Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

kleefarr wrote: »
    Not a hope Falcao will want to come to us. :(

Theres rumours we are after the manager as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

You should never say never in football, why would Falcao join Chelsea? Well there $$$, then there's $$$$$. Either one of those reasons would be good enough for me to believe he might join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

the_monkey wrote: »

I'm a Chelsea fan.

I know how low I felt in 2008 when Terry slipped in Moscow,
    I know how low I felt in 2009 when Iniesta equalised at the bridge -

I also know how incredible it felt when Torres rounded Valdes and rolled the ball into the net to send us to Munich

Also I know how the best moment of my football supporting life felt when Drogba scored that penalty in Munich

If I'm not a real fan , I'd love to meet a real one , they must be hard f*cking Core!!!

So what if I'm a bit negative, it's how I vent when I get frustrated.

We all felt frustration today.

We were all there and I'm sure we all felt close to or the same as what you felt, yet none of us feel the need to dog the club with anything like the level of nonsense you come out with on a regular basis. I'll leave it there though, you've been doing it for years and you're hardly going to change now. The strange thing is you seem so reasonable and normal when you post in other forums.

Anyway, Falcao? I'd love to see him at Chelsea, though I can't help but get that horrible feeling that he'd suffer the same fate as some of our other big name strikers in the past.

I can't see it happening until the summer, if I was him I probably wouldn't join Chelsea in the middle of what's been a shakey season so far. If we were guaranteed CL football next season and we had a full time manager then it might be a bit more tempting. Then again there's always money, though tbh, I'd rather players who weren't joining ONLY for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

And you obviously like jumping to conclusions.

One bad game. You obviously have not been watching since our interim was installed, clueless absolutely clueless.

Its true we need another striker option (although you have to wonder if Danny is really injured?)
    But we also badly need a deep lying playmaker, someone to dictate the pace.
    I really hope our alleged interest in Pjanic is real.

Rafa got it badly wrong today. and Tite got it spot on. Everyone had a defensive role, even Guerrero, they closed us down, stopped the easy pass to Mata and co, played at their own slow pace that suited them.
    Lampard and Cahill were far too slow in possession.
    Tite even left out Douglas, he set out his team that negative!

For all our new creative players, if you dont control the midfield, we cant get the ball to them, and then they cant feed Torres or any striker we buy.

We havent had a decent link from defence to midfield since Makele.

Rafa was to slow in bring Oscar and Cesar on, who are very attacking and much quicker than Lamps and Ivan.

You could actually see Lamps, turning looking up and delaying the pass and then he got tackled and lost the ball, you could almost shout "behind you"

You could see at end, when we finally uppped the tempo, just how effective that was and shourld been played like that from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

bullpost wrote: »
    And you obviously like jumping to conclusions.

Actually quite an analytical person by profession. Thankfully nor am I deluded our interim manager is not up to the job, my God even Sam Allerdyce managed to tactically outwit him.

I am hoping when the flight touches down in London tomorrow he will have nothing more to do with my beloved club.

Phoenix wrote: »
    So would Falcao and Paulinhno sort us out?or are there more issues at hand here?

Falcao would I think score more goals than Torres, but until we get better quality or a "zavi" type player who can link midfield and dictate tempo, we will still be vunerable to a side that closes and slows us down, and stops the passes from reaching Mata and Co.
    We need a quick and direct midfield who can win the ball back and start the attacks

Matt Spiro ‏@mattspiro

Canal Plus tonight suggesting discussions between Chelsea and Lyon for Bafetimbi Gomis are at an advanced stage. Surprising to say the least

We aint got no history

I'm having trouble finding a primary source on this one, but the internet is abuzz with the rumour that Chelsea are looking at picking up Lyon centre forward Bafetimbi Gomis this January, and sent scouts to Lyon's match against Paris Saint-Germain at the Parc des Princes in order to evaluate him.

Now, if I were a Chelsea scout, I'd be trying to watch Zlatan Ibrahimovic whenever possible just for fun, so maybe getting to go to this game is just their collective Christmas present, but those watching Canal+ are relaying the message that this is fairly serious -- some are even claiming that negotiations are already at an 'advanced stage'.

So, that's the 'news'. What should we make of Gomis? First of all, he's not the young striker most Chelsea fans are pining for. Instead, he's a 27-year-old on an absolutely ridiculous run of form. We're used to seeing about fifteen goals a season from Gomis in France, but last year he hit 19 between Ligue 1 and the Champions League, and he's already at 10 in 16 domestic matches matches in the 2012/13 campaign. That's obviously quite good.

I like Gomis quite a bit. He's strong and good in the air, but a calm and composed finisher with the ball at his feet and makes very good use of space. Coming from Ligue 1, he's unlikely to command much of a transfer fee or particularly high wages. But I have to admit that I don't understand why Lyon would sell -- they're at the top of the league at the moment and losing Gomis in January might cost them a Champions League spot next season. As far as I know, his contract doesn't expire until the end of next season, so it's not like he has Lyon over a barrel there either.

If Chelsea are looking in Ligue 1 for a striker, I'd prefer Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang at St. Etienne. He's younger, with bags of potential, and his club don't have the same sort of negotiating position as Lyon do -- it's just something that makes more sense all-around. I won't be upset if the Gomis rumours come to fruition, because he's certainly good enough to start for us and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but for right now I'm feeling pretty dubious about this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I give up, Gomis? He's got the same problem as Torres, ridiculously inconsistent and unclinical in front of goal. Seriously this is far from the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Wouldnt be happy with Gomis either tbh, dont think hes good enough for Chelsea and where we aspire to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Man Utd fan here, but I've always been quite a fan of Torres. He's not consistent, but he seemingly has come into some run of form in the past few games. He's a kid that once his confidence is up his playing becomes more clinical.

if ye remember when he first came to Liverpool he was a total flop and indeed the same is fort Chelsea but I wouldn't discount him yet. He has added quite a few assists and seems a tad more comfortable on the wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

if ye remember when he first came to Liverpool he was a total flop and indeed the same is fort Chelsea but I wouldn't discount him yet. He has added quite a few assists and seems a tad more comfortable on the wing?

He scored 33 goals in his first season with Liverpool. He scored on his home debut for Liverpool as Chelsea fans will well know as it was against them. He was the complete opposite of a total flop and hit the ground running straight away.

Opr

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Man Utd fan here, but I've always been quite a fan of Torres. He's not consistent, but he seemingly has come into some run of form in the past few games. He's a kid that once his confidence is up his playing becomes more clinical.

What in the name of jesus are you ****ing talking about? 24 league goals and 33 in all comps. What are you shíteing on about? On the wing? When has he ever been on the wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I'm a Chelsea fan.

I know how low I felt in 2008 when Terry slipped in Moscow,
    I know how low I felt in 2009 when Iniesta equalised at the bridge -

I also know how incredible it felt when Torres rounded Valdes and rolled the ball into the net to send us to Munich

Also I know how the best moment of my football supporting life felt when Drogba scored that penalty in Munich

If I'm not a real fan , I'd love to meet a real one , they must be hard f*cking Core!!!

So what if I'm a bit negative, it's how I vent when I get frustrated.

We all felt frustration today.

A real fan supported them before 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

not if you're 12 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

terrible terrible performance yesterday. We were a negative team right from the start. We did not press high enough up the pitch. Rafa tactics were pants again for this game. We had no width and our attacks most of the game were very narrow. When we got the ball wide we had no one in the box may be Hazard or Mata with Torres crossing......terrible performance.

Why did we not start Luiz in Midfield? Azpilicueta would have gave us more width and Moses should have been pulled off earlier.

We have to add to our sriker options big time. Sturridge wants to move so cash in on him. Gomis is not the answer, id rather go for Ba instead. I think we should go for the cheaper option untill we sort out our manager in the summer then give the funds to the manager.
    Try get Walcott and Huntelaar in on the cheap.

Total failure again from Rafa, i dont care what Cup final we are in we should be beating Corintians and taking home a Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm glad I missed the game, thank you to a work party Friday and 12 pubs on the Saturday.

Woke up and forgot about the game, by all accounts it sounds like I missed nothing.

• Advertisement

Supposedly Barca are looking to sign Courtois, I really hope Chelsea don't sell him, absolutely brilliant keeper already.

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Supposedly Barca are looking to sign Courtois, I really hope Chelsea don't sell him, absolutely brilliant keeper already.

Happened in my FM13 actually, but they only laoned him in after his season with A.Madrid.

The club with stupid to sell a keeper of his standard.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Happened in my FM13 actually, but they only laoned him in after his season with A.Madrid.

The club with stupid to sell a keeper of his standard.

A loan deal wouldnt actually be a bad idea, but only if we could have David Villa in a swap ;)

I'm glad I missed the game, thank you to a work party Friday and 12 pubs on the Saturday.

Woke up and forgot about the game, by all accounts it sounds like I missed nothing.

And people give out about the evil of drink just goes to show there is good in it too, wish I had missed that turgid muck yesterday as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

We would be mad to sell him. It would take a large amount of $$£££ for us to sell him though, he is young and only 18 months into a 5 year contract. I value him at more than 20 million tbh.

A loan deal wouldnt actually be a bad idea, but only if we could have David Villa in a swap ;)

I'd doubt he'd dislodge Valdes, as much as I think Valdes is an ok keeper but hes been at Barca all his life so if Courtois was to go on loan he'd probably be back up which wouldnt help him at all.
    And people give out about the evil of drink just goes to show there is good in it too, wish I had missed that turgid muck yesterday as well.

Best hangover I've had knowing that I missed it after I read some reports. :pac:

• Advertisement

MUSEIST wrote: »
    We would be mad to sell him. It would take a large amount of $$£££ for us to sell him though, he is young and only 18 months into a 5 year contract. I value him at more than 20 million tbh.

How much did we sign him for?

€8 million or something?

Has anybody seen much of Kevin De Bruyne with Werder Bremen? He's meant to be doing really well, hopefully he has a future with us.

This summer will be a big one for Chelsea, it will be make or break for a lot of the loaned out players. I can definitely see there being a big clear out. I'd say Josh & Lukaku would be the only ones who are guaranteed to stay on.

Cant see us selling Courtois at all he must be the successor to Petr.

I would not be surprised to see a lot of our loanees brought back into the fold next season. I would say Kalas, Courtois, Josh, PvA, KdB and Lukaku will be brought back there is a rumor that Courtois will be loaned to an English club but I think we should hang onto him and give him decent game time. Not sure if Chalobah or Haz II will be brought back whilst Kakuta and Bruma do not seem to be setting the world on fire. Not sure about the rest of the lads out on loan.

Sadly I do wonder if Ess has played his last game for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I would not be surprised to see a lot of our loanees brought back into the fold next season. I would say Kalas, Courtois, Josh, PvA, KdB and Lukaku will be brought back there is a rumor that Courtois will be loaned to an English club but I think we should hang onto him and give him decent game time. Not sure if Chalobah or Haz II will be brought back whilst Kakuta and Bruma do not seem to be setting the world on fire. Not sure about the rest of the lads out on loan.

But cech signed a new long term deal in the summer so courtois wont be the chelsea goalkeeper for a least several years by which time his contract will have run out. I would not mind a 30mill + courtois (total value 50 mill) for falcao deal in jan or summer.

I reckon Thorgan Hazard, Chalobah & Todd Kane will all be sent back out on loan again.

We seem to have so many good young players out on loan, unfortunately for most of them they'll never get a sniff of 1st team action with us.

• Advertisement

I reckon Thorgan Hazard, Chalobah & Todd Kane will all be sent back out on loan again.

We seem to have so many good young players out on loan, unfortunately for most of them they'll never get a sniff of 1st team action with us.

I fear Josh will never play first team for us

I fear Josh will never play first team for us

I think you could be right, but we'll have to wait to see who takes over as manager and what his plans are.

I think Conor Clifford will be out the door too unfortunately, would of loved to see him line out for us.

Great article here on the enduring rivalry between Chelsea and Leeds:

http://greatwen.com/2012/12/16/north-and-south-the-enduring-hatred-of-chelsea-and-leeds/

Yeah i have to say there is no way we should sell Courtious. We dont need the money and we need an up and coming keep to succeed Cech. We do have a few good players to come in to the squad next season but it all depends on who our manager will be and what terms he is given to take us forward.

It makes me sick that we cannot keep our momentum going since the days of Mourinho. We have a brilliant squad but lack forwards, i think Sturridge is a quality forward and is wasted with us. Why o Why can we not get a consistant manager in : - (

I think McEachran could make it with us once he grows a little bit stronger he would make an excellent deep playmaker. Excellent passer of the ball, great vision for some one so young and for his tiny frame is able to retain the ball under a challenge.

Conor unfortunitly i dont think he will make it with us but i think he could be a decent PL player.

MUSEIST wrote: »
    But cech signed a new long term deal in the summer so courtois wont be the chelsea goalkeeper for a least several years by which time his contract will have run out. I would not mind a 30mill + courtois (total value 50 mill) for falcao deal in jan or summer.

From what I understand both contracts run out in 2016, Courtois is the one for the future by then I would expect him to be between the sticks and Petr playing support (time and tide and all that). Good goalkeepers and rare enough, how many keepers would you swap Petr for right now? Possibly only 2 I could think of at best.

It is only my opinion but we had to fight off a lot of suitors to sign Courtois I think we would be absolutely mad to sell him.

bullpost wrote: »
    Great article here on the enduring rivalry between Chelsea and Leeds:

http://greatwen.com/2012/12/16/north-and-south-the-enduring-hatred-of-chelsea-and-leeds/

Bought a DVD of the Chelsea Leeds cup final earlier this year and showed it to my son. He was shocked by the violence of the players it really was a full blooded cup tie was that. The dislike between Chelsea and Leeds in the 70's especially was intense for sure, it was actual hatred. I remember being at the Bridge on my Birthday for the first game of the season in 1972 or 73 cant remember the year exactly but we beat Leeds 4-0. It was the best Birthday present I have ever had before or since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Well, these are examples, I was neever really into football when i was younger, I started supporting Chelsea in 1997/1998...

Well, these are examples, I was neever really into football when i was younger, I started supporting Chelsea in 1997/1998...

That means your at least 15 years old!!!!!! im shocked!!!

• Advertisement

I started supporting them around then and back then Chelsea had lots of support here in Ireland.
    I was amazed to read in that article that The TV audience for the 1970 FA Cup final replay remains the second largest for any sporting event (after the 1966 World Cup final) and it has the sixth largest TV audience of all time – more than any Champions League or European Cup final involving the self-important Establishment clubs of English football.

But of course we have no history ;)
    Bought a DVD of the Chelsea Leeds cup final earlier this year and showed it to my son. He was shocked by the violence of the players it really was a full blooded cup tie was that. The dislike between Chelsea and Leeds in the 70's especially was intense for sure, it was actual hatred. I remember being at the Bridge on my Birthday for the first game of the season in 1972 or 73 cant remember the year exactly but we beat Leeds 4-0. It was the best Birthday present I have ever had before or since.

Phoenix wrote: »
    We would be crazy to let Courtois go thats for sure!
    Has anyone watched DeBryune play regularly for Bremen?

Seems only the goalkeeper has played more this season and even then only 4 minutes more so it seems he certainly is doing something right over there.

http://www.soccerway.com/teams/germany/sv-werder-bremen/squad/

realistically, our options in January

- Strikers - Wilfried Bony, Darren Bent, Fernando Llorente, Mauro Zarate, Demba Ba, Klaas Jan Huntelaar, Theo Walcott, Robert Lewandowski (cant see it though), Gomis

- Mids - Joao Moutinho, Lewis Holtby, Mathieu Flamini, Moussa Sissoko, Fernandinho, Capoue, Kevin-Prince Boateng,
    Pjanic, Fellaini, Bender

and for replacement for JT in the summer

- Defenders - Benedikt Howedes, Neven Subotic, Holger Badstuber, Serdar Tasci, Simon Kjaer, Yanga-Mbiwa

VERY long shots - Xabi Alonso and David Villa (
    both having less than 2 years left on their contracts.) and of course Falcao.

realistically, our options in January

- Strikers - Wilfried Bony, Darren Bent, Fernando Llorente, Mauro Zarate, Demba Ba, Klaas Jan Huntelaar, Theo Walcott, Robert Lewandowski (cant see it though), Gomis

- Mids - Joao Moutinho, Lewis Holtby, Mathieu Flamini, Moussa Sissoko, Fernandinho, Capoue, Kevin-Prince Boateng,
    Pjanic, Fellaini, Bender

and for replacement for JT in the summer

- Defenders - Benedikt Howedes, Neven Subotic, Holger Badstuber, Serdar Tasci, Simon Kjaer, Yanga-Mbiwa

VERY long shots - Xabi Alonso and David Villa (both having less than 2 years left on their contracts.) and of course Falcao.

Why would we want Alonso and Villa though? Both are on the wrong side of 30 and would command big stupid wages.

Any signings amde in January will be made by Emanelo and Roman and we'll have to wait for a permanent manager before we get proper targets nailed down.

I can see us going for Falcao as Roman has a history of buying his own superstar striker and Falcao is available for the right price. I think we are better off waiting till we sort our selves out with a manager first and then let him make the choices on who we should sign.

However i would like us to sign at least one striker in January, some one cheap. Walcott and Huntelaar id imagine but i think Roman will go for Falcao and maybe another striker like Shurrle.......our course i wont be disapointed if we signed either of them but to me it make s more sense to find a manger first and see what he wants to improve our squad.

From what I understand both contracts run out in 2016, Courtois is the one for the future by then I would expect him to be between the sticks and Petr playing support (time and tide and all that). Good goalkeepers and rare enough, how many keepers would you swap Petr for right now? Possibly only 2 I could think of at best.

It is only my opinion but we had to fight off a lot of suitors to sign Courtois I think we would be absolutely mad to sell him.

I'm just wondering, what 2 keepers are you rating above Cech?

As overall I can think of at least 4 I'd have over Cech, his main weakness is his distribution which has adapted to the loss of Drogba.

I reckon Higuain will be available if Madrid can get Falcao too BTW.

As for keepers i think Cech is a brilliant keep but id have Casillas and Neuer ahead of him in a heart beat!

I'm just wondering, what 2 keepers are you rating above Cech?

As overall I can think of at least 4 I'd have over Cech, his main weakness is his distribution which has adapted to the loss of Drogba.

At a push Neuer in Munich and oddly perhaps Reina from Liverpool. Other than that I think that Petr is getting back to his best but yea his distribution can be found wanting at times.

what a day wrote: »
    I reckon Higuain will be available if Madrid can get Falcao too BTW.

As for keepers i think Cech is a brilliant keep but id have Casillas and Neuer ahead of him in a heart beat!
    At a push Neuer in Munich and oddly perhaps Reina from Liverpool. Other than that I think that Petr is getting back to his best but yea his distribution can be found wanting at times.

Agree on Neuer and Casillas but not on Reina.

I think the 4 best in the EPL would be Hart, Reina, Cech, De Gea and there is very little to seperate them on any given day and just below them, J.Cesar, Lloris, Friedel, Szcezsny, Begovic but I dont think theres a stand out in the league at the moment.

• Advertisement

Agree on Neuer and Casillas but not on Reina.

I think the 4 best in the EPL would be Hart, Reina, Cech, De Gea and there is very little to seperate them on any given day and just below them, J.Cesar, Lloris, Friedel, Szcezsny, Begovic but I dont think theres a stand out in the league at the moment.

I think both Vorm and Begovic is better than DeGea. Hart is a class keeper but has some bad points which he will lose over time and become an excellent keeper.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement