Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

GavRedKing wrote: »
    What's the other quarter final match?

Swans against Boro in Welsh Wales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Swans against Boro in Welsh Wales

Villa
    Bradford
    Swansea/M'Boro
    Leeds/Chelsea

Great chance for some silverware, hope it isnt our only silverware but we've to get through a tricky away game with Leeds.

The teams left will know that Arsenal going out only leaves us as their main threat and any of the teams will fancy making it to the final now.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

BBC HD apparently.

Gonna record it and watch after work.

Is it on anywhere else I can't get HD channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

Never mind I see its on the Red Button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

The highlights are on either bbc 1 or 2 after the game.
    Other ways to watch it from your computer i guess

RTE has that Luiz happy to play in the midfield for Chelsea or anywhere.
    Would like to see him play their for the 2 games.
    If he does well there Chelsea could buy a new center back instead of a holding midfielder.

Never mind I see its on the Red Button

Was just coming to mention it. :D
    Tubbs4 wrote: »
    RTE has that Luiz happy to play in the midfield for Chelsea or anywhere.
    Would like to see him play their for the 2 games.
    If he does well there Chelsea could buy a new center back instead of a holding midfielder.

There isnt a great selection of CB's available at the moment, unless we throw about €25-30 Million on Hummles.

The money in January should be spent on a CF as back up and either bring back Josh and save the money for a really top class CM in the summer or spend big on a CM in January but again, options wouldnt be to cheap in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

David Luiz interview, it's a good read.

DAVID LUIZ wants to lead Chelsea out of their darkest hours.

Racism, sacking the manager, disaster in Europe and stuttering league form at home have overshadowed what should have been a year of celebration at Stamford Bridge.

And with the squad in a period of transformation as some of the old stalwarts finally succumb to age, the Brazilian defender is emerging as a leader for Blues’ new generation.

Luiz, 25, has a big heart to go with his curly hair and believes he can ultimately take over as captain from defensive partner John Terry.

He said: “At a big club when you have bad moments, you need to be strong.

“I was captain at Benfica at 21. I know my personality is to be a natural leader.

“So I know now that with the team’s leaders of many, many years out of the side, I need to take responsibility and try to help young players like Eden Hazard.

He is a great talent and an amazing player but he is someone who needs support.

“He’s only just arrived in the Premier League — like Oscar and others. Some are more shy, like Ramires. So I need to take that responsibility.

“I don’t have a problem with that in bad moments. I always say my shoulders are broad and I can take that extra responsibility. I love it, I want it.

“I prefer to help the other guys, who can go and play with their heads clear and calm.

“I know my personality and I know what it’s taken to get me here at Chelsea.

“One day, when I have kids, I’ll tell them, even when their life is not easy, they can still do anything they want. That is the way to approach things.”

Strong words from a strong guy who has recently been pinpointed as part of Chelsea’s problems on the pitch for his haphazard defending and lapses in concentration.

Interim boss Rafa Benitez has told his coaches to sharpen up the back four while training here for Blues’ Club World Cup bid which kicks off against Mexicans Monterrey tomorrow.

Skipper Terry has been out since damaging knee ligaments against Liverpool last month and is not with the squad in Japan.

Chelsea have conceded five goals in Benitez’s first five games — compared to nine in the last five games under Roberto Di Matteo’s before he got the boot.

Luiz added: “No one likes criticism. It’s natural, it gets to you and you don’t like it.

“You can have moments where you’re down but you can’t let them last long.

“I can be sad for one or two hours but the rest of the day I need to be happy because the team needs me to be positive. My brain needs it, I need it.

“I’m a positive person. In the end, I know all the difficulties in your life you can change. When criticism came two or three months ago, it wasn’t a problem because I knew I was working hard and I could lay my head on my pillow at night knowing I’m trying my best.

“If the results don’t come now, they’ll come in the future. Like now.

“In the last four games I’ve played really well, at the top level and with confidence. I need to continue this work and mentality.”

Chelsea will face Luiz’s boyhood heroes Corinthians should both clubs win their semi-finals. The South American champions play Egyptians Al-Ahly today.

Luiz said: “This competition comes at a great moment for us.

“We are out of the Champions League, so there is disappointment.

“But this is another competition and it gives us a chance to change the feeling we had last week.

“It gives us a chance to be happy and win a big competition and make us all feel happy again.

“It’s a title Chelsea have never won, so we want to win it because it would be good for us for the rest of the season.

“I was a Corinthians fan now I’m a Chelsea fan! When I was young my idol was Kaka, even though I was a Corinthians fan.

“I started to play for Sao Paulo, not Corinthians, and Kaka was always my idol because he was not just a good player but also a good person as well.

“I saw a lot of Corinthians games but now I am a professional, a Chelsea player, so I know what I have to do.

“But the game against Corinthians is just a possibility. We have to win the semi-final first.

“But if we do play Corinthians then I can talk about them to the rest of the team for half an hour or more.

“I just hope Chelsea win the competition — that is my focus, my objective.”

Currently half time in the semi final of the CWC, Corinthians 1-0 Al Ahly

Not sure about our oppenents tomorrow but after watching the first half of that game we really should be winning this competition.

• Advertisement

Hes certainly a confident young lad is Luiz.

If he can get his concsistency up he could be one of the best CB's in Europe, he has all the technical & physical ability to be an excellent CB but if he can play more of the game with his head then he'd be our best defender since Carvalho.

If he can get his concsistency up he could be one of the best CB's in Europe, he has all the technical & physical ability to be an excellent CB but if he can play more of the game with his head then he'd be our best defender since Carvalho.

In his last couple of games under Benitez he has looked way more composed, I also think that zonal marking suits his play.

It will be interesting to see who will get the captains armband next, obviously its between Cech, Lamps & Terry atm, but I can't see them being around much longer.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    In his last couple of games under Benitez he has looked way more composed, I also think that zonal marking suits his play.

It will be interesting to see who will get the captains armband next, obviously its between Cech, Lamps & Terry atm, but I can't see them being around much longer.

I'd say at the moment its between Luiz and Cahill for whos 4th choice behind the 3 you've mentioned.

I've always felt captains are nothing more then a symbol. Players that are naturally vocal suit captaincy better but at most clubs you'll have a few players on the pitch that could be captain easily but I do also think one individual is always that bit better at leaduing then the rest and stands out from the crowd.

I'd say at the moment its between Luiz and Cahill for whos 4th choice behind the 3 you've mentioned.

I've always felt captains are nothing more then a symbol. Players that are naturally vocal suit captaincy better but at most clubs you'll have a few players on the pitch that could be captain easily but I do also think one individual is always that bit better at leaduing then the rest and stands out from the crowd.

Well a captains responsibility is also looking after new lads that are coming in, someone who players can approach if there's a problem etc, I think Luiz would be well suited to the role, he seems like like he the most liked player on the team too.

IMO a captain should be one of the CB's, they get to see everything thats going on on front of them, so Cahill or Luiz next would also be my choice.

Corinthians into the final with a 1-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Phoenix wrote: »
    How did they play overall?
    `
    I only watched the 1st half, I didnt bother watching it all as it was utter crap tbh, I would be very confident of Chelsea winning this competition if we make it to the final.

We should be aiming to win everything we can, winning it will be only a good thing for Rafa and support for him as if he comes back without the trophy some sections will be on his back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

What about Ashley Cole? He'd surely be in there before them?

What about Ashley Cole? He'd surely be in there before them?

Well if Ashley is even around next season, he'll still have Cech at least in front of him, long term replacement would be one of the younger players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

He really wouldn't. The fact he plays the game without his head is a huge flaw. I'd rather he played with his head than had 'technical' ability.

• Advertisement

EdenHazard wrote: »
    He really wouldn't. The fact he plays the game without his head is a huge flaw. I'd rather he played with his head than had 'technical' ability.

I'd have to disagree with you on that, you can have all the focus you want but if you dont have the ability its no use to you.

He can learn more by playing.

EdenHazard wrote: »

Not really, for every one rash decision he makes in a game there numerous times when he does the right thing.

For instance, JT, regarded by many as the best English CB of his generation is often found out of position or wrong side of attackers, he gets away with it in the media & fans because, a) hes English b) see point a.

One defender I thought we'd regret selling was Huth a few years ago, guy had a decent football brain but apart from been about 6ft 3, he wasnt a good athlete and lacked the ability to make it at the top level.

I'd much rather a CB who had more ability in his physical and technical attributes and learned the game then a guy who had good understanding of the game but was slower then a wet week, ideally you'd have a 2 CB's, one that could play ball and one who could defend.

That brings me to my preferred Chelsea CB pairing, Cahill/Luiz. Cahill can do a bit of everything, he has a touch of JT's lionheart, throw your body on the line, win at all costs attitude and has a good level of football and with Luiz you know what your getting, they complement each other fairly well but I wouldnt mind a better out and out defender then Cahill but as I said unless it invovles someone like Hummels and a big transfer we wont be getting it anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

rafa is teasing

Chelsea manager Rafael Benitez has hinted that new reinforcements could be arriving to Stamford Bridge in the January transfer window.
    Speaking ahead of Thursday’s Club World Cup semi-final against Monterrey, the interim manager cryptically said;
    “The club is working and always looking for good players, so we’ll see if there are any surprises.”

rafa is teasing

Chelsea manager Rafael Benitez has hinted that new reinforcements could be arriving to Stamford Bridge in the January transfer window.
    Speaking ahead of Thursday’s Club World Cup semi-final against Monterrey, the interim manager cryptically said;
    “The club is working and always looking for good players, so we’ll see if there are any surprises.”

Latest one I heard on twitter is Tiote although he only signed like a 6 year deal last year and they'ed expect silly money for him I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

rafa is teasing

Neymar : - )

No but seriously i dont think we are in massive need for cover in CM unless we offload Lamps. We still have Lampard, Ramires, Oscar and Luiz can play there too but if we can sign some one that is better then the above players in that role id agree with splashing out.

I know i keep harping on about Guardiola but if Roman thinks we have a chance at getting him surely we wont be buying another defensive midfielder. Pep is know for playing one pivot player not two and we already have Mikel Oriol Ramires Oscar all capable of that role plus McEachran is on loan and im sure we will look to release Essien/Lampard in the summer.

I think our main focus is on a striker and i cant see us signing many players other than a striker untill we sort out our manager first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

What type of team do you expect for tomorrow morning lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

ConorCBS wrote: »

Strong as possible Roman really wants to win this and Rafa will want a trophy to win over the fans.Although I read somewhere that Mata may be rested.Even so,Chelsea should be winning this game with some comfort.

For betting purposes I'd be lumping on Chelsea here.

We'll be playing a strong team that should beat th Mexican side.

I'd say it will be :

Cech
    Azp Cahill Ivan Bertrand
    Lamps Mikel
    Moses Oscar Marin
    Torres

I reckon we'll put out or strongest team possible, try put the game to bed early and take a few of the main players off.

I'd go for this team.

-- Cech --

Azpi Cahill Luiz Cole

--Ramires Mikel --

Moses - Mata - Hazard

--Torres--

For betting purposes I'd be lumping on Chelsea here.

That's why I asked. I've €100 on Chelsea. :pac:

Cheers lads!

• Advertisement

That's why I asked. I've €100 on Chelsea. :pac:

Cheers lads!

I wish you happy betting, I'd be really surprised if that bet wasnt all but secured by at least 60 mins.

Just seen on Sky sports news that Benitez said the squad were having trouble sleeping. Hopefully that doesn't show in their performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Silly season among us

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/guardiola-ready-to-snub-chelsea-for-arsenal?

Now he may well be put off with the merry go round that is Chelsea but cant see Arsenal at all.

Silly season among us

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/guardiola-ready-to-snub-chelsea-for-arsenal?

Now he may well be put off with the merry go round that is Chelsea but cant see Arsenal at all.

If it does com true it shows his ambition IMo and its not all about the wonga with him.

He certainly get the backing of the board and fans over at the Emirates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

If it does com true it shows his ambition IMo and its not all about the wonga with him.

He certainly get the backing of the board and fans over at the Emirates.

Hardly ambitious to join a club that's happy to sell its best players as soon as they become moderately good (and sell to rivals, man city, man utd). That's hardly the sign of an ambitious manager IMO.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Hardly ambitious to join a club that's happy to sell its best players as soon as they become moderately good (and sell to rivals, man city, man utd). That's hardly the sign of an ambitious manager IMO.

Ambitious as in the challenge to bring Arsenal to the next level and actually compete for major honours.

Ambitious as in the challenge to bring Arsenal to the next level and actually compete for major honours.

With the current arsenal board it's hard to see any manager competing with city or utd for the title.

MUSEIST wrote: »

I think thats exactly the sign of an ambitious manager.

Pep could walk into any managerial job n the world, somewhere like City, Chelsea, Utd, Bayern and everything is already done for him.

At a club like arsenal he could mould it into his vision, surely the Arsenal board will allow big money to be spent in the next 2-3 seasons anyway.

The stadium is paid for and with the regular UCL income they shouldn't fall foul of the incoming UEFA FFP rules.

Pep to arsenal isnt as far fetched as it sounds IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Silly season among us

I'd like him to replace Wenger, but cant see it happening. Wenger is contracted to 2014. He wont be sacked and I highly doubt he will walk, wouldnt be shocked if they part ways in the Summer but doubt it will happen. Pep wont wait around that long unless he takes an international job to kill time.

It would be a huge challenge for him as our board are very tight with money so he'd have to do like Wenger and sell to buy at the start anyway.

• Advertisement

If Rafa wins the league he get another contract with lose 3 games in 15 and your gone contract.
    Wait to see who wins the Champions league and they be in with a good shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

probably BS

Real Madrid, and specifically president Florentino Perez, are being increasingly linked with a move for Falcao from their city rivals Atletico. It's a situation which started off as being a bit unbelievable, Atletico are too proud to just give in to their bigger neighbours and have proven in the past that they won't sell a player to Real if they can help it.

Sergio Aguero was the latest example of this and his father in law Diego Maradona has said as much since. He implied last year that the forward signing for Manchester City was only meant to be a halfway-house move to facilitate the Real Madrid transfer, but to Maradona's stated annoyance and Roberto Mancini's relief, that hasn't happened yet.

Perez has been making diplomatic moves to build relationships with people at Atletico and it's something which has been working to a certain extent. Last week El Confidencial reported that Perez recently had dinner with Atletico representatives Miguel Angel Gil and Enrique Cerezo which was all part of the charm offensive.

The newspaper said that a personal agreement was already agreed between Falcao's representatives and Real Madrid but the whole thing depends on Perez sanctioning a move for the full buyout clause of €60m. Whilst Atletico may not try and use dirty tricks to stop Real Madrid if they meet the clause, they will certainly not want to sell him to them for a penny less. If Real Madrid start using the player to put pressure on his club that's when trouble could start and El Confidencial today suggest that Perez is gearing up for those tricks.

Real Madrid and Atletico players and officials were at the same charity dinner this week and Perez sat near to Falcao which has sparked up Spanish memories of when the president was at a similar event with Zidane and wrote on a napkin to ask him if he wanted to go to Real Madrid. The Frenchman replied positively and that gave the Spanish club the backing to go all out and get him, which they did after a difficult pursuit. Perez was caught on camera at the dinner this year joking about it and asked for a napkin.

Whilst jokes have been made, it's suggested that the reality may not be too far away. If Perez is given confidence that Falcao really wants and will push for a transfer then he'll pull all the stops out and try and get him for less than the buyout clause, ruining any new relationship between the clubs.

That's where Chelsea come in. El Confidencial say that to avoid such a scenario Atletico would rather sell the player to Chelsea for less than the clause, rather than risk it getting near to the level and Real Madrid taking Falcao after a public pursuit. If Perez used the usual tactic of friendly newspapers then Atletico would want to avoid any embarrassment and would be prepared to take a financial hit to avoid it.

It all depends on how keen Falcao is to join Real Madrid and that's exactly what Florentino Perez is trying to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Chelsea supposed to have Paulinho from Corinthians as a first-choice at 11million in January.

And Cheick Tiote if they fail to get Paulinho.

Anyone see Paulinho today? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Chelsea supposed to have Paulinho from Corinthians as a first-choice at 11million in January.

And Cheick Tiote if they fail to get Paulinho.

Anyone see Paulinho today? Any good?

****e,Corinthianss were ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

The players are reportedly having issues with the ball been used att eh World Club Cup, they've come out saying when they first used it, it felt heavier.

Excuses coming in already. :p

The reported probable team is said to be :

Cech
    Azp Cahill Luiz Cole
    Mikel Ramires
    Moses Mata Hazard
    Torres

Full strength, I cant really see Rafa sending out that team but I can see about 6 of those players starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Team v Monterrey: Cech (c); Azpili, Ivan, Cahill, Cole; D Luiz, Mik; Mata, Oscar, Hazard; Torres.

Luiz DM! Maybe more suited there than CB.

solarith wrote: »
    Team v Monterrey: Cech (c); Azpili, Ivan, Cahill, Cole; D Luiz, Mik; Mata, Oscar, Hazard; Torres.

luiz in midfield. brilliant:D

Thats one of the strongest teams we could have fielded. :eek:

Personally I would rather have Ramires in CM with Luiz but Mikel should allow Luiz do wahtever he wants in there.

The opponents arent the best so hoping for an easy game with no injuries and an easy win.

I;m going to say 3-0.

Be interesting to see if Rafa plays him there when we get back to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

solarith wrote: »

I'm absolutely loving that lineup. The trinity start with Luiz at DM, I'll have to take a look at this somehow.

Essien wrote: »
    I'm absolutely loving that lineup. The trinity start with Luiz at DM, I'll have to take a look at this somehow.

I f**king forgot to record it. :(

Bo**cks anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement