Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone else think that Benitez has been brought in to do one job - clear the decks for the next manager? He's a man that is never going to be accepted by a sizeable group of the Chelsea supporters and no matter what he does, will be gone in the summer. So who better to ship out the likes of Terry, Lampard and Cole, who Abramovich may well view as having far too big an influence off the pitch and in the dressing room.

That way the next manager comes in with a clean slate and doesn't have to fight the same dressing room battles that ended AVB's reign so suddenly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Anyone else think that Benitez has been brought in to do one job - clear the decks for the next manager? He's a man that is never going to be accepted by a sizeable group of the Chelsea supporters and no matter what he does, will be gone in the summer. So who better to ship out the likes of Terry, Lampard and Cole, who Abramovich may well views as having far too big an influence off the pitch and in the dressing.

That way the next manager comes in with a clean slate and doesn't have to fight the same dressing room battles that ended AVB's reign so suddenly.

Interesting take on it actually.

Never thought of it that way, I still dont know why Cole is been left go, the guy is still one of the best FB's around.

If Roman was worried about the dressing room battles costing managers jobs or managers giving up power to the dressing room then he should have sacked JT after the racism case, that would have sorted the main offender out, although that would have provided RDM wtih a huge head ache at the time.

I dont mind Benitez I'm just unsure where or who we go to next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Former Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo's hopes of taking the Valencia job have been dashed, with the Spanish side set to confirm Ernesto Valverde as their new boss.

The Italian has been out of work for less than a fortnight after being sacked by Roman Abramovich just six months after guiding the side to victory in the Champions League.

And he was thought to be a front-runner for the Valencia job, with speculation growing through the weekend that he was set to succeed Mauricio Pellegrino.

But Valencia have decided to appoint former Athletic Bilbao, Espanyol and Olympiakos coach Valverde.

And the 48-year-old will be unveiled to the media at 8.45pm local time, ending Di Matteo's hopes of an instant return to work.

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/121203/former-chelsea-manager-roberto-di-matteo-misses-out-valencia-job-186722#ixzz2E0TlrZtq
    Follow us: @talksport on Twitter
    Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/121203/former-chelsea-manager-roberto-di-matteo-misses-out-valencia-job-186722#BPF567rvZp4F8b3o.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Former Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo's hopes of taking the Valencia job have been dashed, with the Spanish side set to confirm Ernesto Valverde as their new boss.
    The RDM link turned out to be a rumour started out by two 18 and 19 year old students in Valencia. Just goes to show how stuff spreads on twitter! :rolleyes:

blue-army wrote: »
    The RDM link turned out to be a rumour started out by two 18 and 19 year old students in Valencia. Just goes to show how stuff spreads on twitter! :rolleyes:

Really?
    cos I just read that Mourinho takes over in Jan, and his first signings are Cavani, Falco, Fellani and Hummels :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Mourinho documentary on ITV4 now

ssaye wrote: »

Missed it, damn you FM13. :(

What do we reckon our chances of going through tomorrow night are?

Shakhtar v Juventus is something like 5/6 for a draw and TBF thats the way I see that match ending. :(

Dont know if its been posted but the squad to travel for the World Club Cup is as follows :
    Goalkeepers: Petr Cech, Ross Turnbull, Hilario

Defenders: Branislav Ivanovic, Ashley Cole, David Luiz, Paulo Ferreira, Gary Cahill, John Terry, Cesar Azpilicueta, Ryan Bertrand

Midfielders: Oriol Romeu, Ramires, Frank Lampard, Oscar, John Obi Mikel, Eden Hazard, Marko Marin, Lucas Piazon

Forwards: Fernando Torres, Juan Mata, Victor Moses, Daniel Sturridge

Rafa leaving Lukaku on loan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2242702/Why-doesnt-Rafa-Benitez-want-Romelu-Lukaku-Chelsea.html
    Rafa Benitez will not recall Romelu Lukaku from West Brom in January - despite Chelsea's striker crisis.
    But Chelsea's interim boss Benitez said: 'We know Romelu has been doing very well for West Brom.
    'But it's maybe best for him to stay there where he is playing games for now, as it will be better for his future development.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Really?
    cos I just read that Mourinho takes over in Jan, and his first signings are Cavani, Falco, Fellani and Hummels :D

That's weird because I just read on Twitter that some Kess Kessler guy is getting the job in January and he wants to bring in Carlton Cole, Joe Cole, Stewart Downing, and Andy Carroll.

I also read that he will be willing to sell or swap Mata, Hazard, Ramirez, and Lukaku to get the players he wants at CFC. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Kess73 wrote: »
    That's weird because I just read on Twitter that some Kess Kessler guy is getting the job in January and he wants to bring in Carlton Cole, Joe Cole, Stewart Downing, and Andy Carroll.

I also read that he will be willing to sell or swap Mata, Hazard, Ramirez, and Lukaku to get the players he wants at CFC. :p

<Grammar Nazi>
    Is that the guy from Southampton? :pac:
    </Grammar Nazi>

TBH I'd welcome Carlton Cole and Carroll now, be a different dimension and who doesnt love super Joey Cole.

:cool:
    Phoenix wrote: »
    does that mean we are deffo buying in january

I'd say so but it will be for someone on small money with low risk before we bring back Lukaku and maybe another option in the summer.

I'd say we'll spend big on a CF in the summer but I'm still holding out for Huntelaar in January.

Pirlo said " Juventus wont be going out to draw the Shakhtar game and want to win it "

Also mentions how close he was to joining when Carlo was manager. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Shakthar away will be a tough game for Juve, but I reckon they'll be more fired up for it so will get at least a draw out of it.

On a side note, I met Florent Malouda yesterday, I asked him when he was leaving and he just said next year, don't no whether he means Jan or end of the season. was a great player for us when he was in form.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Shakthar away will be a tough game for Juve, but I reckon they'll be more fired up for it so will get at least a draw out of it.

On a side note, I met Florent Malouda yesterday, I asked him when he was leaving and he just said next year, don't no whether he means Jan or end of the season. was a great player for us when he was in form.

Where dya meet him? Out and about in London?

His contract is up at the end of the season so I'd assume thats what he meant.

Agreed, he was a fine player for 2 seasons.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Where dya meet him? Out and about in London?

His contract is up at the end of the season so I'd assume thats what he meant.

Agreed, he was a fine player for 2 seasons.

No he was in Dublin, I met him outside the Hilton hotel, I seen it on twitter that he was at the Chris Brown concert, must be great to be getting paid to do nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

<Grammar Nazi>
    Is that the guy from Southampton? :pac:
    </Grammar Nazi>

TBH I'd welcome Carlton Cole and Carroll now, be a different dimension and who doesnt love super Joey Cole.

:cool:

I'd say so but it will be for someone on small money with low risk before we bring back Lukaku and maybe another option in the summer.

I'd say we'll spend big on a CF in the summer but I'm still holding out for Huntelaar in January.

Pirlo said " Juventus wont be going out to draw the Shakhtar game and want to win it "

Also mentions how close he was to joining when Carlo was manager. :(

Oh you want to play the grammer nazi card eh? Consider the fuse lit. :mad::pac:

I can see the logic in Lukaku staying out on loan, but I think if I were a Chelsea supporter I would prefer to see him brought back. He offers a lot of what is missing in your front line right now, and he does work well with clever players.

With him in the team you would have a front man who could be used as part of an attack that liked to use mobility and game smarts as it's main asset, or he could play in a more direct system should the need arise.

He has the pace and strength to bother powerful slow centre backs, but has the pace and technical ability to bother mobile quick centre backs.

Personally I think he would thrive in the current Chelsea attack and could go on to become the player that negates the need to bring in a big name striker in the summer(assuming Chelsea don't try for one in Janaury)

No he was in Dublin, I met him outside the Hilton hotel, I seen it on twitter that he was at the Chris Brown concert, must be great to be getting paid to do nothing

You were stalking him so is what you're saying? :p

Happy out, early flight back to London for training, nobody is none the wiser.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Oh you want to play the grammer nazi card eh? Consider the fuse lit. :mad::pac:

I can see the logic in Lukaku staying out on loan, but I think if I were a Chelsea supporter I would prefer to see him brought back. He offers a lot of what is missing in your front line right now, and he does work well with clever players.

With him in the team you would have a front man who could be used as part of an attack that liked to use mobility and game smarts as it's main asset, or he could play in a more direct system should the need arise.

He has the pace and strength to bother powerful slow centre backs, but has the pace and technical ability to bother mobile quick centre backs.

Personally I think he would thrive in the current Chelsea attack and could go on to become the player that negates the need to bring in a big name striker in the summer(assuming Chelsea don't try for one in Janaury)

I'll have to proof read every post from now on. :cool:

100% agree with ya Kess., he can be the complete CF for us if hes given the chance. I think he will in the future and as you pointed out bringing in a Falcao or similar could stunt him as he'll only be 2nd/3rd/4th choice striker if it happens.

Hes scored 5 goals so far for WBa, nothing special but hes still scoring, the guy is only 19 aswell and physically as 19 year olds go hes way ahead of anyone his age, he could bully and bruise CB's aswell as power past them.

That's why I'd hope we go for a Huntelaar who would be a good stop gap and rotation option for 2/3 years rather then a Falcao who would be expecting to lead the line no matter how poor his form is.

By all accounts I'd imagine Lukaku would rather stay on loan as hes getting more minutes then we can guarntee him and Clarke is managing him well I think, i just hope he gets a chance once hes back with us, same goes for Courtois.

great news - Torres is staying! :eek:

Fernando Torres has insisted that he wants to see out the rest of his contract and is looking to win more trophies at Chelsea.
    The 28-year-old forward has struggled to score regularly for the Blues since making his record £50million move from Liverpool in January 2011.
    There have been suggestions that Chelsea could look to offload the Spain international striker at the end of the season even if it be for a loss.
    However, Torres is determined to carry on playing for the reigning European champions and believes that so far he has been a success at Stamford Bridge.
    "I knew that one of the main reasons to come to Chelsea was that Chelsea are always aiming for trophies," he told FIFA.com.
    "I needed to win trophies because they are what you have after you have finished. In my first full season we won the FA Cup and Champions League, what more can you ask?
    "I have four more years on my contract, hopefully in these four years I can win many more things than the Champions League and FA Cup, starting with the Club World Cup."
    Fernando Torres Quotes of the week
    "We have a chance now to win the Club World Cup. I have four more years on my contract, hopefully in these four years I can win many more things than the Champions League and FA Cup, starting with the Club World Cup."
    Chelsea signed a number of attacking players in the summer including Oscar and Eden Hazard, and Torres believes that it will take some time for the team to gel.
    "We have been very good defensively this season," he explained. "But in the middle we have huge quality and those kinds of players have to be the key for us because we need to play for them and the strikers need to understand what they like to do to score more goals.
    "It's just a matter of time and training and being sure that we understand each other. With [Juan] Mata I have been playing for many years in the national team and last season at Chelsea.
    "But Oscar and Eden have just arrived and we need to train more to improve."

• Advertisement

Would you leave if you were on his wages? :p

Happy days, 4 more years of Torres = success. :D

I know its been mentioned before but what do we think about Pato?

With El Shaarway's great start to this season, if he can keep it up then Milan could cut more costs and off-load Pato and I reckon he has it all to be star in the EPL.

I know its been mentioned before but what do we think about Pato?

With El Shaarway's great start to this season, if he can keep it up then Milan could cut more costs and off-load Pato and I reckon he has it all to be star in the EPL.
    I'm definitely a big fan of his, the only concern I would have would be his fitness, he always seems to be picking up injuries.

I'm definitely a big fan of his, the only concern I would have would be his fitness, he always seems to be picking up injuries.

I know we were meant to be in for him a few years ago for €40Million but I reckon we'd get him for about 25-30% less then that now given his last 18 months of injuries.

Although as Kess pointed out that could stunt Lukaku's development also if we bring in a big name CF.

I can see Roman bringing in a biig name CF regardless of what Lukaku does but I'd hate to lose Lukaku next year again for a loan or worse, you can only go on loan so much without getting fed up with the club and Lukaku last year was vocal about his lack of chances in the 1st team so a stint in WBA first team and some games can only have fueled his hunger to play games when hes back.

I know we were meant to be in for him a few years ago for €40Million but I reckon we'd get him for about 25-30% less then that now given his last 18 months of injuries.

Although as Kess pointed out that could stunt Lukaku's development also if we bring in a big name CF.

I can see Roman bringing in a biig name CF regardless of what Lukaku does but I'd hate to lose Lukaku next year again for a loan or worse, you can only go on loan so much without getting fed up with the club and Lukaku last year was vocal about his lack of chances in the 1st team so a stint in WBA first team and some games can only have fueled his hunger to play games when hes back.

I cant see Lukaku being our main striker no matter how good he does at WBA for the rest of the season, we need someone more experienced IMO.

I really think its crucial that we bring in another striker in Jan, its cost us too many points already by playing an out of form Torres.

I cant see Lukaku being our main striker no matter how good he does at WBA for the rest of the season, we need someone more experienced IMO.

I really think its crucial that we bring in another striker in Jan, its cost us too many points already by playing an out of form Torres.

I'm all for leaving Lukaku out on loan to WBA but bringing in another big namecould tempt him to feck off, he came out last year complaining about game time but that was behind Drogba, Torres, Sturridge arguably when he comes back he'll only have Torres and a potential Janaury signing to fight with for places, I hope we go after Huntelaar, he should tie us over until Roman either spends again or we trust Lukaku once hes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

The Wallace deal is officially official.....
    Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce we have agreed terms with Fluminense for the transfer of Wallace in the January window.

As part of the deal, the 18-year-old defender will remain with Fluminense until the end of the season.

An attacking right-back, Wallace Oliveira dos Santos was born on May 1, 1994, and made his senior debut this year at the age of 17.

He has since gone on to appear 18 times in the league for the first team, helping them to the Brazilian league championship, the Rio State League and the Guanabara Cup.

Wallace, an Under-20 international, was part of the Brazil squad that won the South American Under-17 championship last year, and helped his country to a fourth-placed finish at the World Cup in Mexico at the same level, playing alongside Lucas Piazon.

Fluminense is the club that both Deco and Juliano Belletti left Chelsea for in the summer of 2010.

SOURCE (CFC site)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

In fairness I'd need to be paid to go see Chris Brown!

So we're signing loads of Brazilians and loads of Belgians recently. :pac:

Seen it Twitter the deal is for around £5 million.

In all fairness to the lads some of Europe's big teams were meant to be looking at him so he must have potential. He'll probably be loaned out though when he joins next year as I've been impressed with Azpilicueta so it would be surprising to bring in a replacement RB straight away unless he performs out of this world once he meets up with the squad.

So we're signing loads of Brazilians and loads of Belgians recently. :pac:

Seen it Twitter the deal is for around £5 million.

In all fairness to the lads some of Europe's big teams were meant to be looking at him so he must have potential. He'll probably be loaned out though when he joins next year as I've been impressed with Azpilicueta so it would be surprising to bring in a replacement RB straight away unless he performs out of this world once he meets up with the squad.

Azpilicueta has looked really good so far, I was very impressed with him against West Ham, looking forward to seeing how he gets on over the course of the season.

Hopefully Gourlay is working on Jan signings too and not just signing kids for the future, its a good idea to be buying young talent but its plain for everyone to see that the squad is way too small.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

CarloFan Liverpool are reportedly close to finalising a £12m deal for Daniel Sturridge. (Daily Mail) #CFC

Pity really, showed great promise at Bolton, but even more infuriating than Kalou in my opinion. Has the talent, but completely brain dead.

CarloFan Liverpool are reportedly close to finalising a £12m deal for Daniel Sturridge. (Daily Mail) #CFC

Pity really, showed great promise at Bolton, but even more infuriating than Kalou in my opinion. Has the talent, but completely brain dead.

hasnt had a chance this season, love to see him for 2 or 3 games instead of Torres.
    If he does go, I hope we get 2 replacments in, cos it woul dbe just like us to get one in and then he gets injured, so Torres plays al the time again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Hope Torres goes, an absolutely woeful player who's never produced the goods for us when it's mattered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Mad to think if Juve win it will go to point (E) above before the 2nd place is decided , in which we lose :(

3e473e2d3272169f7c06a3edde8a6d5f.png?1354664774

ssaye wrote: »

lads, anyone know anywhere online where I can watch this?

Cheers. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

blue-army wrote: »

lads, anyone know anywhere online where I can watch this?

Cheers. :cool:
    ITV player :)

amiable wrote: »
    ITV player :)
    UK only. Can't find a working proxy :/

For that price I'd gift wrap him and send him on his way, that would be a ridicolous amount to receive for Sturridge giving his contract is up in the summer.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

I taught you were right GAV about Sturridges contract but i read some were yesterday its untill the summer of 2014?
    Im a fan of Sturridge but seems like a decent fee for him and i dont think he will want to stay with us after his lack of games and a poor Torres in front of him. Shame really i think if he is played regular he will be a brilliant attacking option for any team.

We have such a big squad at the moment but a lot of players wasted on our books. Hopefully we can ship a few out in January and the summer. We should look a lot fresher and younger next season once the likes of DeBruyne Lukaku and Courtios returns although id not be suprized if Courtios was loaned out again.

Come on Shaktar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenix wrote: »
    Wheres the crests gav and the glitter and sparkle :pac:

Pffft, no need for them taking up bandwidth. :p

what a day wrote: »
    I taught you were right GAV about Sturridges contract but i read some were yesterday its untill the summer of 2014?
    Im a fan of Sturridge but seems like a decent fee for him and i dont think he will want to stay with us after his lack of games and a poor Torres in front of him. Shame really i think if he is played regular he will be a brilliant attacking option for any team.

We have such a big squad at the moment but a lot of players wasted on our books. Hopefully we can ship a few out in January and the summer. We should look a lot fresher and younger next season once the likes of DeBruyne Lukaku and Courtios returns although id not be suprized if Courtios was loaned out again.

Come on Shaktar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It could be 2014, I just thought it was a 4 year deal signed in 2009 which would bring him up to the summer of 2013, unless he signed a year extension for more money but I cant seem to find anything on it.

If we got £12 Million for him I'd still sell him IMO, by all accounts we'll probably go big in the summer with someone better then Sturridge so sell him now while we can and bring in big in the summer and have Torres, Lukaku and new guy.

I've no problem with courtois going on 1 more loan but that would be it, it was mentioned he was been sounded out for an EPL team so he'd get a year in England before joining us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Yeah id take the money for Sturridge too, i dont think he has a future with us at all. Id imagine we will look to replace him with Rodriguze off Porto as he is a better wide player then Danny. Id like to get Walcott on the cheap if we could but i read he wants crazy money like 100k pw !!!

If we are to hold on to Torres this season we will have to look to some one else to bring in as back up and id be all for a cheaper player to play second fiddle is possible some one like Ba/Huntelaar. We will definitly be buying a striker in January i reckon, we are really poor in front of goal. Its almost like playing with 10 men every game and expecting our midfielders to come up with the goals. We need a clinicle finisher, some one who can make space for him self and score but also link up with play and pass it about.

I'm surprised we never tried a 4-2-2-2 formation, would utilise both strikers.

Cech

Ivan
    Luiz
    JT----Cole

Mikel----Ramires

Mata
    Hazard

----Sturridge
    Torres----

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

They can keep him TBH.

Not sure if anything came of our interest but if he wants to go to Italy let him.

That article is a bit weird though, it says he has a problem with the manager but doesnt go into specifics then goes on to say he was taken off on the 80th minute, which is hardly harsh, 1-0 up away to Milan and in control of the game so he hardly has a problem with that does he?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Yea would agree no real need for him. There may be something in the article in that it is carried by a lot of papers but also it appears the fans have not taken to Hulk mainly due to the reaction of Denisov as he is a bit of a local hero apparently.

Nice to know we are not the only side in a bit of turmoil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

That article is a bit weird though, it says he has a problem with the manager but doesnt go into specifics then goes on to say he was taken off on the 80th minute, which is hardly harsh, 1-0 up away to Milan and in control of the game so he hardly has a problem with that does he?

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I was following the commentary of that match on eurosport app (damn AC Milan ruining my accumulator!) and it mentioned that he wasn't happy when he was substituted and made a few "I've had enough" gestures

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement