!

Chelsea's Under-21s made it six games without defeat with a resounding home win against neighbours Fulham on Monday night.
    Nathan Ake (main picture, right) set Chelsea on our way with a brilliant curling finish on the quarter-hour, and Dermot Drummy's side never looked back in front of a watching Roman Abramovich and Rafael Benitez, who would surely have been impressed by what they saw, particularly in the opening 45 minutes.
    As the first half wore on, so Chelsea's performance improved, and there was no surprise when Islam Feruz doubled the lead with a well-taken finish following a smart through ball from captain George Saville.
    Before half-time it was three thanks to a finely-worked team goal that saw the ball moved patiently from one end to the other and across both sides of the pitch before Lewis Baker squared for Adam Phillip to finish.
    First Half
    Striker Feruz was the recipient of the game's first opportunity when he was presented the ball by Fulham defender Matthew Briggs, whose backpass fell woefully short. The Scottish striker ran on and attempted to lift the ball over goalkeeper Jesse Joronen but skewed his shot wide.
    Billy Clifford lifted a shot wastefully over shortly afterwards following good work from Adam Phillip, and Feruz saw another effort blocked, before Phillip tested the keeper for the first time with a well-struck, though straight, free-kick.
    The opening 15 minutes or so had been far from one-sided, though it was Chelsea getting their shots away and the Blues went in front through a fine goal from Nathan Ake.
    Playing in midfield, the Dutchman received the ball inside the centre-circle, turned smartly and released before continuing his run, picking it up once more from Baker and bending home a lovely left-footed effort from the edge of the box, beating the fully stretched Joronen.
    Ake looked comfortable in an unfamiliar role, and started Chelsea's next flowing move too, which began in our own penalty area and ended with Phillip shooting too tamely at the keeper. Shortly afterwards Rohan Ince saw a header cleared off the line at a corner as the Blues began to dominate our west London neighbours.
    Tika Musonda, overlapping from right-back, chased onto a Feruz pass and squared across goal, where only a Fulham interception denied Phillip a tap home.
    Watching on, both Roman Abramovich and Rafael Benitez would be encouraged by what they had seen from Drummy's youngsters.
    Feruz was booked for a foul on 25, before Phillip went close once more with a low drive that flashed just past the post.
    A second Chelsea goal was looking likely, and when it arrived it was once again a result of superb midfield work.
    Captain George Saville showed excellent footwork inside the Fulham half, and measured his through ball for Feruz perfectly, allowing the diminutive forward to control with one touch, pause, and fire low into the far bottom corner to double his side's deserved lead.
    Before the break there was time for a third, and it was another display of excellence. This time it was a team move, as Chelsea kept possession, showing patience and control before an incisive pass found Baker down the right, and when he crossed low into the box Phillip was on hand to slide home the goal he had been threatening for much of this first half.
    Second Half
    Fulham's Josh Pritchard and Phillip, who had earlier been warned, were both cautioned for fouls early in the second period.
    Feruz, perhaps with Saturday's FA Youth Cup game at Colchester United in mind, was replaced up front on 57 minutes by Reece Mitchell, and the sub was quickly into the action, denied one-on-one by Jorosen within moments of his introduction.
    To their credit Fulham improved in the second period, but never did they look likely to reduce the deficit, let alone find a way back into the game. Chelsea, unlike last week's opponents Liverpool, who had entered the break with a 3-0 lead against us, had stuck to the task well and not allowed the visitors an inch, marshalled well by Alex Davey and Ince at the back.
    Saville bent wide and sub Lamisha Musonda, on for Phillip, shot over as the minutes ticked away. Into the final 10, Jamal Blackman made his only save of note for Chelsea, palming away a shot struck from inside the area.
    Five minutes from time Baker should have found Saville in space bearing down on goal but his passing let him down, though nobody from Chelsea will be complaining after a job well done that sees a good run below first-team level continue.
    It sets the club up perfectly for the Youth Cup game at Colchester this weekend, while the Under-21s are next in action a week tonight when they travel to Middlesbrough.
    If the first team can be as dominant against our west London neighbours on Wednesday, we are in for a treat at Stamford Bridge.
    Chelsea (4-3-3): Jamal Blackman; Tika Musonda, Alex Davey, Rohan Ince, Adam Nditi (sub Sam Bangura 80); Billy Clifford, Nathan AKe, George Saville (c); Lewis Baker, Isam Feruz (sub Reece Mitchell 57), Adam Phillip (sub Lamisha Musonda 74) .
    Unused subs: Mitchell Beeney, James Ashton.

Don't sound like any injuries at least. Apparently 4 against 'boro last Saturday with the youth cup about to start would be great to have a run in that again so no more injuries is pleasing

Jozy Altidore anyone?

(from we aint got no history)

Many Chelsea fans seem to believe that there is only one option out there to fix our striker situation in the January window, but the Chelsea scouting staff still seem to be looking around. Sky Sports is reporting a new potential target that we've been watching...United States striker Jozy Altidore.

Altidore has had a realtively unsuccessful loan spell in England before, struggling at the age of 19 when he joined Hull City. He's been very impressive over the last two seasons for AZ Alkmaar though, and Earnest Stewart confirms that Chelsea scouts have been in attendance to watch the 23 year old this season:

"However, I won't say whether interest will increase during the winter break or at the end of the season. Jozy is developing fantastically, is a real target man for the team and translates that into goals."

"Something like that isn't missed abroad. Also this season scouts from big clubs like Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have visited AZ games."

Altidore would clearly not be as high profile a signing as Falcao, but he's still been a solid player that's been improving steadily over the past several years. He's got a good great set of physical tools, and he's the type of physically aggressive player that the club just doesn't have at the moment. He'd be an interesting option as a cheap backup, and he'd probably make it even more likely that American stations broadcast Chelsea games live.

The January window is still several weeks away, but being linked to more strikers is never a bad thing. After all, it's not that hard to upgrade Fernando Torres.

I suppose if cheap why not may be of interest across the pond. If going Dutch Bony seems the guy in form and we have a relationship his side as well.

Wouldnt Altidore and Lukaku be one and the same player, both big physical players who can play ball?

Be a bit counter productive for Lukaku if we were to bring in Altidore IMO.

I suppose the marketing bods may have a look and have an input. By that token I am surprised that we don't have any Asian players in or around the first team

• Advertisement

I've no problem having an American or Asian in the 1st team but only if they're going to add to the team and not just to sell shirts or TV rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Bony and Jozy are not good enough for us, besides we have a younger better target man in Lukaku. Let him have a go with us first before we sign a lesser simular type of striker.
    Besides if we are to go with the rumours that we are after Guardiola in the summer Guardiola is not a fan of target men and would not fit into Peps plans.

On another note i wonder will we ever see Marko Marin play for us?

To be honest we scout lots of players, doesnt mean we are going to bid for them!

what a day wrote: »
    Bony and Jozy are not good enough for us, besides we have a younger better target man in Lukaku. Let him have a go with us first before we sign a lesser simular type of striker.
    Besides if we are to go with the rumours that we are after Guardiola in the summer Guardiola is not a fan of target men and would not fit into Peps plans.

On another note i wonder will we ever see Marko Marin play for us?

Is Lukaku really a target man? Is it just becasue he is big?
    He has tried to distance himself from the Drogba comparisions

Is Lukaku really a target man? Is it just becasue he is big?
    He has tried to distance himself from the Drogba comparisions

He is a target man but to be fair to him he could be a complete striker as he uses his skill and speed more so than his size and strength. But because he can use both that would make him a target man in my book. As for his technical ability i would not say he is any better or quicker than the likes of Sturridge center forward wise.

Im not having a go at Lukaku before any one attacks me, im a big fan of his but i just worry if he will ever have a future with us. I could see him being another Di Santo TBH.

He is a target man but to be fair to him he could be a complete striker as he uses his skill and speed more so than his size and strength. But because he can use both that would make him a target man in my book. As for his technical ability i would not say he is any better or quicker than the likes of Sturridge center forward wise.

Im not having a go at Lukaku before any one attacks me, im a big fan of his but i just worry if he will ever have a future with us. I could see him being another Di Santo TBH.

I think the Di Santo comparissons are very wide from the mark.

Lukaku is a much better player then Di Santo, physically hes a better athlete and his footballing has done the talking with WBa in his performances so far.

Lukaku may not be ready next year but hes definetly going to lead the line for us in the near future.

Few reports linking us with Shane Long in January.

I think this rumour was done before though, no?

I think the Di Santo comparissons are very wide from the mark.

Lukaku is a much better player then Di Santo, physically hes a better athlete and his footballing has done the talking with WBa in his performances so far.

Lukaku may not be ready next year but hes definetly going to lead the line for us in the near future.

Im not comparing them ability wise, just their situation and not making it with us.
    Both were signed with a lot of promise and given little chance with club, loaned out and never returned. I do agree with Lukaku been the much better player though.

As for Shane Long iv been harping on for years about how we should drop Kean and play Doyle and Long up front but as for CFC buying him, no thanks. I think we should be setting the bar a little higher TBH.

€10 - 12Million isnt too much of a risk for us though, I suppose it is really down to the powers that be but I wouldnt see Long at Chelsea anytime soon I reckon.

• Advertisement

I think we would be better looking at Shurrle before even considering Long. Both simular type strikers. Andre Shurrle looks like a classy striker, reminds me of an in form Torres back in his hay day. Id love us to sign him if we can get him at a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I have no doubt in shane's ability and just think of what he could do with the likes of Mata and hazard behind him but as someone else here posted he doesn't have enought xfactor to be given a chance with us unfortunately whereas a superstar all be it possibly washed up like Tories gets all the time in the world.

I would have thought any linking of Long to us is just paper talk and lazy at that. He is a decent player but not for us I think.

The problem with Schurrle is he'd cost about double what Long costs.

Saying that I doubt we'll ever go for Long and its just scatter gun reporting coming up to January.

I agree Grumpy. Long is a good striker but we want the best in the world, a striker that will score at least 20 goals a season.

So lads is there many of you that still think Torres can make it with us even under Rafa?
    I honestly think he is gone in January if we can strike a deal for Falcao. If not in January he will definitly be gone come summer time.

I think if Roman manages to persuade Guardiola to coach the team he will have a massive war chest to play with and i could see us sigining a few forwards to keep us up there with the likes of Man Utd Man City Madrid and Barca.

In other news.

A good sign and hopefully a big step in the right direction eventually by Chelsea FC.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9704946/Chelsea-hold-private-talks-with-referee-Mark-Clattenburg-in-a-bid-to-resolve-damage-caused-by-racism-case.html

Bruce Buck, the Chelsea chairman is understood to have travelled to the National Football Centre at St George’s Park in Burton to speak to Clattenburg and 15 of his elite referee colleagues to repair the damage that was caused when the club made a formal complaint that the Gosforth official racially abused John Obi Mikel during a match with Manchester United last month by calling the midfielder “a monkey.”

Clattenburg strenuously denied the allegations, which were thrown out last week by the Football Association. He said he feared that the claims would wreck his career and left him with sleepless nights. Although he was encouraged by his colleagues to demand an apology and compensation, Clattenburg made it clear that he wished to make peace with Chelsea to allow him to return to officiating at the earliest opportunity.

Now it appears Chelsea want to move on from the damaging episode. The talks yesterday are understood to have gone so well that the prospect of Clattenurg officiating at a Chelsea match in the near future was also discussed.

• Advertisement

I agree Grumpy. Long is a good striker but we want the best in the world, a striker that will score at least 20 goals a season.

So lads is there many of you that still think Torres can make it with us even under Rafa?
    I honestly think he is gone in January if we can strike a deal for Falcao. If not in January he will definitly be gone come summer time.

I think if Roman manages to persuade Guardiola to coach the team he will have a massive war chest to play with and i could see us sigining a few forwards to keep us up there with the likes of Man Utd Man City Madrid and Barca.

Falcao wont leave in Janury, I'm willing to bank on it, Atletico are looking very good for a UCL place and he'll want to ensure it before any talks of leaving occurs and Atletico would be mad to even entertain an offer as hes firing them to that UCL place.

Falcao could easily be convinced to stay next year too if they finsih in the UCL places so i wouldnt say hes a nailed on certainty at any rate.

Also, the best strikers in the world are scoring 40 + goals a season :pac:

Falcao wont leave in Janury, I'm willing to bank on it, Atletico are looking very good for a UCL place and he'll want to ensure it before any talks of leaving occurs and Atletico would be mad to even entertain an offer as hes firing them to that UCL place.

Falcao could easily be convinced to stay next year too if they finsih in the UCL places so i wouldnt say hes a nailed on certainty at any rate.

Also, the best strikers in the world are scoring 40 + goals a season :pac:

The only reason Athletico will entertain selling Falcao is purely financial reasons. If they make CL then they hit the money and can hold on to Falcao.

BUT.... if they hold on to Falcao and dont make the CL we have the advantage of getting him cheaper in the summer as Atletico are struggling finacially and will have to off load him eitherway. If we offer the right cash plus Torres Atletico get their son back plus money to save them financially while still having the chance to make a CL spot with Torres.

Oh and we need a striker that can score "AT LEAST" 20 goals a season but id be even happier with one that can score 40 : - ) and that definitly not Torres!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Has any link with Fellini dried up?

Could start again given that Everton have gone off the boil slightly in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Again, any bid woud have to be in the £25 Million price range I imagine.

It is good to see sense prevailing in this case. Anyone with any sense would have had some feeling for the position Chelsea were in. Off the back of the JT AF affair comes an allegation by one of their players against an official of racial abuse. I am sure Bruce and the boys wanted that like a hole in the head but what could they do it had to be reported.
    Having reported it there was no way it was going to be kept quiet until and investigation took place so it had to be in the open. Calling for Chelsea to make an open apology is also just getting up on us. An issue was reported to them they took the only steps they could under the circumstances what exactly have they to apologise for, following the law as they see it?

If as been reported Clattenberg wants a line drawn in the sand well that is good news. He knows as well as anyone he had an awful day at the office that day, but by God we all have them just not so many people see my mistakes at least (though the winning goal was the linesmans fault). The last few weeks must have been truly miserable for him but there really is no point in extending it all now. Hopefully when he does return to ref at the Bridge he wont get bird for what happened.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement