Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2012/2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Buffon yet though.

First person to mention Valdes is getting banned. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Think Hart is a good keeper but too prone to a silly mistake and has a tendency to push a ball into the danger area as well. Good keeper but would take Petr and Pepe before him any day, you also have to bear in mind it is some time since Pepe had a decent defence in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Think Hart is a good keeper but too prone to a silly mistake and has a tendency to push a ball into the danger area as well. Good keeper but would take Petr and Pepe before him any day, you also have to bear in mind it is some time since Pepe had a decent defence in front of him.
    I think Liverpool conceeded less goals in the league last season than Chelsea.
    I don't think Liverpool's defence was bad last season more their inability to score.
    With all that in mind I don't think Reina was at his best last season and made a few individual errors.
    Joe Hart was better than Reina IMO last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

GavRedKing wrote: »

Why would we want Alonso and Villa though? Both are on the wrong side of 30 and would command big stupid wages.

Any signings amde in January will be made by Emanelo and Roman and we'll have to wait for a permanent manager before we get proper targets nailed down.

I'm not saying I want them. I'm just saying what we could sign in Jan.
    We need someone other than Torres and thats not going to be easy or cheap in Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

On a brighter note, Fellaini has been given a three match ban, the last of which is against Chelsea on Sunday the 30th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

RichT wrote: »
    On a brighter note, Fellaini has been given a three match ban, the last of which is against Chelsea on Sunday the 30th.

I'm actually disappointed about this, I'm going over to the game and I was looking forward to watching him play.

It should definitely increase our chances of getting a result though.

I'm not saying I want them. I'm just saying what we could sign in Jan.
    We need someone other than Torres and thats not going to be easy or cheap in Jan

Not cheap certainly. Trying find a bargain and a superstar in January is very difficult.

http://www.weaintgot...ecember-17-2012

Tomas Kalas (Vitesse Arnhem): Kalas might have had the best weekend of all the Chelsea youngsters, assisting both Vitesse goals in the 2-2 draw. It was nice to see that he's back to looking like he's one of the best players in the Eredivisie after a short dip in form.

Jeffrey Bruma (Hamburger SV): Bruma failed to make much of an impression this weekend, as he was an unused sub in a 3-0 loss. I honestly hope we find him a new home in January, as HSV games just aren't a whole lot of fun to watch.

Kevin De Bruyne (Werder Bremen): De Bruyne was immense as Werder drew with Nurnberg on Sunday. His range of passing was excellent, and he managed yet another assist as well as narrowly missing a goal. He was notably better when the opposition has the ball than he usually is, something that is nice to see when considering the fight he'll have to get playing time here.

Michael Essien (Real Madrid): Essien played 65 minutes in a mid-week cup loss to Celta Vigo before being unused in the 2-2 draw with Espanyol. He was his (now) usual solid but unspectacular self in his time on the pitch, and should certainly be considered for a recall for in January.

Josh McEachran (Middlesbrough): McEachran didn't play in the Capital One Cup tie midweek, but he started and played well in Middlesbrough's victory this weekend. He's certainly playing well enough to make Chelsea consider a recall.

It's a funny old world you would have to say, we end up with an interim coach who is tactically outwitted by Sam Allardyce whilst the coach we sack gets coach of the year.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_sacked-chelsea-manager-di-matteo-named-coach-of-year_1778911?

I hope Josh comes back and gets game time, with more experience he could be the midfielder we've missed since Makelele in terms of game management and passing from the back.

Anyone want to try and guess the team for the Leeds game?

I'd nearly hope we go full strength or at least 7,8 first teamers as we can easily win this competition.

• Advertisement

It's a funny old world you would have to say, we end up with an interim coach who is tactically outwitted by Sam Allardyce whilst the coach we sack gets coach of the year.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_sacked-chelsea-manager-di-matteo-named-coach-of-year_1778911?

" The Credit Suisse Coach of the year "

Now thats waht I call making a point to fit an agenda. :pac:

I hope Josh comes back and gets game time, with more experience he could be the midfielder we've missed since Makelele in terms of game management and passing from the back.

Anyone want to try and guess the team for the Leeds game?

I'd nearly hope we go full strength or at least 7,8 first teamers as we can easily win this competition.

Morale in the club really seems to be hitting a low I have not seen for years, pretty much everyone I know who is a Chelsea supporter seems to be peeved about one thing or another (those of you who have read some of my posts recently may have some idea what mine is :rolleyes:) and having lived in West London for many many years I know a lot of Chelsea supporters.

I really believe that putting a few younger players in the team home grown will ferment some goodwill that is really needed right now. None of these players are bad players inexperienced for sure but good players. You can almost take it to the bank that there will be a huge amount of hostility towards our interim manager at the Bridge on Saturday and I am sure that will continue for some time.

Bringing the likes of Josh back in January and promoting one or two lads may just give the fans something positive to focus on. I would agree as well in that I think Josh can do a job for us, has a good eye for a pass and the ability to deliver that pass as well.

Lets see my guess for tomorrow nights team;

Petr, Ryan, Cesar, Ivan, Sideshow, Ram, Saville, Oscar, Marin, Moses, Piazon Subs; Turnbull, Paulo, Ash, Haz, Mata, Lamps, Torres

That is assuming JT and Danny still injured

Morale in the club really seems to be hitting a low I have not seen for years, pretty much everyone I know who is a Chelsea supporter seems to be peeved about one thing or another (those of you who have read some of my posts recently may have some idea what mine is :rolleyes:) and having lived in West London for many many years I know a lot of Chelsea supporters.

I really believe that putting a few younger players in the team home grown will ferment some goodwill that is really needed right now. None of these players are bad players inexperienced for sure but good players. You can almost take it to the bank that there will be a huge amount of hostility towards our interim manager at the Bridge on Saturday and I am sure that will continue for some time.

Bringing the likes of Josh back in January and promoting one or two lads may just give the fans something positive to focus on. I would agree as well in that I think Josh can do a job for us, has a good eye for a pass and the ability to deliver that pass as well.

Oscar is unhappy about not starting the final plus Mikel is confused by Luiz in midfield. Player unrest already!

It was clear before the Club World Cup that Corinthians were taking the tournament far more seriously than Chelsea and that the whole thing was considered more important in Brazil. Perhaps it wasn't also considered the impact that the game and subsequent loss would have on Chelsea's usually happy band of Brazilians.
    David Luiz wept after the loss and Lucas Piazon criticised his team to the South American press. He's since tried to backtrack from the claims but they were widely reported in Brazil and the words directly attributed to him. It was also a TV interview so whilst there was room for misunderstanding, the basis of what Piazon said was clear, he was clearly very annoyed at how he thought certain players had approached a game which meant so much to him and his fellow Brazilians at Chelsea.
    It's not often a player or club has the opportunity to be crowned the best team in the world and that's now been lost by Chelsea and it could conceivably be decades before they get the opportunity again. For players it can be a once in a career opportunity.
    Piazon has understandably tried to backtrack but there's little doubt that in Brazil his interview will have been fairly reported,without a desire to get him into trouble with the football club.
    Now the spotlight is also on Oscar. According to Globo, Brazil's biggest sport outlet, and O Jogo, the youngster was asked why he thought Rafa Benitez didn't start him in the game against Corinthians and responded by saying 'He's crazy'.
    Branding Benitez 'louco' will probably help Oscar's relationship with Chelsea fans but it's a total lack of discipline and footballers and their ignorant bliss still can't quite grasp that what they say to press from their own country won't take long to make it's way back to England. The claims of being mistranslated only go so far.
    However, the atmosphere between Oscar and Benitez won't have been helped by comments on the manager's own official website. This is taken directly without changes:
    _____
    On playing Victor Moses ahead of Oscar

'We knew they had some problems in wide areas behind their full-backs, so we wanted to play somebody with pace and the ability to create something.'
    _____
    It's not worded well and in print looks worse than it will ever have sounded verbally. Benitez obviously (you'd hope) isn't questioning Oscar's ability but it could certainly read like that and when presented in English there's no reason to claim it's not translated correctly.
    Oscar hasn't featured as much under Benitez as he did previously and the relationship is facing a test. Both sides need to learn to be careful about what they say but then Oscar has youth on his side, perhaps it's time Benitez stopped blogging his thoughts on his website. It's not something many managers find helpful.

on Obi Mikel had some interesting comments to make last week after Chelsea's win against Monterrey. He told the Guardian: "It was a bit of a shock to see David [Luiz] lining up there,' [in midfield] I said to him as we got on to the pitch: Where shall I play?"

"He said he'd play the holding role and that I should go forward. I said OK but, when the game started, I looked up and he was already up their end of the pitch."
    "David [Luiz] is a great player, but I don't know if this is going to be a long-term thing.
    "I think he needs to play at the back. It was a good performance from him - he kept the ball well and played it well - but when it's not your normal position you sometimes lose something."
    His comments are pretty indicative of the uncertainty at Chelsea at the moment.
    Jon Obi Mikel appears clearly not to be a fan of Benitez, previously being dropped for Oriol Romeu. His comments prompt the following questions:
    - Why is a Chelsea player coming out and openly criticising the tactics?
    Could you imagine Lampard doing this, or even Mikel doing it under Di Matteo? Or God forbid under Mourinho? Not a chance. Benitez clearly has not got the dressing room entirely onside.
    - Why did Mikel and Luiz only ask each other on the pitch where they would be playing?
    Benitez is hailed as a 'master tactician' by many Liverpool fans, but Chelsea supporters are yet to see this. Rafa should have rehearsed this experiment in training so that Mikel would know what to expect when Luiz came on.
    - Was Luiz' too ill-disciplined to play as a holding midfielder?
    Luiz says he wanted to play as a holding midfield player, yet the Brazilian was 'bombing up in attack' according to Mikel. Luiz is a flair player, and the role requires high concentration and discipline, attributes it is unclear that Luiz has. Was he ignoring Benitez' instructions in joining the attack?
    - Is Mikel simply worried about his own berth?
    Perhaps Mikel was too worried about losing his own place, having previously been dropped by Benitez. He fears his days are numbered and knows if Luiz steps into midfield he will compete for his position alongside Ramires. His comments, trying to usher Luiz into a return to centre-back, simply display his own insecurity.
    ---
    Rafa seems to have no end of challenges at Chelsea, and the game against Monterrey was perhaps a good one to experiment, but he needs to keep the players onside. Mikel appears to be questioning his manager's decisions, and this is a dangerous game for player and manager. Benitez' position is precarious, but the manager may simply look to sell the Nigerian in January.
    If he doesn't, and Mikel's discontent is echoed around the dressing room, the interim in front of Rafa Benitez's job title could become former sooner than we expect.

TBF to Luiz, against Monterrey it was clear as day that 2 holding CM's wasnt needed so why sit back with 3 other players, better off ahving obe of the 2 CM's support the attack.

I reckon Rafa will want to win before a tricky enough game against a Villa who look like they could be turning the corner.

Team to face Leeds :

Cech
    Azp Ivan Luiz Bertie
    Ramires Mikel
    Moses Oscar Marin
    Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

TBF to Luiz, against Monterrey it was clear as day that 2 holding CM's wasnt needed so why sit back with 3 other players, better off ahving obe of the 2 CM's support the attack.

I reckon Rafa will want to win before a tricky enough game against a Villa who look like they could be turning the corner.

Team to face Leeds :

Cech
    Azp Ivan Luiz Bertie
    Ramires Mikel
    Moses Oscar Marin
    Torres

I thought mikel was suspended

Team to face Leeds :

Cech
    Azp Ivan Luiz Bertie
    Ramires Mikel
    Moses Oscar Marin
    Torres

When does the Mikel ban start?

MUSEIST wrote: »

Great minds think alike ...... fools seldom differ :D

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Great minds think alike ...... fools seldom differ :D

Forgot about his ban.

Leeds will be up for this game given I've forgotten about Mikel's ban :

Cech
    Azp Ivan Luiz Bertie
    Ramires Oscar
    Moses Mata Marin
    Torres

In all fairness we could easily go strongest 11 to but I fancy Rafa to change it up a bit.

i think Cahill getting sent off has cost us Luiz in CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

http://thechelseablog.org/2012/12/18/do-chelsea-and-roman-need-to-see-this/

Good article, may have been already posted, but the picture says a lot !!!

• Advertisement

Would agree regarding Cahill think Sideshow would have started in CM but we are not blessed with CB's at the moment so they pick themselves really.

I think Mata and Haz will be given a rest, would think they will be on the bench in the event they are needed but may not start. Torres will almost certainly start, should also almost certainly not not but will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

So what will be said if Torres wins us the game? :p

Torres has to play, Leeds will be far to physical for Piazon to play CF on his own, I'd have no problem playing wide or CAM but not through the middle alone.

Torres has not shown himself to be capable of coping with physical play himself of late and has lost pace which at least Piazon has. But Torres will start, I don't agree that he has to or should but he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

IMO, Lampard is nailed on to start, this is a game where an experienced head will be needed.

Only issue I would have with Lamps is only one game after a long spell out with injury, shed load of travelling. If he is really up for it yes but only if he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Rafa will have to win this game and will put out a strong as possible side but id imagine he will rest one or two players. Il go with

Cech

Azpilicueta----Ivan----Luiz----Bertrand

Ramires
    Lampard

--Moses
    Oscar
    Marin--

Torres

I would not be suprized to see one of either Hazard or Mata start also but this is the team i would start with.

Rafa says Sturridge has trained with us and has no problem. I still dont see him playing and we will more than likely sell him to liverpool in january.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

I really, really, really hope Marin gets 90 minutes.

I didn't realise Ram was suspended for this tie as well, suppose Lamps has to start regardless now.

http://www.london24.com/sport/chelsea/sturridge_still_doubtful_and_trio_suspended_for_leeds_clash_1_1746181

Who is available then to play the deep role?

Just Oscar and Lamps?

what a day wrote: »
    Who is available then to play the deep role?

Just Oscar and Lamps?

Of the Senior players, it seems like it.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Any paper gossip>?

Nothing major, just articles about Rafa's tactics found in a bin in the dressing room after the game.

Any paper gossip>?

You had to ask!
    ChelsTransferGossip ‏@ChelsTransfer
    Falcao will complete his move to #CFC this January with a pre contract and fee already having been agreed between both parties [PuntoPelota]

Our 3 main targets are Falcao, Fellani and Walcoot ;)

BTW Danny is back in contention!

Rafael Benitez has confirmed Daniel Sturridge trained with the squad on Tuesday in the first session since Sunday's Club World Cup final defeat in Japan.
    The group arrived back to London from Tokyo on Monday afternoon, and was in early at Cobham to prepare for Wednesday's trip to Leeds United for our Capital One Cup quarter-final tie. Normally, that would mean a flight this afternoon and a night in a hotel, but instead the squad and staff will travel north on the day.
    'We had to train, it's the best way to recover quickly. A normal training session, not too hard, and we are ready now,' said the interim manager.
    'The players are okay, we have suspensions but in terms of fitness they are fine and available, apart from what we knew before. Daniel Sturridge was training with us, he is fine.'
    John Terry, however, is still not ready despite progress being made.
    'With John Terry, the knee is quite complicated, sometimes it is going well, but the day after we have to wait a little bit,' he admitted. 'He is closer but I can't say how close. It is getting better.'
    The trip to Elland Road, our first meeting with our famous rivals since 2004, comes amid a gruelling schedule that has seen a minimum of two games a week for the past month, with a nine-day jaunt to Japan included. Benitez is only too aware of the demands on his players, and knows we must be careful.
    'We have played seven games, this one will be eight games in 24 days, so it isn't easy with a new manager when you don't have time to prepare games, play and go to Japan, but that is the situation and we have to manage it,' said the Spaniard.
    'But when you're a top side in different competitions, this is the way. For us every trophy is important and if we win we are in the semi-finals, so we will try to do our best, to win, and then be in the final and to win.'

• Advertisement

Any paper gossip>?

Cheryl Cole’s mum has apparently told Tre Holloway that he cannot propose to Cheryl over Christmas like he had planned, as it’s ‘too soon.’ :D

Cheryl Cole’s mum has apparently told Tre Holloway that he cannot propose to Cheryl over Christmas like he had planned, as it’s ‘too soon.’ :D

Is she not gone back to Tweedy? Also, saying I despise that women would be an understatement.

Seen those easrlier and its nothing you wouldnt expect from set pieces from a Zonal coach.

I wouldnt really call them secrets but I suppose its a slow enough news day at the moment.

• Advertisement

Jaysus Falcao and Fellaini in the January transfer window :eek: possible?
    Plus Walcoot - only cost 100 million PLUS wages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Plus Walcoot - only cost 100 million PLUS wages!

If Walcott is leaving Arsenal because they won't play him as a lone striker ... is he really likely to be put in that role at Chelsea?! I sincerely hope not :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Balague just said that Falcao to us is a done deal, hope its true:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Someone posted it on the shed, but another Spanish journo said it too.

Balague was correct about Torres

smuckers wrote: »
    Someone posted it on the shed, but another Spanish journo said it too.

Balague was correct about Torres

Yep, seen loads of quotes about it being a done deal, dont believe it

Edit - nothing on his twitter account - his usual way of saying stuff

just remember..............Hulk , Neymar , Robinho , Modric , Pastor!!1

smuckers wrote: »
    Balague just said that Falcao to us is a done deal, hope its true:D

Dont ever trust what he says, seriously the guy has self inflated ego and his "in the know" information is usually off.

He coukd be correct but if ya sling enough mud sometime it sticks, i dont think theres any doubt we are looking for a CF but if its Falcao and in January Id be very very surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/365666

Sick of all this bull****! it's always the new this lad or that lad! Didn't we already get the new Drogba when we bough Lukaku?

Well, looks like Dannys off, so does that mean 1 or 2 new strikers?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement